The Big Bang Theory

The Speckerman Recurrance

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Dec 08, 2011 on CBS

7.3
  • Almost shameless

I twice caught myself checking my watch and looking for something else to do when I watched this episode. As if it was needed to say anything apart from that, the theme was boring and the episode did not add a single brick to the construction of the main story of the show. The lines are dull and poor. If this was the first TBBT episode I watched I would definitely not watch another one, and that's a big thing coming from a geek like I am. A deception, the worst TBBT episode so far to my eyes.
  • Steady but not outstanding.

This had all the feel of a "filler" episode but was still good for a few laughs, if not hitting the high notes.

Primarily centered on Leonard and Sheldon, with an aside of the three girls, I didn't get any sense of coherence during the show.

I believe the addition of the other two girls as a foil for Penny has been a good idea right from their introduction but this episode fell pretty flat for me, with the back story for them not raising my interest much.

I much prefer it when the boys and girls interact as this provides balance for the comedy.

I suppose there will now be a few weeks gap 'till the next episode and I have to say that this is one aspect of American TV shows that rankles on me as a Brit.

Pretty much all British shows have a Christmas "special" (usually filmed earlier in the year, of course) that tides the watchers over the holiday period and I wish the American system would follow suit.

Anyway, a decent episode but not filled with belly laughs, this week.

• The worst episode of the entire series.

I was really disappointed with this episode. First the bully was apologetic and friendly to Leonard, but when he sobered up, he went back to being a total jerk, (putting it mildly.) Then it ends with the bully chasing Leonard and Sheldon. I probably would have enjoyed this episode a lot more if either Leonard or Sheldon popped the guy in the nose, or pulled a George Mc Fly and punched him out.

At least in the episode "The Zarnecki Incursion," When the guys attempted to confront the guy who hacked into Sheldon's World of Warcraft account, and they failed, Penny arrived, told the guy that "a girl was going to touch him in his special place." then preceded to kick him in the tots. THAT was a satisfactory ending!

I will be more forgiving about this episode if the bully returns, and Leonard finally takes a stand...and wins!
  • Good, but not your best :)

I liked it. But I think the series should be more "carry-over" because at the moment the episodes are random new plots. Whereas it would be cool to see one episode lead to the next. But I'm a fan...so as long as you keep making eps, all good.
  • A high school bully wants to meet Leonard for a drink but Leonard becomes hesitant about it

Leonard is hesitant when a bully from high school wants to meet for a drink. Meanwhile, Penny comes to realize she was a bully herself. I thought that this was good/decent episode of "The Big Bang Theory". It wasn't the funniest or greatest episode I've ever seen but it was still enjoyable. Both storylines were just decent but not great. I didn't really like the whole "Penny steals the donated clothes" storyline because that just shows how Penny doesn't care about people and can be selfish which is what lowered my score. Sheldon was also a little annoying in this episode which lowered my score as well. I also didn't like when the high school bully near the end of the episode called Leonard "Nancy" like he did in high school and all that stuff after when Leonard was kind to let him sleep in his apartment when the high school bully was drunk. The ending also wasn't good as well. I didn't get any huge laughs in this episode like I have been in this past season but the mildly funny parts was when Sheldon said "You would think a winner would make a decent cup of hot chocolate", the school bully saying how he would put Hersey's Kisses on Leonard's nipples and then Raj makes a comment "That's where the ladies want to lick them" (or something close to that), and a few more. Overall, this was a good/decent episode of "The Big Bang Theory" BUT I've much more funnier and better episodes this season than this installment. 7.5/10

• Leonard meets up with his high school bully.

This wasn't one of Season 5's best. Leonard's high school bully from New Jersey is randomly visiting Pasadena, California to visit him. The scene at the bar was too long and I thought the list of things he did to him as teenagers was a little unrealistic. (the fact that he wrote a list) It was good to see Sheldon stand up for Leonard but to see spineless Leonard let a drunk Jimmy sleep on his couch was pathetic. A sober Jimmy returned to his obnoxious self the next morning, and Leonard made about as much of a "stand" as he's ever made, although I was hoping he'd of done something more epic like punch him in the face. If not that, I didn't like how Leonard and Sheldon running down the stairwell was the closing sequence to the A plot. The B plot, I just thought, was there to get 24 minutes of episode in. Again, Penny, Bernadette, and Amy together provided a boring storyline.

• The Big Bang Theory: The Afterschool Special

4.8

It wasn't that bad, but this was like an old ABC Afterschool Special in regards to the subject matter for both storylines. Penny stealing clothes was kind of funny, but they got to that part way too late in the episode as the scene at the bar ran for 5 minutes too long.

Bang has been up and down this year and while I got a few chuckles tonight (Sheldon's, "You'd think a winner would be able to make a decent cup of hot chocolate," line got me) the show could benefit from new writers.