The Bill Forums

ITV (ended 2010)

Cast No Shadow

cook567

[1]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 54

I have the two hour version that was shown opposite Children in Need back in 1999 on tape ( it was cobbled together with 'Betrayal' ) and titled as 'Cast No Shadow' as though it was a new episode.

I have noticed that this episode is not on the website where as 'Kiss Off Pts 1 and 2' and 'Target' (episodes cobbled together from others) are. Has this been missed off by mistake, or was it intentionally missed off due to it's title or lack of new content?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheOldBill

[2]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 94

The guide has carried Target (which compiled Fire, All Tucked Up and Bait into a single feature-length episode) since broadcast. Kiss Off Parts 1 and 2 were added because these were effectively new presentations of old material, with Old Flame, Push It and (the original) Kiss Off edited significantly to fit three episodes into the running time for two. These omnibus versions are included when The Bill is repeated on UKTV Gold and in overseas territories, supporting their status as official episodes.

The omnibus version of Cast No Shadow/Betrayal hasn't been added because, firstly, noone has submitted it — I wasn't aware of it until you posted. If it's an unedited version of the two episodes broadcast back-to-back, it might reasonably be treated as a repeat rather than, as in the case of the other two, a new presentation.

There may be a "missing" episode of The Bill somewhere: ABC number the Chris Parr/"Quinnan" episodes as 1621-1626, whereas they are 1620-1625 in this guide (when numbering from Light Duties, the first half-hour episode). However, the mismatch between the Thames production numbers (which are only occasionally cited by ABC) and the episodes included here appears to occur at some point in 2001/02, which counts against reckoning a 1999 broadcast of Cast No Shadow/Betrayal.

cook567

[3]Jul 30, 2008

I do not have the original 1 hour editions of Cast No Shadow and Betrayal to compare the 2 hour one with. The 2 hour one is copyrighted 1999 (like any omnibus i would suppose). Interestingly Eric Richard doesn't get a credit as Sgt. Cryer even though he appears and Chris Ellison is credited as Frank Burnside (with no DCI) before his name. I guess this should be treated as a repeat then? If so, can i submit that it was reshown as a feature length?

Also, in regard to the out of sequence numbering you mentioned, i noticed Woodentop is not on the guide (but is under Storyboard as it was part of that show), could ABC be counting that as an episode? The First Ten Years Book from 1994 mentions a first season episode as been canned due to industrial action but i doubt they would be counting that though.

I also noticed there isn't any air dates for Kiss Off Parts One and Two on the guide?

TheOldBill

[4]Jul 30, 2008

That (no credit for Richard, no rank for Burnside) reflects the crediting on the first showing of Cast No Shadow. I'd say it's worth a Note against the original broadcast.

My sense that there is a mismatch in episode numbering has nothing to do with Woodentop. Spill is officially episode 1000 of the fourth series (and has lifetime number 1035 here, as there were 35 episodes in the first three series). The episode guides from ABC in Australia have Cruise Control as 1539, Real Crime as 1540 and Tour of Duty as 1554 (1574, 1575 and 1589 in this guide) but the first Chris Parr/"Quinnan" episode as 1621/Q001, rather than 1620 as might have been expected. This mismatch continues into the Paul Marquess episodes, with Episode 033 billed as 1659/033. This may be of no significance: it might be an error on ABC's part, it might reflect the treatment of Beech on the Run. I meant only that if you had discovered a special broadcast of an omnibus episode of the show in 2001 I'd have been quicker to accept that it had some official standing.

I hope these ruminations help!

Edited on 07/30/2008 3:24pm

cook567

[5]Jul 31, 2008

Hmmm what a logistical nightmare!

I did have a thought earlier, i remember a 2 hour episode from around 2001 (i can't remember the name) where Reg Hollis had requested transfer to another unit (the royal protection i think but i may be mixing that up with Mike Jarvis) but he then gets implicated in the murder of an old lady in her home. Webb investigated it and Chandler appeared too if my thinking is right. I remember it because it was clearly a two parter put together to make a feature length. I did look for it on the guide and Bill Bios in the year by year page but couldn't find it. Maybe the difference in production numbers lies with that story?

TheOldBill

[6]Jul 31, 2008

No, but it's a good try. Happy and Glorious was originally shown as a two-hour episode in the UK, but as two-one hour episodes in overseas territories and on repeat on digital channel UKTV Gold. We treat it as two separate episodes here, as we do with the four Chris Parr episodes, 052/053, 055/056 and 063/064, all of which were doubled up on first broadcast. If we didn't, the misalignment would be worse!

Re billbios, did you know that the entire History section is a straight C&P from the official website as it stood in 1999?

cook567

[7]Aug 1, 2008

That's where i went wrong, i wasn't looking at the episodes on the guide that were 'part one' and 'part two' etc. thought it was down as the one. That is intriguing, i like the idea of a 'missing episode' but it probably a mistake at ABC.

No didn't realise that about billbios, though i had picked up the character bios were from the official site and weren't updated that often (when the billbios was regularly updated a couple of years back) with new developments for each character.