The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Big Bang Theory: The Raj Disfunction

Do you want Raj to start talking to women naturally?

FX

[1]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 10

I'm tired of seeing Raj as a drunk. I know he isn't shown as a raging alcoholic or anything. The problem is that the show keeps rolling on and the rate of women in the show has increased 200%. So having Raj in different scenes then Penny was possible. Eventually drinking made it possible to make shows easier to work with for writers. And now we have far too many scenes that could involve a woman and Raj so as a result you have the whisper or the drinking. Lately the drinking has simply increased so as to get factual words out of his mouth. He does get paid to do more then pretend whisper and smile after all. I would like to see this get fixed, essentially get Raj to actually start talking together. I am sure writers can come up with things but as it is Raj seems to be a smiling drunk most of the time.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Samuel2484

[2]May 4, 2012
    • level: 16

I'd like to see Raj develop already. I think the episode where he dates a deaf woman was a really good idea but it just kinda got pushed to the side and never looked at again, I'm also fairly sure Raj is a bit of a d!ck when he can actually speak to women.

Sure it was fun for the first few Seasons but he's the character getting the least development and he's one of the 4 that started the show. Even Bernadette has had more development.

The drinking to talk to women was fun while it lasted, but I think they should work in some kind of story where Raj properly falls in love with someone and that pushes him to just talk to her without drinking, then when she screws him over, he can talk to women, this would be a slow progression to being able to casually talk to all women, but come on Big Bang Theory, give me SOME kind of "Raj IS growing" evidence.

By the way I thought the cliffhanger where he and Penny slept together was such a stupid cliffhanger it led to nothing and Raj to be a huge A hole to Leonard. The whole story and idea got brushed to the side in the reveal that it never actually happened, so really, it was just something to hook the audience to come back next season, very disappointing character throw away moment then

stylecutter

[3]May 4, 2012
    • level: 7

Nothing is going to happen to his character. He will continue to be the freaky sideshow making disgusting jokes and probably have a few one night stands. They actually had a chance to develop his character post season 4 finale even after they revealed that he didnt have sex with her(penny), but they decided to keep him as the annoying silly pervert who cant talk to women whom other characters barely tolerate.

Edited on 05/04/2012 12:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.

welnoc

[4]May 4, 2012
    • level: 9

Samuel2484 wrote:

The drinking to talk to women was fun while it lasted, but I think they should work in some kind of story where Raj properly falls in love with someone and that pushes him to just talk to her without drinking, then when she screws him over, he can talk to women, this would be a slow progression to being able to casually talk to all women, but come on Big Bang Theory, give me SOME kind of "Raj IS growing" evidence.

If Raj seriously falls in love with a woman and then gets screwed over by the woman in which he gave his trust, do you really think that he'd be able to talk to women? He's more likely to be worse and not even alcohol would loosen him up to talk to women.

As for the others showing more growth than Raj, I'd argue that Penny hasn't had much personal growth either. She's fundamentally the same person as she was at the beginning. God knows what Amy and Leonard actually see in her. Sheldon has actually regressed in many ways, he's a huge baby nowadays!

I was talking about TBBT, Raj, and his lack of development with several people just the other day and we all came to the conclusion that it's quite realistic for one of the group to be lack character development. We'd all realized that when we went back and reconnected with old friends from uni and highschool there was always one person who had remained immature and unchanged.

Having said that, I would still like to see Raj get over his difficulties with women; it's getting tiresome.

bronbrons27

[5]May 7, 2012
    • level: 14

^^ Yeah I agree as well. Raj hasn't really had any character development since the beginning, but like you said, I don't think that Penny has really either, she's still basically the same as she was in season 1 (not that I'm complaining, I do like Penny).

Like you said, it is kinda realistic to have at least one character that doesn't change so much though... For example, on "Friends", I really don't think Joey changed all that much in the 10 years...except maybe for a while when he was in love with Rachel (which was a stupid storyline in my opinion anyways) but after that, he pretty much went back to regular Joey.

Sheldon... he's changed a bit as well. But I wouldn't necessarily call it character growth. I agree, he is a bit of a baby sometimes now. I much preferred him in seasons 1-3, but I still love him now.

I think we can definitely agree that Howard and Leonard have had the most character development since the beginning (And Amy has also had quite a bit since she started)...

And yeah, Raj seriously needs to go see a therapist or something about the woman issues, it's getting tiresome and he has way less storylines, or even lines in general, now that there are more females in the cast.

Edited on 05/07/2012 5:39pm

phonzee101

[6]May 13, 2012
    • level: 13

I agree with the above comments on how Raj had had the least character development, but Selective Mutism (the anxiety disorder he has) takes a very long time to get over at someone his age.

So if they do a story line like this itprobablywill take 2 to 3 seasons.

Edited on 05/13/2012 12:15pm

rphjose

[7]May 19, 2012
    • level: 4
    Yes, but they could say that he has been in treatment for a long time, it would also be realistic that he were, he's always complaining about how he can't get a girlfriend.

phonzee101

[8]May 21, 2012
    • level: 13
    rphjose wrote:
    Yes, but they could say that he has been in treatment for a long time, it would also be realistic that he were, he's always complaining about how he can't get a girlfriend.
    That never crossed my mind.