The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Is it just me who thinks the show has lost it?

Samuel2484

[1]Oct 21, 2011
    • level: 16

I don't judge anyonewho still loves the show. But does anyone like myself think the show has just become boring now? It never makes me laugh outloud anymore and I think the stories are really weak these days? It feels like they're trying to drag the show on. The characters are fine I guess, though Raj p!sses me off now, I used to like him but these days he's just the same old character who is just sad and I no longer root for him, plus there's no character developement. Also they resolved the Penny/Raj sleeping together thing in one episode JUST LIKE THAT?! Itseemed like the only reason they put that cliffhanger in the end of season 4 was because theyjust needed a cliffhanger.

I don't mind if anyone dissagrees in fact I welcome people who wanna tell me what they like about it, but is there anyone else who agrees with me that it's just not the same as it used be?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Crazy-for-TV

[2]Oct 21, 2011
    • level: 4

Seasons one and two were pretty much the same, which was fine, because a new show needs to establish itself. Season three saw the exploration of Penny and Leonard's romance, while season four saw the aftermath of their messy breakup and the introduction of Priya, who started the Penny-Leonard-Priya love triangle.

What I'm trying to get at is that the series has progressed like it should, in my opinion. This fifth season has churned out so many good episodes, but Big Bang has always been known for that! I, in no way, think the show has "lost it," but rather, it has evolved, like any classic sitcom should.

rphjose

[3]Oct 21, 2011
    I also think the show has "lost it" (at least for me) since last season. At first I thought the problem was Priya, but she's gone now and the show still doesn't make me laugh that much like the first seasons did.

hell693

[4]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 11
    this show hasnt lost it it is getting funnier now and it still is good and has great storylines.

mindshifthigher

[5]Oct 22, 2011

The show has not lost IT. The show is evolving, though. People don't radically change, but the dynamics between people change. For instance, you are having a conversation with two friends, and another friend joins the conversation. The conversation will have a different dynamic with the new person. That is what is happening with The Big Bang Theory. Thereis still plenty of Sheldon/Leonard/Penny dynamic, but episodes with Amy and Bernadette change the dynamic just as much as episodes that include Howard and Rajesh. Yeah, Raj is a total jerk when he drinks, but lots of people are total jerks when they drink. Shy Raj has an alter ego that is haughty, rude and pushy. He's a 'Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde' of social interaction when he drinks. I enjoy all the characters, includingthe peripheral ones like comic book store ownerStuart, Barry Kripke, and Zack who helped the gang win the comic book store costume contest. Every actor on the showhas beenstellar.

DresserBoys

[6]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 18

Enjoy Whitney

that70sshow2000

[7]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 15
    This is a comedy, not a drama. Did you really want to see Penny and Raj pursue anything? If you want dragged out lovey-sexy stories, check out 90210 or One Tree Hill.

Definitely don't think it's "lost it." I actually think s5 has been better/funnier than s4.

welnoc

[8]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 9
    Perhaps you're not maturing at the same pace as the show is?

I have really enjoyed seeing Howard and Leonard move from immature boys to more confident men whilst retaining their inner geek. Even Sheldon is developing into a better person although he will always be the self-absorbed mamma's boy. The only one who hasn't really changed is Raj and that is sad. I'm hoping that something will happen with his character one way or the other this season. Bernadette and Amy are great additions to the show and as someone else mentioned, there are all the wonderful and wacky satellite characters.

I love this series and don't think it by any means has "lost it." I am by no means exactly the same person I was ten years ago, I don't necessarily find the same things amusing or react the same way to situations, but I am still funadmentally me. That is what has happened with BBT, it has grown and developed and matured and I say Bravo! to the writers for doing it so well.

edmasterchaos

[9]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 41
    I think it's mostly the jokes, in the past few seasons i sorta started noticing that the nerd jokes are more (pardon the use of this word, but really it fits) mainstream than before, so the nerd aspect has become more of a label than what the show is about, which seems to be of four socially awkward men with relationships and how Sheldon is funny. Plus... lots of racism jokes...

adcetc

[10]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 5
    Indeed, the show has lost it. What I dislike about the last two season is that the writers managed to make the characters more and more stereotypical and stupid, nerds not geeks! Also, the amount of science subjects the characters do or discuss was gradually reduced to almost none, and if there is any technical reference it is usually a mistake, especially the computer related topics ("restart the tcp/ip stack" when the buffering for a skype conversation is slow...this is bullshit, they just like to put fancy words in the script). Also, the show is written for a vast audience, so they don't want to make it very smart and geeky...

CarrieStout

[11]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 1

I couldn't agree more. This show has devolved into nothing more than sophomoric, lame sexually laden comments with no purpose. It appears that Chuck Lorre is too pre-occupied with Two & Half Men and the AK debacle to supervise the Big Bang writing staff and maintain any consistency in the characters or story lines. Honestly, who are the writers this season? Have they even watched this series? There hasn't been one new science reference this entire season. It is awful. I don't like a single character. If they don't course correct immediately, this will be worse than the titanic. "Iceberg dead ahead!"

absolut_me

[12]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 5

I wouldn't say that the show has 'lost it', but I couldn't agree more with the last comments posted. It seems like since the show is very popular now, screen writers do not bother coming up with funny scientific jokes anymore. The great thing about TBBT was that you could watch a show and learn some interesting things at the same time, while laughing about it. The current storylines only deal with the characters' relationships and it becomes kind of lame. I am not saying that the show doesn't have to evolve - it really does - but why put the hilarious jokes aside? The introduction of Amy last season has been adding a great new dynamic in the show, so the screen writers should exploit it even more! All I know is that way back, every single line was cult, now, I do not even remember last time Sheldon almost made me wet my pants.

JoHu01

[13]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 1

I am sorry to disagree but saying that "screen writers do not bother coming up with funny scientific jokes anymore" clearly indicates that you do not bother about science anymore.
    "Faster-than-light particles at CERN - paradigm-shifting discovery or another Swiss export as full of holes as their cheese?"
    Google it, you might learn something!
    Besides the show is great in any other aspect. The last episode (The Isolation Permutation) doesn't deserve to be rated "Great", it's SUPERB!!!

Adokensan

[14]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 10

JoHu01 wrote:

I am sorry to disagree but saying that "screen writers do not bother coming up with funny scientific jokes anymore" clearly indicates that you do not bother about science anymore.
    "Faster-than-light particles at CERN - paradigm-shifting discovery or another Swiss export as full of holes as their cheese?"
    Google it, you might learn something!
    Besides the show is great in any other aspect. The last episode (The Isolation Permutation) doesn't deserve to be rated "Great", it's SUPERB!!!

Agreed.

imakemydeals

[15]Nov 8, 2011
    • level: 2

The show was at its best when it was the guys and penny. the geeky references and random chatter made this show. Nowadays it's become way too relationship orientated. Howard getting married is just weird for me at least. Leonard nearly cheating on Priya was not right in my eyes.

that70sshow2000

[16]Nov 12, 2011
    • level: 15
    If chuck Lorre is spending all his time on 2.5 men that's pretty sad because men sucks his season.

S5 has been great and the latest episode was hilarious.

How can you say there's no point to the show anymore? That it's just random sexual jokes or we you said.

Did you not understand the purpose of last nights episodes regards to leonny? They continue to slowly being leonny back together and building a stronger friendship first.

Then we have Bernie and howards wedding/ engagement storyline And last night sheldens fear of birds? Hilarious shelly plot

bronbrons27

[17]Nov 17, 2011
    • level: 14
    I definitely don't think the show has "lost it" either.

In my opinion, season 5 has actually been a lot better than season 4, so far.

Sure, the show has changed a bit since season 1 and 2, but isn't that really to be expected? Every show changes over the years. The only storyline I'm a bit "ehh" about is the Howard/Bernadette engagement, but frankly I don't believe they're going to get married anyway, and I think it will ruin Howard's character if they do.

RuqeeD

[18]Nov 17, 2011
    • level: 3

bronbrons27 wrote:

I completely agree with you. The first few episodes of this season were hilarious! And Priya is out of the picture so that can only be an improvement.

bronbrons27

[19]Nov 17, 2011
    • level: 14
    RuqeeD wrote:

bronbrons27 wrote:

I completely agree with you. The first few episodes of this season were hilarious! And Priya is out of the picture so that can only be an improvement.

Hahaha, agreed.

angeland8

[20]Nov 18, 2011
    • level: 10
    Episode 10 was beyond bad. So yeah, you are right. They lost it.