The Big Bang Theory

The Hofstadter Isotope

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 13, 2009 on CBS

7.7
  • Off His Shoulders

The cycle is broken, the world expands. This was possibly the defining moment for Big Bang, finally allowing its characters to branch out and open up and explore different relationships among the universe. I both loved and hated how quickly Penny got on with Stuart. I loved that they left Sheldon at home on Friday, effectively taking the show off his shoulders. I loved that Raj was the only one who scored, because let's face it, he's the real ladies man. Great episode - keep these coming.
  • Sorry

While Stuart (Kevin Sussman), a fellow comic book-loving pal of the guys romances Penny, Leonard and Wolowitz venture out into the world of "Ladies' Night" at a local bar. Penny needed a comic book for her nephew's birthday, so she goes to the comic book store with the guys. Stuart, its owner, is also an artist. Leonard feels he and Stuart are basically the same person (IE, the titular "isotope" of "Hofstadter"), so it pains him to see Penny with Stuart. He asks Wolowitz to "take me to a bar with women." However, Raj is the only one who succeeds in getting a girl, which baffles Wolowitz, who had been failing all night. Meanwhile, Sheldon interrupts Stuart's date with Penny to debate who should assume the identity of The Batman following the Batman R.I.P. storyline (Sheldon thinks Dick Grayson, Stuart Jason Todd); Sheldon "wins" the discussion when Stuart announces he is tired and wants to leave, whereupon they discover that Penny has fallen asleep from boredom. I f you read my last couple of reviews this review is a combination of lazy and I already reviewed these episodes.
  • Penny with a comic guy !!! lool

i really like most of the episodes starting,like this time !! the guys wonna go wild on the "Thursday any thing could happen!" and they are eating tie food!! lol and they wonna go to a bar but but Sheldon wonna go to the comic books store haha xD
    and Penny!! who though she'll like a random comic books guy!! poor Leonard :)
    and the stupid comic guy "isn't too late for coffee??" that is hilarious, he and Sheldon were stupid, i really loved the scene, arguing about batman in the middle of the night while Penny want to get some !!

7.2
    Good episode of Big Bang tonight, I just felt like they could have done a little more with the story line.

The episode felt unfinished by the end. Penny's story line was good and funny especially when Sheldon got involved but for some reason the plot with Leonard, Raj, and Howard was cliche and predictable. Guys going to a bar to meet women? Yeah, that hasn't been done before. (Yes I am being sarcastic). The worst part was that it wasn't that funny. Seeing Sheldon in a bar full of women would have been funnier but oh well.

Penny's decision to date the comic book store guy was a bit out of character but it was great to see Leonard jealous. Also I thought it was funny how Sheldon just stepped in to Penny & Stuart's date. Good episode overall, just felt a bit unfinished by the end.
  • This episode was a great example of why I love this show.

Every episode I am amazed at the witty humor and this episode certainly does not let you down.

The guys begin by trying to switch up their typical routine for Thursday night, "Anything can happen Thursday". This leads to a spontaneous trip to the comic book store. When Penny tags along to find a comic for her nephew's birthday things take a turn for the worse for Leonard when she gets picked up by the store owner. In effort to distract himself from the idea of Penny dating someone other than himself, Leonard asks Howard and Raj to take him to a bar where they can meet women. Things get interesting when Raj is the only one successful at picking someone up.

Overall this was a great episode.
  • Penny dates a nerd. Howard, Raj, and Leonard hit the bar scene

For most part, this episode was just killing time with some usual stuff that wasn't all that funny. We had some fine lines from Sheldon and Howard, that made the rest of the show watchable.

We really loved it when Sheldon lets out a breathless string of scientific jargon for a whole 2 minutes. Now that we've seen 30 odd episodes, it kind of looks like he's reading it from some signboards or a prompter. I am sure most of you would disagree, but it has lost its effect. The bar scene was a good one where Howard tries hard to score with chicks. I loved his strategy of going for the less fortunate ones after the better ones get takes; sounds lame but funny. Raj gets drunk again to make out with an obese woman- the last scene was funny stuff.
  • An excellent example of what this show is all about.

This may just be the episode I would pick out if someone asked me for a recommended episode because they wanted to start 'possibly watching the show' or 'see if they would enjoy it'. Every major character is at his/her best, and they all excel at showing their many quirks and nuances and everything we've grown to love about them. Sheldon is hysterical and neurotic as always in his indifference to tradition/change, Leonard is wonderful as he pines for Penny's affection, Howard is magnificent while planning for a possible night out at a bar to pick up women (and even better once he gets there), Raj needs to be inebriated simply to speak to women and steals every scene he is in, and, well, Penny is simply her gorgeous, hilarious self. And the whole theme of the episode exposing Leonard's conundrum in trying to figure out how to (and why he hasn't already) won Penny's more-than-a-friend affection (although hinted at during this show's run many times prior) is executed marvelously.
  • The comic book store owner dates Penny.

7.3
    I would have given this episode a higher score if the beginning was not so boring and completely laugh free. But when Sheldon and Stuart started arguing, and Howard and Leonard were the Dynamic duo at the bar things began to head in the right direction

Sheldon getting owned by Stuart was truly a site to see, and they handled in a much more clever way than when the awful Leslie simply called him "dummie".

The Big Bang Theory has just been in a slump, and hopefully they can rebound from it after such a strong start to this second season.