The Big Bang Theory

The Griffin Equivalency

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 13, 2008 on CBS

• Raj gets into a prestigious group and annoys the heck out of everybody.

7.7
    For the most part, I think this show has a weaker supporting cast that makes most of the comedy fall on Sheldon's back (and sometimes Leonard's, though he's too hit or miss for me to consider him really funny). For me, it was Raj that brought the episode down. Everyone else was pretty great, especially Howard, who used his skeezy flirty attitude to create great jokes here, and especially Sheldon, with his fake smile. But Raj just isn't that interesting of a character, at least not enough to warrant an entire episode revolving around him.

Raj gets accepted into a group that looks at thirty people who are under thirty that are impressive in the world of science or something like that. Of course, the prestige goes to Raj's head and he starts acting like a jerk to all his friends. Sheldon is particularly annoyed with Raj's gloating, and the episode creates one of the show's best gags by showing Sheldon's fake smiles in an attempt to appear genuinely happy. Jim Parsons does a great job in every episode, and he allows himself to do ridiculous things in the name of comedy and the show.

And as I briefly mentioned before, Howard was pretty funny here. He may seem somewhat one note, but when he calls Raj "Mr. Apu from the Simpsons" and announces his screen name for a dating website is "Wealthy Big Penis I thought it was hilarious and funnier than usual for a character such as his.

Meanwhile, I don't really care all that much for this on and off again, will they won't they push between Leonard and Penny. Is there anything that indicates that they have any connection whatsoever? If there is, I'm not really seeing it.

Besides the Raj plot, the episode was not bad. But seriously, make Raj more interesting or forget about him.