The Big Bang Theory Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Kill the laugh track.

gr0mka

[1]Aug 23, 2009
    • level: 1
    Every line in every sentence from every character should not contain a pause for a laugh track.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

chicamusica12

[2]Aug 23, 2009
    • level: 13
    Dude, that's the audience's ACTUAL laughter. I heard from someone who actually went to the tapings, that they have to edit out some of the laughter, so you could hear the actor's better.

crash613x

[3]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 4

That is so funny that this is on the first page of threads... .I came here specifically to start a thread about that!

I tried to watch this show in its first season. Although it was one of the funniest shows I had seen in quite awhile i simply can't watch it. The laughing, whether real or track, is so loud and distracting that my brain ends up focusing on it. like the person above me said, every line of every character. I couldn't take it... I grabbed season 3 ep 1 hoping that it has changed, but it doesn't appear it has.

It is too bad that the executives feel we are too stupid to know when to laugh that they put that crap in there.... or it is too bad that they choose to mike the audience to include their annoying laughing. This could be a great show, but i guess i'll never know. I can't take the annoying, distracting laugh track!

Lord__Seth

[4]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 8
    It is a live audience, but my question is this: Why is it so loud? It's possibly the loudest of any sitcom I've seen. Others are in front of a live audience, and they're not as loud. Is the audience too close to the microphones or someting? I understand they can edit the laughter, so they don't they turn it down? I can understand why the audience is laughing so hard, but I do wish the people who made the series would at least lower their volume somehow.

chicamusica12

[5]Sep 29, 2009
    I don't have a problem with the laugh track. I honestly find jokes funnier when they have that really hard laughter saved for a few scenes. Like when Raj said Howard was trying to fit in with Toy Story.

Falkidian

[6]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 3
    I agree, The laugh track is the one thing that annoy me with the show, except for Sheldon, but hey, I watch the show for that one reason....but the laugh track should at least be reduced....

day-O

[7]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 18
    OK I am so sick of everybody being annoyed by it. Every TBBT board I go on has the same thread. It is a LIVE AUDIENCE not a laugh track. This is the way sitcoms have been for almost 60 years and I find the joke funnier. I don't have a problem with it at all and there are still a lot of sitcoms on the air today that use them. I don't like it in cartoons though. The only time a track is used is if they tape live on location and to "sweeten" the audience's laughter if they didn't get a big enough laugh for a joke. They're not going to just get rid of it just like that because they already have two seasons with it.

chicamusica12

[8]Oct 3, 2009
    day-O wrote:
    OK I am so sick of everybody being annoyed by it. Every TBBT board I go on has the same thread. It is a LIVE AUDIENCE not a laugh track. This is the way sitcoms have been for almost 60 years and I find the joke funnier. I don't have a problem with it at all and there are still a lot of sitcoms on the air today that use them. I don't like it in cartoons though. The only time a track is used is if they tape live on location and to "sweeten" the audience's laughter if they didn't get a big enough laugh for a joke. They're not going to just get rid of it just like that because they already have two seasons with it.
    *audience applauds*

Just had to do it

sockpoodle

[9]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 1
    Whether it's laugh track or live audience doesn't matter. It adds to the fun. When Howard told Sheldon that a chicken made him his b*tch I was already laughing, but the tv laughter made me laugh even harder (if that's possible).

Krevlornemem

[10]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 4
    I've always found the laugh track real or not pretty annoying.

mimisc2009

[11]Nov 2, 2009
    • level: 9
    I don't see why people find the laugh track annoying plus it's not that loud coz I never seem to notice it.

blablobb

[12]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 2
    I recommend watching the bloopers on the Season 2 DVDs. You can clearly see that there is a live audience, because a) The actors actually talk to the audience occasionally after they screwed up a line, b) why would they add a laugh track to bloopers.

Yaspaa

[13]Nov 16, 2009
    • level: 78
    This show is so good,I dont even notice it.

Bisrossk

[14]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 9
    This is why it took me so long to ever get into the show. And, like others have said, it's not just the laughing, it's the extremely loud and they stop and wait for it after every line.

The worst thing wasn't the laughter, though, it was the "Awww..." followed by soft clapping everytime Leonard and Penny get together in the first two seasons.

Samuel2484

[15]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 16
    The fact that you can't see the front wall of the Comic book store, Penny's and Leonard and Sheldon's apartment is a dead give away that it is a live-stage audience. And in the Gag Reels, When they muck up they talk to the audience and the audience is laughing when they mess up aswell. Nothing you can do about it.

Samuel2484

[18]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 16
    [QUOTE="blablobb"]
    ArlovskiFTW wrote:
    On one of the extras on a Friends DVD season one of the producers actually said that the audience helped improving the show. When something about the story is unclear or when a joke is difficult to understand they would ask the audience if they understood it or if they should change it. So the audience can serve a purpose other than providing a laugh track.
    Yeah, David Crain made a great point and he is perfectly right! Live Stage audiences add to the Show's success and help them know what Jokes are funny and are what not. Also, I don't know if I'm the only one why feels this way, but Hearing a Live-Stage audience makes me feel like I've got company to watch it with and it's like your watching it with all these people for the first time, and I've always found that to be a great feeling.

friendserking

[20]Dec 24, 2009
    I love the laugh track. The purpose of it is to give you a live show experience. How I Met Your Mother uses a laugh track. Big Bang Theory uses the live audience laugh track. But personally I like it and all the best sitcoms had laugh tracks again in my opinion. In some cases it can be annoying if it is over used, but I like having the live audience feel. Bad shows use it to make you laugh at things that are not funny, but if its a good show the only thing it does is help give you a live audience feel. So again I like the laugh track.