The Big World Of Little Adam

(ended 1972)

The Big World Of Little Adam Fan Reviews (2)

• Techno Glee !

I may be the only person that you'll ever encounter in any medium whose favorite cartoon from childhood was (and still is) The Big World of Little Adam and for that very reason, I rated it a 9.9 of 10; it's quite simply my personal gold standard to which all others are compared. For close to three decades as an ardent video archiver, Little Adam was the one unattainable gem that I longed to find and when I finally did so just last year I found that every subsequent great find has been anti-climatic.

I won't bother rehashing the recurring storyline (if you've read this far, you know it) but let me hasten to point out something other reviewers I've read have glossed over...Little Adam did not exist in a vacuum. There were other toons of the era that sought to educate as well as entertain but most emphasized the latter rather than the former or were too juvenile, goofy, or boring ( The Funny Company immediately comes to mind and to a lesser extent, Johnny Quest). There were others that glorified gadgetry as well but none did so with such a 'noble' cause as Little Adam. We were on the verge of what we all thought then as the threshold of a virtual explosion of unfettered space travel and exploration and finding the cures for all of man's ills. As naive as it may sound today in the age of the War Against Everything and Everybody, we all actually believed that the Golden Age was upon us and that our benevolent military was the biggest player in ushering in the technical utopia we all knew was just around the corner. Yeah...naive but perhaps it's that very blissful ignorance that achingly resounds in my memory when I think of those sun-drenched golden mornings of 1964/65 filled with Icky Twerp's Slam Bang Theater, Science Fiction Theater, Men Into Space, the Dialing For Dollars Morning Movie and best of all, that tow-headed brat Adam and his nerdy brother, Wilbur.
  • Poor animation, but cute, watchable, and educational.

5.5
    It might be hard for younger viewers to believe, but there was actually a time when Space Shuttles didn\'t have multiple launches in a single year, and devices such as microwave ovens, personal computers, cellphones, plasma televisions, etc, etc, etc, didn\'t exist!

Given that, it was great for kids of the late 1960\'s through the early 70\'s to watch a 5-minute cartoon that not only explained the amazing aspects of the then-current world of science, but did it in a humorous manner, vis-a-vis a goofy, ignorant lad named Adam, and his brilliant brother, Wilbur. Do the characters sound familiar? Just transpose \"Adam\" into a girl named \"Dee-Dee\", and Wilbur into a boy named \"Dexter\"! Of course, \"Dexter\'s Lab\" never bothered with the educational angle! Or, if you prefer, turn the \"wayback\" machine to nearly a decade earlier, and change \"Wilbur\" into a cartoon dog named \"Mr Peabody\", through which the educational part was present, though subordinated to the adult humor.

I can remember watching \"The Big World of Little Adam\" with a youth\'s fascination, wondering what was around the corner
    through the brothers\' antics and discoveries! I wouldn\'t say that it had *that* much of an influence on me, but I\'m pretty certain that it affected me in ways that I couldn\'t even begin to imagine! And all in only five minutes per episode! Can you think of a single animated show, today, that teaches kids in a similar manner without them even being aware that they are learning something? (Don\'t worry, I won\'t hold my breath waiting for the answer!) ; )

Yes, the animation was stilted. But, the same could be same for many of today\'s toons, which given all the technology available in the 21st Century, nearly 40 years after \"The Big World...\" first came out, and only a few shows can truly be called \"advanced\" (shows like \"ReBoot\" and \"Jimmy Neutron\" are probably the best examples within the past decade; and both of these presented their shows with a modicum of education along with humor and action). And, given that the show was produced by the US Gov\'t under the auspices of the US Air Force (which was pretty cool for a kid to see in the credits!), it is clear why the animation was so low-grade: the US Gov\'t had other things on its mind, at the time! ; )
    (BTW, before anyone says otherwise, I don\'t recall any governmental propaganda in the series, which is pretty rare for the post-World War 2 / pre-Cold War era!)

So, if it\'s a choice between any five-minute episode of \"The Big World of Little Adam\" and the entire season of virtually any of today\'s animated fluff, you can guess which one I\'d choose!