The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Penny an alcoholic?

AsthildurTeitsd

[1]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 4

Seriously, love the show, but this season especially I feel that Penny┬┤s character is mostly in the background getting drunk.

anyone else noticed this/annoyed by this?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Adokensan

[2]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 10
    Yep, it's getting a little annoying. But i think the writers toned it down a bit in the latest episode, if I remember it correctly.

SusanMooney

[3]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 1

I agree with you. Penny seems to be getting shoved into the back. What's the deal???? I think they need to put Leonard and Penny back together again. They haven't even put her with anyone else this whole season. what are they trying to do to her? If they take Penny out of there it's going to destroy the show. Why is it that they always feel it's necessare to make changes that none of the fans want . The reason the show is a hit is that the fans love it the way It was in the beginnning. But they never will leave a good show alone,are they trying to make a great comedy into a drama?

Howard317

[4]Dec 31, 2011
    • level: 6

Yes it is annoying but I think they are doing it for a reason. Leonard is the male focus of the show as they mentiones in the Toast Derivative- Penny is the female which is why the other 2 follow here lead. I have a feeling that her problem with drinking will be resolved. I also think they may fine something fir Raj as well. Remember in the episode where Sheldon gives Amy the "girlfriend agreement". Amy says she bought wine like Penny taught her to do when you are sad. Also since it was proven that the placedbo effect works on Raj- in Terminator Decoupling- there should be away to help him as well. Although as fans we do not want them to lose all the quirks but making 2 of the principles alcoholics is a bit sad.

Fekul_the_Baby

[5]Jan 1, 2012
    • level: 15

She's also a bit of a slut ("The Robotic Manipulation"), though she'd deny it. She has also had several brushes with the law (including a brother who is a meth addict).

rphjose

[6]Jan 1, 2012
    • level: 4

Fekul_the_Baby wrote:
    She has also had several brushes with the law (including a brother who is a meth addict).

I don't remember that SHE has had problems with the law. Her brother and her exboyfriend Kurt did, and she paid their fine/bail, but she wasn't involved.

Jasmine_

[7]Jan 1, 2012
    • level: 9
    Fekul_the_Baby wrote:

She's also a bit of a slut ("The Robotic Manipulation"), though she'd deny it. She has also had several brushes with the law (including a brother who is a meth addict).

Yeah, I don't get why people are making such a deal out of alcoholic Penny. She's an adorable character, but keep in mind that she's always been a problematic girl too, doing things such as drinking a lot and being a slut. The only reason why she toned it down for a while was because she felt in love with Leonard and they started dating - she was happy, so she had no reason to drink a lot anymore. The drinking thing came back after the break up, cause she is obviously still in love with him. As someone stated before, Penny drinks when she's sad, so I'm sure this will end when she and Leonard get back together - which I'm sure they will do ^^

Fekul_the_Baby

[8]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 15

She did get a traffic ticket in "The Excelsior Acquisition", and mentions it isn't her first. And twice in this episode she gets Sheldon in trouble, first for the traffic violation, then the restraining order from Stan Lee. It isn't said if she is also named in the court document, but she did flee the scene.

BrianKeane

[9]Jan 4, 2014
    • level: 1

I have noticed that on "The Big Bang Theory" the women drink and I never saw any hint of other drug use like with the other show 2 Half Men. Penny always grabs that wine and pours herself a glass to calm down. This sends a message to younger viewers. I was chastised my hundreds of people magazine followers last month explaining this to the bloggers. My Uncle was extreme alcoholic. He needed no excuse to go after the bottle.

Romano338

[10]Jan 5, 2014
    • level: 8
    It's like that in so many shows.
    I don't know, maybe they think a person drinking all the time is funny. Or maybe it's a way to occupy them and don't just standing while talking.

skbrettbug

[11]Jan 5, 2014
    • level: 19
    Romano338 wrote:
    It's like that in so many shows.
    I don't know, maybe they think a person drinking all the time is funny. Or maybe it's a way to occupy them and don't just standing while talking.

Absolutely. It also adds to the fact that she is the polar opposite of Sheldon (no drinking->big drinker)

MsOrange1

[12]Jan 28, 2014
    • level: 7

Penny reaching for a bottle has become quite predictable, but I've always debated about whether she's officially an alcoholic.

skbrettbug

[13]Feb 8, 2014
    • level: 19

MsOrange1 wrote:

Penny reaching for a bottle has become quite predictable, but I've always debated about whether she's officially an alcoholic.

I would say she isn't