A The Big Bang Theory Community
Monday 8:00 PM on CBS (Returning September 19, 2016)

The Big Bang Theory S07E24 "The Status Quo Combustion"

Aw, our little Sheldon is all grown up. 

Big changes arrived on The Big Bang Theory in the Season 7 finale and miraculously, Penny and Leonard's latest engagement survived. I think that maybe—just maybe—this might be the one that sticks. In recent seasons, the series has committed itself to expanding the bottle world of Sheldon, Leonard, Howard, and Raj into a thriving ecosystem, with complex relationships, motivations, and situations. Changes have come in waves, but as the very title of "The Status Quo Combustion" implied, the steps have always been modest and measured.

I don't think it would be accurate to say that Sheldon has never been affected by the changes going on around him, whether it be the Wolowitz-Rostenkowski wedding, Raj figuring out how to talk to women, or Leonard and Penny managing to make their relationship work. He's certainly been affected, just never as deeply and as quickly as the one-two punch of Leonard and Penny's engagement his roommate agreement into question, and Stu's comic book shop—Sheldon's safe haven—burning down all in a single frantic episode. 

All things considered, Sheldon showed a tremendou amount of maturity and growth in the face of quite a lot of change. An earlier Sheldon wouldn't have weathered the new landscape quite as well—which is not to say that it was a smooth process or that everything will be peachy keen when The Big Bang Theory returns in the fall. It's true, what Leonard said, about Sheldon being like Freaky Friday: He's a child trapped in an adult body. We've often seen the bratty side of the child in Sheldon, but children can be hurt so easily, and while Leonard and Penny are most certainly allowed to start planning their lives together without Sheldon, that plan is the latest hurt in a season that's seen a lot of pain for Sheldon Cooper. It's only been a few short weeks since he lost his childhood idol, Professor Proton, and dealt not only with that loss, but a lifelong lack of father figures. 

Sheldon may not demonstrate emotion outwardly in a way that most of us are accustomed to seeing it displayed, but that doesn't mean he isn't emotional. Leonard may not be a father or other authority figure in Sheldon's life, but he is an individual who's connected to Sheldon in a familial way, and someone to whom Sheldon has, likewise, attached himself, in his Sheldon-esque way. Sheldon was miffed at the idea of Leonard putting Penny's feelings over his own, and yes that was funny in that "Oh, Sheldon!" kind of way, but beyond the surface laughs, Sheldon's attitude reflected his childlike interpretation of Leonard's decision as yet another rejection from someone he cared about, yet another person not caring about him the same way, yet another person leaving him. 

Sheldon is a scientist. He knows how experiments work; a control sample is required so that the effect of different variables can accurately be studied. Sheldon's aversion to change has long been his method of maintaining control of his life—except that sometimes, despite the very best efforts of everyone in the lab, contamination happens. Sheldon doesn't seek out change, but it comes to him regardless. Friends get married, women fall in love with him, heroes die, and the luster of a dream job fades, whether Sheldon wants it to or not. 

In "The Status Quo Combustion," Sheldon finally took control of his own life. The agreements and arrangements and rules and meticulously organized cereal boxes have become ineffective. The experiment failed. It's time for a new experiment.  

Sheldon's decision to hit the road to "find himself" was the most obvious change to the status quo in the finale, but Stu and Raj took large steps toward something new as well. Raj got laid (and wouldn't STFU about it). And Stu, with the future of the comic book store up in the air following the fire, let Howard and Bernadette sucker him into caring for Momma Wolowitz... and ended up not hating it. 

For many TV shows, especially sitcoms, Season 7 is well into old age, when the wrinkles can't be hidden and the beer gut situation is hopeless, but The Big Bang Theory is resilient—and, apparently, quite malleable. It's not a matter of teaching an old dog new tricks, but an old dog figuring out how to use the tricks it's known for a long time now. 

THE STRAY OBSERVATION ADDENDUM

– "You guys propose all the time. This never happened." —Bernadette on Raj having sex.

– Will the comic shop be rebuilt?

– Penny has the Sheldon seal of approval. Awwww. 

– What do you think the Sheldon-Leonard-Penny living arrangement situation will be when we return to The Big Bang Theory?

– Will Amy and Sheldon ever shack up?

What'd you think of the finale? What's on your wishlist for Season 8?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/12/2016

Season 9 : Episode 24

175 Comments
Comments (175)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Finale? Didn't this season of shit just start with Sheldon living in a bus terminal?

Is Amy still a sucking up sycophantic enabling twat?

Dog bless all you idiots for sticking with this show.
Flag
I think that Sheldon should go visit leonards mother they are very compatible and in a past episode he said he was comfortable with her . They should have sex for science reasons and then she could guide Sheldon to his new career some where and wouldn't it be funny if she wound up pregnant !!!. Sheldon could get what he wants from leonards mom not amy. amy wants to MUCH and Sheldon made that clear hes not interested in commitment.
Flag
Love Love Love this show! If Penny and Leonard move accross the hall it won't be too hard to adjust. They same kind of thing happened on Freinds.
Flag
The more I think about it, I think they made a mistake with having the engagement this season. For 7 seasons Sheldon and Leonard have been roommates. It's going to be very hard, if not impossible, to adjust to them not being roommates, anymore. It just won't seem "right." With three more seasons to go, they should have waited until the last season. Then all four of them,,,Leonard, Penny, Sheldon, and Amy would have a double wedding.
Flag
Whatever is Amy hanging around for? Sheldon all but spelled it out, he thinks having a marriage, a home, a family is absurd, not worthy of consideration even. I want Amy to get jiggy with someone else!
Flag
You said it. She's pathetic in this show.
Flag
I think the writers need a way to take charters out of the show as all of the actors contracts are up. So Sheldon could leave for good. P & L could move out. The same for R with new girl friend. Etc. Hopefully the all sign contract and the show will continue.
Flag
So, you'd want the show to continue with just Howard, Bernadette, and Amy?
Flag
Just Howard, Bernadette, and Amy? Now wouldn't that make for a great show? NOT!
Flag
Can't wait to see what sheldon will do to live alone and what he will be like when he returns back to LA..... LOL
Flag
This episode isn't the first time Raj has gotten laid. He had sex in the first season in the episode 'The Middle-Earth Paradigm' (costume party) with a girl named Cheryl. She did all the talking and liked Raj because he was a "good listener." He was actually the first one of the four guys to get laid.
Flag
No, it's not the first time. However, he is still just getting accustomed to the dating world without a drink in his hand. The fact that he is actually dating this woman and slept with her without using alcohol as a crutch is actually a pretty big deal for him.
Flag
The problem with this show and many other sitcoms is that they forget the things they themselves did it. if you take the sheldon from the earlier episodes and compare to the one in season 7, they are like two different persons.
Flag
As bad as this season. We all know Sheldon will come back in the first episode and won't change. Stories are lame now. Next season will be without me.
Flag
I agree, all these "changes" just feel forced and unimportant. Everything is gonna end up as normal as always anyways. The completly erradicated their strongest arc, the Penny and Lennard romance. There used to be so much complexity and sadness in their relationship and the proposal should have been about that.
Probably gonna watch next season because what else r u gonna do, but terribly disappointed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Sheldon doesn't like change, he likes to be alone most of the time, but wants nearby when he needs them. The logical change to living arrangements is for him and Penny to switch.

Sheldon deciding to go walkabout is one of his best decisions ever.
Flag
Amy beating leonard is priceless.

Flag
I enjoyed that, too, even though Leonard couldn't force Sheldon to come back.
Flag
I don't think Stuart will or should be a factor in the Sheldon/Leonard/Penny living arrangements. He can live with Mrs. Wolowitz.

Sheldon is quite attached to both his apartment and living with Leonard. I don't think there's really room for S/L/P to live in S/L apartment since Penny has her own place, is a bit of a slob, and I don't know how there's room for all of Sheldon & Leonard's toys, comic books, & collectibles in their place. I think Sheldon will return with the confidence to live alone, or at least live apart from Leonard. Maybe he'll take the "psychic's" advice to advance his relationship with Amy by having her move into Leonard's bedroom. Leonard moves in with Penny as they prepare to get married and they're both still close to Sheldon. I don't think Penny's ever lived with a boyfriend and Leonard, Sheldon, & Amy certainly never have lived with a romantic partner so that will provide a source of tension & comedy as they get accustomed to the new living arrangements.
Flag
I can see three different "living" solutions to this in season 8: Sheldon living with Stewart, Sheldon living with Amy and Sheldon living with Leonard AND Penny. Leonard and Penny is probably the way to go as it offers the most fun, with Stewart probably the least likely.

Will be interesting to see how things turn out. After all they have at least 3 more seasons they can plan with now... and maybe that's just what got the producers to shake things up so much in this finale ;-)
Flag
can't wait to see what sheldon will be like when he returns...
Flag
No mention of finally learning Mrs. Wolowitz's first name? I mean, it's obviously nowhere near as important as Penny's last name, but it is a mystery solved.
Flag
better the rumor of Penny's last name is Milton. It mention on a few things around the web.

Don't like it. Personally I believe it's Hennessey and she just changed her name from Bridget to Penny when she moved to California to be an actress. (8 Simple Rules reference!)
Flag
It was great. Especially the last scene. I think TBBT really packed it up great this season. It needed change and they did it very well.

But it also showed that the show must not go on for ever. It needed these major changes, but it probably won't take any more.

Flag
It was decent, but I hate major changes too like that. I bet Sheldon and that comic book guy will be roommates.
Flag
The only thing I couldn't really understand is why Leonard suggested that Sheldon move across the hall into Penny's apartment and then Penny move into their apartment. That plan requires that two people move when it would be easier for Leonard to just move across the hall into Penny's apartment. That way only one person has to pack up and move instead of and it hopefully lessens the blow for Sheldon since he won't have to move out of his home. Idk why that never crossed Leonard's mind, why does he need to stay in that apartment?
Flag
Did you pay attention to what Leonard said to Sheldon?

Leonard said was,
Sheldon you could move cross the hall or I could move cross hall with Penny... He never said just a thing only Sheldon moving...

When the ladies were talking about this similar thing about, where Leonard & Penny be living together...

Penny said was,
She could move in with Leonard & Sheldon's apartment or Leonard could move in with her into her apartment...
Flag
ahh, ok i must have missed that part cuz that definitely annoyed me.
Flag
He probably ment that he and Penny needs more space than Sheldon does living alone.
Flag
Why? Why would Leonard and Penny need a two bedroom? And there has been no indication in the show that Penny's apartment is any bigger or smaller than Sheldon's, other than Sheldon's being a two-bedroom so technically they're the same size. Plus, technically its Sheldon's apartment as he lived there first and then let Leonard move in. So with that being the case, why would Sheldon need to move out when it was his apartment first? Leonard is the one getting married so he should be the one to move out. You can't move into someone else's home and then when you get married say "hey you need to move out of your home cuz I'm getting married now."
Flag
I'm sad because TBBT used to be my favourite comedy, but the episodes rarely make me laugh anymore and when they do it's 100% penny or Bernadette. I think the problem is that they are taking themselves too seriously, going for a deeper comedy like HIMYM, but the problem in that is that if they start getting more serious then they will have to deal with the fact that their character Sheldon IS autistic and if that is so Lenoard is a terrible person for constantly making fun of him and his ways, calling him a child. The producers have said they don't want to come out and label Sheldon autistic or with aspergers because that would make the show too serious, but that's the direction they are headed.
Flag
The writers are on a very fine line when it comes to Sheldon, if they don't want to stereotype him suffering from autism/asperger's they will have to let him grow as a person otherwise the whole socially awkward/hyper intelligence spiel will push him into the asshole category... fast.
Flag
I think this episode with Sheldon is an attempt by the writers to dig themselves out of exactly that hole - Sheldon has mostly been an asshole this series rather than an annoying man-child savant. If Sheldon has an opportunity to grow some maturity it gives them a route out.

Of course, that may just kill the last vestiges of the comedy as well.
Flag
May just kill the last vestiges of the comedy as well? It WOULD kill the last vestiges of comedy.
Flag
Sheldon is an asshole with practically no redeeming qualities. Just that time he offered Penny money was he ever self-less.
Flag
First, I always get a kick out of these comments, as so many seem to treat these people as if they were real. But after seven seasons I can get to thinking they are people I know too. Fact is, if these were real people Sheldon wouldn’t have any teeth left as they would have been punched out for his nasty comments about people a long time ago.

On to the situation at hand, I enjoyed the episode. As a follower of these discussions in the past, a lot of TBBT viewers have really disliked the character development of these men, and now the women who love them. Are they always likeable people? NO! If they were it wouldn’t be a TV show. But for me the fun is watching them interact as who they are, with all their friction, human frailty, etc. And along with this I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them grow into the people they have become, and I look forward to the next three years and seeing them continue to mature and transform.

Sheldon has some real issues, and the idea that he has Asperger Syndrome, a mild form of autism, may be appropriate. In the past he has demonstrated his inability to do what others do; touch, be close, etc. He has little sense of humor, can’t read facial expressions, often can’t discern sarcasm, and so forth. He once escaped to the Comic Book Store when Penny and Leonard were arguing. So for him to be as upset as he was by the cascade of transition presented to him in this episode is understandable, as is his desire to leave. Some of us remember him leaving for Bozeman, Montana after the break in and burglary of the apartment years back. This is just another example of his need to deal with his personal inner conflict by stepping back from the situation. I agree that there will be growth from it.

As for Raj, while I am happy to see his character getting involved with someone, it was pretty crass to come in and publicly share that he had relations with her. But that is the dynamic of the friendship of these people. I have always thought the producers and writers missed a bet by not having him reconnect with Abby, played by Danica McKellar in Season 3, Episode 12, “The Psychic Vortex”. She was so interested in him that it would have been a no brainer to bring her on to be Raj’s version of Bernadette. But no knock on Laura Spencer as Emily. She’s doing good work, and Emily is a good character. Yet I can’t help feeling that Raj, as has so often happened, is heading for another big fall. And if so Abby should show up with real feelings for him.

Stuart... My heart has gone out to him, and the actor who plays him. It has been tough for them to figure out what to do with him, even as he was added to the cast. And the depression angle has at times been hard to watch. So with the destruction of the store, and now the very funny new angle of him being the care-giver to “Debbie”; for me this was very enjoyable and very welcome. But I will miss the scenes at the store if that is a permanent removal.

Now on to Leonard and Penny and their living arraignment; after over 7 years as roommates the apartment is certainly as much Leonard’s as Sheldon’s. But it should remain Sheldon’s, and the centerpiece it has been from the beginning. Also he could never leave because of his center of the universe: his place on the couch. Now some have said that adding Stuart as Sheldon’s roommate would be a way to go, and I think that may be a possibility. But if they could pull it off I think even funnier would be to pair Sheldon with Barry Kripke. John Ross Bowie has done a fantastic job with that character, he really gets under Sheldon’s skin, and while I don’t think it will happen it makes me smile just to imagine the ramifications of that pairing.

Finally I want to say kudos to the writers and producers for getting Leonard and Penny to their pre-wedding state. I have enjoyed this relationship and its transformation a lot, and look forward to the next stage of their development. Maybe now Penny’s acting career will take off. Maybe they will start a family. But whatever they do I’ll be watching.
More+
Flag
In addition to my previous comments, I'd like to add that if Stuart becomes more than just an attempted suicide joke, that would be just marvelous.
Flag
I'm slightly apprehensive about who will replace Leonard at Sheldons place. I'm epically opposed to the idea of Amy moving in with him as I think that comically it will bomb. I'd love it if Raj or even Stuart moved in with him. I'll always love this show :)
Flag
He and Raj got along pretty good when Raj temporarily moved in with Sheldon.
Flag
Aw, our little Sheldon is all grown up.

Is that what you call it? I call it narcissistic personality disorder with a heaping helping of selfish self serving prick thrown in.

Childlike? I'd hate to meet the children you know.
Flag
Someone with narcissistic personality disorder doesn't act like Sheldon does. Their behaviour is way worse and a lot more cruel.
Flag
I agree I can't stand sheldon
Flag
Actually I think that Sheldon feel the same emotions as would anyone else (when your friends mov out, get married - it´s quite sad, when you don´t see a point in your work and you can´t change it - it also very sad etc) but he just speaks about it loudly and honestly. That´s the only different.
Flag
I really liked the episode. I hope Penny and Leonard stays together. Leonards mom is always funny. Sheldon was being Sheldon and it was both funny and a bit sad. I love the relationship between Penny and Sheldon. Stuarts store burning was sad and it was really funny to see him happy with Howards mom. I am looking forward to next season and to see what the new living arrangement will be.
Flag
Didn't like it. boring end to a bad season
Flag
I actually liked the episode, which cannot be said about the season as a whole.
Flag
Will Amy and Sheldon ever shack up?
Erm... yes. Season 10, finale, Sheldon will propose. Amy duping him into going to Vegas or something seems too contrived even for this show. Plus we want to continue to see Sheldon grow, maybe after his train trip he'll have more perspective about what he wants.
They'll hold off their coupling as long as they can- at least til the ratings start to drop.
Flag
Really liked it. Surprised that the engagement didn't get called off, that seemed like something they would do to us. Can not wait until fall.
Flag
The Penny/Leonard engagement has to stick because Kaley is married now and may want children; while Sheldon has indeed played true to character form I simply can't stand to see Amy sad any longer and Sheldon continuously lash out at her when he's got a problem. Either break them up or let's see some more growth writers at TBBT* because seriously the cruelty and neglect is not funny. Amy is an otherwise educated intelligent successful woman and she shouldn't and more than likely wouldn't put up with Sheldon's non-sense.
Flag
Of course Leonard & Penny engagement with stick together down the aisle... Because Kaley himself wants to see Penny and Leonard married... Since they've been thru so much together for the past 7 years...
Flag
Agreed, the whole scene at the train station I was thinking "So he's just leaving without a word to Amy?" then was kind of sad she was basically okay with it. I was hoping she'd get a "Oh hell no" attitude about it so Sheldon would have to do some unaccustommed groveling when he comes back which could actually push their relationship along.
Flag
she wasn't okay with it, at the end of the episode she started pelting leonard with a pillow saying "how could you let him go?"
Flag
She was mad at Leonard not Sheldon.
Flag
i didnt say she was mad at sheldon, thats why she was pelting leonard with the pillow, she was upset with leonard for letting him go.
Flag
"DID YOU TOOK A MARIJUANA!?!!?!" LMAO im still in tears xP
Flag
Whatever the living arrangements will be when TBBT comes back in the fall, Sheldon's appartment will still be the center of the show, no matter who lives there and how.
Flag
I was thinking about that. When Sheldon returns, one of the apartments will be gone. Leonard and Penny are going to live together, most likely in Sheldon's apt. (I say Sheldon's because he was there first and let Leonard move in) So Penny's apt. will be rented out to someone else. Or if they live in Penny's apt., Sheldon's will be rented to someone else. So when Sheldon returns from finding himself, he has nowhere to live. Not in that building, anyway. Leonard and Penny will want their privacy, so Sheldon can't live with them.
Flag
Since Sheldon was there first and let Leonard move in with him im confused as to why Sheldon would or should be the one to move out. And if Leonard move into Penny's apartment, why would Sheldon leave his? What does Leonard staying with Penny have to do with Sheldon and his apartment?
Flag
I personally really doubt the changes will be that big. Might be that Leonard lives with Penny across the hall and Sheldon gets a new roommate. That is about as massive a change as I am willing to predict.
I think the show requires these guys to live very close together. Everyone showing up in one place is one of the main pillars of this show and they will keep that in one way or the other.
Flag
Good points.
Flag
Maybe Sheldon can be a roommate with Stuart?
Flag
Really good episode. They have move all the characters on subtly (or not so much) this year and matured them. This was a good way to show the changes and the disquieting effect it can have on people. They need to keep the fundamental conceit of the show in place but change the characters enough to keep it interesting to the longtime followers. And its nice that Stuart was happy for a change!
I would like to see Leonard's father in the next season... Robin Williams show just got cancelled..
Flag
The episode wasn't really anything unexpected - did anyone really think that Sheldon would react well to Leonard proposing new living engagements?

Sometimes the writers can go overboard with Sheldon's selfishness, something I think this episode suffered from mostly because of the familiarity of the content. We've seen Sheldon being affected by change before, so watching him react so egotistically to news a 'normal' friend would be happy to here was more grating than it usually would be.

I found the scene he shared with Stuart particularly annoying. Stuart is a character The Big Bang Theory is awfully mean to, his life is basically a never-ending joke (as it was even alluded to in this episode) so for Sheldon to berate Stuart for being sarcastic towards him after his home and livelihood had been burnt to the ground was aggravating.

That being said, I do like how this has now lead to the surprise development of Stuart becoming Howard's mother's carer. Who knows if this is a storyline the series will continue when it returns (she may have very well recovered by then) but at least in allowed Stuart to be in this episode since he's been so visibly absence recently, and actually allowed his character to have some semblance of a storyline.

Anyway, I digress, the other thing I really enjoyed about the episode was the growth it showed in Sheldon and Leonard. The Big Bang Theory is one of those shows that so masterfully builds on characters and relationships at a snails pace, while still allowing the material to maintain fresh for audiences. Sheldon deciding to leave to clear his head was a very adult decision on his part, one he wouldn't have been able to make without all the change occurring in his life (after all, that's the whole point of the series, isn't it? Penny's the big bang that started it all). Even more impressive though is that Leonard had to let him go. Like I said, we all assumed that Sheldon would be adverse to change, but in that it's easy to forgot how important Sheldon is to Leonard and that his progressing relationship with Penny will now greater alter that he shares with Sheldon. I would have liked a bit more of the episode devoted to this idea, rather than it being so Sheldon-centric and having the short scene at the train station at the end, but it was sweet nonetheless.

After seven seasons I still look forward to watching this show on a weekly basis, and even more surprisingly, it still has the potential to produce some entertaining storylines and to further develop it's characters, so I'm eagerly awaiting season eight.
More+
Flag
Overall it was decent enough, highlight being Leonard's mom as usual.

Though obvious continuity errors here. First, why would Sheldon move out? It's his apartment. Leonard moving out to be with Penny makes way more sense.

Second, What happened to Sheldon and Leonard were already apart when Raj moved in. And leaving that aside, in season 1 (or was it 2?) When Leondard was dating Stefanie, Sheldon already had backup procedures for the 3 of them living together entirely.
Why does Penny only get a day a week?

Flag
You're forgetting that when Leonard was dating Priya, she lawyered Sheldon and forced changes in the roommate agreement. It literally is not the same now as it was in the early seasons.

Raj is happy in his current space, and isn't going to move in with Sheldon. TBH, I'm really surprised that Sheldon lives with anyone at all... it can't be the rent, because Penny can afford her apartment alone, and she was a waitress. She wasn't out-earning a university research scientist. (Plus, the elevator's been out of order for years... this is not a high-rent district.)
Flag
My point was that Sheldon was willing to accept Stephanie as a roomate and the three of them living together. So why is not willing to consider Penny?

Raj and Leonard switching was just an example. The point is Sheldon can see himself without Leonard.

And as for why Sheldon isn't living alone, in season 1 (or 2? The episode where Penny spent the night on the couch) Sheldon tells Leonard:
"I don't like house guests, If I could handle the rent I'd get rid of you"
He does need the rent...

Keep in mind that they mentioned on several occasions that Leonard helps pay Penny's bills and that her cable\electricity is often being disconnected (in the early seasons)
Flag
With regards to the living arrangement, Raj was temporary. If Sheldon approves of the girl in the early seasons, then maybe the back up works. Penny was always different because Sheldon feels she is always an outsider(intellectually inferior/trainable) even lower than Wolowitz with a Masters degree..just my 2 cents.
Flag
Actually Sheldon places Penny in higher esteem than Wolowitz. That's a continuous joke on the show. I agree with the sentiment that it's strange Sheldon doesn't have a plan for Penny to live with them permanently, not just once a week.
Flag
Great episode. It's hard for me to feel THAT much sympathy for Sheldon. While he still makes me laugh a lot as a character, he still feels the world should revolve around him as a person. Sorry but I can't truly sympathize for someone who feels like that. However, I do appreciate that Sheldon made the decision on his own to explore by himself. It definitely shows a big maturity in him to not need Leonard, Penny, or anybody else to care for him. I'm also very happy for Leonard and Penny thinking about moving forward in their relationship too. They're taking it slow (well, seven years is quite slow anyway LOL) and not going full throttle.

OMG, no more comic book shop?!!!! That was probably the most shocking revelation in this episode to me. I felt so bad for Stuart, but it was very funny how easily he got along with Howard's mom (Jeanette, i think) after EVERYBODY ELSE had had enough of her. LMFAO!!!

Raj finally had sex!! With a woman, a hot one at that!!! Good for him!
Flag
I like the fact that the show is maturing and growing! It explores ways to expand so it does get in a rut! Its comedy! If I over analyze it, it ceases to be fun! After 7 seasons Penny and Leo needed to do something! Ross & Rachel ring a bell?! Tel me a decent story. Make me laugh. Distract me from life for a little while! This is a great show with lots of culture references and it makes me laugh! I will continue to watch until it is no longer funny! Thank You BBT for adding some enjoyment to my life!
Flag
I enjoyed that they had Penny wear the locket Leonard gave her a year ago again. Only a small little detail but i adds :)
Flag

I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!!
Flag
I am so thrilled Stuart is finally happy!!!
Flag
Hell yeah!.

Could it be that stuart become howard's new father?... mg!.. you can call me daddy howard.. xD... that would be sick!.
Flag
Probably not, but I can totally see him moving into Howard's room and becoming an ersatz kid.
Flag
I feel like many around here don't really get that Sheldon being an asshole to his friends and them reacting disdainful is the comedic trigger for this show. It's the joke without which TBBT wouldn't work. And that's the point, it's a joke; it's never serious and they get it across pretty well when they show real emotion in both directions from time to time.

This is still a comedy, not a dramedy like HIMYM was in its later seasons. You have to be able to distinguish between the comedic and the dramatic bits, otherwise you won't get the show or its characters.
Flag
I really enjoyed it, and for a couple of reasons. None of which are the Raj jokes. I'm happy his character has someone in his life, but dear lord, to be so flippant after what, 8 years of nothing?!? Maybe he really just doesn't deserve a good woman. Forget the fake bravado, show him on the floor thanking Shiva, Ghinsnu, Thor and whoever else he should thank... Stan Lee.
I really liked seeing Stuart happy at the end of the episode. I hope they find a way to bring back his comic book store in someway, but he was clearly not happy there. And print media as a whole is dying, so there is little future for a guy with no money and no corporate backing to make a success of it, so chances are he was always going to be unhappy. But as the one person who likes Howard's mom, that is great! And it gives him a reason to be on the show more.
And I like the idea of Sheldon going off on his little walkabout. Last year Leonard went to sea, Before that Howard went to space. And Raj is from an entirely different continent. Sheldon could only change so much if he never left the apartment or the university. And this can be a good thing for his character. Maybe he comes back with a breakthrough in String Theory. Maybe its a personal emotional breakthrough. Maybe he grows a beard and tries a marijuana. But next season can start with the gang catching up on his life instead of the other way around. Its been renewed through 2017, so they can play around a bit before everyone ends up married with kids.
More+
Flag
I like Raj a lot, more than most of the other main characters (except Sheldon), but I agree, he has this annoying tendency to act over-confident occasionally and he turns into a bragging sexist. It's like he writers can't find a happy medium between him being a self-pitying loner or this, which is annoying.

And it was great seeing Stuart happy, wasn't it? I really do hope they will use his charcter more next season...
Flag
It's even more hilarious about Raj because in the early seasons he was the super stud of the group and scored a LOT. It's only after adding Amy and having everyone else in relationships that they turned him into the group's loser.

But for the record, Leonard and Howard constantly bragged about their dates to him, so I don't see the problem it going the other way around.
Flag
I was going to reply the same thing about Howard and Leonard always throwing the fact that they were dating and have sex in his face constantly
Flag
I thought it was bizarre that Leonard thought a possible solution would be for Sheldon to move into Penny's. If he wants to move, fine.
Flag
agreed. that suggestion annoyed me. leonard is the one getting married, if he wants to live with his wife then he needs to be the one to move.
Flag
he was just saying it as one possible idea....i think it's funny that commenters are all pissed about it, lol.
Flag
Probably because it was stupid.
Flag
That drove me up the wall. It's Sheldon's apartment, but it looked like they wanted to force him out so they could have it.
Flag
It was probably suggested simply because earlier on in the series, Sheldon states that he can not afford the rent by himself. It is only logical that a 1 bedroom apartment (which you can tell is quite smaller if you pay attention) being much cheaper.
Flag
Just because they suggest it doesn't mean they're trying to force it.
Realistically, they could get married and move anywhere... leaving Sheldon without a driver (would Amy step up, if she weren't allowed to move in?)

Suggesting that Sheldon switch to the other apartment is actually less stressful for him in the long run, though of course he'll never see it that way.
Flag
i dont get this. Sheldon lived in the apartment first and then Leonard moved in. Why would Sheldon be the one to move? You can't move into someone else home and say "ok I'm getting married now so you need to move out of the home you were clearly in first." Besides, Leonard's suggestion requires that TWO people be uprooted; sheldon has to pack up and move to penny's and then penny has to pack up and move to sheldon's whereas it would be easier for ONE person, ie Leonard, to just move to penny's. and why would leonard and penny need a 2 bedroom, they may have kids but most likely not for awhile. and i think it would be more stressful for sheldon to have to pack up and move out of the place he's called home for like 8 years than for leonard to just move across the hall.
Flag
Well, it's both their apartment, they share rent. But I think the reasoning behind this is, that if Sheldon still lives across the hall, he'd still have Leonard to drive him around and to work, instead of him living far away.
Flag
No, it's Sheldon's apartment. He pays the rent, Leonard is his sub rent.

I have no problem with Leonard moving into Penny's but asking Sheldon to live is absurd. Had they at least said something like it's bigger or better or something maybe.
Flag
Sheldon living in a one-bedroom apartment would put a kibosh on any notions of Amy to move in with him ^^
Flag
I think it's always been clear that Penny's apartment is smaller. It's only a one bedroom, compared to Sheldon and Leonard's two bedroom.
Flag
Ok, if we want to pick out Sheldon's flaws, lets look at some of the other characters for balance. Stuart is so full of self-loathing it's a miracle he hasn't committed suicide. Penny is a lush that has strongly hinted in several episodes that she spits on peoples food if they say something she doesn't like. Leonard, although he is capable of being very funny, is so possessive he has a nervous breakdown over Penny in almost every episode. In the early seasons Howard, although funny, was a total creep. Now he's unfunny and is the perfect definition of 'whipped." Bernadette? She's a domineering, very short tempered, careless, shrieking banshee that shouldn't be allowed within 100 miles of a lab that has micro-organisms. Amy? She seems to have a fondness for torturing animals. But lets dump on Sheldon, right? Point being is that they all have flaws, some a lot worse than Sheldon's.
Flag

Everyone else is a supporting character. Not that everyone doesn't have flaws, but analysis of this show will always be as it pertains to Sheldon.
Flag
I actually think the show could survive if Jim Parsons left. He is the center, but the edges are strong enough to survive it if he got tired of playing the role.
The "and then Sheldon does something insane" dynamic is kind of lazy.
Flag
I agree that Sheldon antics can be a tired premise, but if he did leave the show (TBBT not a spinoff) it would last about as long as Scrubs did without Zach Braff.
Flag
well. tbh, TBBT is actually centered around Howard. It's only because of the weird tension that sheldon's character created that the people like him. I do, too. But, they show glimpses of how howard is the main character in some eps.
Flag
How can a character be a main character by 'showing glimpses' of it in 'some eps?' Doesn't make sense. I like Howard, and I would watch Simon Helberg in a spinoff, but TBBT is not about him.
Besides, Jim Parsons contract is separate from the rest of the cast, cuz just like Castle in Castle or House in House, he gets paid a LOT more.
Flag
Bernadette is also a sociopath and guilty of crimes against humanity if her little random stories about work are true.
Flag
Exactly. She is scary! I wouldn't want her anywhere near a bio lab.
Flag
It might be good for Sheldon to get away for a while. He felt overwhelmed by all the changes going on and just needed some time. I was glad Leonard & Penny opted to give him some space and let him figure things out.
Flag
The thing that bugs me about that is that it all started with him wanting to change his field but the university wouldn't let him.

So isn't that the other way around? He wants to change but can't?
I think they screwed something in the symbolism here.
Flag
i think changing the field is something that is more factual, your grant is already set, you can't use it for other research other than what you applied for or they take the grant back (which means he is out of a job anyway). the other change is about the people who cares and he is connected to deeply, that is more emotional.
Flag
You can get put on a different grant, and keep working at the same place on different research. It doesn't happen often, but it is at least theoretically possible.
The university doesn't want to let Sheldon change because they'd have to close out the grant, and that grant is paying for more than just Sheldon's salary.
Flag
Jesus, this was a mess... Fortunately it's end of the season, so I may change my mind until next one starts, but, when did all the characters (except Leonard, Penny and Amy) became such pathetic self obsessed bastards?

These are not friends, they are each other's punching bags. This is 2 1/2 man level...
Flag
I'm sorry, are we watching the same show? Sheldon has always been self-obsessed, and I wouldn't except Leonard, Penny and Amy from this at all, each have varying degrees of self-centeredness (and really, who doesn't). And they've always made jokes at each other's expense. Have you seen how they treat Raj? I guess we see different things.
Flag
Yes, of course, the darn thing would not get 3 season if somebody out there doesn't like it :)
Never mind though, not following this show as of now, so it doesn't make sense to start wars over it ;) It just reached some kind of breaking point with me...
Flag
Fair enough, I just guess I find it odd that you feel this way about the series. I have, at times, felt a little frustration at how the series treats its characters and how they treat one another, but there are several other sitcoms that treat each other or certain characters within them a lot worse.

New Girl and Parks and Recreation spring to mind.
Flag
Hence me not watching them, lol :D
Flag
NOTHING can go as low as 2 1/2 Men !
Flag
Oh, it certanly can, and TBBT came very close with this one
Flag
Have you seen Dads?
Flag
Yep. It's nowhere near as bad as 2 1/2 Men.
Flag
The episode itself was mediocre, there was no real fun in it, more ongoing about the changes that may come....
Keep in mind, that BBT has been renewed for 3!! more seasons, the producers can experiment new point of views of the characters, not 7 Seasons of the "Status Quo" anymore.
Rajesh may become a real good boyfriend (this girl is worth it, is worth anything).
A long journey of Sheldon may lure him back into Amys arms,
Stuart and Mrs Wolowitz make passionate love... ok, forget this one
Flag
How is this 7 seasons of Status Quo when almost all of the characters have totally flipped out since the beginning?

Leonard - Turned from a shy pathetic guy who can't get a date to a total super stud that bangs gorgeous models every chance he gets - Penny, Pria, Elisabeth, even Alex was drooling all over him.

Sheldon - Turned from someone who can't recognize anything of human facial expression or social conduct let alone dating life into a solid boyfriend that also kisses and snuggles and while Sheldon made a note that he has issues with sarcasm in this episode - he actually hasn't had any for a long time.

Howard - Turned from a womanizing "horny engineer" (his words) with lowest job on the career path of all of them into a national hero astronaut with a domesticated life.

Raj - Turned from the weird guy who couldn't talk to women yet oddly enough was the super stud of the group that scored constantly to the pathetic loser of the group that cured his illness.

Bernadette - Turned from a shy mousy girl into a vicious vindictive and semi psychotic bossy person

Amy - Turned from being Sheldon's clone to an actual extreme version of somewhere between Howard's horny antics and Leonard's constant desire to be with the cool kids.

The only status quo on this show is Penny.
More +
Flag
I love your description of Bernadette.
Flag
"Stuart and Mrs Wolowitz make passionate love... ok, forget this one" - if they do it off-camera, then why not :D
Flag
Mrs Wolowitz is actually a man :)
Flag
And it will be even less fun next season. It's heading in the direction of being an angst-filled drama show.
Flag
It was decent, but . I hate major changes too like that. I bet Sheldon and that comic book guy will be roommates.
Flag
Now that I'd like to see!
Flag
This is the definition of irony.
Flag
Nope, this would be the definition of Irony:

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

And it doesn't have anything to do with what he said.
Flag
Do pardon me: "A prime example for one of irony's definitions."

Isn't it ironic to you that a viewer of a TV show would have the exact problems with an episode's plot development one of the main characters has within the episode?

Also, I know this is the internet and all but can we still be friends?
Flag
Hard to believe that after all these years Sheldon and Leonard won't be roomates anymore.
Flag
They used the same apartment set for every season of HIMYM, but the occupants changed regularly.
Flag
Someone missed season 4 finale?
Flag
Friends was an extremely successful show that went out on top. Is anyone seeing the pattern BBT is following? All those characters matured and changed and it opened new doors for the quality of the show.
Flag
Behave yourself ! The writers couldn't possibly be so stupid as to change the fundamental concept of the show so much in one quick stroke.

Somehow or another, he'll be back but it might be a seed change to come.
Flag
Have to feel for Sheldon. Lots of things happening to him and turning his life upside down. Seeing his mom and that guy on the couch. Realizing that he has wasted his most intellectually fruitful years chasing the wild goose called String Theory. The comic book store being destroyed. (yeah, it was only a comic book store, but it was one of his anchors) Another very important person in his life dying,,,Professor Proton. And other things. He's been bombarded pretty much this season,,,one thing after another. So many changes coming so fast isn't healthy for anyone, mentally or physically.
Flag
I have nil sympathy for him.

He has a genius IQ, knowing absolutely that he's Hell to live with, treating his "friends" with disdain unless it suits him and simply refusing to do anything about it.

It's long gone time he stopped being a little Man/Boy.
Flag
Sheldon has Asperger's. You should have sympathy for him. I know people without it who would have major problems with that much change in their lives. The show has, for a comedy, been handling his character development quite well.
Flag
He has Asperger's? Have this been mentioned in the show?
Flag
"Sheldon doesn't seem like he just says rude things, he seems like he doesn't care for his friends at all."
Doesn't he though? Once in a while he does showcase genuine feelings for his friends, Leonard especially. This makes me interpret him as being merely uncomfortable socially with the instances of him being a dick simply turned up for comedic effect.
Flag
Maybe he has this syndrome but as long as he is not diagnosed with that, it could just be that he likes to be candled and doesn't really care about his friends. If I remember correctly, Aspeger's makes you say the truth even if it is rude because you can't understand that it is wrong/rude/can hurt and indeed people with it have these rules in everyday life that should never change (like sit on the same spot etc). But they still love and care for other people. Sheldon doesn't seem like he just says rude things, he seems like he doesn't care for his friends at all. Sometimes he appears to do things to satisfy people but he just does these to make them do something in return. He never does them altruistically, just to make them feel nice.

I understand that Sheldon is written like a cartoon character and most of these rude/insensitive words/acts are supposed to be jokes (and some are funny). So I like the character in the show. But I'm not so eager to like him as a real-life person and sympathize with him because if he was indeed a real person (and he really doesn't have any psychiatric problem) then I could never like him or even sympathize with him.

That being said, maybe this trip will provide him with some character development. For the first time he will live on his own and he will understand how many things other people do for him, that he is actually supposed to do himself. Maybe he'll appreciate his friends more and change a little bit for the better. We will see...
More +
Flag
"Parsons, who plays Sheldon, has read John Elder Robison's memoir Look Me in the Eye about his life with Asperger syndrome, and said that: "A majority of what I read in that book touched on aspects of Sheldon"."
(from here).

It has never been stated on the show. Quite the contrary, he often says "I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested!". However, he does exhibit many character traits I would place somewhere around there and what's for sure is that he has a pathological fear of change. There is no place in his psyche for spontaneity - which sudden change effectively boils down to.
Flag
He has been doing that over the life of the series...this was another step...
Flag
I kept thinking Leonard was going to suggest Sheldon visit his mother, or Sheldon would, or will, decide to go there. She is a psychologist, right? That might be kind of amusing to have him return next season from visiting her for help.
Flag
She's an anthropologist.
Flag
No. Leonard's dad is the anthropologist
Flag
The problem is they have schedule issues with her, this is why she is constantly in video chats.
Flag
She doesn't have to be in a scene. Next season, for instance, Sheldon could simply return home stating he had been to visit her or something.
Flag
I always wanted to be a hobo.
Flag
it doesn't take a lot to arrange it if you still want to

Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members