The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread - 5x22 "The Stag Convergence"

phonzee101

[1]Apr 26, 2012
    • level: 13

New episode for April 26th, "The Stag Convergence." Enjoy

Wow I knew Howard & Raj were close but I never thought they got that close together considering in the season 3 episode "The Plimpton Stimulation" they didn't want to have group sex with Dr.Plimpton when she inferring it.

That was one funnybachelor party, Kripke begging for strippers was awesome.

Edited on 04/26/2012 5:41pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MJPollard

[2]Apr 26, 2012
    • level: 5

Howard proved he's grown a lot in this episode, first by refusing the offer of a stripper at his stag party, then by his truly heartfelt speech at the end where he explains how Bernadette made him a better man. Okay, he's still the Mama's Boy of Mama's Boys , but still, it's a pretty big leap from the major league horndog he used to be. Kudos, Howard!

antdude

[3]Apr 26, 2012
    • level: 27
    Weak episode. I only laughed at the beginning, middle, and ending. I miss the nerdy/geeky parts.

day-O

[4]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 18

antdude wrote:
    Weak episode. I only laughed at the beginning, middle, and ending. I miss the nerdy/geeky parts.

You seriously must not be watching the show enough then. In the previous episode Sheldon met Steven Hawking, and in another one they had a 48 hour Star Wars gaming weekend. And in another recent episode Sheldon and Leonard got vintage Star Trek transporter toys. I don't care if it was funny or not, I'm giving valid examples.

bronbrons27

[5]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 14
    I liked this episode. It made me like Howard and Bernadette a whole lot more too, although I still don't believe they're actually going to get married.

I loved Howard's speech (and Penny's reaction to it, haha), but a part of me does miss the old Howard as well.

Sheldon, Kripke, Stuart and Wil Wheaton were all hilarious at the bachelor party, too.

MJPollard

[6]Apr 27, 2012

bronbrons27 wrote:
    I liked this episode. It made me like Howard and Bernadette a whole lot more too, although I still don't believe they're actually going to get married.
    You'd have a definitive answer to this if you'd read the taping report for the season finale. I won't spoil anything one way or the other, but let's just say that the next two episodes are going to be quite interesting... IMHO, anyway.

rphjose

[7]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 4
    Sheldon drinking was ridiculous, sure he has adhered to social convention a few times, but did he forget what happened in "The Pants Alternative"? He also criticized Amy for drinking just to fit in in "The Agreement Dissection".

I liked how they remembered events from previous episodes at the party.

MJPollard

[8]May 1, 2012

rphjose wrote:
    Sheldon drinking was ridiculous, sure he has adhered to social convention a few times, but did he forget what happened in "The Pants Alternative"? He also criticized Amy for drinking just to fit in in "The Agreement Dissection".
    You're expecting total logic and complete adherence to "canon" from a sitcom? You know that if the writers have a choice between adhering strictly and unconditionally to past events or going for the laugh, they're going to go for the laugh. But that aside, it's also inconsistent in another way, in that Sheldon didn't bat an eye when he drank two full glasses of wine (and was swigging from the bottle) in "The Pants Alternative," yet one sip of whiskey has him dropping J-bombs. (Okay, maybe he hates the taste of whiskey more than wine, but as a non-drinker myself, I abhor the taste of alcohol no matter what form it's in, so shouldn't he have also reacted this way in "Pants"?) I also don't think they mined Sheldon's drinking for nearly as much comedy as they could have. Since he's not a drinker, I really don't think that a few sips of whiskey would make him go batcrap crazy like he did in "Pants," but I was expecting a little more than just a few silly comments and off-camera praying to the porcelain. It could've been funnier, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they wanted to concentrate more on the other story elements than on Sheldon's drinking antics.

welnoc

[9]May 4, 2012
    • level: 9

If it was a really fine single malt whisky, then yes, Sheldon could have had a sip or two and gone bat crap crazy; especially as a non-drinker.

Different alcohols have different concentrations of alcohol and I've noticed in my many, many years of weekly visits to the pubs that many people react very differently to different types of alcohol. My own reaction is similar to Sheldon's; I can drink a couple of glasses of wine and barely notice it but a single shot of whisky and the room starts to spin. I have a friend who can down a few beers without noticing but a couple of glasses of wine practically has him dancing on the tables. He tends to stick to beer. I tend to only drink whisky when a bed or couch is within easy reach. Wink

I'm certainly no expert but I would imagine that different ingredients in alcohol can react differently in people because of differences in metabolism, allergies, etc.

Not all alcohol is created equal and not all people react the same to it.

MJPollard

[10]May 5, 2012
    Interesting. Since I don't drink, these are things I never really thought about, so I guess my only response would have to be, "whatever." Seriously, it's still a somewhat inconsistent thing on the part of the writers, i.e. Sheldon and alcohol, and they still failed to mine any significant humor out of it other than "Jeepers, that's yucky!" and "I just threw up the bachelor party," but since the focus of the episode was on Howard, it's not a big deal.

antdude

[11]May 11, 2012
    • level: 27
    welnoc wrote:
    Not all alcohol is created equal and not all people react the same to it.
    Ditto. I don't drink because I easily throw up.

firefairyangel

[12]May 13, 2012
    • level: 12

I didn't like the first half of the episode, partially because I'm finding that Raj is becoming more and more obnoxious as the seasons go on. To be fair, I've only started watching in the past 2-3 years so I haven't seen much of the earlier episodes to judge if this is really much of a change. However, I loved the second half. Bernadette had some very funny lines, and Howard's speech was so sweet.