The Big Bang Theory

The Rothman Disintegration

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 16, 2012 on CBS

• Sheldon and Kripke compete for the recently unoccupied office.

I got excited for this episode after the previews because of the basketball scenes. After the episode, all I can say is that was probably my favorite part, if I liked any. The episode was just "eh" and not that exciting. However, it was nice to see Kripke again. The girls' subplot was random but still boring. Amy's love for Penny is a little scary but it can be funny. Penny's initial reaction at the large painting was great. However, nothing much happened. Hope next week is a vast improvement as it is the last of six straight new episodes.
  • Was it good? No. Was it bad? No. Then what is it? It's Just Okay

When a new office space is made available, Sheldon goes head to head with his nemesis, Kripke, for the right to move in. Meanwhile, Penny is unsettled by painting given to her by Amy. Eh, this was just an okay episode of "The Big Bang Theory". I think that this is probably the weakest episode of the season so far. There were have been some pretty weak episodes but they unfortunately not as weak as this one. So yeah, this episode wasn't that good and it's disappointing for a person like me who enjoys the show a lot but it wasn't a bad episode either. It was also very good to see Kripke again... too bad Kripke appeared in the weakest episode of this season though. I've gotten some laughs not really any huge ones. Funniest part of the episode is probably when Sheldon explains the game "Rock Paper Scissors Lizards Spock etc." to Kripke and then explained it one more time (although, that scene was a little bit of a filler since Sheldon took a while to explain it). As for the subplot with Amy showing her love to Penny by giving her a painting of Amy and herself was just very creepy and not very funny. I admit, I got a few chuckles out of the subplot but that's it. Amy continues to be the most annoying and unfunny character of this show right next to Bernadette. Amy and Bernadette are EQUALLY the most annoying and unfunny characters of this show (no offense to the fans but it's true sadly). Sheldon winning the office was very nice though and the ending was kinda funny. Overall, this was just an okay episode of "The Big Bang Theory"... I know the writers can do better than this though. 6/10
  • one of the best episodes

i dont get why u ppl complain.i love al the episodes of tbbt and this is one of my favorite:)enjoy the show and stop complaing!!!
  • "You realize I am your boss and I am holding my penis!?"

Quite a bit more entertaining than the last one for sure. The two plots in this episode concern Sheldon and Kripke going for the retiring Profressor Rothman's office, as well as Amy buying a huge painting of Penny and herself to give to Penny. Of course, she hates this and attempts to hide it from Amy.

Season 5 of "The Big Bang Theory" has been as bad as the last three seasons, pretty much. This season has more often taken inspiration from "Friends" and deliberately, and louisily, incorporated successful plot elements from "Friends" into this far less successful episode. The Amy/Penny plot in this episode is reminiscent to an episode where Phoebe gives Monica a hideous doll (from Season 10), much to Monica's dislike. This episode features Amy giving Penny a huge painting, that Penny hates, and tries to keep secret. Later in the season (in the finale), each of the five friends get ordained online for Howard/Bernedette's wedding (YUCK!). And there was other Friends "rip off" in this season. This just shows that the show has absolutely ZERO purpose.

I'd like to point out an unintentional piece of humour I spotted during this episode. When viewing her new "gift" with Berneadette, Berneadette exclaims "THAT ENORMOUS, UNSETTLING, CRAZY FACE", which just so happens to be an unintentional contradiction on her own behalf. She is the one who's most annoying, who is unsettling and just so happens to be an enormous atrocity. Melissa Rauch has cringe inducing, terrible dialogue to work with, which she makes WORSE by her annoying facial expressions. NOTHING Bearnedette says can be classified as funny. Her multiple jokes in this episode about "transvestite" Penny and the "huge man in the painting" are entirely UNFUNNY.

I did, on the other hand, enjoy the Sheldon story until I felt the episode was structured so poorly. At around the 15 minute mark, the episode felt finished (due to a lack of content) but then, it felt as though another plot was opening up. Poorly written in that regard. I am also shocked to realize that Mark Cendrowski has directed EVERY episode of the show, virtually. That helps explain the degrading quality of the show.
  • better than the some prevoius...

sheldon is funny as always... episode is good compared to some prevoius one..s
  • Another poor episode, in a poor series

The basketball to some extent apart, this was extremely weak. Going back to essentially catch phrases - "I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested", for example, and in this case "rock paper scissors lizard spock" - not once but three times - is a sure sign that the writers are running/have run out of ideas.

Not as bad as last week, which was one of the worst episode in what has been a very disappointing series, but I am so, so sick of Amy. She's not remotely funny, just relentlessly annoying, and Raj & Howard are rarely funny now, either. Howard has barely had a good line since he hooked up with Bernadette.

After the weak start to series 2, this came back with a vengeance, but all of this series and a lot of series 4 have been pitifully poor. It desperately needs the writers to find a new gear, and to really shake up the show, which I'm afraid is currently in "jumped the shark" territory.
  • I can't take it anymore...

the geek humor is gone replaced by "Joe Smo" humor. The integration of the female characters has been poor; with a poor understanding the female humor bone by male writers. The heavy reliance of the Sheldon character has all of the other characters pushed off to the side when it was the opposite in the beginning of the series showing Sheldon as a sounding board to showing society's own quirks and regimens. It has turned into a one-trick pony with below average story telling.

To quell my disappointment I've had to stop watching the show.