The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Raj

that70sshow2000

[1]Feb 24, 2011
    • level: 15

Having Raj be able to talk to Penny will provide for more jokes and storyline opportunities over continuing the 3.5 year joke of him not being able to talk to her unless he's drunk.

Now that we are nearing the end of the season, now's a perfect time for this to happen that can lead into season 5.

Have an episode where Raj starts talking to Penny naturally. Everyone looks confused and asks if he's drunk/been drinking. He says no. Lots of joke opportunities with this alone. Also have some hot girl enter and Raj becomes shy and mute around her. The gang looks more bewildered. Penny then gets bummed out because her looks have faded in a way (not physically of course) and Raj now only sees her as "one of the guys." Her looks have no control of him anymore.

BUT as the hot girl entering shows, he is still shy and mute around hot girls, so that quality doesn't go away; just now he is confortable with Penny and doesn't see her as that hot girl, but as a friend/group member. Best of both worlds; creating Penny/Raj interaction finally but still have him mute around hot girls he doesn't know or not know well.

That makes it more realistic too, since he doesn't lose that shyness/mute quality around hot girls. It's just now it's been a few years he doesn't see Penny that way anymore.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TochiOpara

[2]Mar 1, 2011
    • level: 2
    Very good idea. I've been saying this as well for some time because frankly, it's getting a bit boring ergo annoying for me.

IAmsterdam

[3]Mar 1, 2011
    • level: 7

This is indeed a nice idea. Then also there is a deviation from the "Raj-Holowitz are closet-gay" thing that keeps brooding, as he could be having more relationships than trying to anoy Sheldon or just be near-invisible to Leonard.

It would also be congruent with the fact that he DOES talk directly to his 'kid' sister. So he certainly could talk to Penny if she is enough of a non-mate to her!

There also could be an introduction to one Pryah's indian colleagues, and see that he can speak to her aswell!

leesha_27

[4]Mar 29, 2011
    • level: 17
    I love this idea, I think it would be a really good way to get Raj talking, besides after 4 seasons you would think he'd finally be able to talk to a woman that he's been around quite a lot. I love the idea that he just randomly starts talking to her and everyone is confused, that in itself would bring enough jokes up and it would apply to Penny fearing she's lost her looks and that he doesn't see her as hot anymore.

jekyll

[5]Apr 9, 2011
    • level: 86

There might be a solution in the offing. The press release for the May 5 episode in part states "Raj attempts to cure his social anxiety disorder". I suspect he won't succeed or decide talking to women isn't worth the trouble, but we'll see.

that70sshow2000

[6]Apr 9, 2011
    • level: 15
    ^But see I'm not saying they should totally eliminate the element of not being able to talk to hot girls -- just Penny, bc he's known her for awhile now.