The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Amy and Bernadette aren't going ANYWHERE

day-O

[1]Apr 6, 2012
    • level: 18

Why doesn't anyone like change? They'd all be complaining if the show never added new characters or did anything else other than sit around and play video games. Amy and Bernie aren't going anywhere, so LIVE with it! Kthanx bye.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[2]Apr 9, 2012
    • level: 79
    I guess you're talking to someone, not sure who.

MJPollard

[3]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 5

Yaspaa wrote:
    I guess you're talking to someone, not sure who.
    Yes, he's talking to the chronic b!tchers and complainers, the ones that constantly whine that Amy and Bernadette raped their childhood ruined their favorite show, the ones that insist that the show remain stuck in time ala The Simpsons, the ones that think that the characters shouldn't have new experiences that cause them to grow and change, the vocal minority that believes (as all vocal minorities do) that they are right and that anyone who disagrees is clueless and stupid.

Hope that answers your question about who the "someone" is.

urchincorps

[4]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 2

Oddly enough, I feel like even with the addition of the two new girls the show is still very stagnant. Penny and Leonard are still on "will they wont they" mode. Howard and Bernadette have been engaged for an entire season's worth of episodes and the most that has really been done with it is some dress shopping (I think... it has been a while since I've watched old season 5 eps). Amy and Sheldon haven't even kissed as a couple, iirc. Still no love for Raj. Hell, he still can't talk to women without alcohol. Someone should probably have him go to therapy, even hypnotherapy. It can be a great go-to joke but you would think he'd have gotten some help by now.

However, I agree with OP, just not his/her wording. The show has to evolve. If it doesn't, they'll run out of nerdy references by focusing too much on that and the show will have to go bye-bye all together.

That being said, Seasons 1 and 2 were the best.

bronbrons27

[5]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 14
    urchincorps wrote:

Oddly enough, I feel like even with the addition of the two new girls the show is still very stagnant. Penny and Leonard are still on "will they wont they" mode. Howard and Bernadette have been engaged for an entire season's worth of episodes and the most that has really been done with it is some dress shopping (I think... it has been a while since I've watched old season 5 eps). Amy and Sheldon haven't even kissed as a couple, iirc. Still no love for Raj. Hell, he still can't talk to women without alcohol. Someone should probably have him go to therapy, even hypnotherapy. It can be a great go-to joke but you would think he'd have gotten some help by now.

However, I agree with OP, just not his/her wording. The show has to evolve. If it doesn't, they'll run out of nerdy references by focusing too much on that and the show will have to go bye-bye all together.

That being said, Seasons 1 and 2 were the best.

I completely agree.Things have changed since Bernadette and Amy have been on the show, but in some ways, a lot of things have stayed the same as well. I often forget that Howard and Bernadette are engaged now, because they've been engaged for so long, and I honestly do not believe they're actually going to get married. Amy/Sheldon I still love, no matter how weird they are, but the Amy/Penny girl crush is getting a little old. And Raj seriously needs to go into therapy to help deal with his woman issues. The selective mutism was hilarious at first, but it is getting a little boring now, I think.

And I agree, seasons 1 and 2 were the best. Although I really liked season 3 too, so I'd say seasons 1-3 were the best.

stevex

[6]Apr 12, 2012

MJPollard wrote:
    Yes, he's talking to the chronic b!tchers and complainers, the ones that constantly whine that Amy and Bernadette raped their childhood ruined their favorite show, the ones that insist that the show remain stuck in time ala The Simpsons, the ones that think that the characters shouldn't have new experiences that cause them to grow and change, the vocal minority that believes (as all vocal minorities do) that they are right and that anyone who disagrees is clueless and stupid.

It's not about change, it's never been about change, it's about not being good; it's about being lazy and using the same old catchphrases; it's about lack of character continuity; it's all about not being funny enough.

that70sshow2000

[7]Apr 13, 2012
    • level: 15
    stevex wrote:

MJPollard wrote:

It's not about change, it's never been about change, it's about not being good; it's about being lazy and using the same old catchphrases; it's about lack of character continuity; it's all about not being funny enough.

This is a comedy show and with that the whole point is to watch it and laugh. If you don't find it funny anymore clearly you're not laughing and therefore, why are you still watching let alone taking your time to post on a forum for a show you don't find funny?

I'm sure you have other aspects of your life that you enjoy and partake in so why do you need to do something for which you clearly do not enjoy anymore?

Go watch your season 1 and 2 bizarre over and over and pretend the show ended there.

It happens on here with every long running show. Some people start to complain it's not funny/good anymore yet you'll see them posting and complaining that they miss the early days til the series finale. Never understood it.

stevex

[8]Apr 17, 2012

that70sshow2000 wrote:
    This is a comedy show and with that the whole point is to watch it and laugh. If you don't find it funny anymore clearly you're not laughing and therefore, why are you still watching let alone taking your time to post on a forum for a show you don't find funny? I'm sure you have other aspects of your life that you enjoy and partake in so why do you need to do something for which you clearly do not enjoy anymore?

In the hope (which was beginning to get to the forlorn stage) that a show which was the funniest thing on television would recover form. Which recently it has, to some extent. And which it has in the past, after poor starts to season 2 & 3.

Edited on 04/17/2012 9:01am

Amazon_Hollow

[9]May 4, 2012
    • level: 8

They added Berbadette & Amy into the show as regular cast members as well. Because they want Penny have lady friends too and her own friends aslo. Not just only hanging around with Leonard & Sheldon and their friends with the guys all time... Penny has been the only main major female character way before Berbadette & Amy showed up. So, it was time the series not just only have Penny, as the only female character on The Big Bang Theory. So, they add Berbadette first as Penny's friend at work and then became Howard's girlfriend. And they add Amy to be Sheldon lady friend interest and then became friends with Penny. And later... Penny, Berbadette & Amy all became friends together, like Leonard & Sheldon and their friends have together.

So, Berbadette & Amy are going somewhere... They both are Penny's friends here...

JasmineHR

[10]May 26, 2012
    • level: 35
    Wow, I never knew there was so much hate toward Amy and Bernadette. I think they're a welcome addition to the show. Without them, I think by now the show would be feeling redundant.

No1Slayerette

[11]May 28, 2012
    • level: 9

I understand why they are necessary to the show, for the development and growth of the other characters, but I'm still not a huge fan of either of them. I wonder if the reason everyone dislikes them so much, is not necessarily the change they cause... but how fast they were introduced. According to Wikipedia Bernadette had nine episodes, and Amy had six episodes, guest starring in the series before they became series regulars. That is a fast amount of time for a show to introduce new characters and put them alongside main billing with the rest of the cast, especially on a sitcom based around a tight-knitgroup of friends. No writer should expect fans to have fallen in love with the characters after that amount of time. It seems the writers themselves were a bit hesitant of the change, considering the fact that Bernadette went missing with no explanation in thesecond halfof Season 3, and was then reintroduced at the beginning of Season 4, with a lame backtracking about what had happened between her and Howard.

Personally, I think they should have done something like they did with Leslie Winkle, have her around for a long time so audiences can build a relationship with the character, and then make her a regular. It's a pity the writers couldn't mind enough material for her to stay on, because she would've been more fun then either Amy or Bernadette are.

Also, I don't really see Amy and Bernadette fitting as Penny's friends. They are just not her sort of people, and while Penny seems to have the sort of disposition that allows her to be friends with anyone, it astounds me that she's always hanging out with Amy and Bernadette. Surely she has other friends, she is initially portrayed as popular, after all.

I think Big Bang had an excellent formula it's first couple of seasons, and would've been fine with the cast as they were until season four or so, but, after all it's up to the writers, and good on them for being bold and trying to mix things up.

kcs_niagara_usa

[12]Jun 13, 2012
    • level: 8

The only problem I have . . .

with Bernadette marrying Howard ( as it would be any character

to be the wife of howard) / is the few stand alone "zany" episodes

...say, when howard (with zero shot at a hot chick) would make a play..

with raj and to a degree Leonard...now that he is settled down, it

will have to be ?/Leonard, and Sheldon and/or Raj and Leonard as the wingman?

hmmm

No1Slayerette

[13]Jun 15, 2012
    • level: 9

That's why I was so surprised they introduced these female characters so early on in the series as long-term love interests. In retrospect, The Big Bang Theory hasn't done all that many episodes revolving around the guys going out and trying to date. Those they have done I found quite amusing so I too am a little disappointed that we won't get to see any more of these 'zany' attempts to get with girls.

coldfish10

[14]Dec 20, 2012

Bernie can stay but Amy they can get rid of. either that or recast her. and whether you like it or not the number of people that don't like Amy are almost equal to the people that do like her so somewhere down the line the writers will have to make changes or els the show will be cancled. DEAL WITH THAT.

coldfish10

[15]Dec 20, 2012

This show is going down the tubes. i really and truly believe the writers just don't care anymore and that they just want the show to end.

coldfish10

[16]Dec 20, 2012

I agree.

coldfish10

[17]Dec 20, 2012

Yes and like every great sitcom its time for this one to come to an end.

day-O

[18]Dec 22, 2012
    • level: 18

coldfish10 wrote:

This show is going down the tubes. i really and truly believe the writers just don't care anymore and that they just want the show to end.

Yeah and that's why the show is the number one comedy on TV and nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Comedy and is guaranteed for another season? Quit watching if you hate it so much now. And this season has been the best one since season 2 and 3 and there's many people who agree.