The Big Bang Theory Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

The show is taped in front of a live audience. It is NOT canned laughter

day-O

[1]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 18

All right, why does everyone hate the audience laughter all of a sudden? Why was it all right in sitcoms from the 70s, 80s and 90s? A lot of sitcoms in the 60s actuallyhad canned/fake laughter, like Dick Van Dyke The Munsters, I Dream of Jeannie . . .

I don't know why people hate it now and just automatically assume it's a "laugh track/canned laughter." It is the most annoying thing in the world. Were the people who went to tapings all dreaming?

Want proof that it's taped in front of an audience?Thisis where you get ticketshttp://www.audiencesunlimited.com/fmi/xsl/shows/browserecord.xsl?&Show=big+bang

And on the bloopers I cannot believe people think they added canned laughter to them. Seriously. That should be even more proof that it's done in front of 300 people.

I think it's because there's more comedies on now that are single camera and not done in front of an audience like "It's always sunny," "Modern Family," "Curb your enthusiasm," etc, and that seems more "in" but there are still SITCOMS on the air like there always have been. Single camera comedies don't need laughter. I love Modern Family and The Middle even though they don't have audience laughter and that's all right.

I really wish I could fly out to LA to see a taping of this show but I live in Western NY. Yell

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sagerian

[2]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 9
    While I don't doubt that it's filmed in front of an audience at all, it does seem that there is canned laughter added to the track of the final product. There's distinct laughs in several episodes (the high pitched squeal, etc at some of Sheldon's lines for example).

I don't have an issue with any of that though, my only problem is how loud it is compared to the audio of the dialogue. There's a high percentage of people who don't notice/mind it, but personally it bugs me a little bit.

Just my 2 cents again on a topic done to death.

luv70s

[3]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 4

I must respond to this since I am one of the very few lucky people to see this show live. I am a hardcore live taping attender. LOL. I love that environment and lifestyle so I go as many times as I can. The shows I have been to are TBBT, Friends, T7S, BMW, Whose Line, Jay Leno, Jesse, Two Of a Kind, TAAHM and Drew Carey. LA is my town! I plan to go to probably a couple this season as well. If you ever get a chance to go..TAKE it! You will NOT regret it! I've met Johnny, Kaley, Simon, Kunal, Chuck, and Bill. I have yet to meet Jim and its very unlikely at least for a while. He's hard to catch since he would get mobbed. Seriously he is THAT popular.

Also to the above poster. Its not added, in fact they reduce the laughter. Its never enhanced.

Edited on 10/16/2010 4:50am