The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Amy & Bernadette Shouldn't Be Main Characters

Romano338

[41]Apr 17, 2013
    • level: 8
    Your last sentence is so stupid.
    Don't see the point of it
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vampman87

[42]Apr 21, 2013
    • level: 4

I have no problem with Bernadette being a main character. I hated Howard's skeezy phase, but Bernadette came and Howard actually evolved into arguably the most mature of the core four nerds. He's a better person with Berny, and he knows that.

Amy is a bit more complex. I liked her initially as Sheldon's buddy, but having her evolve into a horny and extremely girly woman who has an unhealthy obsession with Penny just seems really weird. Also the fact that Sheldon ADMITTED that there is a possibility that he might have sex with her in the future really made me feel uncomfortable. I miss the restrained, spock-like Amy. Seeing Amy CONSTANTLY try to seduce Sheldon is getting annoying, even more so that it actually seems to be WORKING!

As for Priya: I never really liked her. I'm glad she's gone, but I wouldn't mind her returning to provide the kick in Penny's rear to make her propose to Leonard.

WickedNix

[43]Apr 27, 2013

Adding Melissa and Mayim was genius.

They are perfect characters to play off Sheldon and Howard. And Leonard and Raj for that matter.

Penny is a sweetheart, but you can only play the "I don't have a clue what you're talking about" card so much before it becomes boring.

Though, I can't see Howard and Bernie's marriage lasting longterm.

Edited on 04/27/2013 7:57pm

chris17blue

[44]May 7, 2013
    • level: 10

Okay, I did read most of the posts and I have to disagree with everyone saying Amy shouldn't be a part of the main cast. She is more important for the show to keep going than Leonard is. She has slowly evolved into my favorite character. Her obsession with Penny is both hilarious and a touch creepy at the same time. Anyone remember the Penny paintining? That episode was pure gold. Also, anyone remember the "Girlfriend Agreement"? No sane woman would ever sign that....the episode was fantastic. It established numerous things.

First and foremost, Amy is just as crazy as Sheldon is. They are so much alike, so it makes sense in a weird way that they would find each other. it's in our nature to seek a human companion, so it makes sense to me that Sheldon would want to be with Amy. So I think they fit together very well together. Granted, Amy is looking for a sexual relationship although Sheldon is not there yet. And the back and forth between Amy/Sheldon about anything is always funny. Their banter about how Sheldon finds every date with Amy to be tedious, and Amy's suppressed sexual feelings put a smile on my face. SmileSmile

Second, the episode brought Amy into the group. She became a part of everyone, she is friends with Penny (how sad was that she never had a best friend?) and I think she fits in pefectly because she is also a scientist like the rest. I can't imagine this show without Amy in it. It will just murder it. The only real comparison I have is "The O.C." When they killed off Marissa (the main character in the show), the show died.

As for Bernadette, I never really liked her. So I would be okay if they got rid of her in ANY way. She has never made me laugh. Her jokes are always tasteless. While the show can function on it's own without Bernadette, it can not function without Amy.

Romano338

[45]May 7, 2013
    Ok you think Amy is a very good addition, but saying that she is more important than Leonard and the show wouldn't function without, it's IMO way too far

mnementh01

[46]May 8, 2013
    • level: 14
    jekyll wrote:

drudager wrote:
    jekyll wrote:
    Go back and rewatch Will & Grace

Oh god, HELL no. What a nauseating bowl of gruel that show was. That show was a bad joke gone on WAY too long. It's kind of like mixing a bunch of soda pops into the same glass - it SEEMED like a good idea when it started, but it turns out... blech. And it was actually disappointing that Sean Hayes ended up just playing a parody of his real-life self. Just saying. I *thought* he was a good actor.

But that's exactly my point. Sean Hayes' fate can very easily be shared byJim Parsons if the show goes on long enough (and all indications are it will match, if not go beyond, W&G's run). Whoever has the quirks has to have them magnified to get the same effect, and Sheldon has quirks in spades. Now with seven stars??"three leads and four supports??"they can spread stuff around and not rely too much on any one character. They can even push Sheldon to the background once in a while as a B-plot; it's a good thing for the show overall.

Absolutely correct!

The biggest cheer of the "Proton" episode happened when Leonard went through and smacked Sheldon.

Well overdue, in my opinion,

In reality, Sheldon would need to be locked away to do his research because there would be a huge queue of people trying to kill him.

I'm truly surprised it's taken this long for someone to smack him.

Frankly he wouldn't have survived to adulthood (if you coould call what he is an "adult")

rphjose

[47]May 11, 2013
    chris17blue wrote:
    I can't imagine this show without Amy in it. >
    Have you seen the first 3 seasons?

Romano338

[48]May 12, 2013

rphjose wrote:
    chris17blue wrote:

Which were the bests

chris17blue

[49]May 12, 2013
    • level: 10

rphjose wrote:
    chris17blue wrote:
    Yes, I have. But what I meant is, I can't picture the show functioning without her in it RIGHT NOW. They were good and everything, but the show is a lot better and funnier with Amy in it. Cool

I still miss Sheldon/Penny scenes but the writers screwed up everything when they put Leonard and Penny together. So it's not Amy's fault, the writers added her in so that Sheldon will get some screen time/counter balance his crazy side (someone who understands him).

Bernadette on the other hand, brings nothing to the show.

EDIT: I'm just expressing my opinion on things, no need to crucify me.

Edited on 05/13/2013 12:58am

Yaspaa

[50]May 19, 2013
    • level: 79
    Amy and Bernie are great additions, they hold their own and are genuinely funny. When a show runs this long you have to introduce new characters or it becomes stale. Wouldn't change a thing.

maslow

[51]Aug 10, 2013
    • level: 1

I had to chime in on this issue because the derision on the issue of Amy and Bernadette is so clear to me. I understand the arguments both sides. Posters have strong personal feelings onthe ladies, because it is personal.Let me explain.I stumbled onto this show when the pilot aired. I called a few old friends after a few shows and told them they had to watch it.We loved it from the beginning, because for the first 4-5 years out of college Ilivedin an apartment complex which marketed itself to people who were professionals just starting out. It's appeal was that they had tons of social events where a young bachelor could meet a lady. You know what happened. Yup you guessed it, one good looking girl and a bunch of guys who had no friendsor family close by and whowere not, strictly speaking mainstream types.

We were all quirky and a little awkward. I mean who would rent an expensive apartment right out of college because the pretty rental consultants offered to introduce you to a femaletenant in the complex who just moved in too? Show of hands? Turns out 100s, not only college guys, but old divorced men, and old retired men. You get the idea. Well what ended up happeninganalogous to the early days on BBT. Within a month we all realized we had been had and really couldn't afford to live in this upscale place.I thought I was the only one.The club did have mixers and events. Yeah a lot of women came to the Spadescard nights at the club house. Could beverages served.Onecard night I confessedto the guys who were therethat I thought I was pretty good in sales but,the pretty blonde that showsthe apartments is the best I have ever seen. Within 2 minutes, she knewthat living herewas something I really needed in my life.She profiled my like an FBI agent, quickly learned I hadno family, or friends near and I was a littleneedy after just ending myrelationship for my career. I confessed that the funny part was she said she knew someone who had just moved in I had to meet. Just like that 3 other guys stand upand yell, "Metoo." None us of course had the guts to follow up with the offer, she knew that too.In no time 5 or 6 of us were inseparable. We all ended up rooming with the least offensive of us to save money. We even got the pretty girl to let us out of our leases to do so.

We had engineers, bankers, salespeople, and the like. The conversations and debates those guys had were the same type ofcrazy stuff we used to argue over whilejust hanging out. We had a Sheldonesk guy with (oddly enough a masters in engineering) who was incredibly intelligent and always let you know it. No matter what the debate was about he used the Sheldon go to often, ie I have a more advanced degreethan any of you and wastop of my class therefore I know the correct answer. I like the guy, just like I like Sheldon. Just like on the showmost of us had a secret desire to show him up as often as possible. The only problem was there was no internet back then, andmy roommate was banker and I salesman. Oh I would have kicked his butt on important issues such as, well most of the crazy thingswe would debatewere not important. No matter the topic his,masters always trumped my BBA.

Then one day we were sitting around the pool drinking chilled beverages and talking about how amazing it was that there were 60-70"singles" there and notone woman. Except the pretty girl, who also servedas the one they sent whenthe rent was late. Someoneleft a drink packed with ice that sitting on the hot payment.Our Sheldon said, "He better hurry back because in this heat the ice is going to melt and his drink will overflow." I corrected him that it would not that water level would drop. The debate was on. No kidding this went on for almosta half hour. We drew in the people around us to support one side or the other. I didn't take long for Sheldon to play the advanced degree card.The funny thing was that we were more or less split. I knew I was right. His supporters basically just went withbecause like Sheldon it was a real pain to disagree with him. My roommate went with me based on our "roommate" agreement. Yes we had one just not as rigid, while it soundsstrange two quirky guys living together isn't easy. The core of our agreement was that anytimeone of us thought we had a chance to proveSheldon wrong we always publicly stood together. It's funny but even the little huddle thing the guys do before giving an answer also happened. I know it's killing tonow what happened in our "evolution". Well what Sheldon didn't know was thatmy step father, the man who I grew up with has a PhD in chemistry, and my whole life growing up was spent listening to exhaustive explanations to simple questions. He actually is quite brilliant andstill holds 100 patents. So I knew I had him. Iset him up big time when he played that card and askedif he would accept my answer as accurate if a recognized expert agreed.The entire group found that logical. So he yells heyanybody here an expert in ice? My roommate ran and got a cordless phone and I put dear old Dad on the phone. We put him on speaker, and he played along. He told my friends his credentials, and to validate his expertise. I asked Sheldon to ask him some technical questions that he knew the answers toprove it. He did and Dad corrected him on the first question. A little taken aback Sheldon grudgingly agreed Dad wasthe real deal. I was right of course, and true to form Dad thought it was important for him and everyone listening in to understand whyit was right. I grabbed the phone and said yeah, yeah heard it enough as a kid. It was a triumphant moment in our BBT group. We tormented that dude relentlessly, just as they do to Sheldon when they point out the few mistakes he makes. The running joke, no matter what the issue was Sheldon pipe down or I'll call my Dad. (Physics bowl episode)

I know it's taken awhile to slow walkyou to why some of us don't want the show to evolve. It's simple. Many men relate to those early days in life when we too were single anda little awkward. It's a time many years later we look back on fondly. We all knew our group would go it's separate ways. People grow up and move on. We had one guy who always seemed to meet a girl, fall in love, disappear and then reappear when he got dumped. That reminds me of Howard, and how he has changed since Bernadette haskind of kept him from being part of the group. Remember the episode where they were going to play an online game all weekend and the only way he couldwas if she could play? She made him change capesor something tomatch her? Our friend brought his girl to our card night and it was painful. Especially when she overheard us calling her Yoko. Remember that episode with the Barenaked Ladies singing "You can be my Yoko" about Amy?

It's not that the female cast members don't addgrowth for the characters, they do. It happened to all of us one by one, we got married had kids and slowly grew apart. We know that is real life, the point is there are a lot of uslove seeing that time capsule of our lives and would never get tired of seeing the same old jokes and gags until we die. It's awful when shows start doing that. Ilose interest when they startgetting married and having kids. To be fair that may win them new fans who relate in a new way.As for my story I can tell you with absolute certainty that most women, even highly intelligent ones (I married an engineer who was number one in her class at top engineering school)would understand thejoy of spending a lot of time and effort to prove to your know it all friend that as ice melts the water level drops? Why? Because it's stupid. My wife hatedwhen I did that.

lostcause78

[52]Aug 24, 2013
    • level: 9

The OP says Amy and Bernadette shouldn't be main characters. Most of the posts here discuss their contribution entirely and derails the matter a bit.

To refer to the OP - I agree.

I think the golden middle road that all, bar the extreme few on either side of the fence, can agree on; is to have them as guest stars with focus on specific episodes now and then.

I do feel them being basically main characters, take the show away from the melancholy I seek when I tune in to watch this show now.

On the other hand, removing them entirely would take away the new flavour that I also know and feel is needed to keep the humor and stories fresh (who said it's hard to have a sitcom go on for 6+ season).

It's a tricky balancing act.

ismakun1

[53]Aug 26, 2013
    • level: 1

Bringing characters like Amy and Bernadette gave more balance to the cast. If it wasn't for the new group dynamics this show would have ended 3 seasons ago or at least become extremely dull and boring. I personally want to see more Amy and Sheldon stuff and less Bernadette and Howard. Also I started hating Raj a few seasons ago. Honestly Penny character has to drastically change to become more relevant since all characters are actually changing (maybe get a real acting job idk).

Is like the TV series Chuck. It was really good at the begining with Chuck and Sarah but after three seasons there was nothing left to tell.

So please keep "evolving" our Big Bang Theory characters (things like relationships, new jobs, etc) and keep bringing new people. Maybe take away things that are not working: Raj but don't let the series be just geek jokes (although I like them a lot). Just maintain a balance.

Big Bang Theory is my favorite comedy show ATM.

SHUCKLEMAN

[54]Oct 2, 2013
    • level: 11
    With regards to a middle ground being achieved (i.e. Bernadette and Amy being recurring characters rather than main characters), I think that was the original intention with them. But I think because their characters got so involved in the show that they ended up being in 90% of the episodes, the writers just decided to have them in the main cast. For example, I remember in Heroes, there was a recurring character in the first season who was in all but 1 episode (more than most of the main cast), and a main character who was only in about half the episodes. Sometimes writers go in with intentions of characters being in a supporting or main role, but then things pan out differently.

With regards to the characters changing, I think Bernadette will see a major change soon. I don't think many people picked up on this, but there was an episode near the end of the previous season where Howard and Bernadette basically decided that they were going to have children. I was expecting in the season premiere for us to be updated on that, but they haven't said anything about it since, but I'm sure it's not going to be long until they make her character pregnant. That will provide many potential storylines, especially with the scientific twist that the show can offer (there'll probably be an episode where Sheldon suggests donating his sperm so that they can have a "superior" child, for example).

Something that struck me with one of the recent episodes was that Amy and Bernadette had a storyline together, with none of the original 5 there. I can't remember many times seeing just the two of them interact, but it was interesting that they had a whole storyline separate from the others. Really cements them as main characters now, rather than characters to support the original 5.