A The Big Bang Theory Community
Monday 8:00 PM on CBS (Returning September 19, 2016)
In case you missed it Kaley Cuoco got married on New Years Eve, so congrats to her.

This week we had 3 storylines to deal with - Penny and Leonard, Raj and Stuart and Sheldon trying to solve humor.....with science!

Firstly, Penny got a part on NCIS -or NCSTD as she called it.

But her part got cut - I have to say, Kaley Cuoco's facial expression during this excellent, and I was glad they didn't have her overreact - like she did in the Thanksgiving episode to her marriage situation.
Unfortunately Leonard put not just his foot, but his entire leg in his mouth when he tried to console Penny - which I found a bit annoying, and explain why later.

Leonard tired to save the situation by getting Penny an audition on the new Star Wars film - BTW it was a real thing click here for details - but because it is obviously a PR stunt, Penny isn't impressed.

Penny, after having a few glasses of wine, proposed to Leonard and he hesitated, so she left. This leaves Leonard pondering whether or not Penny is going to call time on the situation - I have 2 theories. Either they split up and we get a Ross and Rachel situation or a big romantic proposal and they get engaged

Secondly we had Raj and Stuart

Raj took Stuart as his "date" to view Penny's scene, which just seemed to be a way of getting them there own storyline to talk to "regular" people in the hope of building enough social skills to talk to pretty girls in a normal fashion.

While there were some good lines - Raj seems to steal a lot of scenes in most episodes - it felt like another unnecessary plot in a season that has had a lot of them. They are still trying to do too much in each episode and its watering down the quality.

Also, you would think that they'd talk to "regular" people all the time - Stuart owns a shop for God's sake - and the payoff with the security guard was just weak.
If they are going to keep this duo going they need to give them better plots - speed dating with some over 60's ladies would have been a better situation, and they could easily use it to cut between the other storylines.

Thirdly, Sheldon tried to tell jokes.
This was a missed opportunity for me, but there were some nice parts-
Leonards delivery trailing off when he delivered the "If you are fine with people laughing at you...." was good
Sheldon's line of "I've been studying how to make people laugh", while not a contender for line of the night, was a great line because of its timing and Leonards beleaguered reaction to it.
Even though you had to know a shout was coming, "BRAIN LESIONS!!!" was funny, but Amy's reaction just added to it.
The fact that Mayim Bialik looks like she is about to laugh could have something to do with it =

Also her reaction to Sheldon dropping his pants was priceless. The way she eyed him up and down and then gave this reaction=

And if anyone has a GIF of Sheldon doing his little twirl to the whiteboard after this bit, please post, because the look on his face wile he did it made me chuckle.

Overall
Some very good lines - nothing spectacular - and a solid, but uneven episode for me (7/10).
Also, the scene with Sheldon and Leonard at the end was touching and handled well.
Some of the relationship angle could of been handled better.
Penny's chat with Leonard - after her call from her Dad - actually highlighted something for me.
Leonard hasn't actually developed too much as a character in certain areas.
The writers are taking the easy option by having him put his foot in his mouth, and by the end of most episodes the situation is resolved (admittedly not in this episode).
I would of thought by now that he didn't have to be so brutally honest in situations like this.
He could have come over with the Star Wars audition plan (instead of his honest approach) and still have the same result - Penny being disappointed with his "solution", getting drunk while watching tv alone and then going over to his appartment.
The audience could have some other funny stuff instead - personally I would have loved to see a knockknockAmy scene.

MVP - Kaley Cuoco.
Not too many funny lines, but her performance was really good at times, especially the scene where her part was cut.

LINES OF THE NIGHT

Leonard - "So it's just flirting"
Penny - "Well,yeah...why?"
Leonard - "No reason. I just think its sexier when things are left to the imagination"
Amy looks toward Sheldon - "He's wrong"

Sheldon - "Leonard, do you think I'm funny?"
Leonard - "Noooooo....Do you?"
Sheldon - "I think I'm hysterical"
Leonard - "I take it back, THAT was funny!"

Leonard - "I'm proud of you"
Penny - "We haven't even got to my scene yet"
Leonard - "I know, but you're going to be a tv star and you haven't left me yet......and that takes guts"

Sheldon - "They say that comedy is tragedy plus time" .......looks at wrist watch....... "Lets tickle some ribs"

Penny talking to her dad - "No, I don't need you to come out and kick Mark Harmon's ass"

Sheldon "BRAIN LESION'S!!!"

Stuart - "We could go to that department store, practice on the mannequins"
Raj - "I don't know. They're dressed very stylishly, they're probably stuck up"

Amy - "Do you have any idea how hard it is to laugh at a knock knock joke that starts with "knockknockAmyknockknockAmy"

Howard -"Yeah, well I fake my orgasms"

Sheldon - "Leonard wait"
Leonard - "What"
Sheldon - "I forgot to tell you the sandwich was promiscuous"

Stuart - "How about those guys on that bench over there? They look look pathetic. I bet we could talk to them"
Raj - "That's a mirror"

Notes -

I can't remember - did they ever mention Penny having a brother before?

Bernie's tribute to when Harry Met Sally was.... interesting

While there were a lot of good lines tonight, the reactions made me laugh harder than the actual jokes

88 Comments
Comments (88)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
You guys are awsome,I"m a huge fan I really enjoy your show keep up the good work guys
Flag
I remember some behind the scenes featurette and the crew were talking about how they consulted a scientist for the more technical lines, and took pride that it was a show about more than just relationships and back and forth between couples.
Don't get me wrong, I love the dynamic between the couples, obviously Sheldon and Amy the most, but I wonder if they even have that scientist on call anymore. There isn't a whole lot of scientist stuff anymore, and the characteristics that made these characters so unique and interesting have been dumbed down over the years, so there's not much to distinguish this show between others anymore.
I know characters have to develop and grow, and no show can continue at such a high level that this show used to be, but it's just sad that we revolve around the same issues and conversations week in week out.
Namely - Raj can't get a girlfriend. Penny wants to be an actress. Leonard puts his foot in his mouth. Howard's mom is fat.
I'll keep watching of course, but I miss the witticism (spelling??) and originality of the old days.
Flag
Are we here again? seriously? I love Penny and Leonard together, and I was happy they where well together, after all the "yes, no, now he is happy, now she is the one that is sure..." thing.I understand that in TV there must be some drama, but I´m feed up with all the series with couples being always in trouble...for once, I would like to see a normal couple...And L&P had being for all the stages of love, not love...that a couple can handle
I think it´s time they move on to a new commitment, wedding or not, but letting clear that they belong to each other... IMO
Flag
I think that what's keeping the show watchable these days is the character of Amy. She's the only one, together with Sheldon, who manages to make me laugh. Sheldon used to be my favourite, and he still is hilarious a lot, but Amy keeps being something fresh and it's incredible that despite having joined the cast much later she's one of the most developed characters of the group. Penny and Leonard are B-O-R-I-N-G, Bernardette is annoying most of the time, Howard lost his charm and Raj is embarrassing!
Flag
I agree that Amy has been a highlight - this season especially -, but I have seen Raj steal a few scenes. His search for a girlfriend has been handled poorly though.
Flag
I understand Sheldon's “I’ve never seen this show before, and now I’m starting with episode 246? It’s unnatural.”

Raj can't even talk to mannequins? WTF!
Flag
Not attractive mannequins
Flag
I loved the story about her old panties falling out of her jeans at Starbucks, and that they weren't the only pair in her pants. That was funny.
Flag
It reminded me of something that happened on The West Wing
Flag
He should have said yes and then asked her to confirm it when she was sober.

I would love to see Keith Carradine kick Mark Harmon's ass.

Penny once mentioned that the guys might like her brother as "he is kind of a chemist." Kind of like Jesse Pinkman.

The Harry met Sally reference was my best laugh of the evening, eventhough I saw it coming.

Does any one believe that the Lexie Contursi story from the vanity card (#436) is true?
Flag
She also mentioned her brother when Mary Cooper wanted to tour churches and they all prayed together. Penny said "Hey God wassup?" and if He could get her brother to stop cooking meth.
Flag
Can you see Aaron Paul popping up as Penny's brother?
Flag
That would be pretty cool.
Though I doubt it.
Flag
me too
Flag
I hate how Leonard and Penny have been together for a while now yet the problems they have always seem to revolve around the same thing, although I have to admit it was nice seeing Penny propose to Leonard and having him turn it down instead of the other way around but it's still not enough to justify seeing the same storylines over and over again with those 2. At first I didn't mind Stuart becoming more of a main character but the whole thing of him and Raj being too shy/awkward to pick up women was way to pathetic. It seems weird that both Howard and Sheldon were able to find girlfriends despite their personalities yet Raj, who has a similar personality to them, still can't find anyone even though he can now talk to women without being drunk or on some experimental drugs. I have to give Kaley props she was really good with the emotional side of the episode. Tbh I thought they'd forgotten Penny's dream of being an actress since recent seasons rarely, if ever, touch on it. As much as I love TBBT I think it is time for it to end after this season since the writers don't seem to have anything new to do with the series.
More+
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I thought they came in glass jars, not cans!
Flag
I can see it going for another season and finishing with Penny and Leonard getting married - while the quality is down, the ratings are stable
Flag
I can't disagree more. This was in my opinion probably the worst TBBT episode I have ever seen. Everything was on repeat. Sheldon not understanding human behaviour and going out of his way to adopt his version of it. Raj and stuart being gay/lonely/nerdish and off course Penny not being an actress. And she was right for once: this has been going on for years, it doesn't do justice to the show to simply hold on to that cliche of a waitress/actress. It's stupid.

So yes, penny should move on or out.
Flag
I agree that it's time for Penny to explore other employment options.
Flag
or show her at her college course
Flag
Im a big TBBT fan but i didnt find many scenes and 1 liners funny in this ep. In fact, i only smiled once or twice... weird..
Flag
"Bernie's tribute to when Harry Met Sally was.... interesting"
That was the stand-out joke in my opinion.
Flag
It was a painfull cliche you should have seen a mile coming.
Flag
I saw it a mile coming. So what? There's other ways to deliver jokes than take people by surprise. This was one example. What exactly is the cliché?
Flag
Flag
"Stuart owns a shop for God's sake" - Well, yes, but it's a comic shop, right? Not a lot of exposure to normal people there...
Flag
I don´t get it.. watching TV is for "normal people", reading books is for "normal people", but comics aren´t? Because...? What is so special about it that "normal people" don´t like it?
Flag
I'm going by the typical customers the show has in the shop, at the parties, and so on...
Flag
"I would of thought by now that he didn't have to be so brutally honest in situations like this." really?
Flag
I'm tired of Penny and Leonard's relationship.Their "problems" always seem convoluted and i hate when they are the focus of the episode.The scene with Sheldon and Leonard at the end was sweet until it was destroyed by the unnecessary joke with the "kick me" sign.
Flag
I think their problems seem convoluted because because the writers rely on the same catalysts for their situations - either Penny is dumb or Leonard is either insecure or screws up
Flag
It is time for something substantive to happen in their relationship, not just breaking up for a while.
Flag
We've not seen the ep in Australia yet, but ,from what I'm reading of people's comments, we've not missed much. Sounds as though the writers are going the route of Penny and Leonard breaking up again. Yet again. Or should that be again yet again again. Sheesh, people, shit or get off the pot. Either have them together or not together. Don't tease us for a while, then jerk our chains again. The same goes for Raj. The whole "sad and sorry Raj" story-line is just that. Sad and sorry now. Isn't it time to have Raj growing a bit? Like another comment in here said, why not have him meeting a girl at a comic-con, maybe an older woman (mid-forties, for some comedy situations that could come from the older woman thing). At least do something with him.
Flag
Flag
They just don't seem to have a plot for Raj, but still want to use him
Flag
I liked the episode,a few good laughs but I think the Raj/Stuart situation is getting sad and pathetic at this point of the series when the other guys have gone on to being in relationships with woman! They've become a one-joke duo of hopeless sad sacks,and I get it,it's a reflection of society today and nerds have a hard time picking up girls but I think watching characters being sad and whiny cause they can't find girlfriends takes away the humor of the situation,so instead of laughing WITH them,you're laughing AT them.Personally I'd have the guys find true love at a comic book convention or something and create new comedic situations from that!My friends say I'm wrong and that Raj/Stuart are perfect the way they are!But am I wrong??
Flag
Or maybe Raj can realize he's gay and they can get together at comic con.
Flag
Flag
The comic book convention would be a good idea - would give the option of an on/off relationship
Flag
I good sitcom manages, when it introduces more dramatic elements into its plots, to juggle this alongside its much more comedic aspects with finesse.

Unfortunately The Big Bang Theory has never proven to me that it is able to do this in regards to what some may consider the shows primary romantic relationship between Leonard and Penny. All of their more serious storylines involving their relationship and their future together are over-dramatized and very depressing, and it was no different in this episode. I've never liked Leonard, and one of the reasons why is because of all of the main cast he's character has changed the least. I can't really blame him for giving Penny the hard truth about her future, but then and there was not the time or place, and he could have been more delicate about it. As for Penny proposing, it was painful to watch, and while I'm glad Leonard rightfully said no, it may have been interesting had he said yes. He does want to get married, and he's passive and needy by nature, so for him to have said yes there wouldn't have been so odd, and it may have made things a little more interesting in future episodes if both him and Penny regretted their decision, instead of where this episode left us.

Sheldon's plot wasn't as good a storyline as what I'm used to from him, but Jim Parsons and his character are so brilliant I'm sure I could watch him in any situation and find it entertaining. It seems odd to me that Sheldon hasn't tried to come up with a formula for comedy before now, as well. 'I forgot to tell you the sandwich is promiscuous' was my favourite line of the night.

I agree that Raj and Stuart's storyline wasn't the best, and that they haven't been all season, but I relate to these characters so much that, as with Sheldon, I can pretty much watch them do anything and be emotionally invested in their storyline. I loved Raj's response to Howard telling him to practice talking to normal people, 'You mean like fatties and ugoes?'

I'll give a shout out to Melissa Rauch for her fake laugh at the restaurant, it was great, and I loved how it put Howard in his place.
More+
Flag
And Howards response was good too
Flag
i liked the episode until penny got drunk and proposed and i reckon by the title of the next episode she's moving back home,

imo it was an impossible situation to be in for leonard, if he had said yes she'd be happy for the moment until she sobered up and then realised how much trouble she was in, having to either change her mind and own up to him or suffer in silence and then hold it against him later on.

i feel like after the 'what if sheldon wasn't around' christmas fail episode, with the 'fat suits' this show is probably using friends as a template again. i hope penny returns/stays or leonard goes after her, ( like ross goes after rachel) .

sheldon dropping his pants was in the trailer and it was just plain wrong/lame and pathetic then..not funny at all imo..

raj and stu just seem to be going for the sympathy vote yet again and it's beyond old stale and dried out husks now..

as for amy her reactions yet again seem lame and obviously fake lacking actual acting skill.
More+
Flag
Another uneven episode which has been the norm for this season, you have to ask is Chuck Lorre actively involved in the day to day running of the show or they just showing signs of running out of steam. As I wrote previously certain storylines seemed to have been forgotten i.e Penny's education and now Raj can talk to women you think he would have smartened himself up for someone 'in touch with is feminine side' of the four male characters he certainly dresses the worst. Please no more 'on off' with Leonard and Penny.
Flag
Having Raj end up talking to a security guard was a silly way to finish that plot - they could of at least made the guard female!
Flag
just a quick note to the writer/editor of this article.... "of" is not "have" !!!!

for further embarrassment see below: (there may be more examples)

'Some of the relationship angles could of have been handled better.'
'I would of have thought by now that he didn't have to be so brutally honest...'
Flag
People make those mistakes all the time (see: accept vs except -- words that sound like the word you want). While I do not condone it, I also believe it's not necessary to point it out. Don't be the grammar police.
Flag
If no one points it out, how will they ever learn? Not correcting it will perpetuate the incorrect use, much like the term "literally", which has now had its definition changed because of the uneducated masses using it incorrectly. If you want to butcher a language, at least make up your own one first.
Flag
I almost missed the entire thursday night, I was sure yesterday was monday again.

(I only caught up with half of Elementary, so I'll have a real comment after I watch the episode)
Flag
Congratulations to Kaley Couco (I missed her wedding too)!
Flag
This was definitely another uneven episode but the parts that were on were really good. I could have done without the Raj and Stuart storyline. It felt too recycled. I thought that with Raj being able to talk to women now we'd get some more development on his part but it seems like we're just doing the same tired things again with the caveat that he MIGHT talk to someone.

I liked parts of the Sheldon storyline. That whole part where he dropped his pants was gold. But a lot of that was due to Amy's reaction.

When Howard Met Bernadette = pure gold. Like 24K gold.

I honestly know people who, no matter how hard they've tried to work on it, are just amazing at saying the wrong thing or saying something helpful but wording it in the wrong way to make it sound bad. So I guess I didn't take Leonard putting his foot in his mouth as lack of growth, just as an infallible character trait.

I completely get why Leonard hesitated to answer. Nobody wants a drunken proposal (just like no one wants a proposal during sex), and, given Penny's history, she very well could have taken in all back in the morning. That being said, I can understand Penny being upset by the rejection. But the scene with Sheldon and Leonard at the end of the episode was wonderful, even with the kick me sign.
More+
Flag
think the problem with Raj and moving him too fast. it might end up looking like Fez from That 70 Show in the last season. He pretty much look like a Playboy at the end.

Season 1 of TBBT, we did see Raj ended up in bed with a couple of women so he shouldn't be this broken.
Flag
Exactly! Alcohol has definitely been involved in those situations, but he obviously had some kind of game regardless. So to have him still be floundering around is such a head-scratcher.
Flag
If you compare Sheldon and Leonard, Sheldon has developed more, while Leonard has almost all of his bad traits from season 1 at times.
There have been moments over the last couple of seasons where the writers showed Leonard with some confidence in his relationship with Penny, but in the episodes that actually involve their relationship, they revert back to the older character traits - Leonard is insecure and puts his foot in his mouth or Penny is really dumb etc.

I get why he hesitated - but it showed the maturity that was lacking earlier in the episode
Flag
I agree that Sheldon has definitely developed more, but his bad traits still show up as well.

I guess I didn't see insecurity on his part. I think he just knew that he needed to say something, but didn't know what to say to make the situation better because he really can't relate to Penny on this one. When he's in a situation like that and can't really think about what needs to be said is when he puts his foot in the mouth the most.

But they definitely make Penny the dumb blonde when it suits them which does annoy me.
Flag
Totally agree with you about Raj and Stuart. I don't know if the recurring actors have clauses in their contracts about scenes and lines. I think we need to go back to Stuart owning the comic book store and leave it at that.

When Howard Met Bernadette. Thought of Meg Ryan right away.

Didn't laugh once during the whole Sheldon story line. It just wasn't funny.

Kaley Cuoco was the star of this episode, without a doubt. "No, Daddy, they didn't cut my scene because I'm too pretty." And yes, Penny has a brother. He was mentioned in the earlier seasons, I think.

The whole Leonard/Penny is setting up the second half of the season leading up to the finale. But I tell you, I'm concerned. This show is faltering badly. I hope it's not on its last legs.
Flag
Flag
"diddling" - hehehe....don't judge me for being childish!
Flag
He spends his days in the presence of Kaley Cuoco. Who wouldn't be diddling?
Flag
I got a couple of laughs from the Sheldon story - but it could have been better.

Raj and Stuart - I dont think its a contract thing, I think they just want to use Raj, but have no clear idea how to do so at the moment.

Leonard/Penny - agree about it setting up the next half of the season.

Looking back on this season, there has only been 1 stand out episode, and 1 very good episode - the rest have been ok, but below the standard of previous seasons.
Flag
Dude, I laughed more in the first five minutes of The Crazy Ones than during the whole episode of TBBT. I guess i'm just feeling frustrated because I could always count on the TBBT to make me laugh out loud each week. But this season has really fallen short. I hope they can right the ship.

Cheers.
Flag
TCO was funny, but The Millers scene with the mom and Will meeting Beau Bridges new friend. I was laughing so hard at that all night.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC
  •