The Big Bang Theory Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Should Amy and Sheldon break up?

rphjose

[1]Jan 9, 2013
    • level: 4

When Amy was introduced, she seemed perfect for Sheldon: she didn't like physical contact, alcohol and even liked to watch the movies Sheldon loved. Now she's become so different that I can't see what Sheldon likes about her, she's smart but so is Leslie Winkle, Alex and many other women he must know from the university. On the other hand, Amy seems desperate to have sex and a boyfriend who is willing to drink and party with her, so I don't know why she hasn't dumped Sheldon when Stewart is willing to please her.

What do you guys think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Glennen

[2]Jan 9, 2013
    • level: 17

I think, she, as well as the other characters to varying degrees, has evolved. Think about it,

Howard turned from a creep to a loving husband who moved out of his mothers home.

Penny turned from a rather promiscuous girl to a woman who seems to finally come to grips about her feelings towards Leonar (she told him that she loved him, even if it was more of an accident)

Sheldon would never have taken care of a sick person in the first seasons.

Leonard has become a more grown up man who isn't extremly shy around pretty girls anymore.

And Amy went from the girl you described who developed more feelings for Sheldon and since she hangs out with Penny she has developed too (might be the alcohol ^^)

The only one who hasn't evolved is Raj. I'm getting tired of his no-talking-to-women-without-alcohol. _He should be able to talk to the girls of the group without alcohol, like he's seeing them as some form of family (he can talk to his mother and sister without drinking first) Just my thoughts ^^

Edited on 01/09/2013 3:15pm

evilmokey16

[4]Jan 13, 2013
    • level: 3
    Glennen wrote:

The only one who hasn't evolved is Raj. I'm getting tired of his no-talking-to-women-without-alcohol. _He should be able to talk to the girls of the group without alcohol, like he's seeing them as some form of family (he can talk to his mother and sister without drinking first) Just my thoughts ^^

I believe in "The Santa Simulation" when Rajs character dies he asks Penny to join the girls night without drinking alcohol. I know its not a big dnm or anything but I think he can speak to them they just don't touch on it much. But I do agree with you that he character needs to advance in some way. He used to be a favorite of mine but hes getting a little predicable and boring.

Glennen

[5]Jan 14, 2013
    evilmokey16 wrote:
    Glennen wrote:

I believe in "The Santa Simulation" when Rajs character dies he asks Penny to join the girls night without drinking alcohol. I know its not a big dnm or anything but I think he can speak to them they just don't touch on it much. But I do agree with you that he character needs to advance in some way. He used to be a favorite of mine but hes getting a little predicable and boring.

Actually in that episode, there was a bottle of beer in front of him on the table. So it's implied that he had alcohol.

rphjose

[6]Jan 16, 2013
    Glennen wrote:

I think, she, as well as the other characters to varying degrees, has evolved. Think about it,

I agree she has evolved, the thing is that because of this evolution, she no longer seems compatible with Sheldon, so it seems strange that they're still together.

Glennen wrote:

Maybe, although the way I see it, and he said so in the episode, he agreed to that clause in the Relationship Agreement for selfish reasons, to force Amy to take care of him if he was sick.

vampman87

[7]Jan 16, 2013
    Glennen wrote:

Maybe, although the way I see it, and he said so in the episode, he agreed to that clause in the Relationship Agreement for selfish reasons, to force Amy to take care of him if he was sick.[/QUOTE]

Sheldon took care of Penny in the 3rd season when she dislocated her arm. He kind of sucked at it, but there was a cute moment where the two of them sang "Soft Kitty" together.

vampman87

[8]Jan 16, 2013
    vampman87 wrote:
    Glennen wrote:

Sheldon took care of Penny in the 3rd season when she dislocated her arm. He kind of sucked at it, but there was a cute moment where the two of them sang "Soft Kitty" together.[/QUOTE]

vampman87

[9]Jan 16, 2013
    [QUOTE="vampman87"]
    vampman87 wrote:
    Glennen wrote:

Sheldon took care of Penny in the 3rd season when she dislocated her arm. He kind of sucked at it, but there was a cute moment where the two of them sang "Soft Kitty" together.

Glennen

[10]Jan 18, 2013

vampman87 wrote:
    Maybe, although the way I see it, and he said so in the episode, he agreed to that clause in the Relationship Agreement for selfish reasons, to force Amy to take care of him if he was sick.

vampman87 wrote:

True, but he sang soft-kitty because Penny was obnoxious while on pain medication and even told him he won't leave him alone until he sings.

And with the Amy thing, although he said that it was a trick so she would take care of him, he also said that she is his girlfriend and he cares about her well-being.

Marshalleetime

[11]Oct 4, 2013
    • level: 1

Sheldon as well as Penny seem to be very independent characters. They also seemed to end up with very needy insecure partners. Penny is living alone and prefers it that way but ends up dating the very needy Leonard. Leonard lived alone before Leonard and is a very picky roommate. I believe that Penny and Sheldon can not really do very great in relationships since they are very focused on themselves. They do take care of the people they are with but sometimes are not always there for their partners. A lot of times they Penny/sheldon will do things for their partner out of obligation but not because they really care they just know they are suppose to. There is a reason Amy changed so much from when she met Sheldon. Amy was incredibly intelligent and focused on science but only for the reason she did not have the option of drinking and fooling around when she was a child. Sheldon simply did not want to and never had such desires but Amy always wanted to be one of the girls and wanted someone to care about her. So these two relationships has a independent character that attracted a needy one. I do think Amy and Sheldon should break up since Sheldon dislikes physical contact but when they did originally sheldon began collecting cats out of depression. Sheldon also admitted in an episode to Penny that he might eventually get intimate with Amy and Amy seems very patient. I do however think Sheldon personality would be better complimented by Penny. Which I think Sheldon and Penny are a better pair than Amy and Sheldon.

skbrettbug

[12]Oct 8, 2013
    • level: 19
    Yes. Sheldon should stay single, imo that was how he was meant to be.

Yaspaa

[14]Oct 11, 2013
    • level: 79
    Winkle loves Sheldon?

SHUCKLEMAN

[15]Oct 11, 2013
    • level: 11
    Amy NEEDS Sheldon, that's why she won't break up with him.

Sheldon is the reason Amy is involved in their social group. Amy has finally got what she desired her entire life, a "cool" friend in Penny. Even if Sheldon won't have a sexual relationship with her, I think she still recognizes how much she's gained from the relationship, and she doesn't want to break up with Sheldon and risk losing the only friends she's ever had. That's the way I see it anyway.

Romano338

[18]Oct 18, 2013
    • level: 8
    I guess last episodes puts an end to the no feelings from Sheldon toward Amy...

SHUCKLEMAN

[19]Oct 18, 2013
    • level: 11
    There were episodes before that strongly suggested that Sheldon had feelings of some sort towards Amy (more than he has towards most other humans apart from his mother, grandmother, etc.). Like there was the episode in season 4 when he missed Amy so much that he replaced her with a load of cats, and then an episode in season 5 where Leonard said he had fun at a wedding with Amy (and that his groin was a little worse for wear lol) and Sheldon hit him and said "She's not for you". Probably other examples as well.

Romano338

[20]Oct 18, 2013
    • level: 8
    Yes there definitely was a few