A The Big Bang Theory Community
Monday 8:00 PM on CBS (Returning September 19, 2016)

Phew! TV's biggest comedy will bang on. Warner Bros. TV has finalized deals with the two remaining cast members of The Big Bang Theory, and production on the sitcom's eighth season will proceed Wednesday, August 6.

Yes, that means the ink is finally dry on the contracts of Kunal Nayyar and Simon Helberg, who play Raj and Howard, respectively. Details on the actors' new terms weren't made available, but Variety says the pair, who support main stars Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, and Kaley Cuoco, will earn something in the range of $500,000 per episode. 

That's up from the $100,000 they reportedly earned before; however, it's still a lot less than the $1 million per episode that Parsons, Galecki, and Cuoco will earn. The three stars' lengthy contract holdouts ended Monday. 

Nayyar and Helberg apparently requested deals similar to those of their co-stars, but the studio refused to cave and allegedly threatened to write both Raj and Howard out of the show if the actors did not accept the terms they were offered on Tuesday. Nayyar and Helberg's fellow supporting cast members Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik renegotiated their contracts last fall, leaving them as the only two actors without new agreements in place. 

Season 8 was initially supposed to begin production on July 30. However, the lost time will not affect the show's 24-episode order for Season 8, which is still set to premiere on Monday, September 22 at 8pm on CBS.

Do you think Nayyar and Helberg deserve to earn as much as their co-stars? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/12/2016

Season 9 : Episode 24

81 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Whoever thinks that the other two actors could be written out is an idiot. I have just as much laughs with Raj and Howard as I do with the other three. Write them off, you will kill the show. It's the ones who are reframing to pay them the money that should be replaced.
Flag
Think they play off each other each a part of the whole. Each of the characters is important. The show would not be the same without Howard or Raj. They should be paid the same. I love the chemistry they all have...that is why it is so successful. .they all bring something to the table. Dont agree with some of the comments Helberg is a very good comedic actor
Flag
Cuoco isn't easily replaced, you can't just replace chemistry. Howard and Raj could be written out, you can't write out the main 3, it would cease being what it is. Regardless, Howard and Raj are worth more than half. The Friends cast were getting a million bucks a piece more than a decade ago, so why shouldn't the the top sitcom of today attract similar paydays.
Acting in front of an audience for 20+ episodes a year must be a lot harder than just in front of studio crew, so if any actors do deserve the money, it's studio audience sitcom actors. Sports stars who play games all year make more than this.
Flag
they need to write cuoco off, her character is generic, annoying, and easily replaced. Bring new life to the show with a replacement to her tired face.

helberg is way more valuable and entertaining than she is by a long shot.
Flag
Do I think that Nayyar and Helberg should earn as much as their co-stars: yes. Do I think they should earn $1,000,000 per episode that isn't even 20 minutes long for the most part? No, it's decadent. How do these people think they diserve this.
Flag
Obscene amount of money. Especially for actors on a show that is long, long past its use by date. But I guess it's easier to keep pouring money into a safe but declining show than take a chance on something new.
Flag
Hardly. I hope it continues for another 8 seasons.
Flag
So what did you think of the season 9 premier? Did it make you think, 'gosh, these guys are worth every penny ?' (pun not intended but I left it there anyway)

Flag
Helberg has absolutely no talent. His mommy and daddy got him the job (casting director/actor etc). The scene tonight proves it (reacting to his mother's death). He laughs when he should show sadness. He always does that knee jerk privileged smile when he makes jokes. He's just a no-talent @ss clown. Wish I had parents that placed me in a #1 comedy show. Must be nice.
Flag
Also He is clearly a very skilled mimic, and comedic actor :3
Flag
Well hew was shocked and seriously i cried in that episode , it was pretty awesome how they managed to pass emotions through a sitcom , i mean he just didn't want to admit that she was gone , i think he is a good actor not as as the other main's but good neverless ;3
Flag
While, I think the original 5 should have stuck together ( ie Friends ) for the same package. Make no mistake the show is very similar in the fact that the base of the show is how will Leonard and Penny end up; (Ross and Rachel). The show is about their relationship, it always has been.
Flag
I couldn't agree more. Simon Helberg, is not, in my view, a 'support' for the rest of the cast. He is clearly a very skilled mimic, and comedic actor. His entertainment value far exceeds some other members of the show. Recall the episode when he took on the role of 'Dungeon Master' - he had everyone in stitches with his brilliant mimicry of various public personalities - including the cast! For me, he's on a par with Jim Parsons - whose skill relies on line delivery.
Flag
I think Simon deserves as much a pay as Jim Parsons. He might technically be just a "supporting actor", however, his amazing acting talent and creativity cannot be overscored. Personally, i feel he deserves a 1 mln per episode pay as well.
Flag
Simon helberg is most talented of them all. What perfect timing. perfect punchlines. Now and then he steals the moment. He deserve more than Kaley and Galecki.
Flag
If Kaley Cuoco can get a million dollars per episode, everyone should get a million per episode. She's the least interesting character.
Flag
Well, I don't consider myself a fan and I think they deserve as much,

The show could go on for 10 years, the actors may never be seen as anything other than their TBBT characters for the rest of their lives and the salaries should reflect the cost that represents in their careers.
Flag
Oddly, they would have all more or less deserved it for the first 5 seasons, but it has gone seriously downhill the last 2 to the point that it has become second-rate, IMO. Their salaries should go down, as well as the price of ads. And I`ve been a HUGE fan from start.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Preach.
Flag
Huh?
Flag
Old expression. Just meant that I agree with you.
Flag
It's kinda unfair... there's no doubt about Jim's Sheldon beeing the number 1.. but I dislike Leonard.. and Penny is just the hot girl on the show. For me Sheldon, Howard and Raj are the big 3, the most interesting characters... I think as well that Howard and Bernadette are the strong couple of the show.. but whateverrr.. that's subjective.. and the money comes from the image, from the marketing.

I really hope that they don't focus again another season just on sheldon madness and Penny-Leonard relationship.. 'cause we already have enought and at this point it's boring and repetitive.
Flag
Their dynamic is not a proven product: you can't buy chemistry, which Howard and Rajesh have in spades; you can't buy comedic timing, which Howard & Rajesh also have in spades; you can't buy a genuine connection, which Howard & Raj also have in spades.

This isn't a standard "will they/won't they" scenario, it's not HoYay, nor the wing man/best budy scenario: you can't re-create neither the tenderness nor the ambiguity between these two characters: there's nothing like Howard & Raj on TV.
Flag
Oh.. and by the way.. i think Nayyar and Helberg give up too early/easy with the negotiations. There is no way in which they can cut them off without a fan rampage and major damage/losses for the upcoming seasons.
Flag
I bet most networks would only wish that would be the case.

There's no way to re-create The Big Bang Theory, no one can come up with something like it.
Flag
I refuse to feel sorry for anybody that earns the amounts mentioned, and 12 million dollars a season is still silly a huge salary for the majority of people.
Flag
Me too. Makes me look at them differently. Like bunch of spoiled brats. I want my way or I'm not going to do it. lol
Flag
Because they fought for the salaries they thought they deserved on the most popular show on tv? Why would you not fight to get the best salary possible no matter what your job.

This is a clear example of what Sheryl Sanberg talks about in her book. A lot of women (not all) simply don't fight for their wages in the same way that men do, and when they do they come across as bitchy , or as you put it like spoiled brats (which they shouldn't and its a clear example of gender discrimination in the work place). You should always fight to get the best wage you possibly can, and if you and other women thought more like that it would go a long way towards wage equality.

This probably sounds odd coming from a man, but i see time and time again, and not just from women but men too comments alluding to the fact that their is something wrong with fighting for the best possible salary you can get.
Flag
And they were always going to do it, what else did they have planned.

On the other hand the amount they got paid showed that somebody makes a shedload of money.
Flag
Although this is stupid money, their pay is based on something called TVQ. It means television quotient. They get paid based on how recognizable they are to the general public.

With that being the case, Kaley should probably be the highest paid because of her commercial success with Priceline.

Since Mayim and Melissa were later to arrive, seniority also comes into play. Nayyar does some other stuff, most guest shots, but Simon stays sort of under the proverbial TV radar, so that all impacts what they get paid.

What wasn't mentioned here is that all of the cast have negotiated multi-million dollar contracts for the syndication of the show. The original 5 will make hundreds of millions of dollars for the rest of their lives based on viewers, worldwide being able to watch TBBT multiple times every day.

I'm sure the deals for Mayim and Melissa will be sizable as well.

So, should anyone be disappointed with their income, not likely. The big question for all of them should really be, whether or not they will ever be able to ditch their TBBT characters and be respected as actors in new roles.

It's already apparent if you have seen any previews of Jim Parsons playing the Jimmy Stewart character in "Harvey" on Broadway. Everything he does is reminiscent of Sheldon and when he isn't showing that side, it's tough to recognize if he is good or not because we are seeing him try to create a new character.

So for all of us TV videophiles, who loves shows because of the characters and the writing, just think of the actors who portrayed some of the funniest TV characters and where their careers have gone since those long running shows ended. Comedy's are most impacted because most of us don't find everyday people that funny, hence the Cramers, Fonzies, Joeys, etc., of the TV world.

That's why the actors who are generally "funny", but haven't been asked to create on unusual "character", live on and have successful careers, post their long running and very successful TV shows. Think, Julia Dreyfus, Jennifer Aniston (sort of), Alan Alda, Ernest Borgnine, Jackie Gleason, et al.

It's totally different with Dramatic actors. They can play a character on a long running drama and have it end and immediately start anew. In most cases, on TV, it's because they are just playing an extension of themselves, speaking lines someone else has written for them.

Movies are entirely different and not for this article.

Just my thoughts!

More+
Flag
Yea I know that just as a general rule of thumb SAG pays 100% of what you made on an episode for the first rerun and then it goes down from there. Thats assuming they just get industry standard then really all the actors are getting double per episode if you include the first rerun of every episode, and probably millions upon mililions more for second third fourth fifth reruns etc. and thats just for reruns in the states not to mention all the channels in other countries that will buy syndication rights for the show, but they will pay admittedly less than a nationwide cable channel in the states presumably.
Flag
I think the network leaders (management) and head of the corporation should keep all the profits--BIG BONUSES for the president or CFO/CEO of the network. F*ck the actors!
this is sarcasm if you can't tell;-)
Flag
I think Parsons, Cuoco & Galecki deciding to bargain as a 3 is a slap in the face to Nayyar & Helberg. They all started the show at the same time & it's the interaction between these principal cast members that made the show as popular as it is today.

It says a lot about the personal character (Greed) of THE BIG 3 that they decided to bargain as a 3 instead of the ORIGINAL 5 which would have probably netted a more equal spread of 750k each.

If I were Raj & Howard I would harbour some deep seated resentment to those 3.
Flag
Helberg and Nayyar were underpaid from the start. They have never been compensated equal to the others from the very start. I'm not surprised that Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco failed to include them in their negotiations now. Probably felt if they did Helberg and Nayyar would get bigger raises and they wouldn't. As in, only so many ways to divide a pie. The three wanted bigger pieces and didn't care how the remainder of the pie was divided.
Flag
No one on this show deserves those obscene amounts of money per episode. It's not even that funny anymore.
Flag
I don't give a shxxx how much they make, i cannot figure out the difference between those amounts anyways lol
Flag
Leonard & Penny are total snooze! I think they are the ones more dispensable than Howard & Raj.
Flag
i could not agree more. leonard has turned into a whining arse with a permanent scowl on his face. the real comedy in this show is almost exclusively delivered by sheldon, raj and to a slighly lesser extent, howard. in fact as i write this im struggling to remind myself of the last time a "leonard line" last made me laugh. i think if the creators had binned howard and raj then i think the show would have died instantly and none of the so called big 3 would have got their 1m per ep. its plainly more important for galecki to keep his ego in tact than the shows survival, if it was the other way round then they would have backed nayar and helberg getting the same contracts. if anyone deserves to be on less money then im afraid its johnny galecki, all day long.
Flag
yes
Flag
I actually find the characters of Howard and Raj much more entertaining than Leonard and Penny, so overall I think the person that deserves the highest paycheck is me :)
Flag
All this talk about what they should be paid is absurd. They have agents and they have the freedom to walk. If a person doesn't like what they are being paid, go somewhere else. However, when 12 million a year is an insult to you because so and so makes 24 million a year, then you need to go fart in a small room and smell what the real world is like. Take your 12 million (6 million after taxes) and be happy.
Flag
They should be paid based on seniority since at this point it's an ensemble cast. Give Mayim & Melissa 800 or 900 grand and the rest a million. The show has a huge following and will be in syndication long after it ends, so the network and the production company will make a lot of money off it for years to come. No way any of them can be written out of the show without viewers revolting.
Flag
I think they got a fair deal. The show could have gone on without them...writers would have found new characters to replace them.
Flag
Glad to see the gang together again. I love this show!!!
Flag
Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik are only getting 60k.. Considering they are just as big a star on the show as they others at this point, the salary differences between 60k and 500k has got to hurt.
Flag
Difference is, Melissa & Mayim have only been on the show since season four while the others have been there since day one
Flag
Whaaat? Mayim only getting 60k????
Flag
Poor her, only 1.4 mil a season...
Flag
Flag
The news that this show is coming back on the air is the worst thing I've heard in the past month...
Flag
Someone asked before what the writers make ... is it even close to the numbers the actors are getting? I wonder ...
Flag
Obviously not. But then again, their faces are not plastered all over it.

Ratings will likely be more affected by an actor leaving than a writer leaving.

Not saying it's fair... But that's life.
Flag
Ratings might also be affected when the writing goes bad ...
Flag
The friends cast all were paid the same, they all agreed to be paid the same since they were all on the show. Makes sense doesn't it
Flag
Friends also had a sort of union and negotiated all at once.
Flag
Exactly they all made a pact to get the same amount which sounds right ... Even if Ross sucked
Flag
holy crap just the sound of that name, ross, even now makes me wat to tear my eyes out with the nearest fork. the wettest, whiniest, most miserable charachter in the history of TV. from subsequent interviews i saw him in he wasnt doin much acting either. he really is that whiny in real life.
Flag
Surprising to read these comments. He was an established actor before Friends. I thought he did a really good job of making the will-they-won't-they parts of Friends bearable.
Flag
Flag
Agree with if there is one person that should be paid more it's Parsons but other than that the other cast members like Leonard, Penny, Howard and Raj should be paid equally. I think it will be unfair to threaten them to be written off if they won't cave in since this is already an ensemble cast and it will be weird watching without the other.
Flag
Kind of what I was thinking. As far as story lines go, it's Parsons first then Galecki, the rest are equal. For comedy effect, it's Parsons first, then everyone else equally.
Flag
It's kind of hard to differentiate between members of this fine ensemble cast. Losing any one of them would be like losing one of the wheels off your car. They're a team and I would miss any one of them. A lot of atheletes get that much for one game (NFL), which kind of pisses me off because we pay for that directly in ticket prices. But since TV is essentially free, we don't pay the actors. Yeah, Howard and Raj and Bernadette and Amy deserve to be paid as much as anyone on the show. They earn their money.
Flag
"tv is essentially free" lol.oh boy, you need an education.Tv is not free.The shows cost a lot to make which is why seasons are shorter and there's morev commercials than now than the 80s.Netflix isn't free and they raised thier prices.Internet isn't free.AmazonPrime isn't free.Dvdboxsets aren't free.Cables premium channels aren't free.Cable isn't free HuluPlus isn't free..Yes we pay the actors in a roundabout way-CBS will now charge advertisers charge us the consumer more for the goods/products/services.CbS charges cable companies higher retransmission fees-remember last summers CzbS /Time Warner Cable feud?-then the cable compaanies charge it's customers more for cable and boxset prices go up as do Wonder Con,Comic Con ticket prices and merchandise.
Flag
I said essentially--like you're not going to watch TV anyway. What happens with Big Bang internally doesn't really affect us directly like NFL tickes do, and aside from having to actually buy the TV itself, CBS can be had with a simple antenna if you so choose--even HD. And we use the Internet for many other things, TV is just one of them. I'm actually old enough that I've experienced actual free TV, and I'm amazed that people have figured out how to make us pay for TV and water, but they have. So what you're saying here is a big old DUH. My point is still valid.
Flag
But even with antennas tv still isn't free- you have to pay for the antennas, the tv, the electricit y..It may not directly effect us, but it does trickle down and effect us the same way football starts getting paid big salaries effects ticket prices-we pay more for the advertised goods and for cable due to the BBT stars big raises.
Flag
I can live with it.
Flag
FINE?????????????????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, wait, you're serious.
Flag
This is a bit sad. 500k is definitely not a small amount and Nayyar and Helberg cannot complain but the discrepancy is wrong. The only person in this cast who commands a higher paycheck is Parsons. The show is nothing without Sheldon and therefore if he was paid a bit more (not double!!!) then it would be understandable.

I can also see how the producers would want to retain Cuoco for the simple purpose is that she started off as eye-candy but has evolved the most as the show progresses. I think however, that Galecki, Helberg and Nayyar are in the same league and bring exactly the same thing to the show. No reason to have so much discrepancy in their paychecks (even if Galecki is emmy nominated).
Flag
Don't get me wrong, I like the Sheldon character but the actor is not anything special.
And Cuoco is the absolute worst! I don't understand how or why people like her. She is not funny. At all. While she's not ugly, I wouldn't call her "eye-candy" but that alone is not sufficient to keep her. She is the MOST dispensable of all of the cast members.
Flag
Very difficult to get you wrong :-) I think she is great as Penny. Cannot possibly imagine the show without her.
Flag
I think Sheldom character is at his best when opposed to Penny, though.
Flag
Why shouldn't the cast of a very successful show share in the profits? WB is poised to make a tremendous amount of money off of this show, in the big picture, shouldn't the talent that makes up the show also profit? From Deadline " WBTV still is expected to clear $1 billion in profits," 1 billion!!! I think the cast deserves a portion of that.
Flag
It's sad to see what greed has done to the original 5 cast members, when it was Amy Farrah Fowler and Bernadette who gave the show a shot of interest the past couple seasons.
Flag
These two getting paid half of what Galecki and Cuoco get is... just ridiculous. It's the same correlation to Joey and Chandler's importance to Friends.
Flag
Joey could have been written off of Friends and nothing would have changed...Chandler however was one of the best characters.
Flag
The whole bromance thing would have been missing. The only other male character would have been Ross.
Flag
Says you, but there are a lot of fans for all of them, and Joey was one of the gang and Chandler played off of him, they all did.
Flag
At last! The gang is finally together.
Flag
Phew. Now this wonderfully brilliantly funny show can come back and the American viewing audience can delight in the sheer gut-busting hilarity of each and every episode.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That was sarcasm.
Flag
Actually its a bounty reward the actors get for finally killing Community.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC