The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Guys: Would you prefer a Penny or a Priya?

romeovf

[1]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 3

So, my wife thinks that while Penny is very street-smart, loving as a person and seems to get along with all the guys (plus she's gorgeous), the facts that 1-she didn't study past high school and 2-She pretty much will be tied to her waitress job for years to come, make her not a first choice for a life partner.

However I pointed out that although Priya (while she's also beautiful) has a career, a stable job and I suppose earns good money out of it, she seems to be a little boring. It's been said on the show that she's great at sex (which I suppose is a tie between her and Penny) and that she encourages Leonard to do fun stuff like going to the beach to do some skating. But still, she seems a little "stiff" to me and also doesn't seem to tolerate much of Leonard & friends' geeky ways.

So that's the question: Would you prefer a more relaxed and understanding girl, but with a pretty big chance at being a waitress forever; or would you prefer a career woman, who is very loving but less understanding and a little more uptight?

Or maybe both, a Penny for just-girlfriend stuff and later a Priya for a life partner?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

IAmsterdam

[2]Apr 15, 2011
    • level: 7

The answer is give me Penny.

See, with her it's "WYSIWYG". Yes, she might seem to be tied in at waitressing for a living all her life. But that's maybe just because she needs to pay the bills! Maybe as this ends to be a factor she actually can explore different venues and succeed! Further she is loving, fun understanding and does a lot for Leonard's self esteem.

On the other hand Priya is less of a catch: passive agressive, b*i*t*c*h*y [Come-on, telling Leonard to stop being friends with Penny?! WTF!?]; also to her brother, which is deffinitly not-done in her culture. So, expect troubles of this in the future specially when her parents find out about her having a full blown sexual relationship out of wedlock with a 'white devil', an indian chick of a higher cast?, Leonard will be left alone and broken when this happens. Further she is not that pretty, I'd prefer the actress from Outsourced [Rebecca Hazlewood].

I could go and on and on...

You know what would be a nice idea to test this out? An earthquake and both Leonard's and Penny's reaction is to rescue each other, that would be OK.

BazFowler

[3]Apr 16, 2011
    • level: 1
    Both, a Priya for hot stuff and later a Penny for a wife!

Priya is definitely an over critical and controlling character, been there done that and wouldn't go there again. Penny is very caring, but sexy too.

kanak1309

[4]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 4
    Penny is best for both. She is sweet and is always there when you need her.

heytiger93

[5]Apr 21, 2011
    • level: 9
    I'm a girl, straight one at that, but definitely Penny, she's so adorable and has the best personality.

JhannGunnarss

[6]Apr 22, 2011
    I want Amy.

Igarka

[7]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 12
    Penny! No contest.

antdude

[8]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 27
    All of the women.

TvFreak7

[9]May 3, 2011
    • level: 26

PENNY! for sure!!!! I love Penny and I love Kaley Cuoco!

But anyways, I would never not prefer someone just because they're a waitress.

seb1925

[10]May 16, 2011
    • level: 6

Physically, I'd pick Priya (although they're both gorgeous). But when it comes to personality, the thing that annoys the hell out of me is that Priya sort of forbade Leonard to even spend time with Penny... something I suppose Penny would never have a problem with and why should we? I have absolutely no problem with my girlfriend being friends with her ex-boyfriend as he's her EX-boyfriend.

AkshayMohan

[11]May 17, 2011

Really?is this even a question? Cmon man. Penny wins with hands down. Its like, Sheldon would say, the difference b/w Wolowitz's masters degree and Sheldor the Conqueror's Phd.

fanofcastle

[12]May 17, 2011
    Penny. I hate lawyers.
    But I don't think it's NOT unreasonable for someone to ask their girlfriend/boyfriend not to hang out with their ex. I wouldn't want my girlfriend to hang out/be friend with her ex.

kanniballl

[13]May 18, 2011
    • level: 18

As to who I prefer, I like them both. They're two different personality types: one's a free spirit while the other is more serious and career-oriented. Gun to my head, I'd say Penny if only because she was there first and Priya has more negative baggage (best friend's sister, parents probably oppose the idea, etc).

I don't understand why everyone things Priya is a *itch.

Most girl-friends aren't exactly thrilled if their boyfriend is spending time with their old girlfriend. It's one thing to say hi over drinks, it's another if they spend a lot of time together. Especially if the boyfriend was really into the girl. Turning the tables around, I doubt any of the guys here would be thrilled if their girlfriend was hanging out with an ex that obviously still had a thing for her.

Her legal battle with Sheldon wasn't too bad: Sheldon was trying to use contracts / laws / clauses / logic against her boyfriend. She decided to turn the tables on him with those EXACT weapons using her skills... which happens to be acting like a serious lawyer.

Meanwhile she's an new member to the group, watching it through relatively normal eyes for the first time. Face it, that's a strange group. You can't help but say something in that situation.

And lastly, as much as I love the rest of the female cast on the show... they're acting a little catty but having segments of their evening devoted to bad-mouthing her.

The only negative in my book is that she doesn't want him to meet her family, but that's only partially her fault. If they are against the idea, then it takes time to gather up the courage to tell them to "deal with it." Meanwhile you have to be sure that person is the one before you make that step.

Meanwhile, I feel bad for Raj. It's probably not the most comfortable thought that your pal is with your sister.

Kleinke

[14]May 18, 2011
    • level: 12
    Penny. Without a doubt.

kanniballl

[15]May 20, 2011
    • level: 18

Kleinke wrote:
    Penny. Without a doubt.

Well after the reveal in last night's episode (19-May-2011) I definitely have to go with Penny. Unless there's a lot to explain (like Priya hadn't made a final decision) then that was a crud thing to do. Meanwhile Penny's reveal to Raj was nice too, at least she can admit it.

Maximum_Taco

[16]May 21, 2011
    • level: 13

Honestly neither,

Priya is way too controlling, I couldn't handle a girl like that who's always trying to change me. Now part of that may be Leonard's ridiculously weak will and his willingness to conform for any girl willing to sleep with him, but she still seems to impose a lot of stuff on him, specifically the "you can't be friends with penny" but also other things.

Penny on the other hand is just not book smart enough for me. She's a sweet girl and I wouldn't mind hanging out with her a party or being her friend, but for a girlfriend/wife I need someone who could keep up with me intellectually, and Penny is not that girl. Really an 8th grader should be able to understand F=mg. And anyone should be able to intuit the answer to "People learn at different rates, unlike objects falling in a vacuum which..." If I was with Penny I feel like my face would spend a LOT of time in my palm, and we'd subsequently fight A LOT.

Out of all the girls on the show, I'd want to be with Bernadette, she's smart, fun, and accepts Howard exactly as he is. She's perfect.

cliffsanford

[17]May 22, 2011

Priya. The only problem with her is the overbearing parents. If you can get past that, and that's a big if, you got a great catch. Sure she's a little stiff but she's a big-time lawyer it's not like she's like that for no reason and she doesn't take it overboard. I don't know too many women who would be okay with their boyfriend hanging out with their ex all the time. IMO she's got Penny beat in the looks department. She's smarter and more accomplished. And most importantly she accepts and appreciates Leonard for who he is and she did it from jump rather than keeping him in the friend zone for two years. What category does Penny win exactly?

ultimateTVfan

[18]May 23, 2011

Like most people apparently I would also go for Penny. They're both hot so this decision has got nothing to do with looks. I just don't like Priya's personality very much. I couldn't stand a girlfriend that tells me who I can/can't hang out with, tries to change me, keeps secrets from me, is to ashamed of me to tell her parents, I could go on but I think I've made my point. We've seen a lot of bad sides of Priya's personality whereas Penny seems to be kind, joyful, caring and just fun to be around. So what if she doesn't have a big career, that doesn't change the fact that she seems like a lovely person.

So definitely Penny!

gmx13

[19]May 25, 2011
    • level: 7

Even before hooking up with Raj, Penny had been around the block and back again. She's the type of girl that you hook up with in between real girlfriend material. However, looks and personality-wise Penny has Priya beat.

Edited on 05/25/2011 7:03pm