The Big Bang Theory

Monday 8:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 24, 2007 Returning September 25, 2017

karlmeszaros

The Big Bang Theory Fan Reviews page 3 of 22

• The Big Bland Theory

When Lorre's Big Bang Theory began in 2007 it immediately gained steam by positioning itself as a show that spoke to an audience that was largely overlooked in mainstream comedy. After 8 seasons, the goofy comedy's fandom elements, quippy dialogue, and colorful SINGLE characters has even impressed many viewers who have long felt marginalized by the stream of prime time dysfunctional family comedies. However, drama must exist on some level to propel a show forward for so long and, unfortunately, Big Bang has resorted to the easy route of pairing off its characters to keep the show interesting. The term "Friends syndrome" has been bouncing around the comment sections, as many of the viewers have voiced their concern that the show has leaned too heavily on its soapish aspects and lost a lot of the shows original heart in the process.

On the plus side, the writers have deviated from the Friends standard in an important way: the long awaited and overhyped marriage of Penny and Leonard took place on the premiere of the season which shifts the focus away from Happily-Ever-After to a more honest, insightful approach to a sitcom marriage. The episode picked up from where the finale of season 8 left us, in the car with Penny and Leonard as Leonard confesses about his brief affair with a university colleague. Surprisingly Penny agrees to continue with the marriage. Although the actual wedding is not without its tender moments (particularly the great comedic timing of Toy Story's "You Got a Friend in Me" as Penny's wedding vows), the tone of the whole scene carries the emotional baggage of the car confessional. And, honestly, it wasn't even the most interesting story line of the episode.

This review is breaking no new ground by recognizing Jim Parson's outstanding, quadruple (yes, quadruple) Emmy-winning, comedic performance as Sheldon. As the most memorable character and, frankly, the heart of the franchise, Parson's character has actually broken new ground as the relationship with Amy developed. Albeit still hilarious, when he is left holding the ring after Amy dumps him over Skype the audience is heartbroken. We're dying to break the fourth wall and comfort him with rounds of "Soft Kitty" and warm beverages. Sheldon's ability to show emotional complexity so late in the game gives hope that the show hasn't jumped the shark just yet and that there is still some unexplored territory left to venture into.

Comedically the show has some faults. Literally and figuratively speaking, the bathroom potpurri should be allowed to be thrown and not spoken about. But the most obvious sore spot is its character development. Despite its early momentum, the characters have only really evolved as pairs, leaving the individual characters largely unmoved. In an ideal world, showrunner Lorre should have recognized the evolving comic talent in Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting and allowed her vows to get the beats it needed for a genuine, uncanned, laugh. The show is aching for more comic relief from the always entertaining voices of reason: Simon Helberg and Melissa Rauch (Howard and Amy). The exception to the rule, their individual comic abilities are complemented and strengthened as a duo but are continuously undermined by the dramatic, emotionally draining elements of the other characters in its later seasons after their own storyline was more or less completed. As characters now without female support, Raj and Stuart are marginalized in a painful way in the premiere. Both of the beloved characters' lines seemed to stem from a contractual obligation and the lackluster performance of the actors (respectively, Kunal Nayyar and Kevin Sussman) suggest that they are just as disappointed with their severely shrinking spotlights as we are.

On the whole, the premiere of the ninth season felt like most ninth season premieres: meh. As with Two and a Half Men, Lorre has tried to accomplish too much with weak writing and the show has lost the soul that had given it so much life in the first place as a result. (Enter Charlie Sheen tiger blood jokes here). The remaining strength of the show entirely rests on its ability to maintain the whole cast as an ensemble and not as A, B, and half of a C story lines that occasionally bump into each other in the hallway. Only by mixing up the storylines and moving the seating arrangement around in their scenes together, will Mayim Bialik, Jim Parsons, Simon Helberg, Melissa Rauch, Kunal Nayyar, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting be enabled to shine comedically and bring some life back into the franchise. And maybe, just maybe, the show will feel less like a franchise and more like the show we used to hurry home after work to watch.
  • Off to a bad start

I really like the Big Bang Theory but it was a disappointment this season starting with the first episode they really are starting it off wrong and if this is the direction it keeps going I think it probably will be a sleeper season and losing alot of fans. I think the episode was boring I was hoping for more and I hope that the episodes get better I will see next week if not I guess I will not continue to watch if I want boring I will watch reality tv shows.
  • Show Runner Steve Molaro killed this show

When Molaro said in an interview 2 years ago a Comicon that he wanted to take the show in a different direction boy did he! Furthermore I can't Believe Chuck Lorre let it happen. How the show died.

1. They Stars Got 1 mil per episode Guaranteed

2. The didn't put hair extensions on Penny That was a Show killer right there.

3. The show got a 10 year Guarantee Run and this was after season 7

4. They Separated the core group splitting them up into different story lines

5. Steve Molaro was allowed turn the show into Dawsons Creek!

The great Jerry Seinfeld said the reason his show was so good was because they had a hard and fast rule. No hugging no crying and no "Very Special" Episodes. If you died it was funny. If you broke up it was funny. If BBT did that it would still be funny!

This show was over last season.
  • Can't believe they're going in that direction

For years we have been waiting for Leonard & Penny to get married and for Sheldon & Amy to consummate their relationship. Now they have screwed that up in the very first episode. Maybe eight years is too long to watch a show. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, look what they did to Three and 1/2 Men.
  • you know when you have to cut an aquintance out of your life?

5.5
    I really think the characters have reached a point if they keep making this show it will become a pig with lipstick
  • The downward spiral of a once great show

I know it's bound to get tired after 8 seasons. However, if you watch the older reruns which are on constantly, then compare it to the present, there is a glaring lack of "sharpness" in the scripts. It's very apparent. Let's face it, this season the writing has been very lackluster so far.

But to be honest it started gradually in season 5, and it got more apparent for each new season that followed.

It's clear that they ran out of ideas two years ago. That's when they switched the formula to a relationship comedy and changed it from what it was in the early years. Changing the show to Friends 2.0 gives it another couple years of life because the audience seems to like that concept. As a result, they renewed the show with three seasons last year.
  • this is leonard Hofstadter look-a-like.

Been a fan, from the beginning. There is a person that look very much like Johnny Goelecki. He plays for the . METS team here in new York city, his name is Daniel Murphy... He could play (Johnny big brother. Look into it. I think this would be a good show... Felix laguer of Queens .
  • Losing It's Charm

5.5
    Much like most of the shows I've enjoyed over the years, it seems that this has lost a ton of steam with it's jokes. I felt it was clever at the beginning, was getting better until season 4, but the original elements seem to have died out and half the time I'm wondering if I should even be laughing. These days I watch the show out of habit, often leaving it on as background noise, and I get more laughs out of my guests who sort of find the cast creepy.

In all fairness, had I made this review around season 5, it would be similar to the hardcore fans because it was a fun new show to watch. It often reminds me of 3rd Rock from the Sun, but even that show knew when to hang it up.
  • Top Shows - Geeks and Nerds rule!

Its high notes are basically the first 5 seasons. Gives us geeks and nerds some good reflection on our interests, a clever, stand out character who may not be even acting (Jim Parsons does have a demeanor like Sheldon shown in interviews), struggles dating and have people realize we like these intelligent hobbies. I originally wasn't interested in the show, given the impression it was 60s like (Howard's hairstyle) and may be cheesy, negative towards us. It does lower in quality around the 6th season, not as funny as it used to be, and sometimes has unnecessary partner melodrama. But I give it still a 10 cause I enjoy a show for its highest, best episodes.

6-7 seasons. (11-14, July 2015) CBS, UPN, 3rd party vid site
  • Bazinga!

I love this show I have seen Seasons 1-7 like five times already and I am waiting for Season 8 to come out on DVD the actors are great at playing their character. The show is so perfectly funny and addicting I like cannot stop watching it so yeah if you have not watched it yet definitely go out to Walmart and pickup a copy of Season 1 and then you will be addicted the in your car on your way to get a copy of all the released DVD Seasons that are out so far!
  • BESTTTTIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE

BEST BEST EVER
  • WHY IS SHELDON CHANGING?

THIS SHOW USED TO BE FUNNY BUT NOW IT IS SIMPLY GARBAGE. THE CHARACTERS AREN'T FUNNY ANYMORE, ESPECIALLY EVER SINCE THEY ALL GOT GIRLFRIENDS. AMY AND BERNADETTE ARE SIMPLY ANNOYING ESPECIALLY AMY. ANOTHER THING IS THAT SHELDON KEEPS CHANGING, WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT SMART, INDEPENDENT SMART QUIRKY SCIENTIST. NOW THIS SHOW IS SIMPLY GARBAGE. THE FIRST SEASONS WERE HILARIOUS, BUT AS THE SEASONS CONTINUE IT HAS BEEN FALLING FROM QUALITY. I TRY TO WATCH THE NEW EPISODES BUT IT ISN'T THE WAY IT USED TO BE. PLEASE BRING THE ORIGINAL CHARACTERS BACK AND MAKE THE SHOW FUNNY AGAIN.

PS: BRING BACK TWO AND A HALF MEN, THE BEST SHOW IN TV HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Big Bang.... more like Big Bore

2.5
    just watched the final episode of season 8 & all of us in the house agree that the show is getting worse & worse! Penny has gone from asking "is it a trick clock or a trick potato!?" to winning prizes for the best Pharmaceutical Rep! she didn't even finish college for goodness sake!, she didn't need to stay a waitress in the show if Kaley was bored with that role, but really? she purses her lips, shakes her head & looks like she's bored to death most of the time, she constantly puts Leonard down, she's richer than he is, she's better looking than he is, has more friends than he does, poor guy will be on anti-depressants if he stays with her much longer!, Sheldon's character has gone from being naive about social niceties to very very spiteful, some of the things that are said make us cringe, wanting to make Amy's Christmas as miserable as possible, that was uncomfortable to watch, so much for the world becoming anti-bullying, this show is starting to show it as the norm. why don't the guys go & play paintball, play the Wii, the rock band, the bowling, no cinema trips, no comic-con there's nothing except nagging & bitching from the 2 dominant women,where are the Mums & Penny's Dad, Missy? why did they have to divorce the Koothrappali's, they worked fantastically together. we used to pounce on the for the new episodes & laugh throughout, but not now, now they sit in the planner until we remember its there. If Penny were to leave the show, i really don't think it would make much of a dent to the plots, please writers go back & watch the first few series of the show & remember this is what fans fell in love with. i want to love this show again, please either end it or mend it

• If we want to here woman nagging...

we would used mute the tv. I am really getting old, or tv comedy is dying a fast and painful death. Almost every comedy is getting tainted. let hope for some kind of reboot next season. I used to tune in for the big bang theory, now i skip it and tune in for "The middle".
  • The Big Boring Theory

This show used to be clever and funny until season 5. After that authors forced totally unrealistic character developing, ditching almost everything that was funny and evolving into a stupid 3+1 couples sitcom where nothing seems original and well thought. Take for example Penny+Leonard relationship, where it seems Penny is making a favour to him in staying together... just boring unrealistic couple problems.

Only good seasons are from 1 to 5, last three are garbage.
  • miss the cameos and Kripke

I loved when they Leonard Nimoy, Katee Sakhoff, Steven Hawking, and other science/sci-fi show characters on the show. This last year has been really boring. I really miss Kripke too. He's hilarious. And Raj's new girlfriend is dull. The previous one was hilarious. I don't care if they want the characters to develop but make the shows funny at least, not dramatic. Do they even have Leslie Winkle on anymore? I thought her and Sheldon's feuds were always pretty good. They've taken away just about everything that I thought was funny.
  • big bang theory people that should be cut from theshow

i personally think amy sheldons girl friend buti dont like amy i think she should be cut from the show i dont like amy put a thumbs up if you agree with me and put a thumbs down if you disagree with me.
  • A Show to watch..

I can't tell you how much I love this show. I'm a die hard fan, I even went into conflict with my friends when they called the show stupid. I love the beauty of the show that gradually it has grown into a beautiful life story, instead of just nerd stuff. Many people say that show went downhill after introducing Amy & Bernadette, well newsflash pigbrains, this is how real life unfolds. TBBT is the alternate universe I envy to live in.
  • Anybody here watch Fox?

TBBT used to be my current fav comedy, but now New Girl is king! Hey, they don't have their characters stuck in boring relationships. I think when the BB actors, most of them, got their fat contracts they forgot how to be funny and interesting characters, then the writers forgot how to write good IS A COMEDY SHOW REMEMBER! Season 8 = 4
  • dissappointed

i used to adore the characters especially sheldon but after the addition of "sex jokes and bad language" i hate it :@
  • Big Bang Theory food un eaten???

My comment is why don't you have them eat their food when they are sitting a round each other. Do you know how stupid it looks watching these clowns playing with their food. Really makes them look like little children who have no guidance,, People would love too eat the food that they waste,
  • This show went down hill after season 5

I used to really love this show. I have seasons 1-5 on Bluray. And can rewatch them all the time. But once Amy & Bernadette came on the show full time it really sucks. People say the show and characters need to develop. I say NO! Everyone on friends show stayed the same with the exception of Monica & chandler. And on Seinfeld no one changed! & that is the best! The show isn't about the geekiness anymore it's only about the relationships! When was the last time they went to a movie, or went to work & the cafeteria? The only woman that Raj should talk to is Penny cause he is now comfortable around her. They should have Howard & Sheldon break up with their Wife & GF. Or have Amy & Bernadette killed in a comic con stamped.
  • Johnmchris

I take one look at your profile picture and decide your comment is not worth reading all of. Man that comment is long as hell, ain't nobody got time for that,
  • This show has lost it's initial touch.

This show once used to be creative, funny and clever at the same time. More importantly there was a time that I'd re-watch every single episode from season 1 to 4 because I simply couldn't get enough laughter just from one run of each episode. I agree that characters have to develop but this is just painful to watch, I barely laughed once maybe twice on this last episode. This show used to represent people from all over the world with it's clever references, for example I'd just go all fanatical over a Lineage 2 poster hanging on Howard's wall. After some point though everything they used to do in order to add some "flavor" in this show simply got lost, I think there hasn't been a paintball game since ever, Kripke has disappeared, Sheldon's assistant is nowhere to be seen, the Uni is more like a playground that whenever someone is given a task they must assemble a team and do lame experiments. Some people still mention that TBBT represents the Friends of this Era, highly doubt it since Friends comedy touch never faded throughout the years. Most importantly Sheldon or Jim Parsons used to be outstanding with his role, now he's just dropping by the set and reads a few lines, success ruined this cast. Irrelevant but Charlie Sheen even high as f*** and drunk in the last episodes of season 8 of T&1/2Men was god damn hilarious because he was serious about his job.

Not saying this show is dead but it sure is suffering, even torrent (seeds) have decreased up to 50-65%. In my opinion writers should take advantage of this Summer ahead of us and come up with original ideas, drift away from this Soap Opera concept it has turned to and revive the show. I would suggest hiring a couple of new ( funny people ) that can bring something to the table and not another 1-2 guest appearances, also broadcast Sheldon's work more and Uni problems or troubles he is facing, mention way more outside movies and tv series plus any type of games (at this point I don't care about the type of game) or gaming consoles.

I just hope our reviews here are being seen by people related to the show.

Lastly I'm really baffled about what rating I should give, Season 1-4 would be a 10.0 Season 5 a 9.00 and the rest seasons an average 6.00-7.00. Out of respect to what it used to be I'll give it an 8.

If anyone happens to agree with my point of view then you should try watching Silicon Valley, trust me this show looks promising(sure isn't on TBBT level but it's slowly evolving). BTW I'm sure you will really enjoy the last episode of season 1.
  • Keeping things interesting.

I know cliffhangers keep people interested and itching to turn on next season, but this one really hurt! I am a VERY admittedly obsessed fan of TBBT, watching the repeats every day. Everyone keeps complaining about how the show is so different. That's the point with long-running shows. The characters have to develop. This show is the 'Friends' of this generation and look at all the character development that happened in that show? Keep with it. Sheldon and Amy are the reason I tune in and watching them struggle through is amazing! Hoping for a quick reconciliation though because I don't think I can watch it with them apart.
  • I've seen this before

The same thing happened to the Roseanne show many years ago. Funny for years, then Dan has a heart attack, cheats on Roseanne, they win the lottery, in the end they killed off became a drama with a few jokes and a laugh track. The fan base never really forgave them for that...

Penny gets a new hairstyle, job and attitude etc. Everything that made her character cute is gone. I could go on, but the I would only be echoing what most of the other posts already say very well. The old characters are what made it funny, I didnt want to see them grow up. Thats just me.

• How is TBBT going to continue for another two years?

For years, The Big Bang Theory was my favorite TV comedy. However, this season was so bad that it isn't even on my DVR any longer. I just don't care about the characters anymore, and the show is not funny. Sheldon's personality change is unrealistic. I have no idea what Leonard sees in Penny now. She has become a cynical, sarcastic alcoholic with no redeeming qualities. Bernadette, the once-sweet girl is now a domineering shrew. Who knows what has happened to the Raj character. The relationships between the guys have been supplanted by the pairing of couples, and if someone just began watching the series now would have no idea what these guys do for a living. They all just sit in each other's living room, the guys eating take-out and the girls drinking in Penny's apartment. It's so disappointing to see a once-great comedy lose its way. The next two years will be painful. I probably won't be watching, because I just don't care anymore
  • Used to love this show now I'm rolling my eyes

I just watched the latest episode and I gagged and groaned the whole time. Penny and Leonard . About the same stuff. Why do these two "love" each other? He thinks she's stupid, and she resents him for it. Plus in this episode he just admitted that he cheated on her. The whole reason she's with him is he's supposed to be this nice guy who treats her better. Any of her hot exes could have done that to her. Then Sheldon is kissing Amy all of a sudden and wants to marry her? Really? I liked him better when he was more robotic. At least he was funny then. This is just getting corny as hell, repetitive, heavy on melodrama, unfunny, and every time the audience gasps at some relationship drama I cringe.
  • Please change theme song

This show needs to realize when they have worn out a theme song.

I mute my TV every time the show starts with that same theme song we had had to hear since show started.

It is so over used it's annoying. I used to like the song. Then after thousands of times, it got old. Real old.

It's over used and worn out. Enough already!!!!

Also, like many have been posting, the show is starting to get very boring. It's like every episode is just going through the motions. Just isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. Who is writing this crap? Sorry, but it just isn't fun to watch anymore.
  • Boring "science" drama

While I always kind of thought this show was a little corny with the laugh tracks and all, I still enjoyed watching the first season when it was about four nerdy, social awkward guys trying unsuccessfully to get laid or at least talk to a girl while juggling their respective careers in the science community.

Now the show has devolved to watching some semi-serious "drama" about four wannabe-nerds in relationships. There is very little of the science aspect involved anymore, save for a cheap joke here and there followed by an even cornier laugh track than before. While the intent was to create character development, all the writers managed to do was create boring characters and boring storylines.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10