The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Howard's Mother - Mrs Wolowicz

brunabear

[1]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 37
    I was talking with family members over the holidays about this show, and the topic of Howard's mother came up. Everyone insisted that we've never seen Howard's mother, that she's only heard as an off-screen voice. I said we have seen her, but of course, I couldn't say what episode. In thinking about it later on, I remembered what I think is a Valentine's episode, where Howard's mother is trying to kiss Raj and Leonard.

Am I right? I think I am, and I think she's been seen more than that once. Can anyone tell me the names of episodes she's been seen in? Please help!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bennett10

[2]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 4

I believe that that is Sheldon's mother who tries to kiss Leonard and Raj.

I don't think we have ever seen Howard's mother, but I could be wrong.

RebeccaHanelt

[3]Jan 3, 2012
    • level: 8

No, we have never seen Mrs Wolowitz on the series. She is always off-screen for any scene she is in.

jekyll

[4]Jan 4, 2012
    • level: 86

You've seen the actress in other shows (most notably, she's the unemployment lady's daughter that George Costanza takes on a few dates in the two-part Keith Hernandez Seinfeld), but only heard her voice on BBT.

antdude

[5]Jan 12, 2012
    • level: 27
    I wonder if we ever see her in person ever? Maybe in the series finale?

MJPollard

[6]Jan 12, 2012
    • level: 5

antdude wrote:

Personally, I hope we never do. I prefer that what she looks like remain a mystery, ala Maris on Frasier and Vera Peterson on Cheers. That way, we can use our own imaginations. More fun that way. Smile

neo979

[7]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 6

The producers have stated that Carol Ann Susi will never appear on screen, although they might make an exception for the series finale.

It is easy to find pictures of her online, such as:

Carol Ann Susi

What I would like to know is, is she present for the live tapings, or are her lines recorded separately?

Edited on 01/19/2012 8:35pm
    Edited 3 total times.

antdude

[8]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 27
    neo979 wrote:

The producers have stated that Carol Ann Susi will never appear on screen, although they might make an exception for the series finale.

It is easy to find pictures of her online, such as:

Carol Ann Susi

What I would like to know is, is she present for the live tapings, or are her lines recorded separately?

Only the audiences who were there would know?

neo979

[9]Jan 19, 2012

antdude wrote:

Only the audiences who were there would know?

True, but that must be thousands of people who know the answer. Any chance one of them is reading this? Laughing

Edited on 01/19/2012 9:02pm

drudager

[10]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 13
    MJPollard wrote:

antdude wrote:

Personally, I hope we never do. I prefer that what she looks like remain a mystery, ala Maris on Frasier and Vera Peterson on Cheers. That way, we can use our own imaginations. More fun that way. Smile

They kinda ruined the fun with hiring an actress who's been on camera in a very popular series & has a very distinctive voice. They could have hired a random unknown actress and it would have made a better mystery. As I recall on "Cheers", they did show Vera while they were at Carla's house, but she had a whipped cream pie stuck to her face

neo979

[11]Jan 20, 2012
    I wasn't sure if I should post a picture because I didn't want to "ruin" it for anyone. But in the "Internet age," pretty much the only way to keep a secret like that would be to poke your eyes out!

Also, for some reason, a small group of people keep insisting that Melissa Rauch does a dual role as the voice of Mrs. Wolowitz. I have no idea why they think that, but posting the picture seems to be the easiest way to debunk this rumor.

MJPollard

[12]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 5

neo979 wrote:
    Also, for some reason, a small group of people keep insisting that Melissa Rauch does a dual role as the voice of Mrs. Wolowitz. I have no idea why they think that, but posting the picture seems to be the easiest way to debunk this rumor.

Probably because Melissa does such a spot-on impersonation of her. If Ms. Susi is ever unable to continue in the role, Melissa could easily stand in and probably few people would know the difference, unless you're like those of us who are obsessed with the show.

Fekul_the_Baby

[13]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 15
    It's just as well we don't see her. She's described as having excess facial hair and is so large one of her bathing suits contains enough fabric for two outfits and about a dozen napkins.

neo979

[14]Jan 21, 2012

Fekul_the_Baby wrote:
    It's just as well we don't see her. She's described as having excess facial hair and is so large one of her bathing suits contains enough fabric for two outfits and about a dozen napkins.

Right, it's like Maris on Frasier - at one point, they were considering revealing her, but no actress could possibly live up to the descriptions they had given.

And yes, Melissa Rauch's impersonation of Carol Ann Susi is quite impressive, but I don't think I would go so far as to say it is indistinguishable from the original. The rumor also sort of ignores the fact that Carol has been with the show MUCH longer than Melissa has.

I even heard one person say they thought the voice was June Gable (Estelle from Friends) - in my opinion, they barely sound similar at all.

hell693

[15]Jan 22, 2012
    • level: 11
    brunabear wrote:
    I was talking with family members over the holidays about this show, and the topic of Howard's mother came up. Everyone insisted that we've never seen Howard's mother, that she's only heard as an off-screen voice. I said we have seen her, but of course, I couldn't say what episode. In thinking about it later on, I remembered what I think is a Valentine's episode, where Howard's mother is trying to kiss Raj and Leonard.

Am I right? I think I am, and I think she's been seen more than that once. Can anyone tell me the names of episodes she's been seen in? Please help!

I dont know which episode you are talking about because we havent seen Howard's mother in the show till now and i dont know if we will ever see her but she is funny.

neo979

[16]Feb 3, 2012

drudager wrote:
    They kinda ruined the fun with hiring an actress who's been on camera in a very popular series & has a very distinctive voice.

Not to mention she's listed in the credits! Cool

PrinceBlack

[17]Feb 5, 2012
    • level: 3

i have watched all the season's five times.. they never showedMrs Wolowitz... only her voice is heared.

jekyll

[18]Feb 11, 2012
    • level: 86

neo979 wrote:

drudager wrote:
    They kinda ruined the fun with hiring an actress who's been on camera in a very popular series & has a very distinctive voice.

But you're thinking it terms of us people at TV.com who are more than your average television fan. If you made a Venn diagram with circles representing people who identify as big Seinfeld fans and people who identify as big BBT fans, the overlap of people who know the connection would probably be extremely small.

drudager

[19]Feb 11, 2012
    • level: 13
    jekyll wrote:

neo979 wrote:

drudager wrote:

But you're thinking it terms of us people at TV.com who are more than your average television fan. If you made a Venn diagram with circles representing people who identify as big Seinfeld fans and people who identify as big BBT fans, the overlap of people who know the connection would probably be extremely small.

Well to be fair, Seinfeld has been on for 20+ years & syndication for about 14 & as far as I know, has been on daily continuously since then, and it is a very popular & great show, and a lot of what I like about Seinfeld is in the BBT. Plus Carol Ann Susi has been on dozens of shows in her career. Hmm.. she was on "Blossom" once too.

neo979

[20]Feb 13, 2012
    I can't edit old posts. If there is some moderator who is really bothered by the picture I posted, feel free to remove it. Personally, I don't know if there is any "surprise" to ruin, because as we have established, even though Carol Ann Susi is the voice of Mrs. Wolowitz, the actual Mrs. Wolowitz would look nothing like Carol Ann Susi.

Just because you voice a character doesn't automatically mean the character also looks like you. Lightning McQueen doesn't look much like Owen Wilson, and Darth Maul doesn't look like Peter Serafinowicz.