The Big Bang Theory

The Bon Voyage Reaction

Aired Monday 8:00 PM May 16, 2013 on CBS

• Written by men ...

I've enjoyed the show for its run, and I am a man myself, but I have to say: only male producers could hook a guy like Leonard up with Penny ... and Priya ... and that doctor ... and the unseen North Korean who was purportedly hot ... and the older woman who donated to the school ... I mean, the guy is 5-foot-2, enormous block head, eyes like a gopher beneath a bushy almost-monobrow. Also pretty annoying, but of course not in Sheldon's league. But sure, he's smart. Right. And don't get me started on Wolowitz and Bernadette. But at least that was a lightning strike. Had they hooked up Amy with some hot guy, the viewership would laugh and not in the good way.
  • A truely worthy finale to the season...

This season was the weakest season of TBBT this far. No questions. Since three additional (but unsuitable) characters were introduced the show turned into something much less interesting. Love and relations in a science-nerds show? How does that fit? In the early seasons the science-nerd-combination made TBBT remarkably different. Now with relations, love and on-off-again that is just lost. We can find this elsewhere. THANKS FOR DESTROYING A ONCE GREAT CONCEPT. Nerdiness 0 : Emotions 1. Mediocrity at its best.

No, thanks.
  • Penny and Leonard might get married?

Hmm, Rajesh's brake up with Lucy was good because she wasn't the one for him and it'll be easiyer for him now that he can talk to all the "ladies". But leonard being gone and all that, i wished that in the car right before he was going to leave that he proposed to Penny and that she would say yes, but sometime in season 7 i think that he will marry Penny.

I think that this was an great episode.
  • They turned this show into a yawnfest

Dear writers: More characters does NOT mean better writing. Relationships do NOT make better writing. You know, you could try NOT making every single show become about every single male character having a relationship with every single female character. Leave that rubbish to the soap operas. We get enough of that drama in real life, thanks. Just like Friends, TBBT went to crap the moment the writers got lazy and thought it would be easier to chase ratings by just giving everybody a romantic partner. If I WANT to watch a show about couples endlessly arguing/making up/getting together/splitting up and finally getting married, I'll choose one with a title that's less about science and more about cheesy romance, thank you very much.

Yours derisively, Sheldon Lee Cooper
  • A worthy finale to the season.

Overall, for a season that started out very slow and repetitive but redeemed itself several times, this is a well done conclusion to a rocky inconsistent, but overall good season.

The ending takes the series in an interesting turn because it addresses two underlying fundamentals parts of the series that were not addressed before.

1. The absence of Leonard

Some people think the main character of the series is Sheldon, since he is the most acclaimed and familiar, however Leonard is the main character of the series while Sheldon is often the comic relief. The premise of the whole series is the relationship between Leonard and Penny which will take another twist. But also, this will allow Sheldon to develop as a character, as he has been so reliant on Leonard for the entire 6 years. Of course, he has Amy to lean on, but this can also open up a closer interaction between Sheldon and Penny. Leonard was always the one to let the two completely different character reconcile, as he represented the middle-ground between the two, both nerdy and social. Now Sheldon and Penny will develop without Leonard's intervention.

2. The development of Raj

After the other main characters (Leonard, Sheldon and Howard) have all found relationships, Raj was cast aside as a secondary character where his inclusion wasn't as necessary for the series once Howard was married, ending the bromance. The writers saved Raj, the most enigmatic until now, for last but they inevitably had to address him.

Every season needs a bang at the end, a memorable moment, and in this one it was Raj overcoming his selective mutism and being able to talk to women. The writers slowly toyed with this idea by letting him talk only while he is (or thinks he is) intoxicated, but eventually, it was time to stop milking it and let it go. It was the right time to develop Raj in this way. It is suprising, but organic as well.

Lucy deciding to end the relationship with Raj is the last, and most important point I want to touch on and it has to do with the central idea the writers were aiming for. In the beginning of the series, it was presented that Leonard was a socially awkward nerd and Penny was the hot neighbor. The premise was the Leonard would be lucky to have a chance with her and Penny would have to date down (considering she had much more attractive boyfriends before Leonard). Now the two are established as equals, after 6 years, and the tables have been turned around a bit because now it is Leonard that seems very interesting while Penny is the more shallow one.

Raj and Lucy are a direct parallel to this. Raj asked Lucy out on the premise that he was alone and desperate and never would find a girlfriend. While Raj was rude, obnoxious and often times oblivious, it was Lucy as a whole that was flaky, socially dysfunctional and beneath Raj. While at surface value, Raj was the desperate one and he got dumped, looking deeper, it was Raj who developed a lot as a character (encapsulated by the end scene) to the point where he can do much better than Lucy.
  • oh my god....

Honey?
  • always funny

i always look forward to TBBT, never fails to make me laugh. wish it were longer though. loved this finale, so happy with raj's character, for a while there i thought something was going to happen with penny, glad that nothing did. hope next season raj gets a girl who's also dysfunctional, maybe like penny so there's another character who's clueless with the science stuff.
  • Finally

Overall this wasn't the greatest of episodes as it dealt with a couple things I really don't care about.

1 - Raj and his new girlfriend. As I was watching this I was thinking that this girl is annoying. Didn't care for her in scrubs or here.

2 - Penny Lenny stories are just boring. I do like how they use summer breaks to create a reason for someone to take off and do something. This season Lenny takes off on a North Sea Expedition.

What made this episode great in the end was seeing Raj's new girlfriend leave for good and seeing Raj finally break out his shell and talk. The next season will be much more interesting with Raj being free to interact in any situation now. Good season ending.