The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Something that dosen't make any sense to me.

Kadodian

[1]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 23

Okay, I just finished season 1 and I can honestly say that I enjoyed it.

It's not as good as How I met your mother, Friends and other sitcoms but it's enjoyable and has a variety of likeable characters.

Okay so what I find weird and unrealistic. You know how Leonard and Sheldon are roommates. They're both scientists and researchers or whatever but you know how in the episode " The grasshopper effect " Raj's father talks about their low pay and how they are scientists who don't get a high payment or something and then theres this other joke about them living together or something.

Okay so if they, two scientists, can't afford to live alone. How can Penny ?

I mean I'm not trying to be rude to waitresses or anything but it just dosen't make any sense.

Two medical researchers can't afford an appartment that big but a waitress can ?

Maybe this will have a better explanation in the future but I just find it extremely odd.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bronbrons27

[2]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 14
    I find it pretty odd as well, it's just like on Friends, half the characters on that show couldn't actually afford to live in New York City with the careers they have either, if it was really life.

I'd say that Sheldon and Leonard definitely make enough money, since they're both university professors and scientists, I also thought they got paid a lot, but yeah Penny not so much...

I guess Penny can probably afford it because her apartment is like half the size of Sheldon and Leonard's, I suppose.

frostbite200

[3]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 21
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    I guess Penny can probably afford it because her apartment is like half the size of Sheldon and Leonard's, I suppose.
    That actually makes sense, i'd never actually considered that.

that70sshow2000

[4]Apr 11, 2011
    • level: 15
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    I find it pretty odd as well, it's just like on Friends, half the characters on that show couldn't actually afford to live in New York City with the careers they have either, if it was really life.

I'd say that Sheldon and Leonard definitely make enough money, since they're both university professors and scientists, I also thought they got paid a lot, but yeah Penny not so much...

Yes. Keep in mind that Penny has a 1 bdrm while LS have a 2...maybe even 3, is there a guest room?I know Sheldon and guest rm don't go together but I just mean an "extra" rm.

Anyway, I definitely think people focus too much sometimes on little details like this.

Just b/c its never said if Penny pays her way 100%. Maybe her dad helps her out at lease some months? Unless its been said in the script that she receives no help, then any guess can be true.

Oh and I've never got all the fuss about HIMYM.

that70sshow2000

[5]Apr 11, 2011
    • level: 15
    frostbite200 wrote:
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    That actually makes sense, i'd never actually considered that.

Plus hers isn't just lesser bdrms, but the "family" room/main area size is a lot smaller too.

Also yes she might be "just a waitress" but look at the other factors. She is a server at The Cheesecake Factory which definitely has overall good tippers. She doesn't work at some ma and pop diner. Probably an even bigger factor is that she is a server is the LA area.

bronbrons27

[6]Apr 11, 2011
    ^^ Yeah Penny probably does make more as a waitress in LA than she would in a smaller city. Plus she can't completely afford it all the time anyway, there was an episode (season 2 I think) where Penny asks Sheldon to borrow some money.

doguineta

[7]Apr 12, 2011
    • level: 20
    I think Sheldon & Leonard make enough money. Remember the ep where Howard finds in a drawer uncashed paychecks? Sheldon didn't cash em cause he didn't need em yet.

Kudorigami

[8]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 5
    Also we don't know what Sheldon and Leonnard their spending pattern is beside the rent. They probably have a lot of subscriptins and buy a lot of collectibles and limited editions that are quite pricey.

RAPTURE052111

[9]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 2
    About Penny's tips in an LA Cheesecake Factory...I remember that one ep where they showed Charlier Sheen in the restaurant. Imahine that pimps tips!

blazecorp

[10]Apr 19, 2011

Very simple my dear Watson,

Look at the amount of computer and IT gear they have plus all the collectables and that they are living in a larger place. There you have it. And if you're wondering about the cost of collectables/IT gear....Im in a high paying job(not bragging) and Im a geek(not proud of it). The cost of my average run to the comic store each fortnight is $50 plus if I don't but collectables and only buy comics. Average collectable worth $299 and I have a ton of them, so I get why they share.

TB2890

[11]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 1

To answer your question... if you look at the two apartments, Penny's apartment is not nearly as large as Leonard and Sheldon's. Also, Penny has only one bedroom while Leonard and Sheldon have a two bedroom apartment. Therefore, with the extra bedroom, the rent would be higher for the two bedroom apartment than for Penny's single bedroom apartment.

Willick-Bunch

[12]Apr 20, 2011
    • level: 7

The rent is not the problem - it's the huge wardrobes. None of the characters could affort wearing several sets of new clothes in every episode. Especially Penny. Her clothes may contain less fabric but look very pricey.

But this isn't a problem only with TBBT, it'sthe same in every single sitcom on TV. How could Willy Tanner afford three kids and ALF on a social workers salary? How could Lilly and Marshal buy an New York apartment? How many damage have Malcolm and Reese caused every season? It's comey, not documentary.

Korassu

[13]Apr 20, 2011
    • level: 5
    As alot of people have already said, sitcoms can be a "bit" unrealistic. That said, here are a few points that are probably relevant to this discussion.

I don't believe Leonard ever said he couldn't afford an apartment by himself, just that the rent was "reasonable"(3rd or 4th season i believe).

I really don't think professors make much money from what ive heard, though in the episode where penny borrows money from sheldon, he did say his expenses are about 42% of his income. Honestly i find that pretty low even if he does have a roommate, with all his hobbies(comics and video games), going out to eat so often, and just all quirks of his that make life more difficult for everyone else, i can't believe his life could actually be that cheap, or that his pay could be that high.

Since alot of people bury themself in credit card debit, its really not a stretch to consider penny has done the same. In one episode she mentions one of her card being canceled and then says "yay, a new mastercard". Ontop of that, there have been a number of occasions where shes been broke, or trying not to spend money, for example not getting her car fixed despite the engine light being on. One episode penny owed Leonard for several things, he rattled off stuff like fast food, a tank of gas, and her rent, coming out to a grand total of $1400(i think), so her rent has to be lower then 1400. Theres even an episode or two where shes stealing wifi from sheldon and leonard. There is also an episode where she says she manages to get by without money cause shes cute, meaning she might be getting a decent amount of things from her boyfriends. Theres also mention of her getting leftovers from the cheesecake factor instead of going out to eat.

Does this add up? i have no clue, and have no intention of doing the math, but its something worth considering.

historylover20

[14]Apr 20, 2011
    • level: 28

I work in a Chemistry department in a Midwest university. Granted, in California, the cost of living is much higher. But, the lowest paid faculty member I work with gets around 60K a year. The highest paid professor gets around 125K a year.

Professors in the sciences get paid more than professors in the liberal arts.

And then you add gratuities for speaking engagements. One prof I work with is generally gone half the semester with speaking engagements all over the world. And, compared to what I make (hint: NOWHERE near what the faculty makes!), I could probably live comfortably on my salary + what they make for speaking engagements.

And, then there's publishing of papers, peer reviewing papers, any consulting work. All money in pocket. Or money for their research.

Science professors make a very nice living. At least here in the Midwest. And I have no doubt it's it same in California.

Now, Sheldon and Leonard aren't getting anywhere near 125K. I'd say they're getting around 75-80K. But, they would also publish papers (professorships basically mean Publish or Perish), we already know of two speaking engagements that Sheldon and Leonard have done, and I have no doubt that at least Leonard regularly does speaking engagements (Sheldon gets stage fright).

They make a nice living.

Kat

Keenasaay

[15]Apr 22, 2011

Maybe the size of the apartment is another factor maybe you . Penny's apt is smaller than the others.

OgunjimiAdewale

[16]Apr 22, 2011

Sheldon is not used to living alone: he cant drive, doesnt fit in any social aspect (the first roomate he had was from the university), he also put the apartment out for sharing @ the university people in his department....frankly, there's challenge, there's company and someone to either bully (his hobby) or someone to impose his will on....as the case is, penny occupies a one room apartment, which is very small (as you can see from the episode where she broke her arm and sheldon sang her (Soft kittie) whereas Sheldon mentioned that he has an Escape route in his own room (in the episode where Doctor Slut came to live with them), dunno where that is though...Both rooms hav one toilet and one bathroom (same size (penney from where she broke her arm, and leonard and sheldon where he brushed while priea flossed), the width of the living room is larger than penny's, plus penny doesnt have cable (As pointed out by Raj in the episode that Raj got drunk @ hers while avoiding the Sheamy), she hardly maintains her car (which is little too).... When it comes to details, i respect the BBT (Look at the episode where Leonard came up with the idea of an App and sheldon printed two mugs with World's greatest physicist and howard wolowitz...those were actuali inscribed in the mug).....reali dunno though

rphjose

[17]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 4

bronbrons27 wrote:
    ...since they're both university professors and scientists,...
    Actually, in the episode where Sheldon takes acting lessons it's implied that he doesn't teach/lecture students.

OgunjimiAdewale wrote:
    ...plus penny doesnt have cable (As pointed out by Raj in the episode that Raj got drunk @ hers while avoiding the Sheamy),...
    In the episode where she borrows money from Sheldon, Leonard points out that she does.

bronbrons27

[18]May 1, 2011
    rphjose wrote:
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    ...since they're both university professors and scientists,...
    Actually, in the episode where Sheldon takes acting lessons it's implied that he doesn't teach/lecture students.
    In the episode with Ramona is season 2, though, Sheldon and Leonard are seen lecturing at the start of the episode, but to a small group of grad students. I think Sheldon does give presentations to small groups, but is afraid of talking in front of large groups (like when he wins the award and has to give a speech in season 3).
    That really doesn't matter though, point is, they both have PHDs and are scientists at a university, therefore they make quite a lot of money.

AsadSaeed

[19]May 4, 2011
    Once you have watched more episodes you will find out that Penny is deeply indebted to Sheldon and Leonard.

That should explain a lot. Coz she initially took the apartment with dreams of becoming a glamourous actress..

tvdavid

[20]May 6, 2011
    • level: 8
    Leonard and Sheldon are not medical researchers or professors. They are research physicists at the sitcom version of CalTech. They seem to be fairly junior, so their salary would be around $50K each. Penny might make $25-30K.

It's possible that the apartments are rent-controlled, so Penny's rent may be below market.