A The Big Bang Theory Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on CBS

No, no, no, no, no, no...for me, this was the worst Big Bang I can remember.

For a while now, I have been saying they need to cut down on the amount of storylines in an episode as it tended to diminish the quality.

This episode had 3 1/2 storylines and (shocker) there was very little to laugh about.

We kick off tonight's episode with Sheldon having to take a vacation (this is the half storyline I was going on about), and he didn't know what to do with himself.

This was followed up with our big plot twist from last week - Penny and Leonards relationship woes.

Which was skipped over by Penny realizing 2 things - 1) Leonard was right to refuse her drunken proposal and 2) She had to get serious about her acting (which also meant she had to quit her job at the Cheesecake Factory).

Leonard put his foot in his mouth yet again when Penny was returning her uniform - which drew Penny and Sheldon together because he supported her, which resulted in some Yoga (because Yoga sounds like Yoda).

Near the very end of the episode Penny confronts Leonard about not supporting/trusting her - which is wrapped up in about 2 minutes (at this point I was getting angry and looking for a claw hammer to take out my frustrations on my laptop... note to self - must buy another claw hammer)

Meanwhile...

Someone at work (Bert), has a crush on Amy and tricks her into visiting a rock expo. Amy gets Raj and Howard to let him down gently, and they ended up going to the expo with Bert.

After Bernadette ruins one of Howards comic books, she goes to Stuart in the hopes of finding a replacement, and they end up having to visit another comic book store.

And then Stuart and Bernadette bonded over a mutual loathing of a rival comic book store owner. Did I miss anything?

Nope, thats pretty much it....oh, wait, he offered her some variations of coffee and baked goods....is this comedy gold? Am I missing something?

MVP - ABSOLUTELY NO ONE....NO ONE!

Lines of the night-

Amy - "So what am I supposed to do now?"
Raj - "Prepare your uterus for his gigantic offspring?"

THAT WAS IT, THAT WAS THE BEST LINE!!!

Stuff-
The comic that Bernie ruined was The Dark Knight Returns (well worth a read...I have a signed copy myself)

I really, really hope this is the low point of the season...nothing else to add right now because I am so disappointed with this episode.
76 Comments
Comments (75)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I actually didn't mind this episode, I think I might have enjoyed it more than last week's. It wasn't very laugh out loud funny, like you said, but the unusual character pairings, Amy, Howard, and Raj, and Bernedette and Stuart were different enough for me to be entertained while watching.

The only problem I find with having so many story lines in one episode is, like you said, it doesn't allow enough time to finish them properly. We're really no where closer to getting to the point of Leonard and Penny's relationship problems, and by having Bernedette return to the other comic book store the writers basically undid a great character development moment for Stuart.

And as I pretty much say about one storyline every week, I wish the idea of another man being interested in Amy would have been developed over a couple of episodes. I'd love the series to have Amy dump Sheldon after realising that another man can treat her better, and then to have him realise what he's missing and try to win her back. I also really liked Bert, I hope he comes back as a recurring character in the future.
More+
Flag
I liked most of the episode.Thought the Penny/Leonard/Sheldon stuff was the best better than the Bernadette and Amy/Burt sl.I do feel they've recycled this Sheldon on vacation sl (it was used in season five when he went toAmys lab and in season two when he got fired and made ponchos & Leonard called his mom)).I think the show should get rid of Amy,Bernadette,Stuart and make Raj less desperate/pathetic and stop with the "possible homosexual vibes"between Raj and Howard or Raj &Stuart.To those that say the show should wrap up,it ain't happening anytime soon.Its ratings are incredible,CBS is working on a three year renewal.
Flag
not the best episode I agree, And I am always surprised when you spend the 1st paragraph bashing the hell out of the show and expect us to read on..That and the fact that you are not the head of a studio because you know what we should watch....koodoos on the comic collection but between that and your picture I have to ask,,, are you old enough to watch this show
Flag
I don't like how they went back to the well of Sheldon not knowing what to do with himself on vacation. They had that a couple of seasons ago where he drove Amy nuts.

Also, like the reviewer, I felt it was a long way to go for a full-circle-journey that ended the episode just about where it ended last week... just for Leonard to have the 2 minute talk he should have had last week. They could have started the episode with that and had a real episode, hopefully about something else.

Bernadette... well I usually find her quite amusing but this episode's Bernie-story was quite lame. Sure I'm glad Stuart is interacting with people more but really... it didn't go anywhere.

Amy's story was, well, useless. Other than seeing that actor again, who I loved back on Just Shoot Me, the only thing it showed is that Amy is committed to Sheldon -- something we already knew.
Flag
I mainly remember him from The Sarah Silverman show
Flag
Well i enjoyed this episode for the sheldon lols and penny seeing some sense, but the rest was i agree awfull. predictable and not funny..

out of the blue amy has a admirer wow she says she's smart...
bert is actually a douche cos he guilt trips everyone.

why would howard leave his comic books out ?
why would bernie not put them away ?
why would bernie see said comic and just ignore it and then proceed to use the curling iron near them ?

stu's shop is bigger and less cluttered yet he still keeps it open ?

Flag
Bad? mnjaaah, not good. Yes, it had only one laugh. Yes, it is perhaps one of the most boring TBBT episodes. Still, I did not hate it. It will just be one of the many TBBT episodes that I won't rewatch. I hope they made this one, to reconcile Penny and Leonard from last weeks episode. Good. Mission acomplished. Now move on, show. More funny, please.
Flag
Sorry guys, I loughed a lot.
Dunno what the problem is. Standard BBT episode. It's not the nonplusultra of television...it never was.
It's just harmless entertaining fun.
Flag
I definitely agree. Penny leaving the Cheesecake Factory was a very big deal to me, and I applaud her for doing so and concentrating 100% on acting. Also, I laughed a lot too, especially at Sheldon's inability to take a vacation LOL!!! Leonard had me laughing too, with his "i totally support you" lines. Just good humor to me.
Flag
yep
Flag
Unfortunately I have to agree about the story lines. Sheldon's vacation woes was a cut down repeat of a story from about three years ago.

Penny realizing that Leonard was right may have been a cheap way out of the dilemma they created last week. On the other hand, I think it would have been out of character for her not to. She knew she was drunk, she knew she was a mess and she's, usually, not that dumb.

Lenny's foot in mouth disease is getting old and needs to go.

But then there's yoga. Yoga chicks don't have to be Penny to be hot. When it is Penny...

And Penny's reaction to Sheldon's 'knowledge' about yogis' ability was priceless.

If you get another claw hammer, you should probably also get an armoured laptop. :-)

Introducing Bert as a possible rival to Sheldon might be a good thing for the development of their relationship, but Bert needs to move beyond 'Rock Show'.

So, not much of an episode overall but if this, as you say, is the low point, we've still got a very good show over all.
More+
Flag
this was pretty much a throwaway episode.... :\
Flag
Well... this, in my opinion, was pretty much a clusterfuck of an episode. Honestly I had high hopes on the ramifications of Leonard's refusal to Penny's proposal (which was one of the BEST episodes this season) but instead we get... this!

Ok, I will say that it was fun watching Sheldon and Penny bond again. Their scenes together, just the two of them, are always hilarious, but this was sadly cut short by the totally pointless B and C plots.

Amy having an abhorrent admirer should be the A plot to an episode. Sheldon and Amy's relationship has really grown over the past few seasons and yet Sheldon has (depending on the episode) grown worse at socializing with others this season, so I feel the episode would've been better if SHELDON were there instead of Raj and Howard. I'd like to see two very tall and awkward nerds fight over Amy, since Sheldon has fought for his lady's honor before against Will Wheaton.

Finally, Stewart and Bernadette's C-plot... WHY??? Yes, this is the season which has paired up unlikely duos for an adventure (such as Amy and Howard bonding over Neil Diamond.) but Stewart's plots usually involve his loneliness and failed attempts at wooing women, so it made for a VERY uncomfortable plotline to have Bernie, a married woman who, up to now, has had minimal scenes together with Stewart, do a two-person scene with him and not have Stewart hit on her. Penny would have been better, since Stewart DOES have a crush on her and Penny is just as assertive as Bernie is... and Penny has used physical force against people more than once to back up her threats.

I dunno... last episode set up something so good and the writers COMPLETELY dropped the ball with too many subplots which would've been better as A plots to other episodes and put the REAL conflict on the back-burner. And the writers seemed to have used Sheldon this episode because they were obligated to. The only worse episode this season so far was "The Workplace Proximity." D-.
More+
Flag
It was an okay episode, but I agree they need to cut the storylines down. I think it's time for Raj to go. His character is beginning to be more depressing than funny.

I think, however, that the real reason why I was dissapointed in this epi, was because they hyped it up all week saying "You Won't Believe What Happens Next!". Well nothing happened in this episode that I couldn't believe.
Flag
seriously, a line wasn't Leonard knocking and Shelton saying Penny. I thought that was pretty funny.

The episode was alright. Penny and Shelton together is always nice to watch. Bernadette the last couple of episodes has been really good I thought. Telling Raj about lowering his standards from a hot girls and just trying a normal ones and also tonight's her telling off to Stuarts rival.

Everyone else was just around and Leonard being so supportive of Penny. He opens his mouth and says something and its followed by "We're still together right?" Just some really..... great stuff there.....smh
Flag
You know what, everyone. I think it's really interesting that we are having this reaction to last night's episode at the same time that the producers of Boardwalk Empire have announced that season 5 will be the series' last. I'm not sure if there are financial differences between network and cable produced series.

When I think about it, most of my favourite series had 13 episodes or less or were full seasons (at least 20 episodes) but ran for five years or less. Series like The Wire, Battlestar Galactica, Fringe and LOST meet these criteria. Maybe there's a changing of the guard in television programming and we're starting to see what can happen if you don't keep pace.
Flag
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the worst episode they've ever done. I'm guess I'm just disappointed because they built up the Penny/Leonard stuff so much in the last episode just for it to be pretty much tossed aside in a couple sentences.

I don't hate that we see Penny going all-in but they definitely could have done this a couple seasons ago.

And, no offense to Stuart, but are the guys really THAT loyal that they wouldn't go to the other comic book store?
Flag
What episode did you think was worse than this one?
Flag
Personally, I cannot stand The Jerusalem Duality.
Flag
i like this ep a lot more than last week 's
Flag
I'm not being sarcastic or mean why I ask this, but why did you like it more?
Flag
Dont worry, i didnt think you were being mean. I didnt read the whole thread and didnt know that many felt that whole season was a lackster in terms of quality until after i posted my earlier comment. Last week's ep, the jokes were not funny and i barely laugh.

However, I felt that this ep was not as bad as others say. I re-watch the ep and it still induced a smile from me in many scenes even tho i knew what was coming, like when Leonard said 'just hate me but stay with me, work for my parents' to Penny, all Sheldon's scenes, Raj delivering some of the cheekiest(most cheeky?) lines to Amy and Sheldon's injecting his inputs during Leonard and Penny's arguement.

I guess, what im trying to say is, the ep is really not as bad as it could be. It certainly wasnt the best nor was it at the top range but it wasnt as unwatchable as last week.
Flag
Like I commented last week, this slow is deteriorating exponentially. In my opinion, if they don't pull off this new career direction for Penny, this show is done. The writing on this season's episodes implies that they won't. Maybe Chuck and the gang thought they would never get seven seasons of the show and are just playing out the string. It's too bad and your comments are bang on.

if you look back in time, every one of Chuck Lorre's past comedies have imploded badly (except Two and a Half Men). Who knew that the anchor of Men would turn out to be Jon Cryer. The best example of this was Cybil when Lorre cast Christine Baranski and that just showed had bad an actress Cybil Shepherd really was. She won an Emmy but the tales of her diva behaviour on the set were legendary. Sound familiar, CS?

I would rather see The Big Bang Theory go off the air than watch more episodes like "The Occupation Recalibration". Maybe it's time to put it out of its misery.
Flag
Maybe it's time to put it out of its misery.

You said it. Overdue, imo.

As has been discussed elsewhere, Penny COULD have altered her work schedule to concentrate more on her acting. But no....................so now what? Where will she get the money to pay her rent?

By whoring out to Leonard?

And how CAN Leonard pay half of an apartment that Sheldon can't afford to pay by himself (two professionals with full time jobs) AND all the rent for Penny?

This show has truly gone to shit.
Flag
She moves in with Leonard and Sheldon
Flag
Now that would be an interesting turn of events.
Flag
"Maybe it's time to put it out of its misery" - based on the quality of most of this seasons episodes, its getting close
Flag
Sad, but true.
Flag
I don't totally agree with you (I kind of hated some of the Sheldon specific ones from this season), but this was sort of like a half assed attempt at a two parter. I almost wonder if the episode would have been nicely bottled with the last conversation where Penny and Leonard were having their what to do conversation with Sheldon (it would have been kind of an interesting Friends throw back when Chandler and Monica would reference occasionally they'd need a place for Joey) that would have been funny and the plot movement necessary and bottle the boys and Amy (which I found the actual funniest part of the episode) in the lab. I understand that they were trying to introduce Josh Peck's character and that might have been the total point of the episode (with also trying to do the pairings but leaving Leonard out as opposed to Raj) but, like, that story line wasn't super funny. Bernadette is perfectly pleasant when she is being reasonable, but, diabolical Bernadette or angry Bernadette is so much more fun. But I guess I suppose that it makes sense she can reveal that part of herself to the others much more comfortably than basically Raj's weird roommate Stuart.
More+
Flag
If they had followed up last weeks episode properly it might have been an improvement =
Leonard and Penny in a serious discussion for the majority of the episode.
Sheldon is in the apartment, forced to take holidays, and he provides the funny when they break between arguments.
Amy calls over to see Sheldon and they provide more funny by analyzing the argument going on in front of them.
And have Raj, Howard, Bernie and Stuart visit the other comic book store if they wanted
Flag
TV.com have been always against network comedies for some unspesific reason, with complaints ranging from low quality to standard story telling plots. i would like the staff of this dear website to take into account the international audience of both their site & the series we all watch every week. i live in algeria & i wake up every day at 6 AM to download the latest episodes but not before checking in here first. to my dissapointement sometimes i find no review to the new eps , though i find it avaliable in other sites"no need to mention which" but i would like from you some objectivity twoards network offerings , & stop sucking up to cable comedies like "GIRLS" & such. TBBT is the best comedy there is right now along with "Community" "Park & Reacreation", doesn't that alone say something about network comedies. in the end , thank you so much for your patients in reading this long comments, & keep up the good work.
Flag
TBBT is the best comedy there is right now

Wow. I'm so sorry for you.
Flag
I dont work for TV.com, am an international user, like network comedies, have never watched Girls (doesn't appeal to me) and have been a huge fan of TBBT.
After saying all that, I still feel this was the worst episode of TBBT, the overall quality of this season is lower to previous seasons in my opinion
Flag
Yes, this season sucks big time. The second episode, in particular, was simply abysmal.
Flag
You're quite right, of course.

Although..............I like Girls. I don't like it as much as I say I like it which I do just to annoy the people who do like it................but perhaps only women like Girls.

The early BBT were very funny. Since they decided to bastardize Sheldon's humorous asexuality (to please the morons who just HAVE to see everyone on television hooked up), it's gone progressively downhill. It now resides in the magma.
Flag
Is Girls any good though?
Flag
Boy this was one boring episode, definitely the worse this season.
Flag
I meant to say the worst of course.
Flag
And reflecting on it, after a few hours, I still can't come up with anymore contenders for line of the night
Flag
this was the worst Big Bang I can remember.

Yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, and they have been blowing goats lately. Lorre is doing an Ashton Kutcher on BBT.

This is over.

You forgot to add - hey asshat writers, you already DID a storyline with Sheldon being forced to go on vacation (at least the previous episode had a principle from his place of work and not just the incestuous unfunny ensemble) when he hysterically (it wasn't then either but it wasn't THIS bad) went to work with Amy, a character now reduced to a stupid weeping vagina.

And here I thought I'd be without a show I love to hate when Homeland went off the air.
Flag
its still not as bad as Homeland
Flag
I do like that someone else is paying attention to Amy, Leonard and Raj can be so shallow sometimes one tends to forget not all men are.
Flag
Amy has been the highlight of the season for me, so its a pity that her storyline didn't get more time - would probably have improved the episode
Flag
If it wasn't for Sheldon, Amy and Howard(sometimes), I was going to stop watching a long time ago.
Flag
No, this was not one of the best (to put it mildly). Even the audience (sometimes I think it's a laughing machine but Chuck Lorre said different in vanity card #282), wasn't laughing that much and the moment they laughed a bit longer it stood out.
Flag
i never read the vanity cards
Flag
The good thing about this episode is that it finally moved Penny from being an drifting actress wannabe. Most of the other characters have moved on in their careers so it was time to develop that part of her character.
Flag
At some point is has to be all or nothing, its the only thing that makes it worth it if Penny succeeds and the one thing she won't regreat if she doesn't.
Flag
How will she pay her rent? Rent that even Sheldon, a full time professional, can't afford by himself?

Oh yeah, it will be hilarious if she whores herself out to Leonard (sarcasm), but then how will Leonard afford his rent and hers?

Hilarious fodder for future shows (more sarcasm).
Flag
The show has lost direction in story and characters.What was once a charming and witty slice of nerd/geek culture,is now reduced to a whiny soap opera with characters I don't recognize anymore.Could anyone please tell me why Bernadette is always screaming at people on the show,it doesn't make her too likable.And Stuart is simply a sad cartoon version of a comic book nerd that we used to see back in the 1980's.Amy seems like the only character with likable charm on the show and she was only suppose to be used in only a couple of episodes at the beginning but these days,she's the saving grace on the show.In the past seasons,after watching an episode,I would call my friends on the phone and we'd talk about how funny the show was and how it reflected our own lives but those days are gone,since we don't see ourselves in these characters anymore.I'm still a fan and I'm holding on to hope that the producers can turn things around and give back our lovable nerds again,for if not,then it's time to wrap things up and it would be a shame because who knows when we'll get another sitcom about lovable comic book geeks/nerds and their comic book culture!

More+
Flag
They need something to turn this around - and i'm not talking about a wedding or a baby.
But right now i wouldn't trust the writers with a Comic Con episode - they would probably have Leonard propose to Penny and ruin it
Flag
very bad episode
best line of the night was something Sheldon said to Penny about her needing a straw referring back to the weird comment he made about yoga and drinking/absorbing (?) water through the genitals

When did Sheldon start acting like a dog?
Flag
Once before at least. I guess the idiot Lorre thinks this was a funny enough characteristic to continue. It isn't.
Flag
I just found the whole thing lazy
Flag
worse then lazy---hammer smashing crap-fest of an episode and I usually like this show.

Worst of the season and the worst or one of the worst of the series imo (I tend to block out really bad episodes so I probably forgot any horrible episodes from earlier seasons). I didn't like anything* about this episode and if they were just being lazy they could of had Sheldon carry the episode. *There were a few exchanges between Amy and Raj that were decent (she had decent retorts to him making fun of her and sheldon)

I really disliked Leonard (he's never been a favorite of mine) in this episode---previously he is so honest blunt it pisses Penny off and in this episode he wants to "lie" and say whatever will make her happy (but messes that up and tries to cover it with platitudes or insincere supportiveness just because he is scared of losing her....). I'm not saying it very clearly but the more I think about this episode the more I can understand the urge to use a hammer!

you are so right about how the writers trying to cram 3 stories/plot lines into a 20 minute (?) episode just doesn't work.
More +
Flag
Well, they could stagger a few storylines if they were talented enough. But they're not.

Other shows have done it. Remember Seinfeld?

hammer smashing crap-fest of an episode and I usually like this show.

True on your first statement, I have hated the show since Amy turned into a pussy. Sadly, the ratings are high because there are lots of stupid people out there, so this show will become the 1-1/2 Men of the next decade - and oh, 1-1/2 Men will still be on the air.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members