The Beverly Hillbillies

CBS (ended 1971)

crazyrhythm

The Beverly Hillbillies Fan Reviews (26)

• saw it once

saw it once didnt laugh yknow why it aint no seinfeld hey someone tell me how they get rich i donno but that old lady is cranky sometimes its just not good and that tall guy while yknow wat hes up too and all the characters wats up with that they dont know a shoe from a hat i would never watch this hmm wonder wats on i wanna watch something good not this hey is that arrested develpoment tahts good i'll watch that this show is classic but not good if you are homosexual watch it and then call me hotcakes

EROK
  • this is a old black and white show about some poor hillbillies moving into beverly hills.

I like this show alot, and i would like to see more of, it but it really doesnt come on any more. i love the comedy, and humor of this show, and most of the time i was forgetting that im watching the show in black and white. there was some dry humor in it, but i cant blame ab show that was made about eighty years ago. My mopm and grandmother love this show, and i like it too, but waht i didnt like was that horrible movie that they made of the series, it was a mockery. But this is not about the movie it it about the show, so i will just end this aying that this is a good show and i really enjoy it.
  • Funny all the way

7.8
    The Beverly Hillbillies was a TV sitcom about a hillbilly family living in Southern California in the 1960s.
    The patriarch strikes oil while hunting on his land near a fictionalized town called Bugtussle in the Ozark Mountains. After becoming wealthy he follows the advice of friends, neighbors family, and moves with his family to Beverly Hills,
  • The Beverly Hillbillies is good old-fashioned American comedy. A comfortable, friendly, and good-hearted show.

The Beverly Hillbillies is good old-fashioned TV. Sure the humor isn't now, and wasn't then, cutting edge -- but sometimes it's nice to sit and watch some simple good-hearted comedy.

The jokes are standard sitcom fare, and the characters broad stereotypes. Still their humanity showed through. Granny toting her shotgun was always funny, Jethro always dumb, but happy -- and Elly May always the pretty tomboy.

The premise was as simple as can be -- the fish out-of-water hillbilly Clampett clan in Beverly Hills -- but America immediately loved it. The series lasted almost a decade and was #1 in the ratings it's first two years. Since then its folksy comedy has survived as a rerun staple, entertaining, literally, generations.

One of the classics of American comedy.
  • The irony of this show is that it is just so literal! If you listen to the lines of the characters, you can see how literal they interpret everything. Do country folk really interprete things this way? Who knows! But lots of fun anyhow.

I loved watching this show every Friday night in prime time back in the day. I enjoy catching the Saturday mini marathons when they are on. I do enjoy the honesty of the characters and how the Clampets were portrayed as so very unpretentious. Even though they were living in the "Hills" of Beverly, they held fast and true to their old fashioned, down home morals and values. That is something to say for a family who has gone from rags to riches - then or now. I do enjoy the literal content of the script and am constantly surprised each time I watch an episode how the comedy was mixed with literal references for adults. This wonderful writing combination made the show entertaining for children and for adults, resulting in a great all around family show.
  • Black Gold

Black Gold, Texas Tea.
    I really like this show I haven't got to see all the episodes but ever sinsce I've seen the episode with the "Giant Jack Rabbit" I've been hooked. I bought it on dvd and I still enjoy watching the same episods over and over. Granny is so funny I love the way she walks and all her cures for sicknesses. I also liked it how Jane liked Jethro and would try to get his attention. Overall everyone on this show is really good, they each bring somthing to the show and the whole consept of the show never gets old.
  • A family of hillbillies strike oil, and move to Beverly Hills, hilarity ensues.

I love this show, it's a show that could only have been made in the 60's, the hilarity comes from, the hillbillies naive perception of the Beverly Hills environment. The inter-play between the greedy banker, Milburn Drysdale, and the Clampett family is hilarious, and his never ending efforts to keep them happy, so they won\\\'t move back to the hills, and take their 50 million with them. The cast on this are perfect in their roles, I could'nt picture anyone else playing "granny", the cast jelled very well, and that must be one of the reasons for it's successful 9 year run. I highly recommend checking this show out.
  • Good Ole Time

It was a pity that it got cancelled. I love it :)
    Grannie was a riot. She was the best to watch in the show. Jethro was a total airhead but They make it fun to watch and writing made it believeable to some of the sitiuation they got themselves into :) I love watching this show anyday :)
  • An Original Fish-out-of-water Classic

There's always something funny about watching a fish live on land - people who just don't seem to fit in, yet rise above their surroundings. It could be the most naive country boy ever, recruited by the Marines. Or it could be an Eastern European heiress married to a Harvard Attorney, choosing to live on a God-forsaken farm. Or it could be the poorest of poor, suddenly finding wealth, and having no idea how to handle it.

When The Beverly Hillbillies was running, it reminded me of a similar show: The Second Hundred Years. TSHY never made it, because it tried to compete with perfection in The Beverly Hillbillies.
  • Very Well Made Series

Several series have tried to be funny based on the "simple misunderstanding" principal, but "The Beverly Hillbillies" did it first and funniest. The characters included Jed - a poor but wise mountain man who used his good old country wisdom and saying to rationalize everything, Granny - the world's oldest Confederate widow with moonshine in one hand and a shotgun in the other, Jethro - the idiot savante who thought he was a genius and then Elly Mae - the demurely sexy tom boy who could fight like a wild cat. Add to this repetoire the cheap and opportunistic banker Milburne Drysdale and his voice of reason, Jane Hathaway, starting out as the only normal person in the series but who later turns out to be as crazy as the rest because of her Birdwatchers Club, and you have a recipe for disaster. This show had a great cast and numerous wonderful episodes and well-crafted storylines that continued sometimes for eight to ten episodes, a thing unusual for a Sixties series. My favorite character is and always be Shorty Kellums, the short innkeeper from back home who was quite the ladies man up until the next storyline.
  • Get ready to laugh, the good old fassioned way!

This show is so funny! Laugh, Cry (from laughing), get sick (from laughing, and from Granny's food), and laugh some more! Jed Clampett, a poor hillbilly living out in the middle of no where with his family, strikes oil on his property. When an oil company offers to buy his land for a few hundred million dollars, Jed isn't quite sure what he's gotten himself into. His sister in lay Pearl convinces him to move to Beverly Hills, California. The rest of the show describes the hillarious antics of Jed, his beautiful young daughter Elly May, his none-to-bright nephew Jethro, and his kick-but Mother in law Granny as they learn about life with the rich and famous, while the rich and famous learn to deal with them! In a few episodes Pearl and her daughter Jethreen (Jethro is Pearl's son, forgot to say) come to visit. The president of the bank keeping the Clampett fortune, Mr. Drysdale, is thier neighbor and is desparate to keeps them (and their money) in Beverly Hills. This is an old show, in black and white. Part of the fun is seeing all the things they considered 'new' back then. If you haven't seen this show, WATCH IT!! This is the funniest show, and it's good for all ages!
  • Legendary Sitcom

What's the wittiest show I've ever seen "Beverly Hillbillies" would probably my answer! This crazy sitcom is really a bomb!!!! The actors is plainly talented with great acting ability and everyone is a comedian here so no dull moments and each episodes are truly enjoyable . I have great love for Granny, of course! She's really great and funny! I also searched everywhere to obtain my own copy of this show and found it at memorylanedvd. com . Glad I received good quality set! Eventhough, I have seen all of the episodes of it before, I still enjoy watching every moment of it until now! One of the renowned or I must say the Legendary Sitcom ever-produced!
  • The Beverly Hillbillies was is THE classic.

Buddy Ebsen was as down to earth in real life as he was on TV. My uncle was managing the office of his hotel and when business slowed he sat down to watch the Beverly Hillbillies as Buddy Ebsen came in to rent a room. My uncle said, "I'm watching you on TV right now." Buddy said, "We're not on for another hour." My uncle said, "You're on right now." Buddy said, "Oh, I forgot to set my watch ahead leaving Denver." He then said, "Can I watch it with you? So, my uncle watched Beverly Hillbillies with Buddy Ebsen.
  • One of the all time greats

While this show was cancelled long before I was born, I am glad that it lived on in syndication forever. This is a prime example of television at it's best. Along with the old Andy Griffith Show, it set the bar for all other comedies to follow.

It was fine quality family programming back then and it still passes the test of time. I am very glad that so many generations have been able to see the show. And I hope that all of the generations in the future get the chance as well.

Eventhough most of the cast is dead and gone, they will always be remembered.
  • I still would like to watch it..... anyone know if the beverly hills mansion is a real address or just a screen set???

funny, reminds me of growing up , sleep overs, county fair and leaving the house in the morning during summer break from school and not having to check in till dark, no one had to worry either what a much more fun time. who hasnt had a crazy neighbor..... i always loved all the animals at the cement pond and bugged my mom for the same now granny's cooking i could do without. Uncle jeb had such a big heart. Even sometimes now you think , you would like to go back to such an easier time thanks for reminding me how much i enjoyed the easy things from the past.
  • This was one of my favorite shows as a child. Buddy Ebsen was the PERFECT choice to play the role of Jed Clampett.

The Clampett family had a shack in the Appalachian Mountains. They were barely surviving, until...one day, Jed Clampett decided to go hunting with his bloodhound, Duke. Instead of finding a rabbit for his Sunday dinner, Jed found something much more valuable. He struck OIL! Jed's cousin convinced him to move to Beverly Hills. He took his daughter, Elly and his nephew, Jethro. He also took his mother-in-law, who the family affectionately called "Granny". Sadly, Jed had lost his wife a few years earlier. (This later became the plot of the big-screen Beverly Hillbillies movie in which Jethro wants his uncle to re-marry). The Clampetts arrive in Beverly Hills and face major culture shock. Their new mansion is 10 times bigger than their old home! They never had a swimming pool before. Granny had been accustomed to cooking on a wood burning stove. She was totally confused by her new electric range, refrigerator, and dishwasher. Every week, I enjoyed watching the misadventures of Jed and his family. This is one of the all time greatest comedies to ever be produced.
  • I wish it was still on

I really like this show I haven't got to see all the episodes yet but ever sinsce I've seen the episode with the "Giant Jack Rabbit" I've been hooked. I bought it on dvd and I still enjoy watching the same episods over and over. Granny is so funny I love the way she walks and all her cures for sicknesses. I also liked it how Jane liked Jethro and would try to get his attention. Overall everyone on this show is really good, they each bring somthing to the show and the whole consept of the show never gets old.
  • THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, Greatest sitcom EVER. Each character, brillant & funny.

Jed didn't miss his shot,which led to the discovery of BLACK GOLD. Fans of the show know the muzzle ball had to go thru the varmint, Clampetts don't miss, not even the beautiful ELLY MAE with her slingshot, they shoot wings off flies way over into Pixley. Jed, in all his wisdom, Granny was the BEST what ever she did,esp. doctoring & cooking all those delicacies, NO comic actor can touch JETHRO ( who did well after the series ended, ahead of his time & imageative in the business world) Elly Mae, with that rope belt around those jeans, more than a 12 year boy should have seen. And the supportive cast members, each one addng to balance of the show. It wasn't until HAPPY DAys came along did anything come close.
  • This show is the best comedy that ever came out I laugh till I go kerflop on the floor. I rate this show s solid 6 star rating. So my favorite character is Jethro and Granny and Jed And duke. And I like it when they call it the cement pond.

And I like when Granny gets out the moon shine and Granny starts tasting it. Their was this one time were granny was tasting the moon shine and she thought she saw a bird ridding horseback on the cat. I love this show I love this show. This is the only comedy thats funny.
  • Its my cup of Texas,tea!

Its a funny and old classic.I always watch it then its on tv.Granny is my favorite character in this show cause shes always going on about something that is out to lunch or something or another lol.Oh and i can't forget the great theme song for the show.Next to the "Happy Days" theme song this one is one of my favorite classic themes.This show always makes me laugh,which is why i like it.Its a true classic show that should be always remembered.Most likey no one is ever going to read this review,so whats the point of writing more after i hit 103 words.
  • Black Gold, Texas Tea.

• I liked The Beverly Hillbillies. I have been watching it since it was replayed. I like Jane Hathaway played by Nancy Kulp because she used to make me laugh.

Jed Clampett and kin, a poor Ozark Hillbilly family, were barely surviving until one lucky day. Jed while hunting for food in his swamp missed his target and struck the ground with his shot. Up through the ground came a bubbling crude, Oil that is, Black Gold, Texas Tea. After selling his swamp to the OK Oil Company for $25 Million, Cousin Pearl convinces Jed he should move his family to Beverly Hills. Jed and his family get to Beverly Hills, and their money goes into the Commerce.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes. They helped to make the story more exciting.

Some of the main characters were Elly May, Jed, Jane, Daisy Moses “Granny” and Milburn

Each episode is a story on its own but it forms part of the whole story.
  • This was too funny.

This show is one of the best shows out there. It is so kick *** and has classic humor that anyone can enjoy. It is an old show but it is still hilarious to watch. It is so cool. My friends always ask why i watch old shows. I always tell them because i watch what i wanna watch. This show is so kick ***.
  • Its cool but its before my time tho!

Jed Clampett and kin, a poor Ozark Hillbilly family, were barely surviving until one lucky day. Jed while hunting for food in his swamp missed his target and struck the ground with his shot. Up through the ground came a bubblin' crude, Oil that is, Black Gold, Texas Tea. After selling his swamp to the OK Oil Company for 1 Billion, Cousin Pearl convinces Jed he should move his family to Beverly Hills.
    Videos.
    And its very good and its a classic like Lassie and others.
    So i dont watch it much but its good!
    Its a very polite and nice show so try it!

-Rocko5820
  • Come listen to my review bout a man name Jed. And Granny, Elly, and Jethro. The Beverly Hillbillies!

The Beverly Hillbillies is a show I started watching when I was only 11. My first episode was when Jed mistaked the Navy vessel for a yacht. And after that I fell in love with the show. I watched every episode and found ever one pleasing. I know that during the first three seasons it was the number one show in the country, and by the last season, it dropped to the 25th place. But in my opinion, the show never stopped being funny. It was constantly pleasing. This shpw will remain a classic, and will continue to entertain audiences for years to come.
  • One of the best shows ever made!

A show with no vulgar language, no immorality, no filty ideals or behavior.

The Hillbillies were just good, CLEAN, and FUNNY shows! These modern folk are so spoiled by computer graphics and filth that they can't see GOOD shows!

Bring back the dignity, humor, and decency of the 60's!!!!!! Perhaps if we had more shows like this for our kids the violence and other modern terrors would lessen.