Most Popular Sitcom Ever?

tvking1

[1]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 42

I don't think that's an entirely unreasonable observation. If you can find a list of the most-watched half-hour sitcom episodes of all time, you'll find it is dominated by episodes of TBH. "The Giant Jackrabbit" (1/8/64) was the most-watched prime time telecast of any kind up to that time (a record broken a few weeks later when the Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show), and remains the most-watched half-hour sitcom episode, as is noted in its episode guide. With the proliferation of cable and satellite channels, that's a record that will likely never be broken.

TBH may not have been the most sophisticated of TV sitcoms (to my mind, that distinction belongs to The Dick Van Dyke Show, forget that silly Seinfeld), but it may have been the most popular, if ratings are any indication. Any comments?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheDiamondDog

[2]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 61
    I could see that. One of the most popular for sure.

Mac-Ale

[3]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 60
    It may have suffered a bit from a lack of syndication after its CBS morning run ended. Shows like "I Love Lucy", "Gilligan's Island", and even the "Brady Bunch" got a leg up in 70s syndication.

tvking1

[4]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 42

Mac-Ale wrote:
    It may have suffered a bit from a lack of syndication after its CBS morning run ended. Shows like "I Love Lucy", "Gilligan's Island", and even the "Brady Bunch" got a leg up in 70s syndication.

You're probably right about that. It may have been the most popular sitcom during its time, but posterity has been a bit kinder to the shows you mentioned, because of their huge success in syndication.

I remember it mostly from its CBS morning run in the early 1970s. About halfway through each episode Granny would step before the camera between commercials holding a frying pan with some message on it, something like "We'll be right back". That was at 8:45 AM local time. When she did that, I knew that it was time to leave for school.

aesgaard41

[5]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 34
    I agree. After Lucy, Gilligan, the Bradys, Bewitched and maybe Hogan's Heroes.

Zebra_3

[6]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 12

The Beverly Hillbillies is one of my favourites - defiantly my favourite 60s sitcom.

revbucky

[7]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 22
    It's in my top 10 comedies.

spongebobs1fan

[8]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 21
    maby