The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Is it just me who thinks the show has lost it?

drudager

[41]Jan 18, 2012
    • level: 13
    Adek89 wrote:

Agreed.
    Feels like they're deviating from the main plot from seasons 1 and 2. It went from this cool geeky guy show, to a show that feels like Friends.
    And hey it's working for writers, they are much more popular now, but frankly it just doesn't cut it for me. Sure they still add scientific jokes here and there play their geeky roles, but the way the show is headed.. i don't know.. it's just not for me anymore.

Basically, it feels like they either ran out of ideas or sold out, or both for ratings & popularity. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who notices the shift in the show. Show isn't as fun as it used to be.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[42]Jan 18, 2012

MJPollard wrote:
    Taking all of that into account, the "relationship crap" was bound to happen at some point... and we're now at that point. Since it hasn't hurt the ratings any, I'd say that the hardcore fans are probably just going to have to live with it, because they seem to have settled on a formula that works.

Live with it... or take our time elsewhere. If this show gets too Friends-esque, long-time fans will eventually give up on the show. I liked the fact that this show actually had a premise of being smarter than the typical sitcom & didn't instantly appeal to the lowest common denominator. There's way too many shows on TV that try to appeal to a mass audience & felt some of this show's strongest moments when they actually had mentions on particular subjects or some detail-heavy references. While I don't fit the total geek/Sci-Fi/comic book nerd mode, I did appreciate the effort. All this mention in the show of relationships, marriage and children bores me to death, tho it was nice to see that Bernadette isn't going to be clone of Howard's mother like he expects. If they end up getting married I would shocked because there is way too much conflict.

MJPollard

[43]Jan 18, 2012
    • level: 5

drudager wrote:
    MJPollard wrote:
    Taking all of that into account, the "relationship crap" was bound to happen at some point... and we're now at that point. Since it hasn't hurt the ratings any, I'd say that the hardcore fans are probably just going to have to live with it, because they seem to have settled on a formula that works.
    Live with it... or take our time elsewhere. If this show gets too Friends-esque, long-time fans will eventually give up on the show.
    That's an option, too. Since the show is doing just as well with the "relationship crap" as it did before, I doubt that the loss of some hardcore fans who can't accept that the show has evolved will make much difference. The show will eventually decline in quality and fade away, like most TV shows do; we just disagree that this is that time.

MJPollard

[44]Jan 18, 2012
    • level: 5

drudager wrote:
    Basically, it feels like they either ran out of ideas or sold out, or both for ratings & popularity. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who notices the shift in the show. Show isn't as fun as it used to be.
    You're far from the only ones to notice the shift in the show. We just disagree that this shift is a bad one and that the show "isn't as fun as it used to be." And I really don't think I like the unspoken implication that only the hardcore fans (read: fans who were with the show from Day One) are correct about the show's direction. That way lies elitism, and elitism is never pretty.

antdude

[46]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 27
    I was expecting tonight's 100th episode to be funny and not that serious. Bah to the romance part. The card part and Spock parts were funny though. I think the series ran out of juice.

Samuel2484

[47]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 16

antdude wrote:
    I was expecting tonight's 100th episode to be funny and not that serious. Bah to the romance part. The card part and Spock parts were funny though. I think the series ran out of juice.

(SPOILERS FOR THE 100TH) Wouldn't it have made more sense to have this be the 99th episode? Rather than the 100th? Because the fact that it was (to be honest) a waste of the 100th episode special, now it feels like 101th episode is going to be the big one where it gets revealed what will happen between Leonard and Penny. I'm sure one of the episodes before this 100th special could have been taken away for the story that was actually used for the 100th to be used as the 99th. THAT way...assuming the next episode won't just say "the date failed now forget about it and move on with the show" which would tick me off so much, the next episode is the one we're waiting for and the actual 100th episode special WAS JUST A FILLER, I would've liked it as an ordinary episode but seriously, they just wasted the 100th episode with the "IT WAS A DREAM" cheat. Shame.

soloebe

[48]Jan 22, 2012
    • level: 2

You know, I'm thinking maybe the ratings will suffer in the long run. Right now, we"original" fans keep tuning in. We are hopeful dreamers. At least I am, some part of me must keep thinking they will go back to the way things were. When they don't (and from what you guys say here-they won't) I will most likely miss an episode then miss another until I really don't care wether I watch them or not. I feel like this will happen to a lot more people than just me.

And the "newer fans" the show is currentlybribing in with the realationship drama.........they will realize they can get that anywhere and eventually leave when the "newness" of their newly found show to watch- wears off. Realtionship shows are a dime a dozen. You watch "nerd world" because you want to watch geeky nerds do crazy things and open your eyes to cool things. (And throw in your obscure references to old sci-fi shows that make you feel happy because it's like a shoutout. Sigh).

soloebe

[49]Jan 28, 2012

They mentioned Dr. Who this week! Sigh.

This weeks episode actually had a lot more back-to-basics nerd world geekazoidiness! I actually laughed too!

I wonder if they read these forums and try our suggestions??

PontusLundin

[50]Jan 28, 2012
    • level: 4
    In the latest season I felt that something was different. I can't put my finger on it, but the chemistry seems to be distorted and the jokes that would have made me laugh didn't at all. But At the same time I see ( from the latest episode,) that it is improving a bit.

Me for one enjoyed when all of them were pathetically single and desperate, that made it real fun. Now Howard is getting married, Sheldon is in a "relationship" and Leonard is trying to date Penny again... Feels to soon for it to goo all this way. I hope the marriage gets called off and there will be a small step backwards to take a better direction. Everyone getting together feels to soon and to much of an end game for the show.

drudager

[51]Jan 30, 2012

PontusLundin wrote:
    In the latest season I felt that something was different. I can't put my finger on it, but the chemistry seems to be distorted and the jokes that would have made me laugh didn't at all. But At the same time I see ( from the latest episode,) that it is improving a bit. Me for one enjoyed when all of them were pathetically single and desperate, that made it real fun. Now Howard is getting married, Sheldon is in a "relationship" and Leonard is trying to date Penny again... Feels to soon for it to goo all this way. I hope the marriage gets called off and there will be a small step backwards to take a better direction. Everyone getting together feels to soon and to much of an end game for the show.
    What you're seeing is: a bunch of dames messing in up the guy's lives. I guess the show's creators went as far as they could before they dropped the relationship hammer on them. I think the only reason why Penny even bothers with any of them is because she had a fling; otherwise it wouldn't make any sense. But I have no interest in seeing a hot girl somehow end up with a nerd. Seems like some triumph goal since Day 1 of the show.

Edited on 01/30/2012 7:56am

mbruni12

[52]Feb 2, 2012

The latest episodes in season 5 have been a hugedisappointment. Seasons 1-4 were always laugh out hilarious but I do not understand where they are going with season 5. The writers have chosen tosuppressSheldonalmost at every turn and are trying to make the annoyingLeonardas the main character. Sheldon is this entire show yet more and more his personality is being changed and warped. Thefriendshipcontraction is by far the worst episode I've ever seen, Idon'tthink there was one good part.

Marshalleetime

[53]Oct 4, 2013
    • level: 1

I actually never liked raj. He never was a very likable character. Also when he starts talking he always comes off as such a jerk. At least the rest of the cast is funny in some way.

skbrettbug

[54]Oct 8, 2013
    • level: 19

Maybe it has lost it. It's more about the love aspect than the socialization between the guys/girls imo at this point

They may need new ideas that they just can't think of.

mnementh01

[55]Oct 11, 2013
    • level: 14
    Has the show lost "it"?

Hmm!!

Audience ratings at an all time high.

Emmy winning actors.

Emmy winning show.

Funny as Hell

I think NO!

ltcomstella

[56]Oct 11, 2013
    • level: 18

this new season was off to a good start but the last two episodes have been either just plain awful or boring/lame

the scavenging game was just a total cringe fest.

and the raiders ep was just so boring and lame and literally did nothing worthwhile.

the writers could of done so much more but no they are phoning it in now.

previous season filler eps had some charm or actual meaning these latest two lack that imho.

SHUCKLEMAN

[57]Oct 11, 2013
    • level: 11
    I think the show was funnier in the earlier seasons, but having more female characters in the main cast has made the show have broader appeal.

Yaspaa

[58]Oct 17, 2013
    • level: 79
    The Raider of the Last Ark episode was anything but lame. It was hilarious.

Georgie81

[59]Oct 17, 2013
    I think this season so far has been pretty weak, but in having said that the latest episode had me in stitches, reminded me of the earlier episodes. The sooner Sheldon/Amy and Leonard/Penny break up the better.
    And please no more Lucy, shes not right for Raj.