The Big Bang Theory

The Countdown Reflection

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 10, 2012 on CBS

• Howard continues with his space mission so he and Bernadette must get married sooner than planned.

I really liked the Season 5 finale. Sure, the writers let the viewers know right away that Howard and Bernadette would get married as Howard told his space mission buddies he had just gotten married. But it's okay, I ultimately wanted the two to seal the deal in the episode. So before launch, Howard reflects on how he and Bernadette made the decision to get married within two days and executed it with few bumps in the road. I loved how and why they made the decision. Howard the person has really grown since he met Bernadette, he's even making Penny really proud of late. The writers still want to build suspense when City Hall can't marry the two in time, so the rest of the gang all get licenses and perform a private wedding themselves on the roof of Leonard, Penny and Sheldon's apartment building that's attended by just them the bride's father and groom's infamous mother. Like I imagined, the whole "Leonard proposing to Penny in bed and her rejecting" was brought up in this episode. However, it wasn't in the manner I was hoping. But, Penny does grab a hold of Leonard's hand when the gang's all huddled around the TV watching Howard launch. Bernadette held Raj's hand as he expressed his fear for Howard, and even Sheldon grabbed Amy's hand himself. With the addition of Bernadette and Amy since Season 3, the group of four guys and three girls have often seen split up in their own "cliques", if you will. Of course, Howard wasn't here, but it was nice, to see the other six in the main set watching Howard, especially Sheldon, showing encouragement he hadn't shown to anyone ever before. And with Penny holding Leonard's hand in the final minutes, it shows great signs for Season 6. I don't expect it to be fast since The Big Bang Theory is guaranteed at least another two seasons, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two are together for good. Just hate that there has to be a break. Let the anticipation for Season 6 begin!