The Big Bang Theory Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Amy & Bernadette Shouldn't Be Main Characters

drudager

[21]Feb 11, 2012
    • level: 13
    [QUOTE="Jasmine_"]

drudager wrote:
    You say "elitist" like it's a bad thing. I'd rather be an elitist than some fringe casual fan who doesn't really care about anything.

Yeah, I say "elitist" like it's a bad thing. It's like these people don't want the characters to move on with their lives. It's like they just liked the show because there were 4 nerd guys that couldn't get girls (and they identified themselves with the characters because of that) and now that things are changing them feel kind of jealous. THOSE are the kind of selfish fans who don't really care about anything but themselves. ¬¬

[quote]

Oh brother!! Is it a crime to like a show the way it was & for it to stay that way? It's like drinking a Dr Pepper during a meal & then having a waiter come & swipe it away & replace it with a glass of Clamato juice. In this particular case, I just wanted it to be a show about four dudes in their lives, not aging in real-time & turn into whipped husbands & make babies! It's obvious we want different things out of our sitcoms. Change isn't always the tops. In fact too much change is what leads to rating downfalls and cancellation sooner rather than later.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stevex

[22]Feb 17, 2012
    • level: 6

jekyll wrote:

Do you want a show where Howard gets more and more pathetic and reliant on his mother, or one whereHoward shows he can grow a bit and settle with a nice girl, even if he's projecting the mother role on her a bit for now? Do you want a show where Sheldongets weirder and creepier until he's a near Howard Hughes, or one where Sheldon slowly adapts to having found a bit of a kindred spirit where he can explore some social normalcy while still maintaining a healthy set of phobias and irrational dislikes? If the first half of each scenario is more appealing, then Amy and Bernadetteare useless; if the second half is more appealing, then they're great additions.

It's not that the show can't change, or that other characters can't come in, it's that since they have come in the show just hasn't been funny.

When Amy was a Sheldon clone, there was some comedy in the combination (but not much), but this tiresome hero worship of Penny is pitifully unfunny. Howard has barely had a funny line since he got back together with Bernadette. Raj is in a complete dead-end - more women around means he can't talk, unless he drinks (notice he nearly always drinks beer with food now in the apartment), but he is/should be an asshole when he drinks, which leaves his character virtually nowhere to go.

The problem with the show is not that it has changed the cast, but that they've changed most of the things that made it funny in the first place. Leonerd was a girl-shy geek to start with - now he has a series of hot women falling all over him (Penny, Stephanie, Priya, comic-book girl); Howard was a hilarious & hopeless girl chaser, now he's a pussy-whipped and near-silent adjunct to Bernadette. Raj was a subsidiary member of the group, due to being unable to speak with Penny around, but when the 4 guys were together, could riff on some great discussions & arguments with the others, now he just witters on all this camp drivel. Bernadette just isn't funny - the riffing on the Mrs Wolowitz impressions worked occasionally, but has been over-used, and she has nothing else to offer. Amy is just spectacularly annoying - partly because she's just not funny, and partly because so much screen time gets devoted to her.

It's no coincidence that virtually all of this & the last series have been dreadfully poor - whether it's because the writers have nothing to say with the new female characters, whether they ran out of ideas and brought them in because they had nothing better, or whether the actresses lack humorous presence is a moot point - but it just isn't working.

Edited on 02/17/2012 4:52pm

bronbrons27

[24]Feb 18, 2012
    • level: 14
    stevex wrote:
    When Amy was a Sheldon clone, there was some comedy in the combination (but not much), but this tiresome hero worship of Penny is pitifully unfunny. Howard has barely had a funny line since he got back together with Bernadette. Raj is in a complete dead-end - more women around means he can't talk, unless he drinks (notice he nearly always drinks beer with food now in the apartment), but he is/should be an asshole when he drinks, which leaves his character virtually nowhere to go.
    The problem with the show is not that it has changed the cast, but that they've changed most of the things that made it funny in the first place. Leonerd was a girl-shy geek to start with - now he has a series of hot women falling all over him (Penny, Stephanie, Priya, comic-book girl); Howard was a hilarious & hopeless girl chaser, now he's a pussy-whipped and near-silent adjunct to Bernadette. Raj was a subsidiary member of the group, due to being unable to speak with Penny around, but when the 4 guys were together, could riff on some great discussions & arguments with the others, now he just witters on all this camp drivel. Bernadette just isn't funny - the riffing on the Mrs Wolowitz impressions worked occasionally, but has been over-used, and she has nothing else to offer. Amy is just spectacularly annoying - partly because she's just not funny, and partly because so much screen time gets devoted to her.
    I completely agree with all of this. I liked Howard and Bernadette together the first time, but Howard really just hasn't been as funny since they got back together. And Bernadette has never really been that interesting. Like you said, Raj also has less funny lines, or just lines in general because of the now bigger female cast, and Amy... meh. I find her scenes and storylines with Sheldon funny, but find her annoying when she's with Penny. And her weird girl-crush she has on Penny is just getting old.
    I still like Sheldon, Leonard and Penny... but the others, they're kind of going downhill a bit.

CindyJohnson5

[25]Feb 18, 2012
    • level: 1

I agree with Jekyll and Bronbron. I wouldn't mind the Bernadette and Amy characters so much if the story lines weren't built around them so often. I think I would like them both more if Amy didn't have the girl-crush on Penny and if Bernadette wasn't turning into Howard's mother. This show was funny and unique when it first came out. Now, not so much. Sheldon is my favorite character but, I wouldn't want the show to revolve around him all the time either. I would like to see Raj get over his problem talking to women. At least let him talk to Penny! All the characters have lovable characteristics and I would like to see more story lines exploring those. If they were to add another character I would like to see more of Sheldon's mother. Lauri Metcalf does a great job in that role but again, I wouldn't want her and Sheldon to be the main focus of the show.

Edited on 02/18/2012 8:25pm

ChibiMaddiChan

[26]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 9

I don't think the problem so much is Amy and Bernie as characters, it's how they've been incorporated into the show and how them being made main characters has almost if not completely changed the tone and dynamic of the show from how it was originally. Do shows need change? Of course: how else would a show stay interesting and fresh? But all Amy and Bernie have managed to do is change it in to yet (as said) another Friends cliche`, ruining what made the show so different and appealing to begin with. This isn't/didn't start out as some generic sitcom romcom, but it certainly has turned into one now thanks in large part to those two woman being added as mainstays. Seriously, it's getting to a point where I'm surprised to find any episode that doesn't have something to do with romance with this past season. And I'm literally shocked if romance plays no role at all, not even as the subplot.

That's just how much the show has changed in tone: it went from the hijinks and antics of a group of nerds and the hottie next door with romance while thrown in but not concentrated (depending on the main character focus of that episode) to being 99.9% about some romantic something or other with very little to do with the guys just being themselves anymore. At least with the latter season, we had Sheldon who was a strong lead but wasn't in a romantic relationship so he was our guy to 'get away' to when we got sick of Leonard/Whomever and Howard/Bernie. But then Amy started having more screentime and finally just flat out started dating him, so now those of us that just don't give a crap about who's dating who and wants to see a glimmer of what the show used to be about can't even count on Sheldon anymore. Sure there's Raj, but he's proven not to be a strong enough character on his own to actually carry much of anything by himself apparently--or they have not idea how to write for him given that whole 'can't speak around girls unless drunk, which turns him into an jerk' clause. It literally has him backed into a corner character wise.

Add to the fact that Amy is seen as highly annoying (and people were seeing her that way prior to the odd Penny worship she's developed) and Bernie is just flat out boring, it's no wonder that people tend not to like the duo and what they've essentially turned the show into. It's hilarious, because if these characters had been created for someone's TBBT fanfiction prior to their actual existence, the author would be met with a wall of flames about how one if not both of them are some form of Mary Sue. (Amy for sure.)

So no: it's not (well I won't speak for everyone) being an elitist that is afraid of change: if they had been able to incorporate both Amy and Bernie into the show without almost completely changing the genre of what the show was about, it wouldn't be so bad. It's about being annoyed that they have effectively changed the show into a tired cliche`.

Or rather, they get the blame for it: it's not the character's fault that the writers can't incorporate them into the show and still make it have the original premise. Because don't we all know: when girls are involved, it HAS to be about romance or no one would watch! Tongue out

MJPollard

[27]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 5

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I still believe that the addition of Amy and Bernadette to the show has only been a positive thing. IMHO, there's only so many jokes about physics, Star Trek, and comic books that can be done before it becomes boring and cliche; if the show had remained exactly as it was during the first two seasons, I would have quickly become bored with it. I guess I can't blame the fans who've been around since episode #1 for feeling that the show has gotten worse, but the fact remains that it's still one of the highest rated sitcoms currently on the air. What they're doing must obviously continue to resonate with the audience... and you aren't going to convince me that all (or even most) of those people are brain-dead and have no taste. Cool

drudager

[28]May 23, 2012
    • level: 13
    Like ratings were ever a true measure of quality; re Two & a Half Men & all these reality shows. I still don't like Amy or Bernadette on the show because they don't make Howard or Sheldon funnier. If anything, the show is devolving towards "Friends" and that panders more to a general audience than the true essence of what the BBT was about. I know they can only do so many episodes & have so many ideas but I wish the ride wasn't over already.

coldfish10

[29]Dec 20, 2012
    • level: 2

I agree. but i''m of the opinion that the writers just don't care anymore and want the show to get cancled.

coldfish10

[30]Dec 20, 2012

Change is good but if the changes made are dragging the show down and sucking the very life out of it then no(i'm referring to amy).

ionee24

[31]Dec 22, 2012
    • level: 32
    The way I see it, Bernadette and Amy have been Main Characters all along, only their names were Leonard and Sheldon and they used to share an apartment instead of the same social circle.

CrpnDth

[32]Feb 1, 2013

Amy is the only funny character on this show. She needs her own spinoff.

Drunken_Cowboy

[33]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 1

So many posts accusing those who don't like Amy and Bernadette of having a problem with change. Not much of an argument!! If the change is fantastic, I'd be behind it. I'd be singing from the rooftops But it's not.

Bernadette drags the show down and ruins one of the funniest characters. She's a complete pain in the backside. And Amy, she's okay for the odd joke but not as Sheldon's girlfriend? No way! They could have got him someone way better than her, she's creepy as heck. Sheldon is the star as far as I'm concerned. She's just scary.

Romano338

[34]Feb 27, 2013
    • level: 8
    Producers tried to bring new blood in the show.

I clearly prefered when they were just the 5, but Bernadette and Amy had their good moments

kiwitocome

[35]Mar 23, 2013

Amy and Bernadette are just two nails in the coffin of this show. Nowadays you can also add Lucy as the third nail.

This sudden and rapid growth of relationship focus of TBBT is eating the show's core values. What used to be nerdy and weird is now trivial and like every other relationship drama. Nobody needs another relationship focused sitcom - there were/are/will be too many!

In my opinion it is due to the growing relationship influence (thus, due to Bernadette and Amy) that this show has lost it's edge completely.

Romano338

[36]Mar 23, 2013
    You have a point.

It's true that it's not the geeky show anymore (or way less).

I loved when Penny was the friend that Leonard wanted to be with, but was not really able to ask her.
    Then, Leonard & Penny, ok
    Howard was great. Then, he is in a relationship and his funny stuffs slow down
    But Sheldon? Not a fan of him in a relationship.

kiwitocome

[37]Mar 25, 2013

Romano338 wrote:
    You have a point. It's true that it's not the geeky show anymore (or way less). I loved when Penny was the friend that Leonard wanted to be with, but was not really able to ask her. Then, Leonard & Penny, ok Howard was great. Then, he is in a relationship and his funny stuffs slow down But Sheldon? Not a fan of him in a relationship.

EXACTLY!

Sheldon is by far the most important character of TBBT. He was the incarnation of a geek who once was completely unable to handle human interaction and relationships. This condition was once the most important and most interesting factor and made the show what it was - totally different and thus interesting.

When this Amy thing came up it was funny for a short period of time and should have ended quickly - but it didn't. It turned into a never ending show killer. The relationship factor in the show thus started a deterioration process of the main characters and thus the whole show. Sheldon in a relationship just does not fit and ruins the main character.

When other girls next to Penny were installed in the main cast the whole show just lost its edge. Why should a fan of the "traditional setup" keep watching this softened version of science talk and relationships?

Who the hell needs another relationship loaded sitcom with characters struggling in their relations?

We have seen all that a million times before! TBBT thus lost its USP.

Edited on 03/25/2013 1:07am

Romano338

[38]Mar 26, 2013
    The thing I'm scared since a while is that Sheldon may be interested in sex. It may give the show an other momentum, but I don't want it

kiwitocome

[39]Apr 13, 2013

I know well what you mean.

Sheldon's loins being on fire will just kill the show. At times one has the impression that this is the final goal of the writers. The 'Big Bang' of the show would be Sheldon engaging in coitus with Amy...

TERRIBLE THOUGHT and the end of the show...

mnementh01

[40]Apr 16, 2013
    • level: 15
    Totally disagree.

Both Amy and Bernadette are super additions to the characters of the show.

Without them we would have been forced to watch the same old storylines, week after week and the show would have been dead and gone ofter the 3rd series.

Like it or not, shows have to evolve to keep viewers coming back for more and if the audience ratings are to be believed, that is exactly what the writers have achieved.

Writers 1, AMy/Bernadette haters nil.