The Big Bang Theory

The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 21, 2009 on CBS

• rather lazy, mildly entertaining, the show can do much better

I found this episode to be a little underwhelming when compared to most of last season. First of all, I think the cheated by not showing how Penny and Leonard actually reunited upon his return. When we last saw them, Penny made a point of not telling Leonard how she relly felt about him. I know this is a sitcom where characterization often plays second fiddle to the jokes, but they could at least have shown a quick take where she just throws caution into the wind when he comes back. Even apart from that, the whole Sheldon storyline -- while providing us again with the highlight of the show, the exchanges between Penny and Sheldon -- pretty much went nowhere fast. He's angry and emvarassed, so he flees california only to return immediately after his friends follow him to Texas. Having said that, the banter between Penny and Sheldon was funny as always, plus there were a few solid laughs in the rest of dialogue, though the "we all slept naked together to keep warm" jokes wore out their welcome early on. All in all, it was mildly entertaining, but rather sub-par when compared to the latter half of last season.