The Big Bang Theory

The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 21, 2009 on CBS

7.9
  • It Was Weird

It was almost a little too much for a single episode, from returning from the trip, learning that it was all a sham, having Sheldon table flip his California life and return to Texas, the whole gang drives down to bring him back only have his mother do the convincing and finally Leonard and Penny finally hook up? It was too much. There wasn't enough time to focus on any one thing or enjoy the developments. But it did set a very different tone (and pace) for this season, so we'll see what they do with it.
  • Season 3 Premiere

Leonard & Penny getting together? The moment we've all been waiting for? I don't think so, I think the writers could have held this relationship over our heads for a while longer. I mean I know it's been 2 seasons, but these two getting together could ruin the chemistry of the show. I have no problem with these two getting together, in fact I was rooting for them. But we could have got more buildup or development between the two.

The one liners were lazily written, and you could just tell TBBT lost a bit of it's spark. I mean the group going to Texas to apologize to Sheldon? The whole cowboy hat thing was ridiculously unfunny, and it was something you'd see on 2 1/2 Men. I just know that TBBT is known as a clever show, and this episode surely wasn't very clever. Hopefully the next episode is better, and Penny & Leonard sleeping together wont affect this show too much.
  • Season Premiere.

The Big Bang Theory returned and while there were a few solid laughs, it would be hard to describe this show as anything other than Two and a Half Men-lite. From the inappropriate "dictator" jokes to the odd, nonsensical dialogue, this is clearly Chuck Lorre's B show.

So, how do I justify the high score? Because Jim Parsons is the best lead actor in a comedy and was royally screwed at the Emmy Awards the previous night. Sheldon Cooper is just such a well-written character and his performance here was enough to salvage this episode and the insane get together of Penny and Leonard.
  • rather lazy, mildly entertaining, the show can do much better

I found this episode to be a little underwhelming when compared to most of last season. First of all, I think the cheated by not showing how Penny and Leonard actually reunited upon his return. When we last saw them, Penny made a point of not telling Leonard how she relly felt about him. I know this is a sitcom where characterization often plays second fiddle to the jokes, but they could at least have shown a quick take where she just throws caution into the wind when he comes back. Even apart from that, the whole Sheldon storyline -- while providing us again with the highlight of the show, the exchanges between Penny and Sheldon -- pretty much went nowhere fast. He's angry and emvarassed, so he flees california only to return immediately after his friends follow him to Texas. Having said that, the banter between Penny and Sheldon was funny as always, plus there were a few solid laughs in the rest of dialogue, though the "we all slept naked together to keep warm" jokes wore out their welcome early on. All in all, it was mildly entertaining, but rather sub-par when compared to the latter half of last season.
  • Back and still funny

Sheldon flies back to Texas in disgrace when he learns the guys tampered with his arctic expedition data, forcing the guys to follow him and threatening Leonard's hopes for a romantic encounter with Penny. A great episode back for The Big Bang Theory, very funny and it continued the story well from the season 2 finale. I missed this show over the summer there wasnt much funny TV but I'm glad this is back because its back to what you want to expect from the series, loved the Comic con and Star Trek joke even though it was kind of seen it coming. Welcome back The Big Bang Theory.
  • The boys are back from the North Pole

The boys come back from their trip to the North Pole with beards, Penny immediately starts kissing Leonard and Sheldon thinks that trip was so successful that he should win the Noble Prize. Raj and Howard tell Sheldon the truth: they faked the data they did this as it was the only option that they had from killing him instead.

Sheldon is distraught he's the butt of all jokes at the university and Penny tries but talking about Star Trek makes it worse so he runs back home to his mum, the guys go drive all the way to Texas to fetch him back.
  • great episode back

• Great opening for the season very funny! :D

poor Sheldon or shelly lool . its always about him he poor guy .. lool :))
    but i really liked the episode it was funny .. but the thing i didnt like is when Leonard saw Penny i mean come on this show is about Penny and Leonard and that they cn't get together .. and just like that they kiss each other !! i mean not like that lool
    but it was nice too .. but what was funny that what the guys did with Sheldon .. the poor guy he was destroyed .. but his mom lol i like the charecter and wish to see it more in the show .. i mean she really scrae sheldon "shelly' lol
  • Third Season Premiere

This has become one of my favorite shows. But I have to say this episode was great but yet disappointing, I mean I loved it, but I was little let down. The third season opens with the guys returning from the North Pole with beards. Leonard and Penny kisss! Sheldon gets mad when he learns his friends changed his experiment around so he leaves and goes home to Texas. Penny and Leonard are making out and Hoaward and Raj tell them Sheldon left, so Penny tells Leonard he needs to go and bring Sheldon home. I really liked seeing Sheldon's mom and his home. haha. So Penny and Leonard are finally together. Here's to a great third season!
  • Season 3 Premiere

It was a huge disappointment to see Jim Parsons not win an Emmy this time. But, I was pretty satisfied that the show got some good exposure.

Season 3 opener is just as good as it gets. Right from the scene where the gang returns from north pole looking like Rip Van Winkle we knew we were going to have a laughter riot. Wolowitz and Raj pitched it with some really funny one liners. BBT has always been about the chemistry between Sheldon and Penny. And this episode made no exceptions. On the other hand, I am not a huge fan of seeing a romantic plot in the story. And so, it would be great if they break off Leonard and Penny.
  • It's Back and "Leonard..It's orquad"!

Season 3 is finally here and what a great episode to shoot off this brand spankin' new season! In my opinion, this is probably one of my favorite first episode of all of the seasons. Sheldon, Leonard, Raj, Howard and Penny are back and it looks like there may be some possibility that Leonardand Penny could stay together this time for real, but at the end (Spoiler)where Leonard talks to Penny about Orquardness between them two, it may not go on. But that might just be a joke and they would get through it. I was laughing my Pants off when I saw all of the Guys had grown facial Hair! For once I felt even more sorry for Sheldon when he hears the terrible news. But I also love how all of this gets resolved my his Mother proving him wrong. A Great Episode, let us hope the entire Season will stay that way!
  • I thought it was pretty good!

Not REALLY what I was expecting but I was very satisfied and the writing was solid. I just can't believe Sheldon's own friends would betray him like that but I guess I could understand since he was being quite the "DICtator" in the words of Howard. The scenes in Texas with Sheldon and his mom (especially the prayer at the dinner table) were funny, especially with Howard acting like a cowboy. I also saw the Star Trek "spoiler" coming a mile away but I thought that was funny. And I loved Sheldon's "colon with a capital D" joke. And when he "reunited" with his cushion. And the guys looked so funny with their long overgrown hair and beards--of course Sheldon only had a "Spock" beard! All I can say is this episode was a "hoot and a half" in the words of Sheldon and I hope this means we have another fantastic season. The ratings will sure go up since it's on at a later time. 4/5!
  • We return to see the boys coming back from their Polar Expedition. We quickly find out that Penny really missed Leonard and that Leonard, Howard, and Rajesh all fudged Sheldon's data. Sheldon becomes humiliated as he had announced his discovery already.

A really good start to the new season. I was a little surprised with Penny's response to seeing Leonard because they have always been so reticent to discuss their feelings with each other. Actually it was hilarious what Leonard, Howard, and Rajesh did, but they should have told Sheldon earlier. Who knew he would e-mail everyone before he even returned home.

I can actually see them all conspiring to mess with the data just so he would be in a good mood. Could you imagine spending three months in that enclosed space with an unhappy Sheldon! Leave it to a bunch of intelligent scientists to come up with that solution to the problem.

Sheldon's mother was funny and you knew he was only going to be able to stand that for just so long. Sheldon's mother versus dealing with his failure? You knew that he would come back to California. No contest. You had to feel for Leonard with the constant interruptions, but in the end he and Penny got together. To bad about the awkward moment at the end. So that sort of leaves us hanging again.

Funny enjoyable episode with the usual hi jinx. I'm glad it's back. Nice ending to the CBS Monday night comedy block. Thanks for reading...