The Big C

Happy Birthday, Cancer

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 11, 2010 on Showtime

• I'm willing to ignore the enormous cop-out of last week, but only because this episode had some strong acting and writing.

I was furious with the show last week for taking a superb episode and ruining it by hinting at the fact that Kathy would tell Sean about her cancer. If the show continues to do this all the time, I'll lose all hope. However, I must put my frustrations aside and say one thing: this episode was great. There was a great guest star in Cynthia Nixon, some great character interactions and just overall good writing.

It's Cathy's birthday, and while she's tempted to join Lenny on his trip to the Bahamas as a treat to herself, things take a turn towards the unexpected after Paul throws her a surprise party. To make things more awkward, Lenny shows up to pick up Cathy for the Bahamas and meets Paul. And the icing on the cake is that Cathy's best friend from college arrives and begins drawing out Cathy's more impulsive side.

The episode was what I call "controlled chaos." There was a lot going on, but Darlene Hunt slowly helped it unfold in a way that wasn't overwhelming. For a character we've never met, Cathy's college friend (played perfectly by Cynthia Nixon) takes on a personality of her own, and with just a few scenes, we feel as if we already know her. And as for Paul and Lenny, we had a great conversation between them, and despite Paul's stupidity at times, he really does seem to love Cathy. However, it may be too little too late. The ending of the episode was superb, and Oliver Platt should seriously be considered for a possible Emmy nomination after this.

Marlene's decreasing mental functioning seems strange but I have a feeling it'll take the show to interesting places. Also, Sean and Cathy's friends little love tryst in the basement should have some repercussions as well. And I must admit, I didn't know what to think of Lenny at first, but Idris Elba is doing a good job with the role. I must say, the show is going in promising places, but I hope the show will expand on the cancer idea. They did a good job of this starting off the season, but the show's felt a little all over the place lately. More Cathy, more cancer, less fooling with the audience!