The Big Bang Theory

The Panty Piñata Polarization

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 10, 2008 on CBS

• Well-Played

I actually think my favorite interactions are between Penny and Sheldon (all the more reason for them to "try each other out" as it goes). It allows me to overlook the fact that Sheldon's carrying the show and that Leonard, Raj and Howard are pretty useless as far as comedy goes. I want to see them more involved, but episodes like this are well-worth the dry spell.
  • Penny vs. Sheldon! Game on!!!

This episode is an instant favorite, one of the best of season 2. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thought Sheldon was a nutcase (not to say it doesn't come with some good laughs), but it's always fun when of the cast has fun with it. This one is a perfect example of that. Howard and Raj's side plot was okay, but it wasn't as funny as Penny and Sheldon squaring off with Leonard trying to act as referee.

Penny innocently makes a mistake that earns her a strike in Sheldon's insane head. We learn here that Sheldon keeps track of everyone's strikes and after 3 strikes, that person is given a punishment and has the option of taking Sheldon's class in order to have them removed, just like when you get a ticket while driving. After learning that Sheldon had given her another strike for forwarding a funny email to him (funny for normal people), Penny decides to make a stand against Sheldon's ludicrous rules, which earns her her final strike and banishment from the apartment. It's never understood how he got her to leave since she's stronger than he is lol.

Now, Leonard, Howard and Raj have already made a habit of looking the other way when this situation happens to them, but Penny stays firm to her stand and treats Sheldon in a similar way and banishes him from the Cheesecake Factory. It's here that I found myself totally on Penny's side. When Leonard tries to get her to apologize just so the whole ordeal would be over, she says she's not going to apologize for something that's not her fault, and she's right. I mean, I'll admit Sheldon is funny is the non-tradition way, but he has some irrational tendencies. Penny even makes a point that her stand isn't entirely about her; it's about not encouraging Sheldon's tendencies so he always thinks he can do them, which is true, just like when you give a crying kid a toy so he/she will stop crying. Eventually the kid is going to think he/she will get something for crying.

Anyway, back to the episode. Because of Penny's banishment, Sheldon makes an off-camera discussion with her manager, who like everyone else probably gave in so he'd stop, and Penny has to serve him. She one-ups him by putting the idea into his head that she's done something to his meal. We don't know if she actually did but it's funny either way. This sets off a chain reaction. Sheldon responds to Penny's alleged tampering with his food by kicking her off the guy's WIFI, which is accompanied by a video of Sheldon basically saying she can have access again if she apologizes to him. To keep Penny from resorting to physical violence, Howard tried to get her access, which triggers another video of Sheldon giving everyone an additional strike for trying to help her.

While Sheldon may have the advantage of technology, Penny takes an old-school approach and takes advantage of Sheldon's neurotic schedule by occupying all the laundry machines in the building on Sheldon's laundry day, to which Sheldon retaliates by hanging all the clothes from the machines on the telephone line outside the apartment. It's at this point that Penny is willing to call a truce, but as we all know Sheldon will never admit when he's wrong, so the war continues.

Leonard, wanting this to end, gives Penny Sheldon's "kryptonite" - his mother's phone number. This was my favorite scene when his mom calls him and all you see is Sheldon looking depressed and trying and failing miserably to voice his stand. I love Leonard's reaction in this scene, especially after Sheldon asks him if he gave Penny his mom's number. Sheldon returns Penny's clothes and finally admits he's sorry to her. She accepts his apology and apologizes back. The war is finally over.

I love episodes where the main cast is the focus without really any guest stars. I feel those are the best stories, just the main characters being themselves. Sheldon's idiosyncrasies are funny with just seeing the ones he has but are even more funny with someone calling him out on them. Plus, watching someone do something that makes Sheldon's eye do that twitching thing is always hilarious!

This episode has instantly become one of the best episodes of The Big Bang Theory thus far. So much classic elements that makes this show great. The writers are really hitting a home run here, that's right I used a baseball metaphor, as did Sheldon in this hysterical episode of The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon & Penny interactions are always going to be the best thing about this show, and I'm glad the writers have realized that. Them going to war against each other was wildly entertaining, not to mention absolutely hilarious. This episode is definitely under appreciated.

Leonard scenes were kept to a minimum, Leslie was completely absent, Penny & Sheldon were funnier than ever and I even found myself laughing at Raj & Howard's plot even though it was a bit ridiculous, it was entertaining. A perfect episode of TBBT. Keep it coming!
  • Penny, Sheldon you both AWESOME!!!

what a hilarious episode hahhaa :D
    Penny and Sheldon really screwed each other up, how they tease each other, it was funny!!!
    and how finally Penny made Sheldon to apolagize my calling his MOM !!!! haha,, i laughed and laughed and laughed ..
    also ,, the two stupid Howard and Rajesh , how they were looking for the next top model house !!
    Google earth, military robot pains!! and they dont call them selves sick !! and when they found the house and went there .. and how they looked so small comparing to the models OMG hahaha
    this was one of the best episodes of the big bang theory i really love this show :D
  • Season 2, Episode 7.

Kudos to the writers for making season 2 of The Big Bang Theory not boring! Unfortunately, they were a season too late, in my opinion. I really liked the idea for this episode, even though I didn't get to see the first 10 minutes or so. It was so fun though. Not funny, but fun to watch. It was very entertaining. Miss Cuoco is pretty cool. I liked her ever since she was in Charmed. Plus, she was cool in 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter. I liked this episode, especially when Penny walks out of the apartment yelling, "I'm banished?!" LMAO! Good episode!
  • Another great episode...

This was easily one of the best episodes of The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon Vs Penny is something we see each week but this was a lot more of that and it was much, much more extreme. I loved every second of this episode Howard and Raj where even funny searching for the house of models. The laundry night scene made me LMAO. The best part of this was when Sheldon was told off by his mum. overall this was one of the funniest episodes of The Big Bang Theory, I give it a good episode 9.5 out of 10 .
  • Easily my favorite episode of season 2

This has to be my favorite episode of season 2, next to "Killer Robot" and "Barbarian Sublimation." Sheldon bans Penny from the apartment after she gets her third "Sheldon strike." For touching his onion ring and sitting in his spot. And the other was sending Sheldon a Lolcatz picture. Penny vows to get even for this, but Sheldon is on to her and keeps getting her back. Leonard has a way to get him to apologize, by secretly giving her Sheldon's "kryptonite" which is his mother's phone number and Mrs. Cooper orders Sheldon to apologize to Penny, which he does. Meanwhile Howard and Raj use different methods, like the Internet and military satellite/space craft to search for the America's Next Top Model house. I enjoyed both plots of this episode, and especially Howard's "if it's wrong to use the Internet to find a house full of aspiring supermodels then fine, I'm creepy" line. lolz. But I loved the Sheldon/Penny story more, and especially Sheldon's evil "mwa-ha-ha" laugh. lolz! I give this episode an A!
  • Sheldon's uses a baseball metaphor

No doubt this was funny; but still there was something lacking in this episode. Maybe, there just wasn't enough of Jim Parson's this time around. Maybe, Wolowitz's women delusions played the spoilsport. Maybe, Leonard did a good job this time, that it overshadowed Sheldon's performance.

Here we see, Sheldon use a baseball analogy of 3 -strikes to banish Penny from his apartment. According to this rule, Penny can annoy Sheldon a maximum of 3 times, before she is cut off. And as we can expect, Penny does annoy him for the third time, and they officially enter into a war. Penny disrupts Sheldon's laundry night, and in retaliation, he puts her clothes on the telephone line. Later Sheldon finally settles for a truce, after talking to his mother.

Not a typical BBT episode. Sheldon's saves the day and at least makes it enjoyable to watch.
  • Sheldon and Penny go to war.

7.3
    The Big Bang Theory has been dominating the comedy world this season, but unfortunately this episode was not up to those standards. Still, there were plenty of funny moments: Sheldon's evil laugh, Sheldon's taped computer messages and pretty much everything else Sheldon did. If Jim Parsons does not at least get nominated for an Emmy this year it will be a felony.

While I admit it was risky to drift away from the working formula of solely Sheldon-centric episodes, but this was cleverly plotted. Penny played the part well and Kaley Cuoco is proving her critics wrong that she is not good enough for this show.

I usually enjoy Howard's nonstop pursuit of women, but the America's Next Top Model storyline came off as very fillerish. I understand that every week cannot be a classic, but that did have an effect on my score here.