The Big Bang Theory Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Why did syndication edit some of the episodes?

Crazy-for-TV

[1]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 4

Okay, the title of my thread makes me seem like I don't understand how syndication works; I do. I understand that episodes of Seinfeld or Friends are edited for syndication, because, back in their prime, they lasted approximately 22-24 minutes. However, The Big Bang Theory, being a new sitcom, runs anywhere from 19-22 minutes in length. When watching the show on my local affiliate and on TBS, the episodes, from memory, appear to be complete, but I have noticed an edit here and there. I have only witnessed two examples. First, the pilot episode is missing the opening when Sheldon and Leonard are at the sperm bank. (Maybe this was edited out because they didn't want newcomers to the show to be exposed to this sort of thing right away - OR - the episode simply ran longer because of it being the pilot. Who knows?) The other episode is season 2's "The Cushion Saturation." While watching that particular episode the other night, I imagined Penny saying a few extra lines that weren't shown. I'm not going to write verbatim, but it was when she said that they should tell Sheldon that a robber broke in to shoot the couch with a paintball gun and that she buys it because "most of those people are on drugs," and Leonard responds that they could tell Sheldon a girl was telling the couch to stay away from her boyfriend, which gets a big laugh out of the audience, because it refers back to a previous joke from Penny. I know, that's like 15-20 seconds missing. Nevertheless, it just shocked me because I thought that they wouldn't need to edit the episodes to fit in commercials due to the fact that the episodes are already so short. Since this is my all-time favorite show, I found it a bit peculiar. I didn't know that if I wanted to see the *complete* episodes that I would have to resort to my DVDs this early in time, but whatever.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Crazy-for-TV

[2]Jan 20, 2012

I just discovered another one. In the third episode, "The Fuzzy Boots Corollary," of the first season, the scene where Howard takes the boys to a Latin dance class has been cut. Since I haven't watched that episode in awhile, I kept remembering them going to that class and Howard telling Leonard that he was "in for a Latin treat" because the dance instructor wanted to dance with him. It took me awhile to track this down, mainly because in reruns, this scene is no longer there.

neo979

[3]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 6
    I don't think it matters how old they are. All shows that are put into syndication end up with more commercials and a higher level of censorship (presumably because they will air at earlier times).

As far as I know, the only reason network broadcasts have slightly fewer commercials is that network broadcasts are the "high-end classy" broadcasts that seem more prestigious when they have fewer commercials, plus they charge more for the commercials so they don't need as many.

There are laws regulating the maximum amount of commercials you can have, but I can't imagine there is any minimum amount.

Crazy-for-TV

[4]Jan 21, 2012

Tonight, I was watching the series on TBS, and I noticed another edit. In season 4's "The Love Car Displacement," they cut some dialogue where Penny comes to Sheldon/Leonard's room to spend the night, because Bernadette and Amy were causing problems in her room. When Leonard questions the sleeping arrangements, Penny says that she won't be climbing into bed with Sheldon. Leonard replys, "Yeah, it is a little like getting into Dracula's coffin," (the way Sheldon sleeps) or something along those lines. I guess I'll continue posting any edits that I find. It's actually fun seeing what I remember and if I can spot if something is missing. : )

Edited on 01/21/2012 8:21pm
    Edited 2 total times.

jekyll

[5]Jan 23, 2012
    • level: 86

The shows are shorter because the ecomonics of TV have changed. If CBS itself needs shorter showsbecause they need more commercials to turn a profit, TBS and other airers of reruns also need still more commercials to get their profit.

pretty_sure

[6]Jan 24, 2012
    • level: 38

I've noticed missing things also from TBBT in syndication. My Theory is it's edited for something said in the scene. For example when I watch 30 rock in reruns on the same channel, scenes have been taken out, and on rewatching the episodes on DVD, I have realizes the scenes used terms like 'Ass wipe" or said "bitch" excessively. Perhaps the same goes for TBBT.

Crazy-for-TV

[7]Jan 26, 2012

pretty_sure wrote:

I've noticed missing things also from TBBT in syndication. My Theory is it's edited for something said in the scene. For example when I watch 30 rock in reruns on the same channel, scenes have been taken out, and on rewatching the episodes on DVD, I have realizes the scenes used terms like 'Ass wipe" or said "bitch" excessively. Perhaps the same goes for TBBT.

The scenes I've mentioned didn't contain any profanity or sexual innuendos, but yet they were cut. I recently read an article about Seinfeld on TBS, and it stated that some scenes where Jerry does stand-up at the club have been altered to better fit the commercial breaks, and that some lines have been cut to fit in the time allotted. I know that it's the world we live in, that money is most important, but I consider good TV to be a work of art. It is truly a shame that classics like Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers, and destined-to-be-classics like The Big Bang Theory, are edited, however briefly, to earn another 10 seconds worth of money. : (

drudager

[8]Jan 27, 2012
    • level: 13
    Crazy-for-TV wrote:

pretty_sure wrote:

The scenes I've mentioned didn't contain any profanity or sexual innuendos, but yet they were cut. I recently read an article about Seinfeld on TBS, and it stated that some scenes where Jerry does stand-up at the club have been altered to better fit the commercial breaks, and that some lines have been cut to fit in the time allotted. I know that it's the world we live in, that money is most important, but I consider good TV to be a work of art. It is truly a shame that classics like Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers, and destined-to-be-classics like The Big Bang Theory, are edited, however briefly, to earn another 10 seconds worth of money. : (

Eh, there is a lot of filler on TV shows. While I don't like the editing, I don't consider it the end of the world. I only tend to notice edits the first few times in syndication where I'll do a double take and go, "say, isn't there a joke or line missing there?". I also think that some shows encourage heavy editing to spruce up DVD sales. Totally disagree on "Friends" being a classic.

Crazy-for-TV

[9]Feb 2, 2012

In season 4's "The Zazzy Substitution," the end tag where Sheldon and Amy are giving away his cats, along with $20, has been cut. The routine of "Here's your cat. And, here's $20," has been shortened. Again, not really a big deal, and it doesn't affect any of the plot or outcome, but still. I'll continue to post anything I find, and I urge others to do the same.

Edited on 02/02/2012 8:11pm

brucifer77

[10]Aug 11, 2012
    • level: 1

I have looked around for similar info on this subject. Griping about the high cost of cable and then see TV shows re-run and edited. Yes they do this and always have.

They have the right to, or do they? They do not do it for censorship on all programs. I know I have seen this many times now in the past couple of years on a good many networks.

I emailed a few and asked them why would they shorten the episodes and yet my cable bill keeps going up? You know, less programming for the money type thing? I got no reply and I won't.

If they cut sentences out and shorten a scene, even if it is two or three seconds, I wonder how much time that would add uptoby the end of the day or the week, or the month for more commercials? A lot of extra revenue in their pockets while we pay higher cableprices. When they cut lines from I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show, I know it isn't censorship. It's just greed.

If you think that is sad, the other night we we're watching That 70's Show on a big timecable network and luckily I left my recorder going. We both commented on how their voices seemd just slightly higher pitched. Well, they we're. After comparing it to the same show's episode on DVD, it was entire 21 seconds shorter. They sped it up about as much as half a second. Itmade for a slightly shorter show, did not have to cut edit and yetthey could add morecommercials.

The reason I am posting is to say kudos to all of you that have noticed this sad ripoff from networks that make money hand over fist already from commercials and charging high cable prices, too. I do, however, suggest that maybe, instead of running a full 30 minute or hour show with commercials just allow theTV networks to run constant commercials and theninterupt withshort clips of a TV show in between. MAYBE then they will be happy? Either that or just buy the dvd's? Better yet, why don't we just open our wallets and handthem thecash for nothing? We are almost there now.

Edited on 08/16/2012 10:19am