The Big Bang Theory

The Zazzy Substitution

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 2010 on CBS

• If you didn't like this episode, it's a Shamy.

I think this episode is the best of the current season, but then I like cats, and unlike some, I've enjoyed the Sheldon-Amy arc. I would have been disappointed after last season's finale had they not explored the relationship between Sheldon and Yoko, I mean Amy.

It's a mark of how (relatively) socialized Sheldon has become that he feels comfortable translating his friends' conversations and actions to Amy. From Amy, we get a better picture of what Sheldon may have been like when Leonard first moved in.

Sheldon's interaction with the cats was delightful, despite the break in continuity. He seemed so fond of them that it seemed incongruous that he could part with all of them so readily.

Laurie Metcalf, as always, was pure comedy gold. I sometimes wish that Sheldon had been raised in Arizona rather than Texas, since that would make it plausible to bring Ms. Metcalf in more often as a guest.

I have to downgrade the episode somewhat because of the very poor continuity of this episode. Others have mentioned that Sheldon previously didn't like cats and was allergic to them. On top of that his mother had another brother ("Stumpy") that he was seemingly unaware of only last week. Furthermore, Sheldon couldn't even keep the names of his cats straight throughout the episode.

Personally, I feel that ignoring continuity in an otherwise sharp show such as this is disrespectful to the most loyal fans. One of the delights of Seinfeld was the way that they would take some seemingly throw-away incident in one episode and have it suddenly play a prominent part in an episode weeks or months later. You can't do that sort of thing when you pay no attention to continuity.

I'm also a little disappointed in the lack of growth in the other characters (well, I don't expect or want it from Wolowitz). There must be some level of familiarity with women that would allow Koothrappali to talk to them without drinking (after all, he talks to his mother without being drunk). I would expect that after this amount of time, he would at least be able to converse with Penny. The whispered remarks to Wolowitz are getting tiresome.

Leonard seems to come to front and center only when he's in a relationship with a woman. Otherwise, he serves only to react to Sheldon. While I like him with Penny, his relationship with her should have boosted his confidence enough that he could be dating other women.