The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

mistakes in the show

whoami4546

[1]Mar 17, 2011
    • level: 2

This is one of my favorite shows. I have noticed some mistakes I want your guys opinions on.

1. In the episode"The toast deviation" Sheldon makes the comment of they have eaten at their apartment every Thursday(?) night for the past 8 or 9 years. This is not true. There was at least 3months(?) where they lived in the artic. I found this wierd since they mentioned the trip in the same episode when Penny explained the snowflake.

2. In the same episode, Sheldon brings out three games for them to play. They are all from very outdatedsystems. I have a problem with this for a few reasons.

A. The games he chose to play were not in there original boxes. It would some they were all in dvd cases with the labels printed on the fromt. It would seem a nerd like Sheldon would find this unacceptable. Would the games in there cartridge or floppy form form even fit.

B. I would think Sheldon being a uber nerd wouldpickbetter games for multiplayer. Zork 1 would seem like a game that with have very little replay value with other people. Has anyone h ere played the other two?

C. Am i to believe that Sheldon has a boxes for games that could be less than a megabyte when all combined? If anything he would have a massive rom dvd.

3. In the same episode, Sheldon makes a random rule not to use the letter "m". He makes a mistake when he says "This is complete adness"

4. In the recent episode, Sheldon makes theassumptionthatHowardused aradioactivetracer and would have to get some U-254(?) to test it out. I find this silly on a number of levels. The main one is Sheldon being as smart as he is would have used a radioactive substance that was easier to obtain such as theradioactivematerial in a smoke detector. He also works at aprestigiousuniversityI would be surprised ifhedidn'talready have access to these materials.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jekyll

[2]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 86

Most of those are your opinion of what Sheldon "should" do, not mistakes. And when Sheldon says they eat in the apartment every Thursday (or anyone says something similar), obviously they're discounting vacations or work trips; they don't have to literally mean every single Thursday, no exceptions.

michalisthiou

[3]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 5
    yes I agree these are not mistakes, they are just you're personal views of what he should have said/done instead

historylover20

[4]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 28

Agree with the last two posters.

Kat

Da-View

[5]Sep 22, 2011
    • level: 7

very true although i have a few actual mistakes

season 1 i'm pretty sure it is on halo night raj talks while penny is in the room without being drunk

neo979

[6]Sep 22, 2011
    • level: 6
    One thing I found odd, though not necessarily a mistake, was in the episode The Einstein Approximation. Sheldon gets stumped on a physics problem and goes to great lengths trying to figure out, eventually taking a job with Penny at The Cheesecake Factory to try to "jolt" his brain. That's when he finally comes to the realization that he needs to consider particle-wave duality in order to solve the problem.

Well, particle-wave duality is a concept often taught to first-year physics students. It seems a little simple for someone as smart as Sheldon to have had that much trouble coming up with it.

But I guess it's not impossible - sometimes people who are very familiar with the most complex aspects of something can have a tendency to overlook the simpler ones.

ChinmayRatnap

[7]Sep 22, 2011
    • level: 3
    Sir, These are not mistakes, these are just, what-you-would-have-done-if-you-were-the-director kind of things.

The ONLY mistake I have come across is on 1st season-Episode07, "The Dumpling Paradox", on Halo Night, Raj makes a snide comment while Penny is in the same room.

juancaar

[8]Sep 23, 2011
    • level: 5

Watch the show enjoy it, laugh with it, and then get on with your life...

Adokensan

[9]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 10

juancaar wrote:

LOL. This is a forum. People discuss things.

One mistake on the show is in season 4 when Sheldon says that he has never been kissed by anyone but his own mother. This is not true, Leonards mother kissed him in an earlier season. In season 4 (in the very same episode, I think) he claims to be a good dancer, and had been for years. But in an earlier season when Penny asks him to dance he says that he never dances. Something like "In an alternate universe, I'm probably a clown. But in none of them do I dance." Heh, probably some unexperienced writers who wrote this episode??

neo979

[10]Sep 25, 2011
    Adokensan wrote:

juancaar wrote:

LOL. This is a forum. People discuss things.

One mistake on the show is in season 4 when Sheldon says that he has never been kissed by anyone but his own mother. This is not true, Leonards mother kissed him in an earlier season. In season 4 (in the very same episode, I think) he claims to be a good dancer, and had been for years. But in an earlier season when Penny asks him to dance he says that he never dances. Something like "In an alternate universe, I'm probably a clown. But in none of them do I dance." Heh, probably some unexperienced writers who wrote this episode??

I don't think it is necessarily a contradiction to say, "I'm a great dancer, but I never dance." Isn't that basically John Travolta's position too?

hell693

[11]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 11
    these are not mistakes dude one mistake was that they told us in season 4 that Sheldon's first kiss was with his gf but it was with Lenard's mom.

Lgc1t

[12]Nov 11, 2011
    • level: 1

juancaar wrote:

If that is so, then why are you here?

bronbrons27

[13]Nov 17, 2011
    • level: 14
    Another actual mistake I remember, is in season 2 or 3, when Leonard is depressed (I think it was about Penny), and he decides to get a cat, he tells Sheldon not to worry, he was going to get a hairless cat because he took into account Sheldon's allergy to cats.

And then in season 4, Sheldon buys about 25 regular, furry cats. Huh?

rkell48

[14]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 2
    whoami4546 wrote:

2. In the same episode, Sheldon brings out three games for them to play. They are all from very outdatedsystems. I have a problem with this for a few reasons.

Uh, fail?

What about retro game night?

kanniballl

[15]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 18

rkell48 wrote:
    whoami4546 wrote:

Uh, fail? What about retro game night?

Yeh, it's pretty much within the norm that people into that would have old systems lying around. And if they have retro game night, they dust them off.

kanniballl

[16]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 18

ChinmayRatnap wrote:
    Sir, These are not mistakes, these are just, what-you-would-have-done-if-you-were-the-director kind of things. The ONLY mistake I have come across is on 1st season-Episode07, "The Dumpling Paradox", on Halo Night, Raj makes a snide comment while Penny is in the same room.

I don't know if that is the episode/scene I'm remembering...

But they did something similar in an episode and I said "Ah, I guess they forgot..." and realized there was a beer can next to him... implying he'd at least had *something* to drink.

He doesn't need to get sloshed, just a little bit of alcohol to get passed his fear.

arek

[17]Dec 20, 2011
    • level: 1
    In one of the season one or two episodes Raj offers to trade his vintage Mattel Millennium Falcon. However, Kenner made Star Wars toys, not Mattel.

During the time machine episode Leonard described a Star Trek Geordi LaForge figure missing a visor as a rare variant although it's not rare and collectors would most likely class it as a 'mispack'

karebear001

[18]Jan 9, 2012

In the episode "The Ornithophobia Diffusion", Sheldon mistakenly identifies the bird outside the window as a blue jay. Not only is it quite evident from looking at the bird that this is not the case, but blue jays do not even live in California.

coxm11

[19]Jan 10, 2012
    • level: 3

I can't remember the episode name but it's the one with "Secret Agent Laser Obstacle Chess." Leonard clearly breaks the Laser well before the alarm sounds. I believe one lasergoes through his chest but the alarm still doesn't go off for a few seconds. This is the only real mistake I can think of seeing.

What do you think?

djboy77

[20]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 7

"The Shiny Trinket Maneuver"

Sheldon: I can be faulted for being overly fond of koala bears.

Koalas, like pandas, aren't bears. Does seem like Sheldon would have not only known that but also been characteristically pedantic about it.