The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

If Sheldon and Leonard Are So Smart, Why Can't They Fix The Elevator In The Hall

JaneKnight

[1]Sep 27, 2013
    • level: 7

This question should probably be answered in the series finale, which would be a parody of the 1960 Warner Brothers cartoon short "Wild Wild World", in which the show would end with the cast descending in the lift, which crashes to the ground when a giant pair of scissors cuts the cables atop the car, just as it happened at the end of the vintage cartoon with the signature Maxwell House tag line "Good to the last drop".

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CitizenCritic

[2]Oct 1, 2013
    • level: 2

I also wonder why the TBBT show writers don't use the elevator in the skits. I see the elevator as a prop

that has great comedic potential.

Example:

Penny, Bernadette and Amy are talking about their men as they enter the elevator.

Penny presses the 1st floor button, the door closes but the elevator doesn't move, the overhead lights shut off and the door won't open.

They panic and start yelling in the dark hoping the guys will hear the noise and get them out.

Sheldon hears Amy's voice but wonders if it's someone else playing a trick.

He asks her questions through the door that she should be able to know but she keeps giving him the wrong answer.

Howard hears Bernadette crying and tries to calm her down. He has her go through a checklist (e.g. "are all the button lights burned out,

can you hear a scratching noise like a rodent, do you smell anything burning", etc.) to try and solve the problem

but that just raises her anxiety level even higher.

Penny tells Leonard to call the building super but egos get in the way of common sense and Leonard tells Penny the three of them

will figure out how to get the girls out. The guys try more complicated solutions but of course, none of them work.

Finally Raj comes upstairs the same time as the elevator door opens and the overhead light turns on.

Raj tells them he saw the building super fiddling with the circuit breaker box and accidentally shut off the power to the elevator.

Penny says, "So two physicists and an engineer couldn't manage to do the simplest thing like turn on a switch."

Amy says, "Yeah Sheldon, what was with all the dumb questions, you couldn't tell it was me?"

Bernadette says, "Howie, never, ever mention the word 'rodent' again!"

Marshalleetime

[3]Oct 4, 2013
    • level: 1

I kind of started to wonder this myself. Not to mention the jewish guys(holowitz?) Sorry I dont know how to spell his name job SOMEBODY should be able to fix it. Also if it was already reported that the elevator was broken why has the hotel not sent anyone to fix it? Maybe they did this they wanted the characters to use the steps all the time.

chrelle66

[4]Oct 4, 2013
    • level: 5

Because then we couldn't watch Penny's ass walking up the stairs. Innocent

indytd

[5]Dec 29, 2013
    • level: 1

The conversations would have to always take place in the elevator, by the mailboxes or at their apt doorways.

Also, for certain apartment elevators getting the correct motor parts, finding a repairman who will replace them for a fair price and scheduling to be at the apartment when the repairman can show up is not an easy task. Try talking to the Otis Elevator Company sometime on the phone.

Romano338

[6]Dec 29, 2013
    • level: 8

chrelle66 wrote:

Because then we couldn't watch Penny's ass walking up the stairs. Innocent

I'll take that answer without even asking for anything else

skbrettbug

[7]Jan 5, 2014
    • level: 19
    It seems to be one of those unknowns that every show has

MsOrange1

[8]Jan 28, 2014
    • level: 7

Leonerd is probably too afraid.