The Big Bang Theory Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official Discussion Thread - 5x24 "The Countdown Reflection"

What did you think of the finale?

phonzee101

[1]May 10, 2012
    • level: 13

The day has arrived for the geeky wedding! Please discuss here.

Edited on 05/10/2012 5:38pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

antdude

[2]May 11, 2012
    • level: 27
    It was OK. I liked the launch parts the most, but that's it. It needs more geeky/nerdy stuff!
    Edited on 05/10/2012 11:49pm

MJPollard

[3]May 11, 2012
    • level: 5

I definitely enjoyed My Big Fat Geek Wedding. Howard's antics in the Soyuz capsule prove that even though he's now a one-woman man, in every other respect Howard is still gonna be Howard. Sheldon's behavior here with regards to his comments and attitudes on relationships would seem to show that Amy's conditioning from "The Launch Acceleration" didn't stick, but his reaching out and taking her hand in the final scene tells me that it has stuck, and his comments were more like an attempt at resisting the inevitable. (Go Shamy!) And it looks like Leonard & Penny 2.0 has hit a rough patch of sea, but I'm thinking they'll weather the storm. I'd prefer that they take things slow anyway, and besides, the series has been renewed for two more seasons, so there's no sense in rushing through to yet another marriage. And poor Raj is stuck with the short straw again, story-wise, though I was happy to see that he was more involved here than in recent episodes. Mr. Metrosexual-My-Ass definitely has a gift for wedding planning.

So, what's next for Howard? Likely we'll be hearing about the trial and tribble-ations of married life next season, and I would not be surprised to see a pregnancy announcement, either. Question is, who will it be? Call me crazy, but I'm thinking they'll shock us all and it'll be Amy. As repressed as Sheldon is, I'm thinking he's bound to show a hidden-deep-down "wild man" when he finally discovers the joys of sex (completely against his will, of course).

fanboy34

[4]May 11, 2012
    • level: 11

MJPollard wrote:

[...]So, what's next for Howard? Likely we'll be hearing about the trial and tribble-ations of married life next season, and I would not be surprised to see a pregnancy announcement, either. Question is, who will it be? Call me crazy, but I'm thinking they'll shock us all and it'll be Amy. As repressed as Sheldon is, I'm thinking he's bound to show a hidden-deep-down "wild man" when he finally discovers the joys of sex (completely against his will, of course).

I'm thinking along similar lines that Sheldon and Amy have to be next up. Perhaps Amy will go full on whacko and borrow some Sheldon DNA and grow herself a baby genius without his umm direct input. Raj's man-love for his buddy Howard will simply widen to include Bernadette and he'll just be a secondary third-wheel in their marriage along with Howie's Ma. Penny only needs to feel a bit less secure about Leonard's affections to push herself back into line, but, there's lots of time yet for them. Perhaps the pregnancy curve ball for Howard and Bernie's marriage will be some doubts about fertility. I'm not a fan of such a serious matter in a sitcom but it has been done.

ionee24

[5]May 11, 2012
    • level: 32
    Best Season finale for the entire Night!

day-O

[6]May 11, 2012
    • level: 18

antdude wrote:
    It needs more geeky/nerdy stuff!
    You clearly have not been watching enough then. In last week's episode, Leo did an experiment with sulfur hexafluoride gas. Two episodes before that, Sheldon presented a paper to Stephen Hawking. The episode before that, he and Leo got vintage Star Trek transporter toys. The episode before that, the guys had a weekend Star Wars gaming marathon. A few episodes before that, Sheldon was working with Amy in the bio lab.

I don't care if they were funny or not. I am giving valid examples.

bennett10

[7]May 11, 2012
    • level: 4

I thought it was a good finally, but it could have been better.

shaw0077

[8]May 13, 2012
    • level: 1
    When they zoom out at the end of the show. Where is Mrs Wolowitz??

antdude

[9]May 21, 2012
    shaw0077 wrote:
    Hiding obviously!

No1Slayerette

[10]May 22, 2012
    • level: 9

Yeah, ever since Howard and Bernadette got engaged I was wondering how they were going to incorporate her into the wedding without her being seen. Having her sitting so far away was a lame idea in my opinion, surely they could have come up with something better?

I didn't think the episode was anything special, lots of cliched/ sentimental wedding stuff, but that is generally what sitcom weddings are. I'm annoyed Leonard and Penny have hit their rough patch already. And they're fighting over exactly the same thing that broke them up last time, Leonard being too emotionally ready, while Penny in emotionally stunned! I mean, we had to deal with all this two seasons ago, why must we go through the exact same thing again?

drudager

[11]May 23, 2012
    fanboy34 wrote:
    I'm thinking along similar lines that Sheldon and Amy have to be next up. Perhaps Amy will go full on whacko and borrow some Sheldon DNA and grow herself a baby genius without his umm direct input. Raj's man-love for his buddy Howard will simply widen to include Bernadette and he'll just be a secondary third-wheel in their marriage along with Howie's Ma. Penny only needs to feel a bit less secure about Leonard's affections to push herself back into line, but, there's lots of time yet for them. Perhaps the pregnancy curve ball for Howard and Bernie's marriage will be some doubts about fertility. I'm not a fan of such a serious matter in a sitcom but it has been done.

Poor Sheldon. And FYI in general: babies kill sitcoms. It is a perpetual Jump the Shark predicament. I wish that original site was still around, it had a whole bunch of examples of shows that lost it in desperation.

No1Slayerette

[12]May 24, 2012
    • level: 9

I'm not sure of the site to which you are referring, but there's this one called TV Tropes that is worth a good look if your a television fan, highlighting and listing commonly used tropes or occurrences in television (as well as film, literature, music, video games etc.). Here is a short snippet of what it has to say about babies = jumping the shark:

A baby isadded to an otherwise adult showwhere ill-suited addition of childish themes andendless babytalkfrom characters who were once-intelligent speaking adults fatally alters the character dynamic.

It's worth a look, and is a pretty funny site too.

MJPollard

[13]May 24, 2012
    • level: 5

shaw0077 wrote:

She's in the lower right-hand corner, wearing red; Mr. and Mrs.(?) Rostenkowski are at the bottom.

drudager

[14]May 24, 2012
    No1Slayerette wrote:

I'm not sure of the site to which you are referring, but there's this one called TV Tropes that is worth a good look if your a television fan, highlighting and listing commonly used tropes or occurrences in television (as well as film, literature, music, video games etc.). Here is a short snippet of what it has to say about babies = jumping the shark:

A baby isadded to an otherwise adult showwhere ill-suited addition of childish themes andendless babytalkfrom characters who were once-intelligent speaking adults fatally alters the character dynamic.

It's worth a look, and is a pretty funny site too.

That's basically the way jumpedtheshark.com used to be (albeit just TV-focused) before TV Guide bought it & turned it into a mere shadow of its former self. Use to have lots of categories, well-documented references, fan input. It was really handy. Then the site owner sold it about 4 years ago. The funniest section was the Ted McGinley theory that he destroyed sitcoms. Tho in retrospect, even he couldn't kill Married With Children.

wolfinga

[15]Jul 27, 2012
    • level: 3

I'm not sure I like where the show is going. The last episodes of the last season were all about relationships, very little nerdy/geeky stuff. To me it's very similar to Friends (with Geeks), which is not what the show has always been about. Episodes that totally killed me like the time machine one, or when Sheldon goes to university as a laptop have become rarer.

I'm very eager to see this next season, but I'm afraid of what I'll see.

antdude

[16]Sep 28, 2012
    day-O wrote:

antdude wrote:
    It needs more geeky/nerdy stuff!
    You clearly have not been watching enough then. In last week's episode, Leo did an experiment with sulfur hexafluoride gas. Two episodes before that, Sheldon presented a paper to Stephen Hawking. The episode before that, he and Leo got vintage Star Trek transporter toys. The episode before that, the guys had a weekend Star Wars gaming marathon. A few episodes before that, Sheldon was working with Amy in the bio lab.

I don't care if they were funny or not. I am giving valid examples.

I was talking about the season finale.

antdude

[17]Sep 28, 2012
    wolfinga wrote:

I'm not sure I like where the show is going. The last episodes of the last season were all about relationships, very little nerdy/geeky stuff. To me it's very similar to Friends (with Geeks), which is not what the show has always been about. Episodes that totally killed me like the time machine one, or when Sheldon goes to university as a laptop have become rarer.

I'm very eager to see this next season, but I'm afraid of what I'll see.

Yeah, I am like you.

fanboy34

[18]Nov 1, 2012
    • level: 11

drudager wrote:
    fanboy34 wrote:
    Poor Sheldon. And FYI in general: babies kill sitcoms. It is a perpetual Jump the Shark predicament. I wish that original site was still around, it had a whole bunch of examples of shows that lost it in desperation.

It's a Catch 22 though when you're dealing with couples of that age group. Either they start talking about a planned family or about why they are NOT having one, which is what I was suggesting for Howard/Bernadette. The Amy/Sheldon thing could be played for laughs for several episodes without ever producing an actual child.

As others have noted, the original JTS site is sadly missed and TVTropes is a bit finicky about user input without becoming any more of an authority for all their rules. BoneTheFish is kind of like the original Shark but from waaay back in the day before good web design. Give it a look though, if you were a JTS user.

Back on topic, TBBT is already in year six so the writers could start to allow for an exit storyline (or two) that includes parenthood for at least one couple. If they don't move forward like Howard/Bernadette, it just becomes circular like Leonard/Penny. Do we really need to see an endless loop of make up then break up for years to come? Nine or ten years is still a very long run for a sitcom. If it's wrapping up anyway, why not do the having-a-baby story lines? There need not be a baby to "kill" the comedy until the final year.