The Big Bang Theory Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Storywise, what would you do to save the show?

Romano338

[1]Feb 9, 2014
    • level: 8

Maybe like me you think TBBT is going down big time, whether some stories are not evolving, or some others are evolving the wrong way. Sheldon and Amy are stuck in that non-relationship, and when Lorre attemps to make it evolve it's by going the wrong way to me (going into a real relationship). Sheldon is not a genius anymore, just a child or stupid character. Leonard/Penny is not evolving, they just sometimes bring back the on/off status. Howard is not really funny anymore, nothing really happens in his life and relationship. Raj became nothing, just a poor caricature. Maybe things will evolve after last episode but still.

What idea would you dig in to save the show and make it the way we used to love it?

I don't have a whole bunch.

I think maybe Amy should get tired of that relationship and make an ultimatum, or simply and friendly break up. So she may become available for Stuart, so maybe his life could evolve. Sheldon takes it good (in his way of not understanding why he should be sad because relationships aren't his thing), and go back to his genius mode. Maybe professor Gabelhauser could be back and put him on a big project, so we could focus on his genius. For the rest, I admit I don't have much to offer. I guess Lorre will make Bernadette pregnant soon, and that doesn't please me. Howard was way better alone, but you can't really make him break up (would be too much).Raj should go back to the old Raj, not this Paris Hilton-like character. He was freat and funny, despite not having a really developped life. Leonard/Penny, tough too. Not sure what future they could have and not go the way the show is going. Mariage? Not sure it would be a great idea. I don't know.

Anything?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ltcomstella

[2]Feb 14, 2014
    • level: 18

imho after most of this season being all about sheldon and even when it wasn't it somehow linked back to sheldon or he had some insight into something he has never done or wants to do.

sheldon needs to go for a few episodes, ( heck even when he 'left' to help is family with a pregnancy.. HE WAS STILL IN IT..) like howard went to space and leonard went to the pole, and he needs to stay out of the episodes,

imho this season has suffered from sheldons clear lack of thought for others feelings, his manipulation of amy and leonard and even having the stones to make them feel bad after he has played them by guilt and tricking them into doing his bidding.

i think the group needs a split for a few episodes, have them fight over something, or just move in together and have some 'ephinany' and come back together and be fun and interesting instead of stupid/goofy or a holes.

mnementh01

[3]Mar 14, 2014
    • level: 15
    Why does it need saving?

It's just been given ANOTHER three year run, unlike any other TV show.

Obviously they MUST be doing something right, whether you like it or not.

Romano338

[4]Mar 15, 2014
    • level: 8
    Yeah yeah
    That show needs saving from what it used to be. Whether you like it or not.

LizRowley

[5]Mar 21, 2014
    • level: 5

you know, R383, you might be right.

Amy is a great actress in her own right, and I've seen her in other shows. She's actually a very pretty lady, when she's not made up to downplay it.

And Sheldon is a character who should remain singular - he plays the genius sooo well, why not let him continue to do that? He doesn't fit with another person. They could have a friendly agreement to "just be friends" and he had a great breakthrough at work that would keep him busy during the show, while still one-upping everyone each episode. Meantime, Amy and the girls could go off to a "ladies-only" vacation, returningwith Amy doing a "Scruples-style" caterpillar to butterfly switchover on the trip. She would knock their socks off and could go on to that romance you were thinking of with the store keeper.

Meantime (I'm terrible with names) the little actress could decide to go to college instead and actually learn something that would get her intoa real profession - maybe she becomes a nurse and later a doctor. Then she and Leonard would have something more interesting to talk about when they are on the show.

Raj needs someone he can "save" from her situation - a young girl he can "mentor" would be nice. From his situation with his dog, you can see that his character truly needs someone to care for andhe also needs to start expanding into an adult in the show as well.

I think this show has lots of great possibilities - the writers just need to sit down, relax, and come up with a plan.......which I'm sure they already have, we just aren't "privvy" to it....chuckle....

:^)

LizRowley

[6]Mar 21, 2014
    • level: 5

you know, R383, you might be right.

Amy is a great actress in her own right, and I've seen her in other shows. She's actually a very pretty lady, when she's not made up to downplay it.

And Sheldon is a character who should remain singular - he plays the genius sooo well, why not let him continue to do that? He doesn't fit with another person. They could have a friendly agreement to "just be friends" and he could have a great breakthrough at work that would keep him busy during the show, while still one-upping everyone each episode.

Meantime, Amy and the girls could go off to a "ladies-only" vacation, returningwith Amy doing a "Scruples-style" caterpillar to butterfly switchover on the trip. She would knock their socks off and could go on to that romance you were thinking of with the store keeper.

The little actress, Leonard's girlfriend (I'm terrible with names), could decide to go to college instead and actually learn something that would get her intoa real profession - maybe she becomes a nurse and later a doctor, or a "counselor" and later a psychiatrist. Then she and Leonard would have something more interesting to talk about when they are on the show.

Raj needs someone he can "save" from her situation - a young girl he can "mentor" would be nice. From his situation with his dog, you can see that his character truly needs someone to care for andhe also needs to start expanding into an adult in the show as well.

I think this show has lots of great possibilities - the writers just need to sit down, relax, and come up with a plan.......which I'm sure they already have, we just aren't "privvy" to it....chuckle....

:^)

skbrettbug

[7]Mar 30, 2014
    • level: 19
    Truth is this show has turned into a soap opera. To me it's not funny anymore but the fact that it's all about the love and the fact that Raj can't find any is a major turnoff.

Glennen

[8]Apr 23, 2014
    • level: 17
    The thing is, you can't really bring the old Sheldon back because it would throw years of character development out the window. And every show is about character development. I'm sure, if all those guys were still the same they were in the first season, you'd complain too...

One thing they should ABSOLUTELY NOT do, is break up Leonard and Penny. Because if they did that, this relationship would pretty much turn into Ross/Rachel from Friends. Just less funny

snake63

[9]May 9, 2014
    • level: 20

There is nothing storywise that can save the show. TBBT is suffering from what kills all shows and that is age.

stevex

[10]May 15, 2014
    • level: 6
    snake63 wrote:

There is nothing storywise that can save the show. TBBT is suffering from what kills all shows and that is age.

While this series (and most of series 4 & 5) tends to make me agree with you, I still hold our hope that they can bring it back from the precipice - mainly because I was expecting so little from series 6 and that was so much better than the previous two series (and that part of why I've be so, so disappointed with the current series - they had proved they could still do it, then just didn't).

What can they do to improve it? Give the main 5 characters some breathing space without Amy and Bernadette - not because those two aren't funny or aren't good characters (though largely they're not), but to have enough room in the limited minutes to have enough lines for the others to actually set some jokes up and get a payoff. Secondly, bring back some of the STEM aspects that made the show so unique - build a remote controlled rocket, argue about science, go into the lab, feud with Kripke, argue about comic book plots or SF films, talk about Agents of SHIELD or the Marvel films (I know it's a WB show, but they would be all over that stuff if they were true to the characters), anything except another boring evening watching the 7 of them sit around doing the same mundane crap that fills every other show on TV.

skbrettbug

[11]May 17, 2014
    • level: 19

snake63 wrote:

This show has jumped the shark 100%. One more season at best. Although I would love to see the finale, besides that I've stopped watching the show.

uwimbabazi

[12]Aug 19, 2014
    • level: 2

just give what TBBT universe/fans want

lotostennyson

[13]Aug 21, 2014
    • level: 1
    Relax, doomsayers. There's still plenty here to work with.

They need to revive Sheldon's genius. All his weird quirks and oblivion become meaningless if they don't reinforce the genius that made him that way. Why has his genius taken a backseat to simply laughing at how out of touch and rude he is? I suppose this show is meant to focus on that period of time in a person's life when they have achieved autonomy, but haven't yet reached a level where the day to day life is so demanding ( as when a person has a full time career, marriage, and children) that there's only time for basic survival. In other words, they are fully adults, but still free to enjoy their friendships and their passions. Nobody's life is idyllic, but this phase contains a lot of joyous memories which are probably more fun to look back on than they were to experience. If Sheldon has a significant scientific breakthrough, the risk is that this phase is over for him. But, maybe there's a way for him to be part of a truly significant discovery without disrupting the basic structure of his life. I hope there can be, because it's time for Sheldon to ante up. I think Penny should succeed. I think she should become the next big star in a new popular science fiction series, a big action hero. She not only attends Comicon, she's a headliner. Her character should be the star of the show and she should be amazingly successful in the role. This plot line would draw the gang closer together, as all the guys help her understand the science and the fantasy of the story she plays in. Then, Penny becomes even more like the guys as she's drawn into their world. Maybe she even begins to understand some basic science and show reasoning skills. This could strengthen her relationship with Leonard. Howard and Bernadette need to have a serious fight and seriously question their relationship, and then be alright in the end. Why do I think a serious separation is needed? It was all so easy, way too easy for them. Even their difference of opinion about having children barely threw a roadblock in their path. Yeah, they've had spats, but never at any moment did it seem that the relationship hung in the balance. They need this so they don't take each other for granted. Stuart needs to go back to being an artist. His store burnt down, he's free to reinvent himself. He moves forward by having confidence in his talent. Maybe he works for Stan Lee, who knows? But, he needs to continue being part of the show. His flat humor adds another dimension to the show. Amy and Sheldon need a major breakthrough, even if it is a break up. Sheldon needs to finally admit that he will never be capable of the physical intimacy she desires, or their relationship needs to go the other way, and Sheldon has to finally feel desire for her and the moment must arrive. Anyway, don't forget how incredibly funny and endearing these characters are, or how much fun it is to step into their world. I don't think the show is doomed. There's lots to play with here.