The Beast

Pilot

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jan 15, 2009 on A&E

6.6
  • Patrick Swayze is back in this new series! But will the show be able to keep up with him?

I don't have much to say about this first episode. I thought Swayze was great, and Dove wasn't as compelling, but I think it's too early to tell. I do like having 'Blade' and crew investigating Barker – and trying to bring Dove in on it. The pilot was put together well, introducing all the players and the potential story lines down the line. More than that there's not much else to say. I think I'm gonna watch a few more to see where Swayze and company take it.
    Bottom Line: Swayze is great in this role, and has gotten critical acclaim for his acting here, let's hope that he won't have to carry the load on this one and that Dove and the others can hold their own!

More at www.theplurp.com
  • Edge of my seat...

If this pilot is any indication of the what the rest of the first season is like, I can appreciate what all the hype is about. Within the pilot we get introduced to UC Barker and his new partner Ellis. Ellis is very green and naive in regards to his role as an undercover. It's Barker job to teach him in order to keep him alive. Their first case is tracking down bad guys who want to purchase missle launchers. They get the job done but unfortunately at the close of the case Ellis learns that it's just not his abilities that he was picked, there is a team of agents who think Barker has crossed one to many lines and is in too deep. This team is putting it on Ellis to prove their case. Ellis isn't sure who or what to believe. Barker is a prick and everyone knows it but they also know he's the best at getting the job done. I'll be interested to see how this unfolds.
  • Patrick Swayze at his best

I don't really get why the low show score. I was really impressed with this show. Patrick Swayze is doing a good job playing the part of the experienced and not so nice veteran cop.
    Some say it looks like The Shield.. well, can't help seing some similar stuff but it stands up on its own..

The rookie agent being approached to spy on his partner was a nice touch.
    Gives something else to pay attention to besides the infiltration cases they work on every episode.

Overall, can't say much til I see like half a season but so far, I enjoyed the show.