The Bill's New Format

Sonic2k5

[1]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 11

ITV Announces a new format for The Bill

23 Jan 09

ITV has today announced that for the first time on British television it will be running a drama all year round in the 9pm slot as The Bill is repositioned as a weekly show at the heart of the ITV1 schedule.

Later this year the multi-award winning programme will be re-launched in a post watershed slot allowing for a grittier, action filled series in a more traditional home for terrestrial drama. As the format changes from its current twice weekly run viewers will have an appointment to view each week in a dedicated slot.

The police drama celebrated its 25th anniversary last year, continuing to deliver intelligent, compelling and topical drama to peak audiences of over 6 million. The move to 9pm will enable the series to build on its strengths. Unique in always telling the narrative from the police point of view, The Bill will maintain its reputation for telling stories with integrity about its blue collar heroes and the challenges they face, digging deeper than ever before into the reality of policing the streets of modern Britain.

Peter Fincham, ITV's Director of Television said "I'm delighted to announce The Bill's transition to weekly 9pm drama on ITV1. It's a fantastic opportunity to take the series to another level, marking a new era for one of the most established brands on British television."

Lorraine Heggessey, CEO, added: "This is a huge vote of confidence from ITV in the show and is a genuine first on UK television. We are incredibly proud of the show and we look forward to embracing the new opportunities this will bring."

So what does it all mean is it now going to be on nightly @ 9PM ?????

And will this new format put Australia even more behind ???????????

Regards Sonic2k5

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheOldBill

[2]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 94
    It's going to be one episode a week in the 9 p.m. slot, meaning a reduction in the number of episodes produced and broadcast each year. One hopes that, when the show moves to its new slot, ITV resist the urge to pull the show to make way for soap awards, European football and unreality shows.

Sonic2k5

[3]Jan 24, 2009
    @TheOldBill

Thanks for helping me out with that answer does it mean australia will be further behind when the changes come into effect ??

Regards Sonic2ks

cook567

[4]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 54

I am looking forward to the reduction in episodes. We have too many murders with storylines, spread over two, three or more episodes.

I hope that by going down to one episode a week, some more imagination can be brought to the episodes being produced instead of filling the schedules with storylines that have been done before time and time again just to make up the numbers.

If a major storyline needs to be on more than once a week (like in the past when there was three episodes, such as the Beech/Boulton episodes) it would then get the coverage and justice that it would (hopefully!) deserve.

Placebo_obecalP

[5]Jan 29, 2009
    • level: 13
    cook567 wrote:

I am looking forward to the reduction in episodes. We have too many murders with storylines, spread over two, three or more episodes.

Personally I tend to enjoy those multi arc storylines and think The Bill is at its strongest when it does them, otherwise you have the rather tired and stale episodes where everyone is crammed in together:

First part Stamp and another plod meet some routine police matter RTA/burglary/assault.

Second part CID investigate some more serious offence.

Third part lo and behold the two parts are connected and they then solve it and the episode ends.

Edited on 01/29/2009 1:48am

reggierocket001

[6]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 8
    It's unlikely that we'll fall further behind in Australia. Currently we are about 5 months behind but this time two years ago we were seven months behind. With the reduction in the UK to one episode per week, we could catch up to being just a couple of weeks behind within a couple of months. Here's hoping the ABC does that and ITV don't intentionally hold back on this show's second largest market!

Placebo_obecalP

[7]Feb 17, 2009
    Well at least you have the superb series City Homicide to keep you going

Sonic2k5

[8]Mar 23, 2009
    I Hear Lisa Maxwell (DI Sam Nixon) is leaving the Bill i just hope they don't kill her and leave it open for her to return one day.

Regards Sonic2k5

paulwj

[9]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 28
    From what I have just read on sky news they have sacked Stamp (Graham Cole) as being too old and not sexy enough for the new 9pm format!
    he's annoyed to say the least

Placebo_obecalP

[12]Aug 2, 2009
    The new Bill is awful IMO and a complete insult to those of us who've watched it for 20+ years.

nquinnathome1

[13]Aug 6, 2009
    • level: 3
    I used to love The Bill; been watching it as long as I can remember. Tried to watch the new format, and I absolutely hate it. In one swoop, they've managed to destroy an excellent long-running series.

chajun

[14]Aug 21, 2009
    • level: 1
    STV in Scotland now do not transmit it. I prefer the old format. I dozed off watching the opening five minutes when I saw it in London. Back to the old format please or if you must change it a little umph not what's on now PETER FINCHAM PLEASE NOTE HAVE A WORD WITH STV. ITV might be then in profit. STV stop being so Scottish and bring it back. With progs like how to make a haggis!!!!!!!!

chajun

[15]Aug 21, 2009
    • level: 1
    Didn't realise they had sacked PC Stamp. What's going on ?????????

Placebo_obecalP

[16]Aug 27, 2009
    Ageism.

Sonic2k5

[17]Aug 29, 2009
    With The Bill in the UK being cut to one ep a week does that mean the ABC in Australia will do the same or will we continue our current setup of one night 2 eps ????

leguru

[18]Sep 12, 2009
    • level: 16
    As of 12 Sep ("Conviction: Breaking Point") we went to one episode per week, so it seems the ABC want us to stay two months behind the UK.