A The Big Bang Theory Community
Monday 8:00 PM on CBS (Returning September 19, 2016)

Wait a second, weren't the nominations for the 2014 Critics' Choice Awards released yesterday? No, that was the TCA Awards nominations, big difference (or so we're told). Today it's the Broadcast Television Journalists Association saying its piece via the relatively new Critics' Choice Awards, which are now in their fourth year. The ceremony will be broadcast live (tape-delayed on the West Coast) on Thursday, June 19 at 8pm on The CW. 

And just like the TCA Awards, the Critics' Choice Awards offer a bit of a reprieve from the same old names we always hear at the Emmys. Case in point: Trophy Wife's Albert Tsai (who played Bert on the recently canceled ABC sitcom) was nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the Critics' Choice Awards, whereas the Emmys are more likely to mistake him for a pint-sized valet and send him to pick up the cast of Modern Family

That being said, super ratings megahit The Big Bang Theory still led all shows with five nominations, tying it with The Good Wife, Masters of SexHBO's made-for-TV-movie The Normal Heart, and FX's Fargo, in a rather surprising but totally well-deserved debut that benefits from a spot in the increasingly competitive miniseries category. Orange Is the New BlackThe AmericansBreaking Bad, and Sherlock: His Last Vow followed, with four nominations each.

Another well-deserved surprise: The appearance of Comedy Central's Broad City, which earned a nod in the Best Comedy category and is represented by Ilana Glazer in the Best Comedy Actress category. Other notables: Sarah Baker for her recent guest stint on Louie; a posthumous nomination for Christopher Evan Welch for his brilliant portrayal of eccentric billionaire Peter Gregory on Silicon Valley (Welch was unable to finish filming the series because of complications from lung cancer; he passed away in December); Emmy Rossum finally getting some respect for Shameless; transgender actress Laverne Cox for Orange Is the New Black; Walton Goggins for both Justified (Best Supporting Actor) and Sons of Anarchy (Best Guest Performer); TV.com favorite Tatiana Maslany for a possible repeat in the Best Actress in a Drama category for Orphan Black; and Alison Tolman for her perfect performance in Fargo (alongside Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman, who are competing against one another in the Best Actor in a Miniseries category). And not one nomination for Modern Family. All in all, a pretty good lot. Nice choosing, critics!

Here's the full list of nominations:

BEST COMEDY SERIES

The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Broad City (Comedy Central)

Louie (FX)

Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)

Silicon Valley (HBO)

Veep (HBO)

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

Louis CK, Louie (FX)

Chris Messina, The Mindy Project (FOX)

Thomas Middleditch, Silicon Valley (HBO)

Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Adam Scott, Parks and Recreation (NBC)

Robin Williams, The Crazy Ones (CBS)

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

Ilana Glazer, Broad City (Comedy Central)

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (HBO)

Wendi McLendon-Covey, The Goldbergs (ABC)

Amy Schumer, Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)

Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation (NBC)

Emmy Rossum, Shameless (Showtime)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

Andre Braugher, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX)

Keith David, Enlisted (FOX)

Tony Hale, Veep (HBO)

Albert Tsai, Trophy Wife (ABC)

Christopher Evan Welch, Silicon Valley (HBO)

Jeremy Allen White, Shameless (Showtime)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Laverne Cox, Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)

Kaley Cuoco, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Allison Janney, Mom (CBS)

Kate Mulgrew, Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)

Merritt Wever, Nurse Jackie (Showtime)

BEST GUEST PERFORMER IN A COMEDY SERIES

Uzo Aduba, Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)

Sarah Baker, Louie (FX)

James Earl Jones, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Mimi Kennedy, Mom (CBS)

Andrew Rannells, Girls (HBO)

Lauren Weedman, Looking (HBO)

BEST DRAMA SERIES

The Americans (FX)

Breaking Bad (AMC)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

The Good Wife (CBS)

Masters of Sex (Showtime)

True Detective (HBO)

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad (AMC)

Hugh Dancy, Hannibal (NBC)

Freddie Highmore, Bates Motel (A&E)

Matthew McConaughey, True Detective (HBO)

Matthew Rhys, The Americans (FX)

Michael Sheen, Masters of Sex (Showtime)

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Lizzy Caplan, Masters of Sex (Showtime)

Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel (A&E)

Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife (CBS)

Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black (BBC America)

Keri Russell, The Americans (FX)

Robin Wright, House of Cards (Netflix)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

Josh Charles, The Good Wife (CBS)

Walton Goggins, Justified (FX)

Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad (AMC)

Peter Sarsgaard, The Killing (AMC)

Jon Voight, Ray Donovan (Showtime)

Jeffrey Wright, Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Christine Baranski, The Good Wife (CBS)

Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad (AMC)

Annet Mahendru, The Americans (FX)

Melissa McBride, The Walking Dead (AMC)

Maggie Siff, Sons of Anarchy (FX)

Bellamy Young, Scandal (ABC)

BEST GUEST PERFORMER IN A DRAMA SERIES

Beau Bridges, Masters of Sex (Showtime)

Walton Goggins, Sons of Anarchy (FX)

Allison Janney, Masters of Sex (Showtime)

Joe Morton, Scandal (ABC)

Carrie Preston, The Good Wife (CBS)

Diana Rigg, Game of Thrones (HBO)

BEST MOVIE

An Adventure in Space and Time (BBC America)

Burton and Taylor (BBC America)

Killing Kennedy (National Geographic Channel)

The Normal Heart (HBO)

Sherlock: His Last Vow (PBS)

The Trip to Bountiful (Lifetime)

BEST MINI-SERIES

American Horror Story: Coven (FX)

Bonnie & Clyde (A&E/History/Lifetime)

Dancing on the Edge (Starz)

Fargo (FX)

The Hollow Crown (PBS)

Luther (BBC America)

BEST ACTOR IN A MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES

David Bradley, An Adventure in Space and Time (BBC America)

Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock: His Last Vow (PBS)

Chiwetel Ejiofor, Dancing on the Edge (Starz)

Martin Freeman, Fargo (FX)

Mark Ruffalo, The Normal Heart (HBO)

Billy Bob Thornton, Fargo (FX)

BEST ACTRESS IN A MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES

Helena Bonham Carter, Burton and Taylor (BBC America)

Minnie Driver, Return to Zero (Lifetime)

Whoopi Goldberg, A Day Late and a Dollar Short (Lifetime)

Holliday Grainger, Bonnie & Clyde (A&E/History/Lifetime)

Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Coven (FX)

Cicely Tyson, The Trip to Bountiful (Lifetime)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES

Matt Bomer, The Normal Heart (HBO)

Warren Brown, Luther (BBC America)

Martin Freeman, Sherlock: His Last Vow (PBS)

Colin Hanks, Fargo (FX)

Joe Mantello, The Normal Heart (HBO)

Blair Underwood, The Trip to Bountiful (Lifetime)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES

Amanda Abbington, Sherlock: His Last Vow (PBS)

Kathy Bates, American Horror Story: Coven (FX)

Ellen Burstyn, Flowers in the Attic (Lifetime)

Jessica Raine, An Adventure in Space and Time (BBC America)

Julia Roberts, The Normal Heart (HBO)

Allison Tolman, Fargo (FX)

BEST REALITY SERIES

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (FOX/National Geographic Channel)

Deadliest Catch (Discovery)

Duck Dynasty (A&E)

Mythbusters (Discovery)

Top Gear (BBC America)

Undercover Boss (CBS)

BEST REALITY SERIES – COMPETITION

The Amazing Race (CBS)

Project Runway (Lifetime)

Shark Tank (ABC)

Survivor (CBS)

Top Chef (Bravo)

The Voice (NBC)

BEST REALITY HOST

Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars (ABC)

Carson Daly, The Voice (NBC)

Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance (FOX)

Gordon Ramsay, MasterChef (FOX)

RuPaul, RuPaul’s Drag Race (Logo)

Neil deGrasse Tyson, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (FOX/National Geographic Channel)

BEST TALK SHOW

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (NBC)

The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Time Telepictures)

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)

The Colbert Report (Comedy Central)

Conan (TBS)

BEST ANIMATED SERIES

Archer (FX)

Bob’s Burgers (FOX)

The Simpsons (FOX)

Family Guy (FOX)

Phineas and Ferb (Disney XD)

Adventure Time (Cartoon Network)

Who do you think should win at this year's Critics' Choice awards?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/12/2016

Season 9 : Episode 24

58 Comments
Comments (58)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
How can they tell who is a guest actor on Game of Thrones, seems they are all guest actors...some just stay a bit longer. I had forgotten about Walton Goggins guest stint on Sons of Anarchy, so funny! I do hope he wins. Unfortunately I don't know most of the shows, I guess it is time to start checking out some new stuff! I only knew Goggins was on there because i like him on Justified, so I checked out what else he has done.
Flag
I have friends who love The Big Bang but I find the led character creepy rather than funny. Kinda like I never liked Two and a Half Men which also was super popular.
Flag
BBT is on par with Two and a Half Men for comedy. Which is to say, it's terrible. I don't think I've so much as cracked a smile once while watching it. It's a show about what Baby Boomers imagine young geeky guys to be like instead of what young geeky guys are actually like. There's the whole "Hey we're really laughing WITH you guys!" sort of vibe to it, but it still manages to perpetuate every stupid, tired stereotype there is about women and people with nerdy interests.
Flag
Why isn't there any nomination for Jeremy Davies? I think he deserves a nomination as Guest ActorActor in Drama series (just for his role in Hannibal and that scene with a horse, or his guest starring in FX Justified, dialogue with Raylan Givens while in jail...) Omg whyy there isn't any!!!
Flag
No Woody Harrelson? (Too lazy to look up the spelling.)
Flag
no orphan black, peter dinklage, sarah paulson or mads mikkelsen hmmmm not so impressed with critics choices? I demand an award by combat!
Flag
Tatiana Maslany
Flag

Tatiana Maslany for Best Actress in a Drama. She almost single-handedly carries an entire show with her incredible portrayal of 5 truly believable and very different characters .

I'm having a hard time choosing between The Normal Heart and An Adventure in Space and Time . Both are awesome, and both deserve some serious kudos.

Flag
I can't believe Peter Dinklage is not nominated ! Hope Jessica Lange can finaly recieve an award !
Flag
Emmy Rossum finally getting some respect for Shameless!! Finally she is amazing!
Flag
Yay! Melisa McBride!!!

Carol owned this season of The Walking Dead (Damn you Grimes! for old times sake)
Flag
James Spader should have been nominated as best drama actor. And Blacklist should have been nominated as best drama series. A couple that were nominated I have never even heard about. Blacklist is one of the two best shows on tv. No excuse for it not to be awarded.
Flag
Totally agree that Blacklist and Spader should be recognized. But they trot out the same old shows season after season.
BTW I do not agree with those who trash the supporting cast. To each their own but there are plenty of other actors who deserve more criticism.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Unbelievable that The Blacklist didn't get nominated! The best drama that keeps you on the edge of your seat, the best actors on television, and the best writing of all of them. Shame, shame on you!
Flag
What a shame The Blacklist isn't nominated. And a bloody shame they didn't nominate James Spader as best actor in a drama series!!! Better luck next year. Hope the Emmy judges will do better. Grtz from #teamred
Flag
Damn. Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy is filled with great actors.

Flag
Very shocked that the BLACKLIST was not picked...best tv show ever...
Flag
Definitely Benedict, i mean did you SEE his performance in HLV? it was OUTSTANDING
Flag
That "Reality" category is just plain broken. I could very loosely group the other shows as "containing unscripted dialog", but Cosmos?!? Apparently the category has been opened to educational and documentary programming. NOVA will be pleased.

"Animation" is odd, too. Can anyone honestly compare Phineas and Ferb to Archer? Their target audiences are a generation apart. Should other categories include pre-teen series and their actors?
Flag
Modern Family and The Middle are way too popular to enter the nominations in this event this year!
Flag
No Hannibal, no credibility. Next!
Flag
It keeps on baffling me that Person of Interest doesn't have more mainstream buzz. In terms of the subjects it tackles it is by far the most "important" drama series around, and the plotlines are without a doubt some of the best crafted on TV.

I guess the problem of the series may be that it lightens the mood quite often with highly self-aware jokes. The "correct" way to insert comedy into your drama seems to be through events that just occur, whereas the characters of PoI are perhaps a bit too self-aware.

Eh, whatever, True Detective is bound to win best Drama anyway.
Flag
I agree, POI never seems to get any attention.
Flag
I think Mads Mikkelsen should join Hugh Dancy in the "Best Actor in a Drama Series" category for Hannibal.
Flag
The Middle gets nothing! That's super upsetting, but at least Trophy Wife got a little love and that goes double for Enlisted. Neither show deserved to be cancelled.
Flag
I still don't understand why Shameless is categorized as a comedy. Its not funny at all.
Flag
I'm chuffed by the recognition for The Americans, but where's the nomination for Noah Emmerich for Best Supporting Actor? And Margo Martindale for Best Guest Performer?

But all in all, I agree - fantastic nominations across the various categories. Would the Emmy's be able to come up with something like this?
Flag
Modern Family didn't get any noms but TBBT did and that's still a problem.

I think I'm most surprised that Melissa McBride is nominated. She deserves it but I didn't expect one.
Flag
Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) anything else would be a travesty and I mean no disrespect to the other nominees and I am even sure they would agree with me. She plays the lead and at least 4 supporting roles in such a convincing way with so much passion and convition she is simply the best TV Actress at the moment and she will be huge in a few years. Orphan Blak is by far the best show people have never heard of.
Flag
some of the episodes person of interest was great, and far better than the famous and critically acclaimed and nominated series here that are only there because of the name and not really good season
Flag
Best Drama is basically imposssible to decide. They're all fantastic in their own right and deserve to win.
Flag
Shameless finally getting some love. Hope this creates some traction for Emmy Rossum in the Emmys later this year. Some other great surprises too, like Annet Mahendru for best Supporting Actress and Freddie Highmore for best Actor.
Flag
"Cosmos" better win for best reality show because it's one of the very few shows that is SMART instead of appealing to the lowest common denominator. (Though I'm betting a win for the show will result in a big backlash by the super conservative Bible thumpers who think the planet is 6,000 years old.)
Flag
Best drama: I sincerely hope The Good Wife will win. I know it won't, because it's in the running against True Detective and Game of Thrones, but the show deserves to win. Never in my life have I seen a show reach such amazing new heights in a fifth season! That, in and of itself, is a stellar accomplishment and I could not have been more happier!
Flag
Shameless shouldn't be in the comedy section. It has had some of the most dramatic scenes I've seen all year. It's a bit of a travesty to see it competing with comedies when you've seen how brutal and raw some of the acting is on that show.
Flag
Staff
This is the first year Shameless has competed as a comedy (which doesn't make sense to me personally given how dramatic this past season was) but since the show has often injected humor into the Gallaghers' lives, and has always been billed as a "dark comedy," they figured it would have a better chance of getting recognized in the comedy field rather than the jam-packed drama field. We'll see how it plays out for the Emmys, but it appears to have worked here.
Flag
I agree, those actors are some of the best in TV in my opinion but I am just thrilled that Shameless is getting some nominations.
Flag
Best drama:
Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and True Detective are all such great great series, it's impossible to choose between them based on quality it's just a matter of personal taste then.
Flag
MLP:FiM was passed over yet again!!!
Flag
Best Drama.
That is a very tough category. Breaking Bad, Masters of Sex, and True Detective, would be my choices. But there is no way I could pick just one of them.

Best Guest Performer in a comedy, on the other hand.
I would give it to James Earl Jones, no question. He was fantastic, spoofing himself.

Why is True Detective a Drama, while American Horror Story is a mini-series?

Most of the categories have really tough competition. I'm glad I don't have to make those choices.

Looking over these nominees reminds me just what an outstanding season of TV drama we've just been through.
Next season can hardly help but disappoint.
Flag
Staff
True Detective is listed as a full drama because that's how HBO wanted to submit it for awards. AHS has always been considered a mini-series because FX knows it has a better shot at winning in that field.
Flag
Good luck who ever has to choose Best Actor - Drama and Best Actress - Drama. Those are two very tough groups. Excellent choices all round really.
I really hope An Adventure in Space and Time wins, it was superb.
Flag
Benedict Cumberbatch in a mini serie
Flag
Yaaaaaaaaaay alot of people finally got some love.
Emmy Rossum, Shameless.
Hugh Dancy, Hannibal.
Melissa McBride,
The Walking Dead.

Those three really deserve it.
Flag
Darn... too many choices to cheer in the animated section

Archer, Bob's Burgers, AND Adventure Time.

Out of those 3, I have to pick Archer. Always Archer.
Flag
I wish I could give you more then one thumbs up
Flag
Finally some love for Emmy and Shameless!!
Flag
And Jeremy Allen White. IMO he was the lead this season.
Flag
"David Bradley, An Adventure in Space and Time (BBC America)"

He won't win, but damn, he deserves it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
absolutely, there can be no other outcome
Flag
I still don't grasp putting Kaley in the supporting actress group but to each their own I suppose. Otherwise, I'm again not pissed at the critics. They definitely have a much better grasp on things.

And Albert Tasi!!!!! That one put a smile on my face. Somebody cast him on something now please.
Flag
Staff
It's really all about where the actors and actresses submit themselves (at least that's how it works with the Emmys). I don't get Kaley submitting as a supporting actress, either. But this quote from THR's recent West Wing interview explains a lot of how actors and actresses submit themselves:

SORKIN: Martin had to be convinced to submit himself in the best leading actor category instead of supporting actor. He felt it was an ensemble and that there was no lead on the show and that to submit himself for leading actor would be an insult to rest of the cast and particularly John Spencer. It was only after telling Martin that he might be taking a supporting actor nomination away from John, Richard, Brad or Dule that he agreed. It was for the same reason that Allison did the opposite. After winning best supporting actress two years in a row she wanted Janel or Stockard to be recognized, so she submitted herself for best leading actress and then won that too.

So I really don't get why Kaley would submit as a supporting actress, since it takes away space for the other two actresses on the show. But I get why, in response to the post below this, Martin Freeman might submit himself as a supporting actor rather than a lead, that way both he and Benedict have a good chance at being nominated and both winning. During Breaking Bad's fourth season, I really wanted Aaron Paul to submit himself as a lead, but knew that he wouldn't as to not take Bryan Cranston's chances at winning (plus, when they both win, we all win.)
More +
Flag
I guess I was under the impression that the shows/actors don't submit themselves for these awards. I haven't been able to tell one way or the other. They only mention submissions for "Most Exciting New Show" which makes sense.

There have been a lot of cases where I think the split between lead and supporting makes sense. There's just always those few that I cannot wrap my head around.
Flag
Or Martin Freeman as a supporting actor in Sherlock. He's right up there in the show star credits with Benedict...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members