The Big Bang Theory Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

It can't just be me that thinks Kaley Cuoco can't act...?

Kudorigami

[21]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 5
    I think she has been casted well for the character Penny.

There is only one thing that annoyed me like hell throughout season 1.
    Whenever speechless or someone said something goofy, she would give this gazed look and pouch her lips.
    ALWAYS! Eventually I was like....here it comes. And it would.
    It really started to get annoying. It came across as very unprofessional. As an actor having only one and the same face for that particular situation.

Anyway...it seems as if someone gave her feedback on it, since it's been greatly reduced in season 2.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Phideaux33

[22]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 2

I think you're spot on. If you recall the very first few episodes, Penny was just an empty-headed blond who didn't understand anything that the guys were talking about, a very one dimensional character. As the show got more mainstream they smartened up Penny and it doesn't seem that Kaley has the chops for it.

Shredmastahflux

[23]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 10

Her acting isn't the best on the show but i wouldn't say its bad. Its must be hard for all of them to shine with Jim Parsons taking the spotlight . As we all know Sheldon IS the big bang theory.

bronbrons27

[24]Oct 1, 2010
    • level: 14
    Shredmastahflux wrote:

Her acting isn't the best on the show but i wouldn't say its bad. Its must be hard for all of them to shine with Jim Parsons taking the spotlight . As we all know Sheldon IS the big bang theory.

I completely agree. Her acting isn't the best, but its not terrible either. And her chemistry with Jim is really good, which makes the Penny/Sheldon scenes hilarious.

FLASHASDF

[25]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 3
    You are ****** I love penny

ChibiMaddiChan

[26]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 9

TC, you're not alone but I don't agree either and Penny isn't even my second favorite character. I almost think it's 'unfair' to say Kaley plays Penny poorly. Maybe I don't see it, but her role as Penny doesn't seem too hard to me and I think if she were playing the role poorly, it'd be far more noticeable. Her character may be written poorly, which I don't like, but I think Kaley plays Penny well. She IS Penny to a a lot of people and once a person has held a role that's liked, it's hard to see her replaced. It's like how the original Vivian from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: the first was sassy and had a great chemistry with everyone and still retained her own charm by the actress that played her. The second was just too fake and overly sweet and didn't have the same chemistry or 'bite' to her, which was incredibly missed. I think if Kaley was replaced, the actress wouldn't play Penny (obviously) the same way and the chemistry would be off, even if the rest of the characters remained.

john_e_gold

[27]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 11

I watched the unaired pilot episode that casted former MuchMusic VJ Amanda Walsh in the role of "Kelly". Thank God she was canned in favour for Kaley.Smile

Willick-Bunch

[28]Oct 9, 2010
    • level: 7

Perhaps this is a case of jenniferanistonitis. Kaley Cuoco does not have to act very much, because she is actually a lot like Penny.

But I don't know squat about Kaley - I just saw some talk shows appearances of her. Help me out - has she ever played a character significantly different to Penny?

DresserBoys

[29]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 18

The only other role I know of is Bridget from 8 Simple Rule. The characters pretty much the same.

Looking if she has acting chops might try looking for her movie she did for Lifetime.

luv70s

[30]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 4
    She is no where NEAR the capability of Jim Parsons or even Johhny (and he's not the best either. No contest on an Emmy winner!) but she isn't THAT horrible either. I think she is bad at distraction acting (ex: she cant make it look real when she is folding laundry.) But I agree there is something that doesn't grab my attention from her. I'm not as drawn into her character as I am Sheldon.

IanHaze

[31]Oct 29, 2010
    • level: 6

chicamusica12 wrote:
    Am I the only one who likes her as their favorite character? >_>

Nope, love her for the character. Even think the show aint half as funny now that's she's away for a few eps.

luv70s

[32]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 4
    I see you were a Two Guys and A Girl fan? Or just of Nathan?

IanHaze

[33]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 6

luv70s wrote:
    I see you were a Two Guys and A Girl fan? Or just of Nathan?

While I liked Two Guys and A Girl I chose the Picture because of Firefly. Just love sarcastic narcistic main characters

Edited on 11/04/2010 7:27pm

blsrob

[35]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 8

She is hot and fits perfect with the show!!! I heard she is pregnant, anyone else hear this???

bronbrons27

[36]Nov 15, 2010

blsrob wrote:
    She is hot and fits perfect with the show!!! I heard she is pregnant, anyone else hear this???

I just looked it up, and no she is not pregant, some stories just said that the show is treating Kaley as if she was pregnant because they are hiding her leg/foot in most shot,same as they would be hiding her stomach if she was pregnant, which they have done for actresses on many other shows.

I also found out just a few weeks ago that Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki have been secretly dating for the past two years, and just broke up a couple of months ago. (It won't let me copy and paste the website on here for some reason, but if you Google it, you'll see that Kaley has confirmedthe relationshipon a few different sites).

doguineta

[37]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 20

I actually think she plays her role greatl. But the Amy actress can't act.

safibwana

[38]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 11

I may have a different perspective than most, as I started by watching the unaired pilot. The show doesn't work without Kaley. Mind you, I don't say that because I'm a fan; I thought she was terrible on Charmed. Comedy just may be her thing. I think she is fantastic with Sheldon, and I'm not a Sheldon fan at all (I think the show went way downhill when they started giving him more screen time). Worse than that though, is making Blossom a series regular; that is the death knell for this show.

bronbrons27

[39]Nov 17, 2010
    doguineta wrote:

I actually think she plays her role greatl. But the Amy actress can't act.

Actually I think the actress that plays Amy is a great actress. Honestly, any actor/actress that can memorize lines like Amy's (or Sheldon's) while still being able to keep a serious face is a good actor, in my opinion.

xjmx88

[40]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 2

I don't think the problem is her acting but more so, the material she is given... she's had some greatdialogbut I'm referring the story lines she's in.

She was a scene-stealer in 8 Simple Rules, a part she played to perfectly and the character of Penny isn't exactly a far stretch from Bridget. When she's playing Penny as a perky, friendly waitress, it's fine but in most of her scenes now, she just seems moody and annoyed. I know the show is supposed to be about the guys but it would be nice if she had some real stories again to help hercharacterdevelop.