A The Big Bang Theory Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on CBS

The Big Bang Theory's universe is expanding. And expanding. And expanding! Sheldon, Leonard, Raj, and Howard will be around for a long time, as CBS has renewed the hit comedy for three (THREE!!!) more seasons. That means The Big Bang Theory will be on the air through the 2016-2017 season and reach one of television's great benchmarks: the god-like Season 10. 

A three-season renewal is extremely rare in the TV business, but not so uncommon for the ratings juggernaut The Big Bang Theory. CBS gave the show a three-season renewal back in 2011, which brought it all the way to the current seventh season. That just goes to show how important The Big Bang Theory is to CBS. The series is averaging 19.79 million viewers and a 6.1 rating among adults 18-49, according to the network. Wow.

As part of the deal, The Big Bang Theory's cast can expect a big bump in salary, too. They currently each make $350,000 an episode, but with all the money the show is bringing in for CBS, they could find themselves making a ridiculous amount of cash soon. Do NOT be scared to ask Johnny Galecki to buy you a drink next time you see him.

TRIVIA TIME! Can you name the three other live-action comedies to reach Season 10 since the year 2000? (They specifically hit Season 10 after 2000, but not before.) The answer is in the comments!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/2/2016

Season 10 : Episode 10

176 Comments
Comments (176)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The show has over 10 million viewers each week, so why wouldn't they renew it? It's never been on the bubble so cbs will renew as long as they can. I don't see any reason for them to stop unless the actors had enough. But with the money they are making they would be unwise to do so.
Flag
how I met your mother, 2.5 men, Sunny in Philly?
Flag
sooo.. i cant figure out the ans to the trivia Q (not watching enough comedies apparently)..
what are the shows hitting 10 seasons post 2000? i just checked and seinfeld only has 9 seasons.. is it friends, fraiser, and two and a half men? did i miss out anything? do all the 3 shows consider as live-action comedy?
Flag
why?
i'm sorry, I love this show but this is sooo bad nowadays :( and though i think kaley cuoco is funny and everything, Penny is pretty much the most annoying character of all the show's I'm watching ATM (and it's a LOT of shows.), the "i'm pretty blonde who's always drunk"-bit is getting old.
Flag
and penny was one of the major character on the show heck that is why the show was even created .. the original major plot was about scientists and a girl with completely different lifestyle and point of views and a contrast of their individuality .. that is why they made the character drinks .. i love all characters on TBBT .. and i didn't say one of them is boring "just being boring" like sheldon i love sheldon but they need to develop his character more and mature or human like .. i hope next season develops all character ... based on your comment i could clearly see you haven't watch it entirely or didn't really get the core point of the or it could be you are just a viewer not a fan of the show
Flag
*of the show
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
wait what? are you sure you're watching the same show? i watch and rewatch the show so many times and i don't see penny as annoying and she is not drunk 24/7 she is the most fun character on the show the one who is being annoying is sheldon .. will he ever grow up in the show? cause making sheldon a pain in the ass longer is really irritating and a bore
Flag
Flag
another sitcom to reach 10+ seasons: The great Married with... Children :)
Flag
Friends and Frasier. Two and a Half Men doesn't count for me. I stopped watching that when Charlie left. And it's more like Three full grown guys now, or something. There's no was Jake is half a man. Is he still on the show?
Flag
Jake was replaced with lesbian Jenny (Amber Tamblyn), who is hillarious and made show funny again for me.
Flag
bring on more seasons. in a world of shitty shows being born every second i am happy to watch this show for another 3 years. turn up the comedy a bit and keep the character development and they will be fine.
Flag
But who can name the other nine live-action sitcoms that have reached ten years in TV history?
Hint: Three sitcoms hit the tenth season in each of the 1960s, 1980s and 1990s.
Flag
Always Sunny in Philly will also mark season 10 later this year. Anyway...cool news for the cast
Flag
Stop acting all surprised. TBBT is a juggernaut, plain and simple. What sitcom tropes they will exploit next? The inevitable pregnancy plot? Watch out, Penny.,,
Flag
Big Bang Theory is still a funny show, but it was much funnier in it's early years when Howard was single, living with his mom and hitting on Penny; Leonard was hopelessly chasing Penny, Raj couldn't speak to women and Sheldon was unattached.Addition of two new cast members was risky, it has complicated matters unnecessarily and somewhat watered down the comedy. I think with the way things stand today giving them three years is too much, just give them one or two and call it a day.
Flag
its

Grammar Police -- to correct and serve.
Flag
Grammar Police; to correct and to serve.

Actually, what I find odd is that in that sentence the thing you picked on was 'it's'.
Flag
I'm always wary of the multi-season renewal. Yes, right now the Big Bang Theory is awesome because the cast is perfect, but take one major cast member out and the show would fall apart. Say, Jim Parsons (who put the show on the map and has become the de facto main character even though he was originally the eccentric best friend.) decided to pursue other interests such as a serious movie career. Or Kaley Cuoco. Or Johnny Galecki. I get why the show got a multi-season renewal as opposed to season by season like some other shows I know (Supernatural) but I worry it may end up like the last season of That 70s Show or, worse yet, Two and a Half Men (which I fee is now being constantly renewed out pf pure spite against Charlie Sheen, since no one I know likes the show now that the "Half Man" was replaced by "Full Woman.")
Flag
What on earth are they going to be doing for the next 3 years???? The show is already basically as boring as dirt. I see babies coming. It's inevitable. The Howard Procreation cometh!
Flag
What for? That's just completely insane!
Flag
Maybe they can afford to spend some more money on the writing. Most of series 4, 5 and 7 have been terrible - this current series in particular has been a huge disappointment after they found form again in most of the last one.

As an aside to the people below who can't understand why the negative comments - it's because the show was so good before, showed in series 6 that it could be good again, and has been such a huge disappointment since. I want the show to be good, I want them to remember why the show was such a breath of fresh air in the first place, and to reduce the amount of unfunny soap opera dross that they've injected.
Flag
That's great News..Big Bang Theory Deserves This...Congratz...

Friends, How I Met Your Mother..
Flag
HIMYM only reached season 9, not 10.
Flag
Then they should seriously start to consider making things evolve. But we're talking about Lorre...
Anyway, 90% of chances I won't watch any of these 3 seasons.
Flag
OMG!!! it's awesome ^^
Flag
Awesome news, but lets be honest it was always going to happen! It is one of the best comedy currently running on tv and the ratings proof it.
What I don't understand about people is if you don't like a show i wont complain on a message board of that show and whine like a baby. Jeez if you don't like it you can p**s off and watch something else. I can't stand new comedies like Dads, The millers, and all that other none sense shows but I don't go on their board to moan about how bad the show is (In my own opinion). Anyway rant over and it's good news for fans of the show Yay lol
Flag
To be honest, I think the ratings are part of the problem. When this was a relatively niche show, it was far more inventive and didn't fall back on retreads of stuff we've seen umpteen times before. As it's got bigger, it's dumped most of the nerdy science stuff that made it so original and has gone more mainstream and got a lot less funny as a result.
Flag
I do agree mate but sometimes when TV shows air quite long on air they have to adapt to what majority of the audience want otherwise they only air for a few years and have to be cancelled. I still think its still quite funny and most people that still watch tend to think so too, otherwise it would have dropped considerably instead of increasing constantly.
Flag
good for them...but hope they return to form again... not necessarily with character development but with the comedy element in the episodes... this season has been mediocre in that department!!!
hope the quality doesn't keep going south.
Flag
Correct me if I am wrong here but the only show on TV (whether scripted or unscripted, Drama or comedy) to beat the Big Bang Theory in the A18-49 demo is The Walking Dead, right? so this renewal should not come at a surprise at all especially considering how other comedies are performing both on CBS and elsewhere.
Flag
Friends, Frasier & 2 1/2 Men. Can't believe I knew that.
Flag
Friends, Frasier, Two&half men
Flag
Congratz!

The show is my favorite in the genre - and also one of my all time favorites of all genres.

I will be glad to tune in for 3 more years!!
Flag
I just recently tried to watch an episode of BBT to see what all the fuss was about. It was the worst waste of a half an hour I have ever experienced. I did not laugh even once at the pathetic attempts at humor. Gone are the days of truly humorous comedies and we are left with repetitive jokes and insipid characters. I'm sure my views on this show are not shared by many, but there is no way in the world I would rush home just to make sure I'd watch it.
Flag
That whole season is a waste. Watch season 1, 2, 3 and you'll see how this TV show used to be a must see
Flag
You watched the wrong episode. Watch from the beginning!
Flag
It's kind of hilarious how people are questioning CBS' decision here. Nobody is taking into account the massive amount of money the show earns both CBS and Warner Bros. on a weekly basis; nobody is taking into account that the show has actually IMPROVED in the ratings in recent years, even though it's already in its seventh season; and nobody is taking into account that the show leads pretty much every comedy demo on TV right now, so locking it up for three more years and displaying confidence in the show (which is a rarity in today's TV industry) will only help improve those numbers. I wouldn't even be surprised to see another three season renewal in 2017 - the ratings are just that good, and the money being brought in is incredible. Even if the ratings fall, they'd still dwarf practically every other comedy on TV. Good move, CBS!
Flag
thank you! this whole thing is not "me liking" "you disliking" in the individual sense, but is about the fact that a lot and increasing number of people are liking it, after 7 goddamn years.. people may or may not appreciate this fact but they should at least show some respect to that: this is one solid show.. and I am glad that CBS turned up to be the first in line to show that respect..
Flag
awesome news and i can only think of friends... maybe ER
Flag
ER wasn't a comedy.
Flag
i realized it was just about comedies a bit too late, sorry
Flag
I'm not surprised it was renewed but I am surprised it was already renewed for the next 3 years.
Flag
Two and a half men is one that I know that
Flag
Friends, Fraisier, and Everybody Loves Raymond?
Flag
Everybody Loves Raymond did not reach 10th, just 8 seasons
Flag
Flag
It's depressing when such a stupid show can reach ten seasons.
Flag
You must think of 2 1/2 Men.
Flag
you must be 50+ . go see a doctor for some antidepressents
Flag
What does age have to do with anything? Are you saying young people (presumably yourself based on your comment) like stupid shows? On the other hand, based on the success of garbage like Brooklyn Nine-Nine it's probably true.
Flag
Age has a lot to do with Big Bang theory as they make fun of science , to laugh at that you must have atleast school level knowledge of modern science . most older ppl ( who doesnt have a career in science ) fail to understand this kind of fun coz when they were in school science was totally different in schools, also young ppl who dont like science fail to enjoy this show and consider it garbage.

never seen brooklyn 9-9 , i dont normally watch comedies , coz most of them fail to make me laugh, but The big Bang theory is an exception , it makes me laugh every time .
Flag
The series pretends to be about science, but is just a stupid show with cardboard characters who each only possess one characteristic.

Not surprising coming from Chuck Lorre though..
Flag
If i ask my Dad to watch Big bang Theory he wont understand a thing and will call it garbage. So Yes Age has everything to do with shows like this.
Flag
TBBT is my favouritest comedy, period, but its been hit and miss since season 5. That said, when they have a break and I watch other comedies, coming back to a new TBBT I always find myself laughing more than anything else. It could be that my expectations are lowered now, but this show is easily worth 3 more seasons, damn it
Flag
Extremely impressive...

Wish it was just 'one season' renewals though, think three seaons will make the already slow character development even slower.
Flag
Best comedy on CBS
Flag
Three more seasons??? I can barely make through this current one, so bad it is. Well. Good for the fans, they must be pretty stoked.
Flag
It makes perfect logic. The show is at its peak now, with incredible ratings.

If it will start to go downhill, it will be relatively slowly (and it starts from a high point!), I would rule out a complete meltdown, so I really think CBS played it safe for three years.
Flag
I am one of those that feels very happy about this and CBS just won my heart with such a bold move.. I still like the show quite much and love the way characters are developing, maybe a little too slowly for relatively normal characters like Leonard and Penny, yet quite significantly for Sheldon and Amy.. now, I just hope they would invest a little more on Raj, Stuart, Howard and Bernadette..
Flag
How is renewing this huge hit a BOLD move? They would likely have to pay more and more if they did the renewals year over year. So if anything this was the safest way to go about it.
Flag
in a world of even one year renewals are rare and sometimes pretty good rated shows die just by comparison, renewing a show that has been going on for 7 years already, for THREE years, is a bold move in every TV universe.. cancelling a show and replacing with a new, ergo cheaper show would always be an alternative in case TBBT sinks -and sure, it may-, plus considering the raise in the actors salary, this surely is an expensive investment..
Flag
Fox renewed Glee (not in the same leagueas TBBT but still large) for 2 years and are regretting it painfully half way through the first year
Flag
2 1/2 men
That is all I can think off
Flag
Yeah except that none of the Big Bang Cast are insane so they have an edge that show did not.
Flag
Nice for these actors and their piggybanks.

The show does have its hilareous moments, and Sheldon remains a dcik.
Flag
Can't argue with ratings, the show has never been for me, but good for the fans...I guess.
Flag
Brilliant news, absolutely love it!
Flag
350k/episode is already a ridiculous amount of cash. At 22 episodes per year, for 10 years... that's 77 million dollars.

350k for 2 weeks of work. That's roughly what I make in 15-20 years...

Yeah, no insane jealousy here...
Flag
Friends and Frasier (miss those shows so much!) and 2and a half men , which I used to like around season 5 but now... meh.

I'm ok with TBBT. I have always watched it, and I still find it funny, so I can't find a reason why it shouldn't keep going.
Flag
Yay, I'm so happy~ This show has been growing on me, as of late.
Flag
Friends and Frasier hit 10 yrs in 2004. Scrubs? They were single camera though. How I Met Your Mother... is 9 seasons. Ah well, that's the best I got without google.
My undying devotion will remain for TBBT Seasons 1-4, but like Scrubs before it, it will only continue to deteriorate, to something just meh, to finally something STAAAAHHHP.
Flag
You're confusing live-action with single-camera. Live action means not animated (Family Guy, King of the Hill and South Park would be on the list otherwise). Also, even though I didn't watch it, I believe Scrubs only made it to 9 seasons.
Flag
they should give them #10SeasonsandaMovie
Flag
I really like this show, but this is a very questionable decision. The show has wobbled badly this season. It is back on track at the moment. But really another 66-69 episodes?! I am guessing global franchising must be going really well. I know tBBT is a massive hit in south America. It's all about the $$$$ etc...
Flag
well the show has done pretty impressive this season, looking at the numbers above?
Flag
Oh! And it has done really well here in the UK.
Flag
God the show has become so awful. It's also so ridiculously bad at portraying science and nerdism. Howard is pretty much the only one who's still funny and Sheldons so called friends are all total dicks to him.
Flag
Then why the hell are you here? Go comment on shows you like, if there are any that is.
Flag
Why the hell are YOU here? If you only want to see positive comments, don't go to a site about TV shows. Find a site for TBBT worship, where negative comments are deleted by moderators, and the people who post them are banned for life.
Flag
Because I read headlines...
Flag
wait so you think sheldon is the victim ?

have actualy watched this current season if anything it's mostly been sheldon this sheldon that and he is the one being a dick to everyone, and no one says more than a few words about it before caving in and giving up.
Flag
You obviously don't get that Sheldon while brilliant, doesn't get social cues like everyone else. He lives in a world where he is dictated to act one way and has no idea why. The sole fact that Sheldon has had moments this season where he gave leonard scincere advise or showed Amy he cares are huge leaps for someone with Sheldon's personality.
Flag
I'm always wondering the will-they-or-won't-they for diagnosing him with Asperger syndrome. But I guess the show loses some of the humor when making fun of someone if they aknowledge they are dealing with a mental impairment. I mean 95% of the jokes are because of the groups poor or non-conforming social behaivior. The other 5% is Penny's drinking and how lousy the guys are in bed.
Flag
oh he does get it more than people think, he chooses to ignore or use it against people, the diner table he wins, the rental dvd he wins, he even mocked amy on the train for wanting more from the relationship which he then mocks.
Flag
Jaysus, I'm not sure this is a good thing, it's really lost it's way recently.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members