The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

End Credit Vanity Cards

jekyll

[1]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 86

For anyone interested who may not know there's a way to read Chuck Lorre's vanity cards without either recording and pausing or having the ability to read 200 words in a half-second, he's got them all on his production company's website. The episode guide will have Notes about which card goes with which episode.

http://www.chucklorre.com/

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Stefan1970

[2]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 17

Excellent. Thanks for posting the link. I was just about to do a search to see if these were posted somewhere.

Cheers!

MaStAViC

[3]May 13, 2008
    • level: 6
    I am so confused. What are vanity cards? I did find out that Lorre is "a writer, director, producer and composer who has worked on many American sitcoms, including Roseanne, Dharma & Greg, Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory."
    Edited on 05/13/2008 4:52am
    Edited 2 total times.

Herodite777

[4]May 14, 2008
    • level: 8
    The text that appears at the end of each episode.

nknh

[5]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 21
    But what is the purpose of these texts?

realjamesdean

[6]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 5
    Not sure of the purpose, but they're hilarious. I didn't even notice them until a few episodes back when I saw something about George Lucas after the credits. Luckily I was at a friend's who has a DVR, so we rewound and paused. So glad I was able to go back and read the rest. Hilarious.

HRGirl

[7]Dec 11, 2008
    • level: 9
    I definitely enjoy them regardless of the purpose!

meateater79

[8]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 7
    Thanks. Always wanted to know what he says after the episodes. The jab at George Lucas and the new Indiana Jones is hilarious.

Myschly

[9]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 9
    realjamesdean wrote:
    Not sure of the purpose, but they're hilarious. I didn't even notice them until a few episodes back when I saw something about George Lucas after the credits.
    Same here. That vanity card was definitely the best ^^

birder-3

[10]May 11, 2009
    • level: 6

They don't really serve any purpose. They are just a production logo, like 'Bad Robot', or 'Where's Lunch'.

But, I have read a few of them, and they are funny!

There are a few on the list that were censored, and had to be re-written. They are marked with a (c).

guytwo

[11]Dec 12, 2009
    Sometimes when you read the censored cards you realize just how dumb and ridiculous censorship can be.

tjaman

[12]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 32
    I love those cards! Thanks for the link!

historylover20

[13]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 28

nknh wrote:
    But what is the purpose of these texts?

There really is no purpose other than, as mentioned earlier, they are the production company's logo. However, unlike most logos, these are meant for the audience to enjoy--if they can read them fast enough. They are humorous sayings or rants. Sometimes they will be anecdotes about the show.

Kat

iva1988

[14]Dec 20, 2010
    For me, this is the best card, hands down:

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #309

Following Kaley Cuoco's horseback riding injury, I've instituted new rules governing acceptable leisure activities for the cast of The Big Bang Theory. 1. No friggin' horses. This includes those found on merry-go-rounds and in front of supermarkets. 2. The only motorcycle you can get on is the one you're accidentally crushing in your big-ass, air-bagged SUV. 3. All cast member motor vehicles must adhere to U.S. Army guidelines for attacking Kandahar. (Galecki's Tesla is a terrifically fuel efficient vehicle but is essentially a hundred thousand dollar go-cart. From now on it is only to be used for backing down his driveway and retrieving mail.) 4. The only permissible boating activity at Comic-Con is in your hotel room bathtub. 5. Alcohol should only be ingested at home, and while seated in a big comfy chair. Wild and carefree dancing that celebrates your incredible and well-deserved success is only allowed on New Year's Eve, and only with a sober celebrity parasitic flunky to lean on. 6. And finally, sexual acts must be performed while horizontal. Certain high-risk Kama Sutra positions might be allowed, but only after consultation with Chuck Lorre. Like with dancing, a spotter might be required.

IAmsterdam

[15]Dec 31, 2010

My take on the vanity cards is that though sometimes ther are OK, they are, too often, ramblings of a selfabsorved personality. It's good that they are kept to a minimum on the screen.

It was very revealing when I read that Lorre was a changed name, who does this?!? Except "Victor Hitler or someone like that [remember the narcoleptic comedian from Hill Street Blues?!?]. Or if you are adopted and want to honor your benefactor.

It just shows that crazy people can be very creative aswell eh!Wink

This is just my opinio, I still like that shows he writes/produces.

historylover20

[16]Jan 1, 2011
    • level: 28

Now, I don't know if this is the reason for him changing his name, but I know for ACTORS, if there is someone with your name already listed in the equity, you have to come up with an alternate name. So, it's forced changing. Sometimes an actor will use their middle name (Neil Patrick Harris), sometimes they will come up with a fake middle initial (Michael J. Fox's real middle name is "Andrew." He had to either put an initial or change his name completely. And he didn't want "Michael A. Fox," due to the connotations.) Often, they will completely change their last name professionally (David Tennant's real last name is McDonald. He had to change it because there is already a David McDonald listed in the actor's equity.)

Earlier in the 20th century, there were other reasons to change names, usually brought about by studios. John Wayne's real names was Marion Morrison. Marilyn Monroe's real name was Norma Jean Baker. Names were changed for being too "ethnic" or if you were not American-born, changed for not being "American" enough (Cary Grant's real name was Archibald Leech.)

So, it's not entirely a matter of "Why don't you keep your real name?" A lot of times, they don't have a choice.

Now, I don't know if this is the same thing for writers/producers. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another producer with his real name on the equity prior to him, so he had to change his name professionally.

Kat

IAmsterdam

[17]Jan 1, 2011
    Well that might very well be for stars. They absolutely must be distinctive form other stars, but I don't think that this goes for writers.
    Further, as I saw in wikepedia, he changed it because of some family fight. And to put this kind of thing into the public like this denotes lowered class and also narcisism. Legaly changing your name and hiring a publicist to make it known goes farther than just getting pissed off and doing it...

But again, as I stated earlier, I do like his work and the writing in TBBT is more than outstanding, I am also a fan of Dharma & Greg, Roseanne and Two and a Half Men, so what the hell.

machloop

[18]Jan 13, 2011

I too like the show but the cards I can do without thanks!Wink

ZmaXcharmvill3

[19]Jan 20, 2011
    • level: 5

IAmsterdam wrote:

My take on the vanity cards is that though sometimes ther are OK, they are, too often, ramblings of a selfabsorved personality. It's good that they are kept to a minimum on the screen.

It was very revealing when I read that Lorre was a changed name, who does this?!? Except "Victor Hitler or someone like that [remember the narcoleptic comedian from Hill Street Blues?!?]. Or if you are adopted and want to honor your benefactor.

It just shows that crazy people can be very creative aswell eh!Wink

This is just my opinio, I still like that shows he writes/produces.

actually one if his vanity cards explains why he changed his name lol, so it's like he's answering your question lol

CHUCK LEVINE PRODUCTIONS, #119

Let me explain. I was born Charles Michael Levine and went by the name Chuck Levine until I was twenty-six years old. The reason I changed my name was simple. My mother, never a fan of my father's family, had an unfortunate habit of using Levine as a stinging insult. When displeased with me, she would often say/shriek, "You know what you are? You're a Levine! A no good, rotten Levine!" So, for as far back as I can remember, every time I heard my last name I would experience acute feelings of low self-esteem. Whenever roll was called in school I would sit in quiet dread as the teacher ticked off the L's: "Labianca, Lepkowitz... Levine -- Arghhh!" My first wife was the one who suggested I change my name to remedy the situation. In fact, it was she who came up with the name Lorre, complete with the fancy spelling. I thought it sounded great. Chuck Lorre. Charles Michael Lorre. Finally a name that did not make me squirm. It didn't occur to me that in England my new name translated into Chuck Truck. Nor did I realize that the famous actor, Peter Lorre, was mostly famous for playing smarmy, closeted gay guys (not that there's anything wrong with it). But most interestingly, I had completely forgotten that when I was around eight years old my father's business began to fail, forcing my mother to find work in a clothing store called... Lorie's. Pretty creepy, huh? Did I abandon my father's name only to unconsciously name myself after a place associated with my mother's abandonment of me? Or, even creepier, did my ex-wife somehow know all this and propose the name Lorre just to screw with me. Hmmm... I was a no good, rotten husband so I certainly had it coming.

IAmsterdam

[20]Mar 1, 2011
    Yes I know!
    And frankly that's what's wrong with it all. These are the ramblings of people like Woody Allen; and this guy does not have the stature of a Woody Allen!!!

And by the way, "Lorre" is a name for a pet! Here is Holland, Belgium, France, Spain and Germany Lorre is a common name they give to parrots. So, good choice I guess...