The Big Bang Theory Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official Episode Discussion Thread --> "The Roommate Transmogrification&

  • Avatar of that70sshow2000

    that70sshow2000

    [21]May 21, 2011
    • member since: 12/19/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 2,049

    I can picture the s5 premiere as Prya seeing Penny and Raj clearly bothers Leonard and goes back to India early. Penny, seeing this, thinks that Leonard is going to come back to her/admit his feelings. I can see a scene with Penny "practicing" a convo with Leonard like "Im so sorry for what I did, but honestly I think I did what I did bc I was just so overwhelmed when I found out you and Prya moved in together. Leonard, for the past year Ive seen us as having the door open to getting back together...but when I found out about you and Prya I saw the door closing and that was overwhelming because... because I love you, Leonard." But instead he says how mad/surprised/disappointed he is, never thinking she'd sleep with one of his best friends. I can see Leonard saying something like "you never did love me did you? Before I thought you just weren't ready to say it or just weren't quite there yet, but obviously you never cared or respected me." Then the obvious Leonard and Raj tension. Probably some jokes from Howard how Raj got Penny in bed and can't tal to her yet it took Leonard 3 years. I for one am very excited for s5. The shows been shaked up and we are going to see new dynamics in s5. Can't wait!

    Edited on 05/21/2011 9:09am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bronbrons27

    bronbrons27

    [22]May 21, 2011
    • member since: 06/11/09
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,727
    that70sshow2000 wrote:

    I can picture the s5 premiere as Prya seeing Penny and Raj clearly bothers Leonard and goes back to India early. Penny, seeing this, thinks that Leonard is going to come back to her/admit his feelings. I can see a scene with Penny "practicing" a convo with Leonard like "Im so sorry for what I did, but honestly I think I did what I did bc I was just so overwhelmed when I found out you and Prya moved in together. Leonard, for the past year Ive seen us as having the door open to getting back together...but when I found out about you and Prya I saw the door closing and that was overwhelming because... because I love you, Leonard." But instead he says how mad/surprised/disappointed he is, never thinking she'd sleep with one of his best friends. I can see Leonard saying something like "you never did love me did you? Before I thought you just weren't ready to say it or just weren't quite there yet, but obviously you never cared or respected me." Then the obvious Leonard and Raj tension. Probably some jokes from Howard how Raj got Penny in bed and can't tal to her yet it took Leonard 3 years. I for one am very excited for s5. The shows been shaked up and we are going to see new dynamics in s5. Can't wait!

    I completely agree. And the Season 5 premiere idea that you explained, I can definitely see happening as well. Plus I think Leonard and Raj tension would be good, those two hardly ever fight.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of johnmarlena422

    johnmarlena422

    [23]May 22, 2011
    • member since: 08/27/08
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,982
    I actually got more of a Ross/Rachel flashback...Not relationship wise God don't make Raj/Penny an actual couple..but just the one nighter part where Ross and Rachel wake up in bed together after their drunken night in Vegas trying to figure out if they had done the deed or not LOL
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seb1925

    seb1925

    [24]May 23, 2011
    • member since: 05/14/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 16
    Penny being like Rachel? Yes, why not?

    But why on earth is Raj like Joey?

    If anything, this would be Rachel/Gunther, the one thing Friends didn't do!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of johnmarlena422

    johnmarlena422

    [25]May 23, 2011
    • member since: 08/27/08
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,982
    seb1925 wrote:
    Penny being like Rachel? Yes, why not?

    But why on earth is Raj like Joey?

    If anything, this would be Rachel/Gunther, the one thing Friends didn't do!


    I think they were just referencing Rach/Joey in the situation of a random hookup
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of that70sshow2000

    that70sshow2000

    [26]May 23, 2011
    • member since: 12/19/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 2,049
    ^even so...

    Joey and rachel were not random. That story went from season 8 to season 10 essentially. Joey firsst fell in love with rachel and then in s9 rachel fell for joey after joey had moved on. Then s10 they went dated for 2 episodes.

    I don't see any similarities between that and penny/raj.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bronbrons27

    bronbrons27

    [27]May 23, 2011
    • member since: 06/11/09
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,727
    ^^ Agreed. I definitely see it as more of a Rachel/Gunther scenario, like seb1925 said, IF Friends had done that of course.
    I don't really see many similarities to the Rachel/Joey storyline at all, other than the fact that Raj is Penny's ex-boyfriend (Leonard)'s friend, same as Joey was Ross's friend.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of johnmarlena422

    johnmarlena422

    [28]May 23, 2011
    • member since: 08/27/08
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,982
    I don't know to me Rachel/Joey always felt random no matter the duration or build up. It wasn't so much about how long it lasted, it still felt forced to me but that's jmho.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of that70sshow2000

    that70sshow2000

    [29]May 24, 2011
    • member since: 12/19/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 2,049
    ^Joey/Rach feeling "forced" is not the debate here at all. BronBron is right. Gunther/Rach is a lot more appropriate comparison to Penny/Raj. Like Raj to Penny, Gunther could never really speak to Rachel either--at least not much.

    But as Bron said, G/R never did hook up so this whole thread is moot as TBBT did not pull anything that Friends did.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of that70sshow2000

    that70sshow2000

    [30]May 24, 2011
    • member since: 12/19/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 2,049
    LOL I thought I was in "Aand TBBT just Joey and Rachel'd itself" thread LOL.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of johnmarlena422

    johnmarlena422

    [31]May 25, 2011
    • member since: 08/27/08
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,982
    LOL Umm I didn't say that was the debate I was just making a comment if that's okay..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gmx13

    gmx13

    [32]May 25, 2011
    • member since: 09/28/08
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 390
    Man I wish I could just un-see this entire episode. Just awful for a finale.

    Writers might have even ruined the Penny character for me. I like the Raj character but his fascination of hooking up with his friends chicks is just blah.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stylecutter

    stylecutter

    [33]May 26, 2011
    • member since: 01/08/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 347

    Raj-Penny hooking up is like Gunther-Rachel?? I dont think he ever has had any feelings for Penny. It's more like Gunther and Monica

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chicamusica12

    chicamusica12

    [34]May 26, 2011
    • member since: 01/11/09
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 630
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    ^^ Agreed. I definitely see it as more of a Rachel/Gunther scenario, like seb1925 said, IF Friends had done that of course.
    I don't really see many similarities to the Rachel/Joey storyline at all, other than the fact that Raj is Penny's ex-boyfriend (Leonard)'s friend, same as Joey was Ross's friend.


    Raj was never Penny's boyfriend, just a random hookup.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bronbrons27

    bronbrons27

    [35]May 28, 2011
    • member since: 06/11/09
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,727
    chicamusica12 wrote:
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    ^^ Agreed. I definitely see it as more of a Rachel/Gunther scenario, like seb1925 said, IF Friends had done that of course.
    I don't really see many similarities to the Rachel/Joey storyline at all, other than the fact that Raj is Penny's ex-boyfriend (Leonard)'s friend, same as Joey was Ross's friend.


    Raj was never Penny's boyfriend, just a random hookup.
    I didn't say he was, I just said that Penny used to date Leonard and Raj and Leonard are friends, same as Rachel used to date Ross and Ross and Joey are friends. And that that's the only similarity I see with Joey vs. Raj scenario.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seb1925

    seb1925

    [36]Jun 5, 2011
    • member since: 05/14/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 16

    Indeed.


    As for Raj having feelings for Penny ... he's become an 'anything that moves' sort of character, especially after Howard settled down and left the post vacant. Still, remember when she first hugged him (S1E02) or when he wanted them to 'suck face' on the Charlie Sheen episode (S2, IIRC). Sure, they're not feelings, but it wasn't too out of the blue either.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Alpha1Male

    Alpha1Male

    [37]Jun 6, 2011
    • member since: 02/07/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 52

    I'm sorry, but anybody who actually liked what they did in the episode have to be off their rockers because that finale was a steaming pile of crap. I HATE when shows go with the norm on sitcoms. Things like, "Will they or won't they?," "The female interest dating around while the male sulks," "Waiting until the end of the series to finally put them together," and finally "Sleeping with one of the others friends....and yet it will be okay because they will still end up together and fans will forget because hey fans are stupid!"


    Writers in movies and television have gotten to the point that they think they know what we want more than we do, and do you know what happens? IT RUINS THE SHOW! They're not being "edgy" by doing this! If anything they are adhering to the norm now in sitcoms....which is so depressing I may cry.


    So the season finale is over, and if Penny and Raj did do it then we now have a few things we have learned:


    1.) Penny is kind-of a tramp or she's so emotionally damaged that she can't really think things through before doing them.


    2.) Raj now went from the "semi-innocent" and "sweet" one to a d-bag in one episode. I've seen this thing happen before, and those friendships die quickly and for good reason. No friend, however the circumstance, is an actual "friend" if they do that to their buddy. It's an age-old unwritten rule that you NEVER date someone your friend was seeing UNLESS the friend says it's okay.


    3.) Leonard's character was the proverbial "punching bag" basically this entire season. Not the best way to make the main male character look good. Also, who would blame him if he didn't really ever want to be with Penny again?


    4.) Big Bang Theory is becoming cliche



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Samuel2484

    Samuel2484

    [38]Jun 8, 2011
    • member since: 01/07/09
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,097

    Alpha1Male wrote:


    I'm sorry, but anybody who actually liked what they did in the episode have to be off their rockers because that finale was a steaming pile of crap. I HATE when shows go with the norm on sitcoms. Things like, "Will they or won't they?," "The female interest dating around while the male sulks," "Waiting until the end of the series to finally put them together," and finally "Sleeping with one of the others friends....and yet it will be okay because they will still end up together and fans will forget because hey fans are stupid!"


    Writers in movies and television have gotten to the point that they think they know what we want more than we do, and do you know what happens? IT RUINS THE SHOW! They're not being "edgy" by doing this! If anything they are adhering to the norm now in sitcoms....which is so depressing I may cry.


    So the season finale is over, and if Penny and Raj did do it then we now have a few things we have learned:


    1.) Penny is kind-of a tramp or she's so emotionally damaged that she can't really think things through before doing them.


    2.) Raj now went from the "semi-innocent" and "sweet" one to a d-bag in one episode. I've seen this thing happen before, and those friendships die quickly and for good reason. No friend, however the circumstance, is an actual "friend" if they do that to their buddy. It's an age-old unwritten rule that you NEVER date someone your friend was seeing UNLESS the friend says it's okay.


    3.) Leonard's character was the proverbial "punching bag" basically this entire season. Not the best way to make the main male character look good. Also, who would blame him if he didn't really ever want to be with Penny again?


    4.) Big Bang Theory is becoming cliche





    Completely agree. It felt lazy to make penny and raj sleep together. This season wasn't exciting at all, Leonard and Raj's sister (I forget her name) were so boring I seriously hope that they break up soon. Can we go outside of theapartmentsfor f^ck sake? The entire show isconcealed inside about 3 apartments, therestaurant, the comic book store, and the university, I wanna get outside! Almost every episode is locked in one of the sets I have already explained, the show needs moredepth, the show's world doesn't seem real to me because it's always in doors!


    The writers need to do something with Raj to A) Make him interesting again and B) Make us forgive him. Penny is annoying anyone with a brain would tell Leonard how they feel let alone they wouldn't sleep with Raj. Leonard, stop being pushed around and stick the f^ck up for yourself. All Leonard has been is (like you said) a punching bag! Sheldon...meh same as ever. But seriously 'The Big Bang Theory' is falling down one deep a$$ hole and it needs to be fixed up before all the fans including myself have given up on it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lovephantom00

    Lovephantom00

    [39]Jun 11, 2011
    • member since: 05/19/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 3
    I loved this show when it started because it wasn't common, and the main characters were total losers... but now Leonard has been in bed with more than 3 or 4 women, Howard has a total miss perfect girl and the even Raj had somethin with Penny... and the guys aren't so nerds as in season 1, looks like this is becoming in a total cliche sitcom with friends in love between each other, and the only one with the essence from the beggining is Sheldon
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [40]Jul 15, 2011
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    I didn't like Priya, but at least it was something or someone Leonard had to get Penny jealous of - until everything with Raj, which kind of, ruined it in my opinion. I hope Leonard and Penny get back in Season 5.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.