The Beast

A&E (ended 2009)

The Beast Fan Reviews (11)

• I'm going to go against the grain and say that I'm really enjoying "The Beast" so far. Instead of a run of the mill formulaic effort I found a great show built on a solid premise which, given time & effort, could easily grow into something special.

I will admit that a lot of my enjoyment of "The Beast" stems from Travis Fimmel although I hasten to add that I'm not being totally shallow and, although he is very nice to look at (!), I was ultimately won over by his portrayal of Ellis. He's got that bratty, rebellious but ultimately charming approach off to a tee and it works very well against the gruffness of Patrick Swayze's Barker. I really like the idea of Ellis being approached by those investigating Barker right at the beginning of their relationship, it gives both Ellis and the audience a level of distrust towards Barker from the outset which, in turn, makes it more interesting to closely watch and second guess his actions and motives. There's a great on-screen chemistry between the two leads and I look forward to seeing it played and worked with more in the future :)

I'm hoping this show gets a good shot at life. It has just been bought by a channel over here in the UK and for a premiering US series to be bought so early on its life is very unusual. I'm hoping a bit of trans-atlantic interest will help it along a little!