The Benny Hill Show Forums

ITV (ended 1989)

Benny plays a rock star in a biography sketch

bassfish

[1]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 1

I would like to know which episode of The Benny Hill Show had a skit (it ran for almost the entire show) that was a biography of a famous fictitious rock star. There were interviews of his fans, friends, bandmates and family. I can't remember the name of the fictitious rock star, but I'm pretty sure Benny Hill played the part in the skit. It was kind of like Spinaltap but way before that movie was made. I remember laughing through the entire episode. Any help would be appreciated.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]May 3, 2008
    • level: 39
    bassfish wrote:
    I would like to know which episode of The Benny Hill Show had a skit (it ran for almost the entire show) that was a biography of a famous fictitious rock star. There were interviews of his fans, friends, bandmates and family. I can't remember the name of the fictitious rock star, but I'm pretty sure Benny Hill played the part in the skit. It was kind of like Spinaltap but way before that movie was made. I remember laughing through the entire episode. Any help would be appreciated.

It was actually the final third of his Sept. 24, 1975 show, but . . . he played the singer in question, "Tex Cymbal"; his mother; his brother; a city gent, "Arthur Primm"; his old teacher "Freda Drunge"; an American teenage girl attending his first U.S. concert; "Old Grey Whistle Tester" host Bob Harris; and U.S. tour sideman "Hank Key." And in a sense you're right, it did anticipate This Is Spinal Tap by less than a decade.

bassfish

[3]Jun 5, 2008
    • level: 1
    Hi W-B,

I received the DVD today from Netflix and yes, you are correct. This is the skit I remember seeing years ago. You couldn't have been more helpful. It settled something that has been bouncing around in my brain for years. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Is it just me, or is Benny Hill a total hoot?