The Big Bang Theory Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Is Sheldon an atheist?

  • Avatar of sleepy-sonic

    sleepy-sonic

    [1]Mar 1, 2011
    • member since: 06/27/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 452

    I can't remember if they clarify this.What do you thing?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of crafty_gamer09

    crafty_gamer09

    [2]Mar 1, 2011
    • member since: 01/08/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2
    They do not exactly specify if he is an atheist or not but they do imply that Sheldon disagrees with his mother about how the universe was created. They do not come right out and say if he has religious beliefs or not.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IAmsterdam

    IAmsterdam

    [3]Mar 4, 2011
    • member since: 03/19/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 123

    I think that most scientists are atheïsts as a god prepresent the unseen [physically that is] and they cannot cope with this concept (of not being able to physically prove something).


    But on the other hand isn't science itself just another religion? And its god being the physical universe. Every theory and prove of it's validity or invalidity for that matter being just the dogma or that church?


    I am not an avid church visitor, since my compulsory visists as a child never set a foot in one. I still dislike the unsavory disregard for logic by the atheists when they demand proof of a god without ever needing proof that god indeed doesn't exist. Ergo, atheïsm is also a religion.


    Food for thought...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [4]Mar 4, 2011
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794

    Not necessarily.


    I work in a Chemistry Department at a university (trust me, I'm not a scientist, although I am a Christian). Out of the 16 faculty members, only one is a proclaimed atheist (and he's very proud of that fact). The rest are Christians, at least to degrees of nominally to one being an ordained minister.


    A lot of our students believe in God of some kind, whether they are Muslims, Buddhists, etc.


    I don't know other science departments, but I think there are probably an even split between faculty members who are scientists as well as students who believe in some kind of God and those who do not.


    Now, I'm pretty sure that Sheldon is an atheist. Just for the fact that he tends to reject the whole idea of the belief and culture system he grew up with. His mother is pretty much a fundamental Christian, and I can see Sheldon going totally atheist because it doesn't fit his beliefs as a scientist.


    Like you, I also hold the idea that even if you're an atheist, you believe in something. Science, your favorite sports team, whatever. And, yes, I think that's a religion.


    Kat

    Edited on 03/04/2011 7:23am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of slytoobie

    slytoobie

    [5]Mar 4, 2011
    • member since: 06/09/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    well in my opinion atheism is one thing as its defined it can not be a religion simple because it makes no positive claims about anything and by the by people atheism is not synonomous with science the word atheism simple describes the rejection of a faith claim im not an atheist myself but judging by the comments ive read so far many havnt the foggeist of what they are talking about.


    Atheism is no more a religion than not playing football is a sport.


    As for sheldon i seriously doubt if he holds faith beliefs but as for atheism i dont think so i would say he is likly an agnostic.

    Edited on 03/04/2011 10:04am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JohnKleijn

    JohnKleijn

    [6]Mar 4, 2011
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 7

    How much "faith" do you expect from atheoreticalphysicist, someone who explains the universe with math?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [7]Mar 4, 2011
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794

    JohnKleijn wrote:


    How much "faith" do you expect from a theoreticalphysicist, someone who explains the universe with math?



    Agreed.


    Kat

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dahauns

    dahauns

    [8]Mar 4, 2011
    • member since: 12/17/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 4

    IAmsterdam wrote:


    But on the other hand isn't science itself just another religion? And its god being the physical universe. Every theory and prove of it's validity or invalidity for that matter being just the dogma or that church?



    Nope. The key difference: The scientific method. (The dogma is actually a great example: By its very definition it can't be invalid. EVERY scientific theory has to be falsifiable. Dogmata have no room in science.) Of course, there are people that treat science like religion. But what they are doing isn't science anymore.


    :


    I am not an avid church visitor, since my compulsory visists as a child never set a foot in one. I still dislike the unsavory disregard for logic by the atheists when they demand proof of a god without ever needing proof that god indeed doesn't exist. Ergo, atheïsm is also a religion.



    Weeell...if you dislike disregard for logic, I would be careful with such sweeping statements. For starters, the assumptions you make heavily depend on what kind of atheism you're talking about.

    Edited on 03/04/2011 3:41pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IAmsterdam

    IAmsterdam

    [9]Mar 6, 2011
    • member since: 03/19/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 123


    dahauns wrote:


    Nope. The key difference: The scientific method. (The dogma is actually a great example: By its very definition it can't be invalid. EVERY scientific theory has to be falsifiable. Dogmata have no room in science.) Of course, there are people that treat science like religion. But what they are doing isn't science anymore.


    ...


    Weeell...if you dislike disregard for logic, I would be careful with such sweeping statements. For starters, the assumptions you make heavily depend on what kind of atheism you're talking about.



    You say there is only method to science, how would you classify the scolding and centuries for fights there were between the "Newtonians" and the "van Leeuwenhoekians" it had all the characteristics of a battle of dogma; when in fact the scientists that formulated the theories were not against each others ideas at all!! And in the end both premisses were unified: light is a particle that occilates to a specific freequency...


    Then there is the different schools in the field of the mind: psychiatry/psychology. With all the different sides attacking and mocking each other!


    You could maybe even state that there are very, very few real scientists, the rest behave as high priests. I know that I am offering scince-fiction as a source: read Asimov's "The Gods Themselves".


    Don't talk of mere differences of methodology, here is dogma at work!



    ...


    And what flavors of atheïsm are there? The mere fact that you are accepting different streams sugests a religion, for example Judaïsm, Christianism, Islam and the rest...



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pr0teu5

    pr0teu5

    [10]Mar 7, 2011
    • member since: 04/21/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 64

    IAmsterdam wrote:



    dahauns wrote:


    Nope. The key difference: The scientific method. (The dogma is actually a great example: By its very definition it can't be invalid. EVERY scientific theory has to be falsifiable. Dogmata have no room in science.) Of course, there are people that treat science like religion. But what they are doing isn't science anymore.


    ...


    Weeell...if you dislike disregard for logic, I would be careful with such sweeping statements. For starters, the assumptions you make heavily depend on what kind of atheism you're talking about.



    You say there is only method to science, how would you classify the scolding and centuries for fights there were between the "Newtonians" and the "van Leeuwenhoekians" it had all the characteristics of a battle of dogma; when in fact the scientists that formulated the theories were not against each others ideas at all!! And in the end both premisses were unified: light is a particle that occilates to a specific freequency...


    Then there is the different schools in the field of the mind: psychiatry/psychology. With all the different sides attacking and mocking each other!


    You could maybe even state that there are very, very few real scientists, the rest behave as high priests. I know that I am offering scince-fiction as a source: read Asimov's "The Gods Themselves".


    Don't talk of mere differences of methodology, here is dogma at work!



    ...


    And what flavors of atheïsm are there? The mere fact that you are accepting different streams sugests a religion, for example Judaïsm, Christianism, Islam and the rest...



    - Atheism is believe=>But not a systematic control religion,unlike all the big religion.


    - Almost all the religion is about 1000-2000 years old. It's just illogical to think these man made religion has any right,other then it's cultural value. Most what in those book,are full of cultural rules of that days.


    - Befor someone can give me real answer about, Can God make a rock so big that he can't lift it?. I would say all the religion today is man made as it could be.


    - Could there be a power being that could be call God? I suppost it's possible. But consider their might and power, it just illogical to think he/she/they would care about us. Just think about how much does we care about ants.


    - But again everyone should have the right to believe where ever he/she want! That is why I find most religion annoying, there is always someone want to "save" you, because it get him/her some extra point for heaven...what a joke.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [11]Mar 8, 2011
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794

    Religion is not 1000-2000 years old.


    Judaism itself is around 5000 years old, which is still one of the big 3 (Judaism, Christianity, Islam). You've also got the religion of the ancient Egyptians, which date over 5000 years old. You've got the religion of the ancient Romans and Greeks. Granted, there aren't many people who worship the religion of ancient Egypt, Rome, or Greece. However, Hinduism was developed 6000 years ago. Shintoism is around 2500 years old. Both are still practiced today.


    Christianity is 2000 years old. Islam is around 1500 years old. So, yeah, they're relatively new in the scheme of time. But religion itself is not 1000-2000 years old.


    Archeologists have discovered altars of sorts in prehistoric caves. So, man has worshiped something since the beginning of time.


    I'm sorry that people have tried to "save" you in order to get points in Heaven. That's not what trying to spread any type of religion is for. Are you sure you didn't misunderstand the intent?


    Kat



    Edited on 03/08/2011 6:20am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IAmsterdam

    IAmsterdam

    [12]Mar 16, 2011
    • member since: 03/19/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 123

    The topic here is not, I think, if religion is good. or even religion vs atheïsm; therefore I appologize for my posts that steered the subject in that direction.



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [13]Mar 16, 2011
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794

    IAmsterdam wrote:


    The topic here is not, I think, if religion is good. or even religion vs atheïsm; therefore I appologize for my posts that steered the subject in that direction.





    Agreed.


    So, steering back on topic--Sheldon would probably be an atheist because he would have to believe that the truth lies in something that can quantified scientifically.


    Plus, he would also have to see his mother and his childhood as being what "religion" means. From what he's said, he had kind of an unhappy childhood. His mother loves him, obviously. But teachers who were probably Christians in his little Texas hometown didn't understand him because he was so much smarter than them. Kids who were probably in class (until he started skipping grades) and Sunday School with him didn't like him because he wrecked the curve (and was kind of a "freak.") And that doesn't exactly translate into embracing religion (any kind of religion) as an adult.


    Kat

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ToddFisher

    ToddFisher

    [14]Mar 18, 2011
    • member since: 10/20/10
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 8

    Is it possible that Sheldon is agnostic, I am not sure what that means but my religion is sport and my church is a sports ground.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IAmsterdam

    IAmsterdam

    [15]Mar 26, 2011
    • member since: 03/19/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 123

    Well, I still would like to revisit the "Science is a relition aswell" idea that I have:


    On the episode after their return from the Artic, Sheldon stated that he would remain in Texas "To teach evolution to creationists" this makes Sheldon someone that does not beleive that a diety would have created life.


    If we take this datum, I'd like to add the datum that the 'creator' of the evolution theory himself was a deep religious man himself. But he saw in his studies some evidence that sugested this concept of evolution. So he called it, in short, "The evolution theory".


    Now Sheldon is no longer speaking of evolution as a theory, is he? According to me evolution is some self evident datum to sheldon, therefore this is religion to him: a dogma. And so, I think of Sheldon not as an Atheïst, but neither is he someone that beleives that god himself created biological life.


    Bazhinga!! :p :p

    Edited on 03/26/2011 6:16am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IanHaze

    IanHaze

    [16]Mar 28, 2011
    • member since: 09/27/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 303

    IAmsterdam your logic is very, very flawed, and the bulk of your comment nonsense. Aint even worth elaborating upon.


    When you call science a religion, you might want to look up the definitions for both.


    Also, the way Sheldon speaks about his mother's beliefs show little respect for religion, and his need to have proof for everything suggests he's a full blown atheist, but I've never seen them refer to it in any episode.

    Edited on 03/28/2011 8:21pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seb1925

    seb1925

    [17]May 16, 2011
    • member since: 05/14/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 16

    I think, from what can be gathered from his lines, that he either believes in God or, as Amy, isn't opposed to the idea of a deity. He does, however, disagree with his mum about several religious traditions and beliefs such as denying evolution, claiming to know what Jesus would concern Himself with or, again as Amy said, the fact that God would take attendance.


    But on the other hand, he may simply be an agnostic or even atheist whose inclusion of God in his speech ('Dear God! ... thank you God!', etc) were 'injected' to him by his family via classic condit¡oning. He 'absorved' that kind of culture, yet he doesn't necessarily believe the same as they do.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.